Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I apologize if this is already well known (I've only been following the last few pages), but what's up with Twitter embeds lately?

1) Videos don't play; you can tap to "activate" a video, but then it never starts playing

2) Some tweets have this blue quoted subtweet attached to them, and the formatting is all weird, with blue checks misaligned and the blue text sometimes getting partially cut off (can't find an example of the latter just now):

3) Tweets with images sometimes squash them to the wrong proportions (I think if they're taller than a certain threshold):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Diabolik900 posted:

I think that's a good setting to add, but I wouldn't shut it off myself. Pull for next page and pull to refresh are features I want to use, I just think they're way too sensitive, and I don't think I'm alone in that based on the last couple years worth of posts on the topic.

I feel like it should only take effect if you're at the bottom of the page and not currently scrolling. How hard would that be to detect and implement?

My only problem with pull-for-next-page is when I'm cruising down to the bottom of the page and accidentally swipe up because I either still have scroll momentum going or I'm on autopilot and hit the bottom half a second ago.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feature request: how about not showing the unread indicator if it’s 0?

Way easier to tell if I’m caught up if there’s simply nothing there as opposed to a digit that might be a 6 or a 3 or something if I’m glancing or scrolling.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Do they? I never noticed they were different colors until you pointed it out just now.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm talking about the bookmarks view.

Desktop site, the indicators for "there are unread posts" and "there are no unread posts" are extremely different in shape yet still give you a control for marking unread, etc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I generally use the bookmarks view exclusively.

So there are two main use cases here, and an indicator should ideally work well for both. How about if the 0 were just in a light gray instead of black? I realize I'm apparently doubly an outlier here (1. bookmarks-only viewer and 2. colorblind), but graying-out of features has always suited my personal tastes well.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah, that was what I was suggesting. Have it so it has to be at least 500ms after scrolling comes to a stop before pulling triggers a next-page.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

^^ FWIW, the one-and-only reason “pull to X” exists as a thing is discoverability. Any other gesture and it would have to be a documented/hidden feature.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

My findings are that a page where tweets are broken will always be broken, whether you kill/restart the app or not, and the next page will probably work fine (in other words it’s not like a memory leak or a “tweets are poisoned now, bounce the app” condition).

Just keep browsing and leave that page for dead.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heh, sounds like some test code got left in :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spanky the dolphin posted:

Lepers is the trouble icon. And there isn't an easy representation of lepers or what the lepers colony is that will translate as far as I know. Without the label of a new user might assume it's deleted messages or something.

A severed finger?

(Though maybe what we really are saying here is let's get away from that term in the first place)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

GutBomb posted:

Pages that contain deleted tweets now render the rest of the tweets correctly! Thank you!!!

:dance: Much obliged!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:buddy:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feature request, diagonal banner across the top left that says “lol look at this dumb poo poo”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just 👏 put 👏 a 👏 delay

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

pokeyman posted:

Delays really frustrate me, so I'm not a huge fan of this, though I appreciate the idea!

I guess what I'm thinking is, is there really a use case where a delay is not helpful? Do you ever find yourself power-scrolling down a page, reaching the bottom, and wanting to immediately pull the next page as part of the same gesture (or rapid sequence of autopilot gestures), as opposed to taking half a second to look at the last post in the page or let the scroll movement settle before wanting to intentionally pull?

Any mechanism that breaks up that gesture/scroll sequence, or disables pulling in the situation where that's what you're doing, would solve the problem IMO. Any way to differentiate that you're in the process of actively scrolling, and not allow pulling to work during that time. A delay would do that, but something else might too.

Or implement the Chrome-like behavior, either way.

I know this is not that easy to nail down "correctness", and thank you for making the game attempt.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

MarcusSA posted:

I have a feeling that would not get through the Apple filter.

It’s loving awesome though lol

It would probably also raise a few eyebrows in E/N

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I saw someone else mention it, so +1 on that thing where when you’re scrolling down a thread, it will occasionally go into this weird state where it forces the view to slowly scroll upward while simultaneously moving the toolbar (with “scroll to end” and “parent forum”) into view. If you scroll manually while it’s doing this, the whole view shudders as it fights you.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That’s certainly a valid point. I know it contributes in my case.

E: one idea might be to signal that you’re nearing the last post on the page with a background color change (gradient?) or something like that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A small thing:

If someone puts a gif in spoiler tags, there seems to be no way to make it play, since tapping on the play button makes it re-spoiler.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We've uncovered a rather profound social insight, that some people never give a second thought to the things they have sent, while others agonize over them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Or WWIV message packets

:f5:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I feel dumb but could someone explain what the deal is with the OLED theme? Why is it so great on an OLED screen?

I just have a regular X so it just looks like light text on dark. If I had an OLED phone would it be psychedelic or something?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah, I see. Don’t mind me :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hmm, am I hallucinating or is pinch-to-zoom a thing now (and wasn’t one before)?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m not especially wild about the zoom, but it seems to have killed that thing where the view judders when scrolling because the pull-down toolbar is trying to come into view. So that’s a net plusplusplus to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

What is going on with this username.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Smart quotes seem to sporadically go wonky and disappear during preview / post. Then they get better after a few minutes. :iiam:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whether the solution is simple or not, I think it's probably a pretty common use case. I do it a lot myself.

It's definitely a side effect of a fundamental forum design issue, so I'd want to tease out potential X-Y problems first, if possible.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Sockser posted:

Mii
Much Joan
WIs n jejujm mum

There's a Newton version now??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:five:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

stuffed crust punk posted:

When I long-touch to open an image in the new-style modal, it always selects text in the presenting viewcontroller. Anyone else seeing this?

Yup

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I’m back to tweets now always opening in Safari instead of Twitter. Tried twiddling all the related prefs, restarting, etc.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God what an insane set of requirements this loving application has

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The_Doctor posted:

Awful used to open the twitter app if you pressed on an imbedded tweet, and now it just opens them in a Safari window?

It sometimes does that to me too. It's like it just gets into a "mood" for a while; eventually (after a couple days) it goes back to normal. :iiam:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ahh, well that's good to know at least. Means it can probably be trained based on whether I've used the Twitter app versus website most recently or something, so I won't blame it on Awful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It would be pretty neat if the app could somehow disable the feature if it isn't going to work.

Like I don't know if there's some kind of central microservice that could be added to the main site where like, if one user's imgur upload fails, it sets a flag on the central SA server (or somewhere else, maybe even something like a gsheet) and then everyone else's iOS app knows not to even try posting images anymore, and maybe show a banner saying why not, and then the flag gets cleared at the beginning of the month, or something like that.

Of course it would be way more ideal if the quota just didn't fill up in the first place. And this would be a finicky and fragile solution, and maybe involve more recurring maintenance than is warranted. But I dunno, just throwing it out there.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

carry on then posted:

It sounds like it's an issue with either fetching or storing the list of forums but if it persists across reinstalls I have no idea...

At some point I think we switched to using a JSON endpoint Jeffery provided, shine the pokeyman symbol into the sky since he's probably our only hope.

Out of sheer curiosity, someone having problems use their device to visit https://forums.somethingawful.com/index.php?json=1 in a browser and see what you get.

Aside from a nerd boner?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Uselessly posting "same" to the above. Didn't even know that option existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Subjunctive posted:

Safari in the latest beta supports the WebP image format

Christ I'm glad to hear that. People have been imgur'ing WebPs all over the place and have no idea they're broken for people not using Chrome (not that they should have to care).