Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Been seeing this image frequently, I didn't want to post it until I was sure it wasn't from something else being re purposed. But its been long enough without any debunking.

Supposedly, these are images of people fleeing Kirkuk towards Erbil (the Iraqi Kurdistan capital).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

T.S. Smelliot posted:

I find it sad the average person is so ignorant to the plight of the kurds because they're one of the most sympathetic and relatable factions to most first worlders

I am sympathetic to any ethnic group that wants its own nation. I'm pro-ethnostate

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

solar energy panel posted:

Those losers better feel bad look at ll the trouble they caused! Why does everyone poo poo on the Kurds so much? They seem like cool people.

Because they refuse to assimilate and be destroyed. The same reason they hate every other ethnic minority

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Because they refuse to assimilate and be destroyed. The same reason they hate every other ethnic minority

missin that toon titty av

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

May as well be some rando to me, but this seems interesting and makes a bit of sense as to the collapse and general chaos the Kurds have seemingly been in since this started.

https://twitter.com/tobiaschneider/status/919867684535316481

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
It's possible they agreed to give up the extremely valuable oil-rich parts on the border in exchange for being left alone in the parts that are undeniably Kurdish

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
the Kurds are ok compared to the rest of the region but they are way too communist for me to support

good luck commie dudes

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634
I dunno maybe you should support the people with the good ideas fighting the good fight? Its not hard

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Israel has a right to defend itself

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Rudaw is down now, I wonder if they are getting slammed super hard or something more sinister

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

VikingSkull posted:

the Kurds are ok compared to the rest of the region but they are way too communist for me to support

good luck commie dudes

any statehood in the middle east is better than no statehood in the middle east imo

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

buckets of buckets posted:

I dunno maybe you should support the people with the good ideas fighting the good fight? Its not hard

nah

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

buckets of buckets posted:

i'll print off the ribbon bumper stickers, you make hte website

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I guess this is kinda winding down for now. Kurds tucked tail and ran and the Iraqis, Iranians, and Turks are blowing raspberries at em. The Kurds on social media seem incredibly angry, which, if it reflects on the ground mood, is really bad for the Kurd regions. But I guess full on civil war is off as of right now.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
It is shameful that the United States and the rest of the western world does not support an independent Kurdistan. The Kurdish people have been nothing but faithful allies, fighting some of our dirtiest wars and bearing the brunt of ISIS, Iranian and Turkish oppression, and saddam Hussein's chemical weapons attacks. Our support for the Peshmerga has been half-hearted even when they were fighting to save Yazidi civilians from being exterminated by ISIS.

solar energy panel posted:

Kurdish women are awesome

The reasons you see pictures like this is because of desperation. These women are fighting so that they don’t end up as slave wives for ISIS fighters and so their brothers aren’t executed for being the wrong kind of Muslim.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

The Management posted:

The reasons you see pictures like this is because of desperation. These women are fighting so that they don’t end up as slave wives for ISIS fighters and so their brothers aren’t executed for being the wrong kind of Muslim.

same but israeli army ladies

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I care about the Kurds because I am in love with Sniper Wolf

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
if your military doesnt have a photogenic womens brigade to be exploited for propaganda value then maybe you don't deserve self-governance

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Feeling bad for the Kurds :/ They seem like a remarkably unretarded and respectable people.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

The Management posted:

It is shameful that the United States and the rest of the western world does not support an independent Kurdistan. The Kurdish people have been nothing but faithful allies, fighting some of our dirtiest wars and bearing the brunt of ISIS, Iranian and Turkish oppression, and saddam Hussein's chemical weapons attacks. Our support for the Peshmerga has been half-hearted even when they were fighting to save Yazidi civilians from being exterminated by ISIS.

Is this supposed to be ironic? I can't really tell; the tone is odd, but the facts aren't quite wrong enough to make me think you're doing it on purpose.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

those kurdish chicks are hot but ultimately i know better than to be interested in women that can shoot my nuts off

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Every woman with a hand or a hands-free gun can shoot your nuts off. A trained warfighter can just do it from increasingly farther and farther ranges.

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Mozi posted:

Is this supposed to be ironic? I can't really tell; the tone is odd, but the facts aren't quite wrong enough to make me think you're doing it on purpose.

what about this seems even remotely ironic? I for one am pretty pro-kurdish independence, they're a pretty legit people who deserve their own state. I'll reserve judgment until I see what happens once they get it.

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

VikingSkull posted:

good luck commie dudes

Ahem they're democratic confederalists.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
lol Kurds save Iraq from a roaming pack of beheading isis terrorists taking over your country. then kick them in the balls for saving them. smh

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
oh look , more racist stereotyping that the Iraqis can't fight . The Iraqis fought incredibly driving daesh out . And communism rules you chuds

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Free Kurdistan.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
No that isis is more manageable Iraqi government can get back to the important business of making sure the true muslims rule unopposed.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Aren't we arming the Kurds right now to help us fight ISIS?

So the Kurds and Iraq are both armed by the USA and have our backing? lol

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Management posted:

I support a free Kurdistan, and I also hear serious policymakers (including an Iraqi Kurdish politician who was my college classmate) coherently articulate why right now is not the time for an independent Iraqi Kurdistan. Part of the reasoning is economic and viability in nature, but it also includes things like the lack of a plan for the treatment of Arabs living in Kurdish territories. The most recent independence referendum did not allow ethnic Arabs in Iraqi Kurdistan to vote, even if their family have lived in the region for generations.

Justice-wise, my friend Mr. Kokoy and most Americans I know (who've heard of Kurdistan) support a Kurdish state. But there's devils in the details that do need hammering out to ensure a good and viable free Kurdistan.

COMRADES posted:

The American economy is in the gun business. Domestically, we sell the same guns to mass murderers and law enforcement alike. Internationally, we'll sell to anyone cheap enough to still be using 5.56 NATO rounds for their main fighting rifle.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

COMRADES posted:

we're giving the Kurds guns to shoot ISIS with and Turkey and Iraq bomber planes to incinerate Kurds with

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Caufman posted:

The American economy is in the gun business. Domestically, we sell the same guns to mass murderers and law enforcement alike. Internationally, we'll sell to anyone cheap enough to still be using 5.56 NATO rounds for their main fighting rifle.

This s a common misconception I hear a lot

"Defense industry" is a lot, lot bigger than guns. The gun industry is tiny and honestly makes very little money compared to the actual defense industry. They're always in financial trouble. It's just that the average person has no idea how defense spending works and can only think of guns

The Iraqi army doesn't even use 5.56 as "their main fighting rifle."

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

COMRADES posted:

honestly try to find a military in the world that doesn't have at least some traces of weapons that a US dealer sold

Caufman
May 7, 2007

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

This s a common misconception I hear a lot

"Defense industry" is a lot, lot bigger than guns. The gun industry is tiny and honestly makes very little money compared to the actual defense industry. They're always in financial trouble. It's just that the average person has no idea how defense spending works and can only think of guns

The Iraqi army doesn't even use 5.56 as "their main fighting rifle."

I apologetically retract my ill-informed joke.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blast of Confetti posted:

honestly try to find a military in the world that doesn't have at least some traces of weapons that a US dealer sold

that's not fair there's a real and crucial distinction between the legitimate freedom-loving Libyan jihadists the US sold weapons to and the incredibly illegitimate Libyan ISIS fighters who are now performing unauthorized killings with those weapons

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Caufman posted:

I apologetically retract my ill-informed joke.

That was a joke?

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Everything I post is a joke.

Except in Games.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Caufman posted:

Everything I post is a joke.

Except in Games.

Oh, I see. I meant an intentional joke

Caufman
May 7, 2007
If not a full on joke, it was irreverently tongue-in-cheek and off the cuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Iraqis use the wrong kind of millimeters

• Locked thread