Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Holy poo poo this thread exists. I assumed everyone associated with this project died in a terrible accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I smell a conspiracy:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s means using pure black as much as possible because of how rich it is on a Oled screen.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I want to play with some animation ideas and I chose awful as the base for it which meant recreating the layout, which meant messing around with the UI, which now means trying to make a OLED theme. Lots of half baked ideas, but pretttttty dark:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

spanky the dolphin posted:

I think I'll need to make the 'no thread tag' look more generic. Currently gives off too much of a something has gone wrong vibe.
Yeah I think the problem is the new no thread tag look is based on the icons, so it's a mis-match with the other thread tags and it stands out because of it. The goal isn't really to stand out and say "This tag doesn't work!" it's more so to blend in with the other tags when there is a problem. The original idea was it would blend in with the other thread tags but act as a to-do for Diabolik and me.

Could we maybe look at combining the existing theme options into a more concise menu that we could add an OLED one to? Rather than splitting light, dark and having an alt switch it could be arranged like

OG light / OG dark / Alt Light / Alt Dark / OLED. Shown as themed circles ala the 'style' menu in thread settings.

Honestly maintaining OG & Alt themes just seems silly. They're so similiar and I get you didn't want to step on any toes when you first did it but rip the band aid off. I personally like the OG more and want duller colors when I'm using the dark theme in low light but it's such a minor change people will adapt.

Maybe the best route would be choosing a base, light/dark/yospos, and then being able to customize a primary color with some presets provided.

Last night my mindset was simplify the app. Years ago my mindset was "Make it a mini version of the forums" but as I look at it I think there's things I just never need on mobile. This morning I realized that Awful and Slack are my two most used apps, and wondered if a more chatroom slack-style like design could help make it easier to digest threads.

This mock up is a little chaotic but it's trying to show off a couple of things, I think in regular use and in the middle of threads it would be super clean:

Also long term, if things pick up for me and designing screens out for fun, I'll move this from sketch to figma and anyone can collaborate in the design file.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah maybe one of these would work better? Or - and here's a thought I just had - What if it's whatever you set your app icon to?

I think that could work pretty well.

I do feel like a the post button should be one-tap away rather than (I assume) put in a menu somewhere.

Yeah it’s the catch of making that area bigger. My idea was the bottom right becomes a catch all three actions menu that includes reply. Also liked moving that action towards the bottom of the screen so then there’s nothing relying on the top bar and making everything very reachable.

Idea no one will like: reply as a 3D Touch shortcut option on that button.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah on second thought I guess it's not that big a deal. It's definitely more reachable, and quoting a post is two-taps currently too.

I don't think anyone would ever find that feature but it's not a terrible idea.

We've been talking a little bit about this at my UX consultancy, and where I go on this is it's okay to have a shortcut to an existing action that is not easy to find, as long as some sort of onboarding educates the user and gets them to understand it's there, kind of analogous with keyboard shortcuts.

So replying would live in both places, but the 3d touch shortcut is more 'hidden' and for 'power' users. Granted that example might be weird because reply is basically coming from the same button in both instances.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Spent a lot of time creating a real thread page in my new design mockup. Although I like the idea of decoupling the date from the time, it could look a little funky on a thread that doesn't have a lot of action.

Also started messing with the progress bar animation, I likes it.

I have no idea how to embed videos correctly

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I also imagine using menus like most apps use now (this iOS native component? that's my assumption):

Would be cool if I could timg mp4 files.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm just noticing maybe the thread tag is stretched on that menu? Whatever this is supposed to be rough.

It looks great.

Is there a reason to have the thread title at the top of that menu? It'd look heaps cleaner without.

I thought the context and showing the thread tag was nice? No functional support, I was thinking for user name taps you would get their name + title + Join date + avatar up top as well and I thought maybe this followed that template.

Same with the quote mark.

Not obvious, but I'm using the quote mark as a button to jump to the quoted post. Arguably does not have to be blue.

Is this the end of my icons :ohdear:

Oh no. I'm just using Font Awesome 5 to have something quick to put in these mock ups, no intention to redesign the solid work you've done but too lazy to manage them in my sketch file right now.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I think the new post time placement is good but they seem too prominent now. Could they be a bit smaller perhaps? Maybe am/pm could be lowercase with a space between the number and am/pm to make it less shouty.

Yeah I think they could use a little de-emphasis for sure. Same can be said for the date stamp. I'm kind of trying to still keep with AA accessibility because I do for work and it's like the right thing to do, even if it may be unnecessary for awful, but I'll see where I can get while sticking in those guidelines.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'm pretty sure collaborating with Lowtax would be the worst thing for the health of both the app and pokeyman.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey The Dave if I can help in any way with the OLED theme you've been working let me know. Graphics or mock ups or something.

I'm honestly not actively working on any of it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I feel left out, I haven't had any memory or grey bar issues. Also have been using betas though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I was just thinking, what if we put a crude pixelation on all the rejected thread icons? Half as a joke, half as an easy way to have the same colorization and appearance.

Can that be done through code?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

Ah ok thanks! Hopefully they get it figured out.

Last thing and a slight request but would it be possible to add a rotation lock to the app? Sometimes when I’m reading in bed it will rotate on me and it’s mildly annoying.

Gonna hop on my design box:

I think adding stuff like that, when it's easily accessible through the iOS control panel, only puts Awful in a worse place of bloat. It would be better to get into the habit of toggling it at the OS level and building up that muscle memory to make it feel seamless.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You probably just need to go into settings and re-add rotation lock to your control center.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I see it on desktop too.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Data Graham posted:

Feature request: how about not showing the unread indicator if it’s 0?

Way easier to tell if I’m caught up if there’s simply nothing there as opposed to a digit that might be a 6 or a 3 or something if I’m glancing or scrolling.

While I agree with you I feel the orange numbers vs. the grey numbers stand out pretty well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Well what view are we talking about? The 0 serves as a “I read this” indicator on the forums tab. New posts show in a light blue number which I agree could blend in with white. However there’s a difference there between 0 and no 0.

Now on bookmarks you’ll always have a number, and maybe that’s stupid, but it’s because you’ve usually read everything you’ve bookmarked. Unread counts are in orange, but now that I’m typing it out is that a setting you need to set on the desktop site?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh I think you’re totally justified and I actually spend a lot of my day job now making sure components follow good accessibility guidelines.

I also didn’t even have the foresight to think you were in the light theme because I’m exclusively dark. There’s no good reason it can’t be like #767676 which I think is the lightest you can go and still be AA compliant.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

quote:

e: the letter spacing under the icons for Forums, Messages, Bookmarks etc is now non-existent.

Now would be a good time to kill those labels altogether! :D

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I won't argue those icons immediately represent the areas of the app.
I will argue the learning curve is less than 1 minute and is worth the lifetime of a cleaner app appearance.

It's okay if things are a sliver discoverable.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah just anything silly, they tap it once and go “oh ok” and never go there again and the ui is way cleaner.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

pokeyman posted:

I need a more compelling reason than "a cleaner app appearance" if we're going to go against platform conventions and remove functionality (however small that functionality may be). If we have a better use for that space, or if they interfere with someone's use of the app, then I'm game.

That said, ianad, and I could be missing something here.

A cleaner app appearance means less visual clutter, which means less noise to draw your eyes to, gives more focus to the content that should be in focus. It sounds like a visual design only call but it has subtle affects on visually parsing a page.

If you look at some of the native first party apps (safari, mail) or some of the most used third party apps (facebook, instagram, twitter, linkedin, slack) you'll see them do the same. When you main content to consume is text, it better serves that content to not have competing text elements.

To be honest I'm not super passionate about this, I just think it's a nicer/better direction.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

What iOS are you even on?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Goons really are a special breed.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Toggles for everything is how you create a great android app.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

Not like this toggle didn't exist in the last double dot version release...

That doesn't invalidate my statement. I personally think the better approach is figuring out how to get it to work for everyone before lazily jumping to a toggle and a bloated app settings.

Though I will absolutely agree that it affects a wide type of users and has a super high rate of variability (posts on page, device) that you can't make a small change and push it without lots of testing. That's what the betas (should be) for though.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol so I've noticed most of them are from CSPAM where I hang out mostly

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875863

A lot have been removed because apple was rejecting the app because of them, could be getting caught in that as well.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I made this End of the Thread replacement gif.

(It should be grey like the current refresh arrow in use.)

I see it working either gradually as you pull or triggering to play once you pull enough.

Here's a link to the pngs.

If somebody could bung it in a beta for testing that'd be awesome!

The animation is cool/fun, however I think it's a lipstick on a pig situation (and maybe this wasn't even your intent).

The treatment of the bottom of the page needs to be something way more dramatic than an icon because people are just not able to identify the icon in time before the action is triggered. This isn't all UI, part of it is the actually values of the scroll trigger. However, I'd love to see what you could do with something more like this, 100% width that really punches you in the face that you have hit the end of the page. This is a super rough sketch of the idea:

https://i.imgur.com/sebXgxX.mp4

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s purely a design exploration, I’m not going to limit it based on feasibility at this point. Also to be honest it’s nothing unreasonable for an app design. Maybe for awful with how much it has to sacrifice being a scraper, but again that’s not really the point of a first round exploration.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

In my video mock that’s also what the progress border on the title bar is trying to accomplish.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah it’s been a feature many have brought up over the years, I totally get pokeyman not wanting to try and stir that hornet’s nest. Some sort of fuckery would need to be happening behind the scenes.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

TraderStav posted:

With all of the twitter embeds, images, and such it seems like the best option would be to have a program render the whole thread page by page and print to PDF or something similar. Clickable links would even be amazing too so I could just use that to work through old threads. I'm nearly finishing my binge through the Tech Relics thread and that would have been a great way to work through it.

That being said, I'm not sure this should be an Awful App feature but a standalone.

There's a couple things to consider:

- Does it persistently update itself or are you just saving the point you initiate save for later
- If it does, at what regularity does it scrape the thread for new content
- How does that affect your unread count with the forums themselves?

It's not like it's impossible it just really takes the scope of the app past a mobile view of the forums.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Regular Nintendo posted:

I found your secret menu

It was mentioned in this thread and is in the release notes for the last version. It was added to tweak pull to refresh values.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

No alt theme never had the bug, iPhone X /shrug

The Dave fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Feb 8, 2019

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Interesting take, because it’s trash and all. Has it been improved over the last 10 years? Because last I used it, woof.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

You're basically stuck with your first upload and it's completely immutable, right? I mean that totally fits the old SA pattern of "Make a mistake because you're not paying attention and pay for it idiot!" but I feel like we can be better than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Mm that would be fun to get into the beta built just to mess with and see what could be adjusted, looking great though.