Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The link in Settings to this thread goes to the old, broken thread.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, it works for me now too.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
What version of iOS 11? I haven't had that problem with any of the betas.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Drastic Actions posted:

https://twitter.com/drasticactionSA/status/926608472078209024

That's the only weirdness I've seen so far, but I'm not sure if that's app related, auto layout stuff, or something else. It's not a big deal though, just something I noticed.
I mentioned the diagonal slide on my 6s a while ago and was told it's normal.

pokeyman posted:

anthonypants posted:

When I swipe from a thread back into my bookmarks, is it supposed to bring the bookmarks in at a slight diagonal? I'm pretty sure it used to be flat horizontal. iPhone 6s, iOS 11.1 public beta 3, Awful 3.28
I think this is an iOS 11 change? The table scrolls up along with the usual horizontal animation.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Nov 4, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

maskenfreiheit posted:

I keep getting an error code 100 when trying to upload an image from my phone ☹️
Is it this one?

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah this is the same one I've been getting on my 7+ since I switched photo format to High Efficiency. I think Imgur doesn't take HEIC photos.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I don't know if this is a thing you can troubleshoot but I use Swype as my keyboard, and every so often while I'm in Awful, the keyboard will jump to the number/special character keyboard and stop responding. This didn't happen on my 6s, so maybe there's some iPhone X bug in Swype or Awful that needs to be addressed? It's happened on iOS 11.2 and 11.2.1.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
It already sorts chronologically in order of the last post made in the thread, what do you really want it to do?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

OldAlias posted:

hello, there is an issue uploading iPhone screenshots that have been cropped using the new function to imgur via Awful, and results in Protocol error: code 100. it works if I upload to imgur directly, and if I were to redownload from this link, it posts from Awful fine. if the issue has been noted already, apologies
Is it this one?

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah this is the same one I've been getting on my 7+ since I switched photo format to High Efficiency. I think Imgur doesn't take HEIC photos.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

kimbo305 posted:

Was there a change at some point for the pull-up distance needed to browse to the next page? I feel like I never triggered that accidentally but now I do it all the time. Maybe it's just a function of where I start the drag on the iPhone X vs the 6.
It's definitely the iPhone X, it's triggered when the circle icon is about halfway visible.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Tell your adblocker to stop blocking Twitter.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
whoops, forgot what thread I was in

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Maybe it's the forums or twitter, because now I'm getting DOMExceptions on tweets on desktop Chrome

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I'm seeing the same half-embedded tweets on desktop Chrome on other websites, so it's either a problem with twitter, or they changed their API or something

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

You’re quite toxic about it. Perhaps going outside every once in a while might help?

In the future, instead of giving vague snarky remark, you could just give a clear answer or just say the answer was a few posts up rather than “in the thread”.
If you get called out for having problems with reading comprehension it's okay to admit you were wrong. You don't need to behave like a petulant child.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Zesty posted:

Some people just decided to be goons over it.
Yes, you did.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Grace Baiting posted:

Make sure to install the iOS upgrade (once it’s released) that protects against Meltdown in future posting
11.2.2 came out on the 8th. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208401

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/anthonypants/status/953738517372383232

Only registered members can see post attachments!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Nude posted:

Relax. I didn't read one post big deal. Anyway Grace Baiting did answer my question and the issue was resolved there. But of course some of you had to be goons about it.
No one is able to tell if you will be able to understand this, but the twitter images bug was fixed in the latest version of the app, and you can download it from the app store.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Real hurthling! posted:

Any chance the awful browser could block redirect ads?
Do you mean like when you click on a link inside of a post, and it opens a browser, and inside of that browser is an ad that redirects you somewhere else? That sort of thing is well outside of the Awful app.

If you're talking about the redirect ads that show up at the top of the page when you're browsing the forums on mobile Safari, the Awful app does not show any of those ads at all.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

goferchan posted:

Try a VPN based adblocker, it should help system-wide with stuff like that https://bit.ly/nomobileads3
A service like that is literally designed to capture all of your network traffic.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

dont be mean to me posted:

For the ones that roll their own web view to force ads: One-star those fuckers and then don't use them anymore.
For the one linked above, the first and second questions of the FAQ are regarding the installation of their custom root certificate.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Or, you just turn off HEIC.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Seems like they work for me but maybe I'm in the wrong forum

(from this thread)

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Install some sort of intrusive adblocker, or connect to a network which will filter that image's URL for you.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
You deleted your post but sometimes Swype (rip) fucks up and what I do to fix it is to go to General > Keyboard > Keyboards > Swype and toggle Allow Full Access off and back on.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tyler d00rden posted:

If you let me turn off auto timg I will give you one million dollars
You have my permission to turn off auto timg. Please send me one million dollars thank you

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

That Robot posted:

Why does Awful keep having the new message icon for PMs when I already read the message and restarted the app multiple times? This is iOS on the newest version, running on an iPhone X.
Is it the one for forum-wide announcements?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I was getting image upload errors trying to make any posts last night, which I thought might have been because I had included a tweet, but just making a text-only post with no bbcode tags threw the same error. Might be because I'm on 11.4.1 public beta 3, but now it seems to be working? :iiam:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Coq au Nandos posted:

The forums broke last night.
:ms:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

tyler posted:

Having trouble keeping track of all the pms with girls
then maybe you ought to stop harassing them

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Regular Nintendo posted:

I'm very bad at regex so if someone could share one that'd trim out everything past the ? In a forums twitter url (so I don't have to remove the tracker info when i go to share a twitter link from the forums) ill buy you an av
A very bad regex substitution would take (.*)\? and replace it with $1

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

Can we start scraping https://www.twitter.com and mobile.twitter.com? Maybe it’s bad to diverge from the site there, I dunno. (Why doesn’t the site do it?)
What do you mean?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

No, I think it’s because of lovely JS from Twitter.
Also, adblocking.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

I need to find a website with a Twitter embed video first, and then I'll grab you that shot. Because I "approved" it, it might not show up.
Website with an embedded video tweet: https://www.wweek.com/news/2018/09/12/portland-thunderstorm-turns-laurelhurst-streets-into-ponds/

That embedded video tweet: https://twitter.com/TheUnipiper/status/1040063880850862080

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Screenshots of those views in the app:

and in safari:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

And my first click:

Are you in a GDPR country?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

I run Pi Hole on my home network
There's your problem.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Stare-Out posted:

I'm not exactly in the know, but why is Awful not being embraced as the official Something Awful app? Considering how much work goes into it and just how drat good it is, I can't help but wonder why it's not being promoted as the go-to mobile solution for using the forums.
The announcement implies Google is penalizing the forums in some way "for not having a mobile responsive layout".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
I opened the app, the bookmarks screen loaded, I tried to swipe to refresh before the app did, and crashed to the home screen.
Opened the app again, bookmarks screen loaded and immediately kicked me out to the home screen.
Opened the app a third time, loaded the main forums page, no crash.

I'm on 3.38, I don't think that's a beta?