Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

History Comes Inside! posted:

Yeah the Saturn has a friendly little door with the battery behind it and you can just pop it in and out because it was somehow designed by someone who didn’t want people to suffer in the future

This technology is unfortunately lost to time

The pro play is to replace the SRAM chip in the Saturn with a FRAM chip so you never actually lose your save data which drains the battery far slower because now it's only used for the system clock. :v:

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Apr 24, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Null of Undefined posted:

Yeah idk maybe it's confirmation bias but it really feels like hardware mods are disappearing and all that effort is getting put into FPGAs. I mean, I like FPGAs, but the main thing I like about this hobby is tinkering and optimizing. But the last 2 systems I wanted to mod had really cool hardware mods that just aren't available anymore (wanted the rgb atari 2600 board too). I wish these people would at least open source their projects if they're just gonna abandon them.

Yea and specifically for the NES there isn't really a standout FPGA console that plays real carts. There is the NT Mini Noir, but that's like $1k on Ebay now. Even though they finally did a firmware update after 2.5 years it's certainly better, but it's still got some issues that seem unlikely to get fixed. The RetroUSB AVS only does 720p, no direct mode for scalers to take advantage of and similarly to the NT Mini Noir it has some game compatibility issues that seem unlikely to be fixed.

I'd like an HDMI mod for the NES to bypass all of the cart compatibility issues. I've got some homebrew carts that either wont work or have issues on the Noir.

Semi-related, I've been using my NT Mini Noir with my Pixel Morph scaler, I don't understand how they do it but the Morph can trick the NT Mini Noir into thinking it's connected to the Analogue DAC and pulls a direct signal that can scale it to 4K :eyepop: Can also force the direct mode with the Super NT and Mega SG I believe.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a community consensus on the go-to recommended DMG gameboy LCD upgrade? Have one that's been lingering with a busted LCD and ideally I'd like as turnkey solution as possible without hacking up the case or anything.

This isn't really a case of not being able to find an upgrade kit, I'm just not in the community enough to tell what a good kit is from a bad kit, etc. Thanks!

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I want to convert a game in BIN/CUE format to ISO format.

I saw a recommendation on Reddit for WinBin2Iso, however that program wants a single BIN file as input, while I have 2 - GAME(Track 1).bin and GAME(Track 2).bin.

Is that relevant to the conversion? I feel like it would be since both Track 1 and Track 2 have data, albeit Track 1 has more - 544MB vs 41MB for Track 2.

E: nevermind I found an ancient program last updated before 9/11 that can convert multi-bin disc images into a single bin, then I can use WinBin2ISO to make an ISO file.

Annath fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 24, 2024

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

katkillad2 posted:

The RetroUSB AVS only does 720p, no direct mode for scalers to take advantage of and similarly to the NT Mini Noir it has some game compatibility issues that seem unlikely to be fixed.

What’s the advantage of direct mode over just prescaling the 720p output?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Annath posted:

I saw a recommendation on Reddit for WinBin2Iso, however that program wants a single BIN file as input, while I have 2 - GAME(Track 1).bin and GAME(Track 2).bin.

Is that relevant to the conversion? I feel like it would be since both Track 1 and Track 2 have data, albeit Track 1 has more - 544MB vs 41MB for Track 2.

When a game has multiple BIN files they're usually soundtrack, so only getting one in the resulting ISO will mean you have a game that plays perfectly but is missing music.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

So do y'all think they're ever gonna re-stock the Hi-Def NES mod or nah?

I might be willing to sell a modded NES with it if you're interested. Front loader, prototype (updated to current FW) HDN installed by the man himself.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

Just look at a general teardown until you see the battery tbh. Though the Saturn apparently has a door on the back specifically for grabbing the clock battery out of its holder. The DC's is right there when you pop the cover off but it's also soldered to the controller port daughter board so is much more annoying. There's an iFixit guide for replacing it with a soldered in holder for a normal 2032 though.

You can also just get a ML2032 socket so it fits on the board and you can just plug-and-play new ones.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

XtraSmiley posted:

I might be willing to sell a modded NES with it if you're interested. Front loader, prototype (updated to current FW) HDN installed by the man himself.

No I wanna do it myself that's the fun part

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Annath posted:

E: nevermind I found an ancient program last updated before 9/11 that can convert multi-bin disc images into a single bin, then I can use WinBin2ISO to make an ISO file.

ISO doesn't support multitrack discs, you're probably breaking the game by trying to do this conversion.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

KingEup posted:

What’s the advantage of direct mode over just prescaling the 720p output?

Someone else could probably explain it better than me, but scaling output that is an unaltered signal seems to be better/preferable than scaling output that is already being scaled by something that might not necessarily be scaling it correctly to begin with. I was just pointing it out because you can get a direct mode signal from the MiSTer and other FPGA consoles which has become more relevant now that things like the Tink4K and Morph4K scalers exist.

In practice though, probably not going to be a noticeable difference to the average person for something like the NES.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

katkillad2 posted:

Someone else could probably explain it better than me, but scaling output that is an unaltered signal seems to be better/preferable than scaling output that is already being scaled by something that might not necessarily be scaling it correctly to begin with. I was just pointing it out because you can get a direct mode signal from the MiSTer and other FPGA consoles which has become more relevant now that things like the Tink4K and Morph4K scalers exist.

In practice though, probably not going to be a noticeable difference to the average person for something like the NES.
Basically yes, the less you process the image, the better, especially if you don't know what kind of processing is going on in one or more of the steps.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
You folks don’t understand how pre-scaling works.

All it does is skip/discard lines. No processing involved.

But yes, you need a line multiplied source to start with if you want to pre-scale properly.

I was under the impression that the RetroUSB AVS can output a clean integer 3x scale. This would make it the perfect candidate for pairing with the retrotink 4k.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Apr 24, 2024

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
while we're on conversion chat, anyone know what to do with HCD format files? it's like a cue, sorta, but using the cd TOC I think? anyway nothing I know actually seems to run these or convert away from the format. I've seen tools to change iso or bincue to HCD, but not the opposite. I guess people use them for injecting virtual console games?

ideally I'd like to either play them in bizhawk or convert to a format that will.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

makere posted:

ISO doesn't support multitrack discs, you're probably breaking the game by trying to do this conversion.

I haven't actually tested the resulting ISO yet.

But if it doesn't work, would combining the two BIN files into one still work, as long as I just use the resulting single BIN and don't convert it to ISO?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

makere posted:

You’re not, OPL Manager does this for CD based PS2 games and so does POPpy, the utility to convert PS1 games into PS3 pkg files. It’s perfectly fine to convert them just because some systems can’t handle bin/cue files properly.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Annath posted:

I haven't actually tested the resulting ISO yet.

But if it doesn't work, would combining the two BIN files into one still work, as long as I just use the resulting single BIN and don't convert it to ISO?

What are you playing them on and why don’t you just used chdman to package it all into a chd instead if that’s an option

Love that chdman

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

History Comes Inside! posted:

What are you playing them on and why don’t you just used chdman to package it all into a chd instead if that’s an option

Love that chdman

Duckstation and I have no idea what a CHD is.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Annath posted:

It's just a compressed CD format that combines the .bin and .cue files into a single file.

https://archive.org/details/chd-converter.-7z

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah duckstation should be fine with chd files

https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/utilities/rom-conversion/chdman

Just extract whatever flavour of that is relevant for your OS into whatever folder all your cue and bin files are and run the cue to chd batch file, it’ll chug through them all and spit out a chd for every individual game.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Just CHD it my man

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Annath posted:

To answer this specific question: it depends.

What is the platform of the media? Are the .bin tracks 2048-byte MODE 1 sectors are are they 2352-byte RAW ones? Is it CD-ROM XA? If yes, does it actually contain MODE 2 Form 2 sectors?

Like if you have a bog-standard PC-CDROM with separate .bin tracks, the first of which is 2048-byte MODE 1 and the rest red-book audio, then the first track .bin file is your .iso. Or if you have a 2352-byte MODE 1 track then you can use a simple utility to discard the ECC data and get a .iso.

But like, if you have a PlayStation disc, you can't make an .iso from it, since they're in CD-ROM XA format and frequently make use of non-ECC 2352-byte sectors to store FMV. This is why folks have to use specialized tools (or at least, CD-ROM drive emulators) to manipulate PlayStation discs.

Annath posted:

All that said, generally you can take a multitrack .bin/.cue and concatenate all the .bin files together, but it requires modifying the .cue sheet to set the proper track offsets. Fortunately chdman will does this for you automatically in an almost lossless way.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Do I need to replace the battery in my ps2?!

It's a fat model from ca. 2002 if it makes any difference.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.

bone emulator posted:

If you want but it's not like, going to explode or anything like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

bone emulator posted:

Not really, I’ve just found some games freak out if the save data time is in the past so it’s peace of mind for me. I’ve never seen a CR2032 leak or explode so unless you care about your system time it’s not something you need to do. Especially since to get to it you need to completely tear the system down to the bare motherboard.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
How are Pirates: Legend of the Black Kat and Pirates: Legend of the Black Buccaneer not related? So weird. Anyways playing Black Kat and it is very breezy.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Crackbone posted:

Just CHD it my man

Yup. You must use BIN/CUE for ODEs on real hardware, but CHD is the go-to for everything else. Saves a little storage space and is widely supported these days.

Compressed Hunks of Data. It was invented by MAME devs to work with games and software not stored on ROM chips (optical, HDDs, flash, etc).

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty
Is CHDMan pronounced "chadman" or "chudman"?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
It's like how you say challah

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

It's like how you say challah

'aint no challa back girl.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Annath posted:

Given the H is Hunks, I'd go with the latter

This means a group of CHD files are chuds

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Apr 25, 2024

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Annath posted:

you have to say "I'm a chaaad maaaaan" every time

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

No I wanna do it myself that's the fun part

Well, you know what could be twice as fun? You can uninstall it, and then re-install it in your NES! Awesome fun!

:P

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

XtraSmiley posted:

I might be interested, depending on price...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I posted this in the mister thread the other day, do this for your chd stuff it makes it really easy

Tatsuta Age posted:

I wrote a basic wrapper for chdman after I got sick of moving the binary around when I downloaded a new pack of stuff for disc games that use .bin/.cue. Maybe it's useful for somebody else here so I put up a gist of it.

https://gist.github.com/jski/ffc18c525f237302c800a9c0aee8ab31

.chd output seems to work on the mister cores I've tried it on, so it's nice to have everything in one file instead of worrying about folders and stuff.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

Annath posted:

Seeh'Duh-máhn

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Going through Brute Force. Why sabotage a perfectly acceptable third person shooter by calling it a Halo Killer when its exclusive to the same platform and isn't even an FPS?!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i loved brute force back in the day

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

CV 64 Fan posted:

Going through Brute Force. Why sabotage a perfectly acceptable third person shooter by calling it a Halo Killer when its exclusive to the same platform and isn't even an FPS?!

"Halo killer" was being looked at as the one weird trick to good marketing for a time by hack PR people (so all PR people) and it took a really long time for them to realise that it was marketing poison. Killzone was the first time I noticed it being rolled out, but it was still being used in 2008 for loving Haze of all games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Haze and Lair were brutal. RIP Free Radical and Factor 5.