Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
So there's been some discussion in the iPhone thread about uploading pictures to Imgur through the app. I think it's an understood thing that trying to do so fails about 99% of the time, most people seem to think for API rate limit reasons, but I swear to god that there is a way to upload pictures to Imgur with 100% success rate in my experience.

This way fails most of the time:
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap From Library
  • Choose picture

I have never seen this method fail:
  • Copy picture you want to upload (as in tap on the image, or share button, and hit copy)
  • Tap empty text field
  • Tap [img]
  • Tap Paste

I tried looking into the code to see where these events were called/handled but I don't know enough about iOS programming to know what the hell I'm looking for. I grepped for 'imgur' but don't really know enough Swift to understand what I was looking at. I just want to know if these two methods are actually calling different methods or using different inputs somehow, or if I am just super lucky.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Would it be possible to add a feature to (locally) block mods from showing up in the app? The website won’t let me do that.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I’m getting this bug on my Xs (iOS 12.4) where the threads in the Bookmarks tab aren’t tappable anymore. I can still scroll in there, but tapping on a thread does nothing. Only way to fix this is by force closing the app and restarting. I want to say I’m also able to force touch the thread and it’ll pop open and then they’re all tappable again but I can’t confirm this atm cause I don’t have the phone with me. I tried reproducing it but haven’t been able to do it so it just comes and goes. Sorry I don’t have more info :(

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Downloaded the new update, and the app icon with an alternate icon is being weird.

Other apps with alternate icons don’t seem to do this?

(It switches back to the original icon momentarily before changing to the one I picked.)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That’s really weird because it works just fine for apps like 1Password. Not that I don’t believe you just that it’s weird that it only affects some apps it seems.

For the record everyone of you are seeing this with Awful?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ya

https://i.imgur.com/qAFB26G

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t know if it’s intentional, but when I long touch a thread in the “forums” tab (as opposed to bookmark tab) the “mark unread” button just says “mark.” It confused me when I was trying to mark a thread I accidentally tapped on as unread and couldn’t find it.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 8, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

I love dark mode a lot but I kinda feel like the shade of blue the posts turn when you mark them read might be just a tad too black.

Like I can definitely notice it but I feel like it should be just a touch more prominent.

I’ve just marked a post and then kept reading and it takes a second to see where I left off.

Anyone else think the same or is it fine the way it is?

I agree it could be a bit more lighter or prominent somehow.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No need to apologize!

Can I also request a feature to open tweets in different apps? I think Apollo lets you choose between the Twitter app, tweetbot, or safari etc.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I hope the new new update works cause I’m too lazy to reinstall because settings don’t persist 😭

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

4.9 fixes the issue without having to uninstall the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

As I scroll down further, I get higher numbers of them. :ohdear:

what's wrong with this one

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Why does Agenda show up here as a password manager when I tap on the key thing next to the password field? Not really a problem just kinda weird.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

The_Doctor posted:

Erm. How can I fix this?

Can you just make a widget that showed nothing but these beer doges please and thank you.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Would it be possible/difficult to block tweets from specific users from rendering similar to the ignore user feature? I’m tired of seeing people post this @dril person in D&D.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I'm here because my icon reset for some reason and in changing it back I want to ask

Can we get a cat themed icon like the doggo one too

Who's face is this

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Ok but seriously though, why does the REPORT and QUOTE button keep swapping places? I thought I was going crazy cause I would try to quote people (via muscle memory) and the report post page would come up but only some times. I finally got a picture of it happening:

… but I don't know how to upload any pictures.

E: apparently this is how things are now. Truly awful.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Mar 5, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oh my god this is gonna be one of those things like how apple made the trackpad scroll the wrong way because it was "more natural" and now that's the default way on everything.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Hey goons I made a thing to upload pictures to postimages thanks to someone else reverse engineering their API:

https://github.com/ShareX/ShareX/issues/472

Taking a screenshot and uploading via a shortcut:

Here's the shortcut:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/aac0490fbdb349a1bd78dab37b5d7d67

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1
(this one has a menu to copy the url or timg code)

Someone better than me can play with the shortcut a bit and post an even better version.

There is an API token in the shortcut which was just obtained by right click view source. It's the same token that's posted in that GitHub.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

test

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Testing

It seems to work but doesn’t automatically make the link go to the clipboard.

Thanks!

Yeah I forgot to add that in. The shortcut I uploaded you need to tap on the notification/alert and then manually copy. Someone else can fix the shortcut I'm too tired and my catboss is questioning my use of company time.

E: please don't do anything dumb like uploading the shortcut to Reddit or one of those shortcut repository websites. I'm not sure how often/if that website changes their api token but if they did then the shortcut is dead until someone fixes it.

E2: added a new version that asks if you want to copy the url, timg code, or quick look to see the url (to pass into another shortcut, for example)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

Testing

It seems to work but doesn’t automatically make the link go to the clipboard.

Thanks!

I fixed it:

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/05a19d6803b444a98e1f5577e693d9d1

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I looked a while ago at adding native support to them in the app, but they didn’t have an appropriate API for it. Hopefully that’s better now.

If you wanted to take another look the GitHub issue I posted should give you enough information to make a POST call to upload a picture. All I did was take that and turn it into a shortcut. The POST returns a json object with a key "url" to the image upload page with the different url formats (and a link to delete the image, which might be useful?). I had to do a regex to get the direct url from there.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, I hacked up a prototype of this before but without a way to get a “legal” API key I worry that it would be too fragile and lead to a stampede of complaints and frustration if/when postimages invalidated the key. I guess I’ll see what happens with ShareX!

Thanks for looking into this!

I just created an account on the website and was able to pull a custom(?) key from

https://postimages.org/login/api

The key is different from the one you see when you right click view source on the main page.

They also have this message in their plugins page:

quote:

Please contact us if you have any problems or questions. We can even help you integrate your website with us for free!

Might be worth having someone shoot them an email I suppose.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 19, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's a share sheet extension, so you wouldn't use it with Siri. Find a picture of a good catte and share the picture and choose the shortcut. You'll need to accept/allow url access the first time you use it but after that it should stop asking.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Warbird posted:

Edit: sick. Thanks for sharing. I need to see if I can rejigger it too as to a specific account/key. Nothing against OP but I like to keep my stuff where it can have an eye kept on it. Maybe I should self host something.

Register an account at postimages and then visit this url:

You'll get your own api key and you can just replace the api key in the shortcut. I haven't tried this but I imagine this will associate your uploads to your own account.

No offense taken. The existing api key is the one you see when you right click the website and show source.

E: never mind, this doesn't work

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 22, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

for some unknown reason i still get the no valid url error with this, what am i doing wrong?

I'm not sure, but my two guesses are (1) shortcut permission error and (2) you tried to upload an unsupported format so the upload failed, and if that happened the second "get url" in the shortcut (you can see it in the picture above) won't be valid.

For (1) try running the shortcut directly from the shortcuts app and "always allow" permission to access the two(?) postimages urls that get called.

Maybe also try going into Settings > Shortcuts > Advanced > ✅ Allow Sharing Large Amounts of Data. Maybe the picture of your catte was too big.

Also I hope all this chat about this shortcut ITT isn't upsetting any of you guys working on the app. I saw a few posts on the page before I posted the shortcut complaining about the imgur shortcut being broken so I just posted it here first.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Oops, yeah, I see the following error:

code:
{"status":"error","error":"Forbidden"}
Sorry, looks like using your own api token is more complicated than simply changing the tokens. I suspect that long string of a... needs to be "correct" for the token as well. How to get that value, I have no idea.

E: vvv just wanna be clear, the token in the shortcut isn't mine; it's the one baked into the post images website and you can verify it by viewing the source code on a computer and searching for that token. The website can at any moment change the api token and this shortcut will break. But they haven't changed it as far back as 2018 I believe. vvv

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 22, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

thank you. i found it works until i change my api token. will mess around with it more.

Yeah, I think the upload_session string needs to change too. Just reading the GitHub thread I linked before, this post specifically says:

quote:

the session is a random generated string in the script

I'm not sure where they got the aaaa...aaa from either. But it's probably a default anonymous session for that public facing api token.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

`Nemesis posted:

So is everyone just using the anon token, or what steps am i missing to use my own token?

thanks again for the help

Correct. The api token saved in the shortcut is the same api token that is visible on the postimages website when you view the source code. So it's not my api token, it's the one everyone uses when they upload anything to the website directly.

Just hopped on a computer to check this out more.

Here is how the upload_session string is generated:

code:
function rand_string(e) {
    for (var t = "", i = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ0123456789", n = 0; n < e; n++)
        t += i.charAt(Math.floor(Math.random() * i.length));
    return t
}

var upload_session = rand_string(32);
Seems straightforward enough, but adding that + a custom api key doesn't work. I don't know how to fix this.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

That's awesome. Thanks! So I take this to mean that my shortcut is probably fine, because if they invalidate the key then it invalidates all of their plugins that they've shipped.

By the way, here is a short 16 step guide for using Imgur on Android to post pictures:

Microplastics posted:

Your post spurred me to look into this a little closer. Turns out, it's a toss-up as to whether hidden images appear on the "hidden" tab or not, so "all" is your best bet.

So here is my tried and tested 16-tap guide for the imgur app

1. Open app
2. Tap upload button
3. Tap image(s)
4. Tap Next
5. Tap Post
6. Tap user account button
7. Tap "Public"
8. Tap "All"
9. Tap the freshly uploaded image
10. Tap it again
11. Tap the share button
12. Tap copy next to the URL
13. Switch to awful where your post is in draft
14. Tap BB button
15. Tap Insert Image
16. Tap OK

Voila

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Perhaps an alternative to baking in postimages support into Awful.app would be to just add a link somewhere in settings to the shortcut where it's more visible. Then you wouldn't have to provide support if it breaks because, you know, it's not Awful.app it's "just a shortcut". I have no idea how long these shortcuts share links last or if there's a better way to support/link to a shortcut. I'm also fine with someone taking the shortcut and repurposing it with better error handling and stripping metadata and calling it the official unofficial awful image uploader shortcut without giving me any credit (I literally copied what the people on that GitHub issues posted anyway).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

No idea what cat box is so I looked it up. Apparently it's also blocked by Spectrum, Verizon, and Comcast. And they don't seem to allow image hot linking:

quote:

You cannot use Catbox for commercial services without prior approval. Examples include: a CDN (Content Delivery Network); image host for your business/ecommerce site (embedding hotlinks to Catbox files on your Wordpress site); or as source for videos that are streamed on sites other than files.catbox.moe directly.

Clarification on the above: this only applies to files that are hotlinked outside of Catbox. If you create art, animations, or otherwise, you are free to distribute your creations via Catbox.
Should you violate any of the above banned content, your offending files will be deleted, your account (should you have one) banned, and your IP blacklisted.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's not an easy problem to solve because url parameters are totally valid in some cases, like for the aforementioned timestamp on YouTube, or searching on Google. For example if I search "something awful" on google in a private window I get the following:

code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=something+awful&
Where there's literally 1105 more characters appended at the end. All of it is probably used to identify who I am, while the part above is sufficient to actually run the search (without the &).

Not sure how you would make a single rule that would stop out all these extra parameters, while also keeping the ones that matter, like q= in this case.

But anyway, I do have a shortcut for this that I made some time ago. It won't work for things like Google because it'll strip everting after the "?" sign. But it works for most websites.

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/a6ac7a8b61ba43c684484eda617b2041

Highlight a url or share the link, select the shortcut, and then copy the resulting URL's

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I appreciate the coincidence with the usernames here, mrfart and fartknocker.

---

I just tried to post too fast in a slow thread and got this error message:

I'm assuming the message title is wrong.

E: maybe it should say "this thread" as well?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

It's tempting but then you need to have some sort of policies in place for removing content that violates things like GDPR or the CA version of it, or content that is CSAM and and and… or even just simple copyrighted material. Probably better off letting someone else handle all that lol.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

obi_ant posted:

Is there a way to link a Post Image account to the image uploader (if I create an account)? My understanding is that everything is currently just uploaded into the void without the ability to modify or remove.

People itt tried but the answer is no.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

By the way, I would like to point out that the shortcut that has been shared ITT is a privacy risk. Unless you manually go to "Options" in the share sheet and turn off "Location" for each image you are about to share, your uploaded photo will include geographical coordinates. You can mitigate this by adding "Convert Image" step and messing with the "Preserve Metadata" settings.

I just uploaded a picture with location data and when I redownloaded it there was no location data or any exif data (doesn't even know what camera the picture was taken with). It's still good to keep these privacy things in mind though when you download a random script off a random website and upload pictures to another random website, though.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 25, 2024

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mawarannahr posted:

You need to go to "Download original image" on the postimages page for the image and then hit Download -- not View -- to save it as a file and not an image. Then you save it to your photo album from the Files app or share sheet overlay for the file object.

That's exactly what I did. This is the only metadata I get back:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wild EEPROM posted:

Weird new one:

After doing the extremely long press into the image viewer, pressing the menu in the corner to save the picture no longer has a save option. Just copy, share, etc. the closest is save to files (the cloud)
Edit options doesn’t have a save to device option either

Tried this in the yospos cat thread and image thread

I do not have the same problem. Have you tried scrolling down and tapping on "Edit Actions"?