Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

What’s this about an app icon? I have never seen it change and can’t find a setting.

Make sure you’re updated to the newest version of the app (3.28 I think) and scroll to the bottom of the settings screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If anybody actually does manage to log in to the iOS app on Android, please let us know.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

An ad blocker isn't gonna have any effect in Awful. And for the record, I see the issue too.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Grace Baiting posted:

v3.33, released 3 days ago on App Store posted:

• Images in tweets return triumphantly!

I had no idea. I really wish the App Store/Testflight handled situations like this where a build never goes through beta releases more smoothly.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm going to dissent and say that while it certainly needs to be adjusted, making it a user setting is a terrible way to "fix" the problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

shortspecialbus posted:

Eh, whatever then. I'm not going to get into a philosophical argument about it. It would be nice if it worked better. Would it help if I took a video of how it seems to work, if you don't have access to an ipad?

I agree that it's way too sensitive currently. I trigger it accidentally a lot myself. And I'm not philosophically opposed to ever adding settings, but you have to be careful because every new setting adds more complexity both for the users and the developers, and this specific issue can be solved without adding a setting by just playing with the sensitivity until it feels right. It would be different if there was a lot of disagreement about how sensitive it should be, but everyone pretty much seems to agree that the current version is too sensitive.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Personally I think think every app should do what Tweetbot does: make it so tapping again returns you back to your previous position.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Freezer posted:

Apologies if this had been asked before, but I was just handed an old ipad2 which I intend to use mostly as e-reader and light browsing platform. It was given to me running on ios9, which made it laggy as hell and nearly unusable, so I decided to jailbreak it and downgrade it back to ios6 which mostly solved the problem - it reacts fast and snappy now.

When installing the awful app from the store, it told me that the newest version is ios9 only but I could install an older compatible one, which I did. It installed just fine, but for some reason won't let me log in. I double checked the login data a bunch of times and same result - login error. Anyone got any idea of what's going on? Is the app so old that it's broken?

The forums started requiring HTTPS for logging in at some point in the last couple years, long after the app dropped iOS 6 compatibility, so basically that version of the app won't work with the current forums.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I vote we stay at GitHub.

But I'm open to moving if people wanna move.

I vote for Visual Studio Team Services :D

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

The X is a new "missing tag" icon.

I really don't like it. (No offense to Spanky. I like what he's done overall.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Apple's not exactly known for being clear and consistent in its app review policies.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Is that the reason that embedded twitter videos won’t play?

I don't think it is. The APIs that Twitter discontinued shouldn't have anything to do with this. I think people have spent some time looking at it, but haven't actually been able to figure out yet why they're not working.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pokeyman and any of the other developers - I've pushed an increased the pull for next page threshold to the repo. It feels good to me, but I'd like to get some more opinions.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Regular Nintendo posted:

I added a toggle to just shut off pull to refresh if that works for you

I think that's a good setting to add, but I wouldn't shut it off myself. Pull for next page and pull to refresh are features I want to use, I just think they're way too sensitive, and I don't think I'm alone in that based on the last couple years worth of posts on the topic.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

I feel like it should only take effect if you're at the bottom of the page and not currently scrolling. How hard would that be to detect and implement?

My only problem with pull-to-refresh is when I'm cruising down to the bottom of the page and accidentally swipe because I either still have scroll momentum going or I'm on autopilot and hit the bottom half a second ago.

That makes sense, but I'm not much of an iOS developer, so I honestly don't know how hard it would be. I'm a front-end web developer who can figure out just enough of what's going on in the app's codebase to occasionally contribute some more straightforward changes.

In my admittedly limited and unscientific testing, just increasing how far you have to scroll past the bottom seems to have made it way harder to accidentally trigger it while scrolling. I'd still like to see how other people feel after they try it, but to me it feels like this simpler approach might solve the problem.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

People are also talking about it in the Awful for Android thread and the QCS Technical thread, so I don't think it's an issue with the app.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

I'll make a beta with it. Just two weeks after you push the commit! Where's my maintainer-of-the-month award.

I know how it is. I figured out an issue with it that could be improved about two hours after the commit, and I still haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, sorry, that's on me. So when I posted this:

quote:

I figured out an issue with it that could be improved about two hours after the commit, and I still haven't gotten around to actually doing anything about it.

I was referring to the fact that the current distance seems to be somewhat dependent on the length of the page you're on, and as a result can be waaaaay too far a lot of the time.

I always intended to fix that, but I'd been lazy and I didn't realize until right now that Pokeyman had released the change on the App Store. I'll try to make a fix today, and hopefully Pokeyman can release it before too long.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

I still think there's a bug here we haven't caught yet. Before the latest change, sometimes on my XS Max I would notice it had a hair trigger, like it was already half-way through the threshold the moment I started the pull. Other times it seemed normal, but I couldn't figure out a pattern so I had no ideas on what to do to fix it.

I figured something out that might be what you're noticing. If you're on a page where the content doesn't fill the whole screen (like say there's only one short post showing) you have to pull a lot further to trigger it. The latest version makes that way worse since I increased the distance you have to pull across the board.

carry on then posted:

I also wonder if it's screen size dependent. Did someone test the new values on both an SE and XS Max?

I don't have any actual devices to test on besides a X, but I played with it this morning at SE size in the simulator, and I do think that makes a difference.

I pushed a change to the repo that I think should address both issues.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Tap to play GIFs seem to be acting funky in the beta. Here's a post full of them as an example: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3870242&perpage=40&pagenumber=57#post489532519

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I'm pretty sure Lowtax or somebody added the couple of lines of CSS that make timg unnecessary several years ago anyway. (I almost never use the forums outside of the app these days though, so I wouldn't know if it had been reverted at some point.)

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah I'm getting crashes when trying to open almost any thread, whether from bookmarks or from a forum. Strangely enough, a few threads have worked, but I haven't been able to find a pattern.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I just noticed in the last couple days that when the app is restored from memory with a thread open, the text size ends up larger than I have it set.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Like the oled theme a lot. One complaint though, the highlight color when you tap on a thread is way too bright.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I haven't seen the issue myself, but based on the screen capture, it looks like the whole page view is resizing, it's not just the text. It looks like a tweet or whatever is loading that's wider than the page, then a split second later it readjusts to match the correct width. That's just a guess based on the video though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

10 Beers posted:

So whenever I try to go I to Goons With Spoons on the app, it takes me to Crackhead Clubhouse instead. Is this happening with anyone else?

Not a bug. Goons with Spoons was renamed "The Sub Forum" and Crackhead Clubhouse was renamed "Goons with Spoons".

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

What the heck is SALR? It’s the first I’ve heard of it.

Something Awful Last Read. It's a customizable browser extension for adding extra functionality to the forums. It's been around so long that it's named for a feature that's been a native part of the forums for ~15 years.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

spanky the dolphin posted:

The new themed light mode looks great. I noticed it's called Bright Light in menu which is still sort of confusing. We now have:

Classic
Classic Dark
Alternate
Alternate Dark
Bright Light
OLED Dark

It's sort of an excessive set of options IMO. Wouldn't it makes sense to phase out the old alternate ones and relabel the two new ones Light / Dark and make them the default? They seem better in every way to me. Placing these as default would let people know there's that option straight away without looking at the change notes and they could go find the legacy theme if they prefer them.

We should also destroy the current default app icon cause it looks ugly as gently caress compared to the others.

Agree with this.

Only issue is that in the new "bright" theme, it's hard to tell the difference between read/unread posts. Not sure if the background is the same or just so similar that my eyes can't distinguish them.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Pretty sure that's an OS bug. I saw the same thing with Tweetbot the other day.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

People have also been posting about it in the thread for the Android Awful app. YouTube must have changed how embeds work.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

You’re not accidentally touching the scroll indicator, are you? As of iOS 13, you can grab it to scroll quickly, but I find myself doing it accidentally all the time.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

carry on then posted:

It’s toggleable in setttings if you don’t use the feature and the prompts are annoying. We might have to start defaulting to Off because complaints will be coming once iOS 14 releases.

I think 14 also added an API that will actually let you check if the clipboard contents match some pattern before reading it, so theoretically Awful could ask iOS if it’s an SA url and then only actually read it if that check comes back true.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Well we use imgur urls too for stuff.

I’m talking specifically about when Awful automatically reads your clipboard when you open the app, not when a user manually tells it to paste. Only SA urls are relevant there.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

New version still didn’t work at first for me either, but I found a way to make it work without deleting and reinstalling. Jumping directly to one of my favorite forums from the long press/3D touch menu seemed to make it work again.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It can also be toggled off in Settings.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Gonna agree with The Dave on this one. I’m sure some tweaks could improve it, but I really just don’t think that the overall direction is an improvement.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

iPhone X, iOS 14, Awful 4.10

I’m slow on new username/avatar features, but the weird colorization on that user Peta seemed odd:

Is that intentional?

That is intentional. Their user name was given that treatment on the actual forums several years ago because they used to always post in QCS asking when 3D browsing would be enabled on the forums. I added it to the app css to match. I almost never browse the forums anywhere but the app anymore, so I have no idea if they still have that on the site.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 13.7

echi got dinged and I wanted to see the probe reason - tap user pic, select 'rap sheet' = app crash. Tested three times, same behaviour

From this post: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3903757&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=693#post509214341

Edit: huh, tried my own rap sheet link, worked fine, tried the above again, worked fine. Chalk it up to 'one of those things'.

Can confirm that that same rap sheet crashed the app for me twice, then worked fine after I looked at yours first.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I added alt text to these at some point and that's probably what's doing this.

I think it’s unrelated. It’s been like that for a while. I think it’s supposed to show the tag name for ones that don’t have a custom square icon yet, but it’s got some boolean check inverted so it’s showing it for the wrong ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

When you read a thread, essentially the app gets the web page, pulls out the relevant data, and builds its own custom web page out of it. It’s then displayed using a web view control that Apple provides (not Safari per se, but it’s basically the same underlying engine). I’m almost certain that iOS ad blockers have no effect on the type of web view that the app uses though. Any change you’re seeing in the behavior of embedded YouTube videos is most likely just because of a change on YouTube’s end.