Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I get having to log back in but why does it reset all the settings? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Warbird posted:

Was there ever any insight on what might be behind the “disappearing quotation marks” business? I just had it happen to be and it’s the weirdest drat thing.

Oh is that a thing? I thought maybe I was just very high or dreamt it but I definitely had a post eat my quotation marks

:tinfoil:
“Test”

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

The PYF meme thread just had some quote spamming of very tall images, that I wouldn’t expect to be very big file sizes, and should only have to cache in once, but for some reason loading those pages seems to take a long time, like I would expect opening a gif-packed page of the schadenfreude thread, for example.

Is this a quirk of the process being used to convert the forums page to the app’s format? Or is my internet just extra poop today? I feel like it affected both cellular and WiFi loading, since it did it again after I got home and hit next page.

Also my phone might just suck I guess, but thought I would ask here! The double tap feature was great for skipping the posts in question once the page loaded though :)

Edit: after this post the meme thread went hard on tall posts and apparently started crashing the Android app, sorry I brought this evil into the world.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 14, 2021

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I accidentally swipe back sometimes which loses my place in the thread but it’s easy enough to go back one page and set it manually again. I’ve never intentionally used it, always like this :shepicide:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Cat Hassler posted:

Oh sweet! Deleting the app and reinstalling fixed it!

Thank you :toot:

Same here! :lovebird:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Currently :staredog:

Used :mrgw: too for a while

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I will chime in with the super useful "it depends on the avatar," some things on the current size look strange as a thumbnail and I end up pressing on them to look at them larger. Those avatars will probably parse better at the higher size, I am excited to try it!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Quantum of Phallus posted:

the extremely dark grey on black text is terrible

Yeah, now that it's not as bold as it used to be, it could maybe stand to be a lighter shade? It's harder to read the join dates and post date/time than it used to be

Screenshot:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

My XR didn't enjoy itself but did manage to load the whole page.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Does anyone know how to make this menu pop up? I’ve only done it accidentally and I have no idea how to actually do it.

That's YouTube's and I think it's via long pressing on an embedded video.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yes, Opener is not free but it's cheap and it's exactly what you want.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I've been in the test flight beta version now for about a week, and while it looks nice, it feels pretty dodgy

I feel like any embedded tweets or videos really bog down my phone (XR). The schadenfreude thread is hitching a lot as I scroll down the page. Like when I come upon a post with a tweet in it or some other embed, the whole app hiccups and stops scrolling for a bit. It just feels like all sorts of embeds really bog this version down?

Also I will click a link in the thread and when I'm done, my page position will have reset to the top again. Almost like I went out of the app and came back, but this is the first time seeing it happen just from viewing something in the Awful browser.

The old version definitely got slow on pages with a lot of embeds, but this build seems to struggle even if there's only a few embeds on the page.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Yeah pretty sure it just updated today. Version 60209

https://youtube.com/shorts/CZOHYqPg0DU

Here's a recording I took just trying to scroll down page 147 of the schadenfreude thread just now. I'm about to reboot my phone just to see if it helps any, never seen it struggle like this.

Edit: okay post reboot it's working fine so far with embeds. Guess my phone just had some memory leakage or something, dang.

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 19, 2022

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

YouTube Shorts aren't embedding, according to Astral it's an app problem and the forums handles them fine? Posts from the tech support thread:

Tenkaris posted:

On the subject of YouTube link parsing:

I just posted this video yesterday in the awful app thread and noticed that YouTube's vertical "Shorts" videos do not embed, so i just slapped URL tags on it. I didn't deliberately upload my video as a short, I assume it's just automatic since it was a recording from a phone in portrait mode and I guess that's just what they call videos in that orientation.

Just thought I'd bring it to your attention here while on the topic, YouTube Shorts only launched in August 2021 so it's a relatively new thing for the service, and the added /shorts/ in the URL is triggering the blacklist. Hopefully an easy addition! 🤞🏻

astral posted:

Complain to the app thread; this is supported on the actual forums.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

datajosh posted:

There's a setting for it now, I think it was added in 16.1. If you go to Settings > [app] > Allow Paste From Other Apps you can set it to Allow instead of Ask.

Edit: okay I found this post but don't see that under Awful app's options so I'm looking for it elsewhere now :confused:

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

What's funny is when I got the prompt for using this url, I then went back and it was there:

:iiam:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Double tap to skip post doesn't seem to work if the post is just a big block of spammed quotes

Check page 3930 of the pyf memes thread to test: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3813092&perpage=40&noseen=1&pagenumber=3930#post529016901

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Is there a way we can keep our bookmark from updating if we click on a post from the leper's colony? I think the forums themselves don't do this on browser, but the app definitely still does it

Edit: well maybe it got added to the beta version but I got tired of the performance issues in threads with heavy embedding and having to renew it every x days

When are things going to update on the live branch btw??

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

lol I might go back to the beta if they ever push out the performance improvements that are apparently ready

Updates are slow coming these days, I wish we could get some QoL stuff, the smilies could use a tag search

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Hmm, I can’t load SAD’s thread list, though I can load the sub forum for resolved stuff. Works OK on the web site AFAICT.

I don’t get prompted to load a SAD thread when I have its URL in the clipboard.

Admin conspiracy?!?

Very odd, mine is loading fine?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Grassy Knowles posted:

There are more threads than that, you're not getting an updated thread list. I'm not either.

:monocle: interesting! TIL Thread lists stay cached

I went on browser and bookmarked them and can access them that way in the app but yeah, list can't update

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 17, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

testtubebaby posted:

loving this.

Why the gently caress is this broken?

Settle down, Beavis

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Well okay then the answers to your questions are in the thread, go find them yourself lol

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Warbird posted:

It looks like we lost “swipe to remove” bookmarks over the new update. Was that intended? I’m not particularly tore up about it as I would occasionally remove one without meaning.

I noticed its absence too but like you, I tend to do it accidentally sometimes, and the long press option is perfectly fine with me instead, I don't need both :D

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

GutBomb posted:

I love the app, I’ve been using it for many years, and very much appreciate the modernization updates. One thing that always gets me when I come into this app is the “swipe from the left edge to go back” thing in this app is very unforgiving when compared with pretty much anything else out there. The point where you have to swipe from is almost pixel perfect, as opposed to other apps where sometimes it can be done from anywhere on the screen.

I know it’s such a little thing, but the inconsistency with most other apps definitely stands out.

I used to do that on accident constantly and now barely ever do it, I wonder if it was downsized?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Quackles posted:

Could you make there a chance for the frog instead to be the full width, and just peek up from the bottom instead of completely visible?

Seconding Kilroy frog

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

FlapYoJacks posted:

If I could ask for a single feature it would be smiley filtering.

I've pretty much not bothered with the app's smilies for a year+ at this point, it needs a lot of work. I just know all the smilies I like by heart I guess. :kheldragar:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

b_d posted:

i saw the rap sheet tab and got confused and thought it might go to my rap sheet. when i clicked on it and saw other people's probes i was able to comprehend what had happened. perhaps others had a similar experience. cheers

I have not had this experience with the Leper's Colony tab, since that's not exactly the same thing as a Rap Sheet.

BUT, I do hate when I check out a punishment and it's from a bookmarked thread and it updates my bookmark.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

b_d posted:

well it says rap sheet instead of lepers colony now. maybe because i'm on the test flight

Oh poo poo. I'm not on the test flight yet, and I'm using OLED dark and I've noticed a lot of UI text and the page numbers/arrows are now sometimes black on black, that's probably what's happening

I'm gonna hop on the test to see if it's still happening

Edit: on test now, still no text on them

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Oh right, I'm using SpankyKong OLED Dark now. My bad!

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Animated avatars move at a normal speed in thread view and user profiles, but if you long press on the avatar and open it that way, it moves much faster.

Newest TestFlight build (60300) on a 14 pro max

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

When I click on the Messages tab the app immediately crashes. Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue.

Fine here. Are you on the app store version or the TestFlight build? What hardware are you on?

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

An image loading question I have is this: when I load a post full of images, then decide I want to save one, I long press on it which opens it in a viewer, but it has to load it again here? Just wondering why that is

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

spanky the dolphin posted:

Hey here are some new App icons to add into the next beta.

Also, humbly requesting toot animation be added to beta please.

Lmao :wtc:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Urcher posted:

It's definitely the Awful app.

My battery life went terrible about a week ago, which would be roughly when my phone updated to the latest version of Awful.

:dogstare:

Nothing here on the 14 pro max, here's the last 10 days

Yes maybe I do browse too much, mind your business :colbert:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

lol jfc you guys really liked that feature I never used, I always just used the drat shortcut anyway

Oh hey new posts, wonder what's going on with the app? Oh, more of the :qq: crew.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

It was very easy to take a screen shot of something on your phone, quick crop it , and up load it

This was good for like news headlines, text quotes , etc

It's still pretty easy, y'all are just real angsty about having to do it slightly differently. Like you can literally have the shortcut in your share sheet, then bam it's been uploaded and it's in your clipboard?!

Like, please get over it and just use the shortcut, this is stupid to repeat this exchange every week

Or make your own app and show us how superior it can be done but just please move on with your lives lol

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 4, 2023

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

It was very easy to take a screen shot of something on your phone, quick crop it , and up load it

This was good for like news headlines, text quotes , etc

Still is

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

euphronius posted:

Success !!! :)

I knew you had it in you! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr_0UYXVlxE

Tenkaris fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

tell-tale high blood pressure posting.

I get 120/80 every time I donate blood my guy :grin: