Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Started doing videos to go with Shadespire.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90l2-0E9Sys - Assembling the Stormcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHcAkWzh30g - Quick Unboxing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mU5RCrHlOw - Quick Review of the Card Sleeves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

If nothing else, Shadespire got me to actually fully paint everything for a game.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Played my first game yesterday. Once you get the hang of the game it's really fun. Decided to paint up Blooded Saek up first since he took out Obryn during the game. He's also the coolest model.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Finished up Blooded Saek from Shadespire.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Are you all liquid green stuffing the seems or are the seems not too noticeable once they're painted?

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Are you all liquid green stuffing the seems or are the seems not too noticeable once they're painted?

I will go over the seams tonight. I assembled the stormcast and it is just the shoulder pads that need checking. The Khorne guys with the flesh will need a firmer check.

Of course you could just have them as more scars.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Saek is the only one whose seam really bugs me as it goes right down the middle of his chest and abs.

For the rest, I use tamiya extra thin glue so I just brush a bit over the seam and that mostly eliminates it. I didn't bother puttying the shoulder pads on the stormcasts.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Played my first game yesterday. Once you get the hang of the game it's really fun. Decided to paint up Blooded Saek up first since he took out Obryn during the game. He's also the coolest model.

Looks great! I think I will try to color the base rims a bit too, maybe a desaturated red/blue. Makes the warbands super readable.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

If you run some plastic glue into the gaps just before you squeeze the parts together they will seal themselves.

I've had more seam issues with the stormcast since their seams run straight through the middle of the shoulder pads for some reason. Khorne guys I slapped together, half the seams don't even need sanding as they're very cleverly hidden in the musculature.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Okay, thanks. I snapped mine together without any glue just so I could play a few games before I'm ready to paint them.

Though I'm tempted to leave the chest parts off of the Stormcast leader entirely since he has a wonderful FIFA graphic glitch look to him.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Z the IVth posted:

If you run some plastic glue into the gaps just before you squeeze the parts together they will seal themselves.

I've had more seam issues with the stormcast since their seams run straight through the middle of the shoulder pads for some reason. Khorne guys I slapped together, half the seams don't even need sanding as they're very cleverly hidden in the musculature.

Yeah, I wish they did what they did for Severin for all the models, where the back piece has the full shoulder pad minus the front rim, so so the seam is naturally hidden except for the tiny bit of rim.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Anyone planning on picking up any terrains for it to make the games a little more interesting? I picked up some regular DnD terrain off etsy, like crates and barrels, a scrying pool and some pillars. Figured I could add those to the impassable terrain sections on the board.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

bonds0097 posted:

For the rest, I use tamiya extra thin glue so I just brush a bit over the seam and that mostly eliminates it. I didn't bother puttying the shoulder pads on the stormcasts.
Are you doing this once the model is assembled, or during the build process? I assembled my Gorebloodmurderbros already, not realizing that gap was so large...

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

Zuul the Cat posted:

Anyone planning on picking up any terrains for it to make the games a little more interesting? I picked up some regular DnD terrain off etsy, like crates and barrels, a scrying pool and some pillars. Figured I could add those to the impassable terrain sections on the board.

That's not a bad idea, I think I saw someone using the battlefield in a box prepainted ruins.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

Zuul the Cat posted:

I have a feeling that GW is gonna start selling some small stuff for the game. It would make a lot of sense

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Having some hex shaped bases with simple ruins/rocks on them that match the game boards would be cool (and probably easy to DIY but I'm terrible at that.)

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

berzerkmonkey posted:

Are you doing this once the model is assembled, or during the build process? I assembled my Gorebloodmurderbros already, not realizing that gap was so large...

I brush glue on the seams when I put the pieces together, very small amounts, makes things melt together nicely. Do before you primer/paint or it'll melt that too.

Here's an example, you can barely see the seam:

Zuul the Cat posted:

I mostly play at my flgs but this seems like an awesome idea for home games.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Anyone have a trip report for the game? Looks interesting, but I've been wary of GW

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

w00tmonger posted:

Anyone have a trip report for the game? Looks interesting, but I've been wary of GW

Played it four times. It is good.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

w00tmonger posted:

Played it last night with another complete newbie. It was a blast, there is a surprising degree of tactical depth, beyond the usual CHAERG! syndrome Warhammer has s tendency to suffer. I was behind on glory (victory points) for the first 2 turns but in the last one managed to play a string of ploy cards to manipulate my opponent to his doom.

Looking forward to the deckbuilding. We ran with the premade decks and even with just one game I saw how things could be optimized to make your guys play one way or the other.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

w00tmonger posted:

My friends and I played about 5 games last Sunday. It's pretty fun, we may not have had our strategies down because the bloodreiver side won most of the time through excellent mobility and more easily getting flanking support. The starting decks seem to have some chaff to replace with other cards in the box.

It seems like one team can very easily snowball over the opponent if they get a quick glory point and then an upgrade while the other misses any glory points in the first phase. But the games are so quick that even if it feels one-sided it's tempting to play one more and try again.

Once the first two expansions come out and there are more deck building options I think it will really take off.

One caveat is I would definitely do some kind of painting on the models, even if just a spray of primer and single ink wash over the whole thing. It's kind of tough to make out the unpainted minis, at least in the first few games and for people trying the first time.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Black_Nexus posted:

I have a feeling that GW is gonna start selling some small stuff for the game. It would make a lot of sense

I would be surprised if they did, since this is supposed to be a "grab and go" type of game that allows for quick table changes, similar to Magic.

bonds0097 posted:

I brush glue on the seams when I put the pieces together, very small amounts, makes things melt together nicely. Do before you primer/paint or it'll melt that too.
OK, thanks. I'll have to get some putty then.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Here is my Blood Reavers assembly video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9I0iedhlfI

A tiny bit of liquid green stuff sorted out all the little gaps. Applied it with a knife to cover the gaps, used a dry tissue to wipe away the excess. Did the same with the Stormcast shoulder pads.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
According to the GW rep my LGS talked to, all the cards in the expansions are faction specific so there's no worry of having to buy the expansions to stay competitive.

Expansions will be $30, faction themes dice cubes will be $10 and there's no talk of it now but don't be surprised if they announce a plastic counter pack to upgrade the cardboard tokens the box comes with.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Oct 25, 2017

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

According to the GW rep my LGS talked to, all the cards in the expansions are faction specific so there's no worry of having to buy the expansions to stay competitive.

Expansions will be $30, faction themes dice cubes will be $10 and there's no talk of it now but don't be surprised if they announce a plastic counter pack to upgrade the cardboard tokens the box comes with.

There are two decks in each faction booster. One is faction specific and one is generic and can be used with any faction. You don't need them, but they open up different strategies to win.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I pre-ordered all the dice from my FLGS but I hope they're beefier than the stock ones.

And sign me up for counters please.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
I am in love with this game and have been demoing it with mixed success. Everyone I can get to try it out has loved it, even people who don't like Age of Sigmar or more specifically the Stormcast. Brought it out to one of the local FLGS tonight to see if I could help them move some copies because the last store I demoed out sold out the next day. Unfortunately I had no takers and the general theme was the dudes I talked to hated GW for blowing up the old world. Hopefully the game takes off in my area because I really believe this is the best ruleset GW has ever released and I've played everything they have ever put out except inquisitor.

Another hang up I've heard from people is the lack of warband diversity and with the Ardboyz and Skelies coming out next week I''m hoping for that to help kickstart the local groups.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I haven't heard anything about the next releases, are they really next week?

Also has anyone tried the 3 and 4 player game? I'm really hoping that will be as good as two player but it doesn't seem like the game was built around it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
We ended up just switching back and forth between opponents. It's cool that multiplayer is there and the rules seem like they'll work well but everyone wants to try and wrap their heads around the game, its not as simple as it looks. Also, we didn't even play the hold the artifact variant. I played probably 10 games with the same guy and the only time I got irritated was when the dice seemed to turn against me and he was up by 5 and two of my Bloodboys were out at the end of turn 1.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

Booyah- posted:

I haven't heard anything about the next releases, are they really next week?

Also has anyone tried the 3 and 4 player game? I'm really hoping that will be as good as two player but it doesn't seem like the game was built around it.

Preorders for the next two warbands are Saturday.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Then at some point after we are getting Skaven and another Stormcast and Chaos gang and the Slayers I believe.

Really interested in the Skaven Warband. Wonder what it will be like.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then at some point after we are getting Skaven and another Stormcast and Chaos gang and the Slayers I believe.

Really interested in the Skaven Warband. Wonder what it will be like.

Kinda imagining like a mix between Skeles and Reavers: Plentiful, fast and made of glass, probably get bonuses for ganging up, really promote grabbing objectives with superior board control.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Yeah, I could totally see a skaven objective that rewards attacking the same guy with three of yours.

I've got to say, despite myself and their silly names, the new AoS Khorne minis are growing on me. They come across a lot better in person than they do in photos.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Oct 26, 2017

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Just grabbed the box from a shop nearby at 20% off with the intention of getting some different sculpts for my Blood dudes and Stormsies. £32 for the boxed game seemed low enough to give it a shot and if nothing else I've got some more stuff on my painting backlog.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm so tempted to slave over these minis because I love how well crafted they are, but I also really just want to get them painted up for games. I've never built a wfb/40k army but I think I'm understanding the predicament.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

I'm so tempted to slave over these minis because I love how well crafted they are, but I also really just want to get them painted up for games. I've never built a wfb/40k army but I think I'm understanding the predicament.

My suggestion is to basecoat and then put some varnish on them. So then you can play with them without fear of ruining the paint. And then when you have the time, wash, highlight, etc.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

bonds0097 posted:

My suggestion is to basecoat and then put some varnish on them. So then you can play with them without fear of ruining the paint. And then when you have the time, wash, highlight, etc.

Interesting, do you mean a spray/matte varnish? I've never tried painting over that before.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So turns out the name of the game is Warhammer: Underworlds. Shadespire is just the name of the box set? My local shop manager keeps correcting everyone.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Yeah, warhammer underworlds is the name of the brand/larger universe or whatever, while the first core set is set in shadespire.
https://warhammerunderworlds.com/

Supposedly there will be future core sets and the rules already allude to a players selecting a board from all the boards in their collection.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That should be fun. He said pretty much the same thing - all the North American managers just got back from their Dallas trip, and he let me know we played pretty much the entire game wrong last weekend. haha. Glad they had a training meeting with staff.

He did mention what you did, about the expansions. If people are going to play it, nows the time to do so because it introduces you to core concepts which will be expanded on as it goes forward.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

Pillbug

Booyah- posted:

Interesting, do you mean a spray/matte varnish? I've never tried painting over that before.

I airbrush some vallejo satin or gloss varnish on, this protects my work and also makes washes flow into recesses much better. after I wash, if I used a gloss varnish I spray some matte on afterwards. If I used satin, I can just continue painting over it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

That should be fun. He said pretty much the same thing - all the North American managers just got back from their Dallas trip, and he let me know we played pretty much the entire game wrong last weekend. haha. Glad they had a training meeting with staff.

He did mention what you did, about the expansions. If people are going to play it, nows the time to do so because it introduces you to core concepts which will be expanded on as it goes forward.

What mistakes did you guys make? Anything particularly easy to screw up? I've only played one game but I can already see that there's a huge amount of detail in a simple ruleset.