Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage posted:

that sucks. not that you should remotely have to do it but have you tried one of the third party apps that purports to do it? again, it's stupid that you'd have to but it might be nice if one of them worked

i haven't with this, no. last i looked all the apps were based on the old sync framework and didn't work with anything newer than an ipod classic, or were just wrappers for itunes, which seems like it would probably have the same issue

at some point i'll get frustrated enough to test some out, or just factory reset the phone and see what happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
it could be that some bug made the imported music folder offload files to icloud drive? or does it already do that, i gave up on syncing a while ago

i just use vlc since it's easier to manage, you just pop all the files you want in your library into the vlc folder lol. when minimized you get ios' controls of course, so for music it's really not too bad. it even works with carplay

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i don't have icloud drive enabled, but who knows, it could do

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I use iCloud Drive

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

infernal machines posted:

i don't have icloud drive enabled, but who knows, it could do

ehh if you don't it's unlikely. i haven't ever run any of my devices with it disabled, do you still even get the option to "offload unused files"? if so, i guess it could be a bug similar to that. if not, it's pretty much impossible lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

these days, sync will randomly take between one and three attempts to actually sync something after dragging the album over the phone icon, sometimes it will just do nothing at all until the phone is disconnected and reconnected one or more times. each time, the backup will run first, and then it might sync, or it might just stop.

it will repeatedly sync some of the same files every time it's connected, these files being from albums synced years ago.

it will randomly gain or lose artwork for albums.

if an album was synced more than a few months ago, it's a coin flip whether it will play at all on the phone, it's there in the music app, everything appears normal, but selecting a song simply has no result, nothing plays.

sometimes, instead of just not playing, the entire album will suddenly disappear from the album list.

this is just off the top of my head, using itunes for windows and an iphone 12 mini that is kept up to date.

this poo poo used to work. it used to work on this phone even. in the last three years it has gotten a lot worse.

itunes "sync" has always been a disaster that never worked. none of this is new. the windows style of treating the phone/player as a generic mass storage device that lets you or an app copy on/off at will was so much better.

whats even more amazing is a bunch of really hosed up morons used to defend itunes. can you even imagine?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

syncing your phone like an iPod has extremely obviously been on the outs for about a decade now, certainly since Apple Music has been available

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
the doj should add it to their antitrust suit honestly, it's hosed up that syncing music has become a weird crapshoot that requires discontinued software simply because apple has their own music streaming service. it's not like they made it increasingly more difficult for you to sync music from elsewhere while the itunes store existed

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

just use Plexamp or something

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Beeftweeter posted:

when minimized you get ios' controls of course, so for music it's really not too bad. it even works with carplay
works the same with telegram playlists so I've been using private channels as music storage, syncs between devices and they can keep a cache

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
rss with bypass paywalls clean and ublock origin is free and better than news+

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

ehh if you don't it's unlikely. i haven't ever run any of my devices with it disabled, do you still even get the option to "offload unused files"? if so, i guess it could be a bug similar to that. if not, it's pretty much impossible lol

i haven't seen such a prompt, i could dig through settings to see if it exists, but it's fair to assume that ain't it.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Mad Wack posted:

rss with bypass paywalls clean and ublock origin is free and better than news+

how do you get ublock on ios?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

i haven't seen such a prompt, i could dig through settings to see if it exists, but it's fair to assume that ain't it.

it's in general -> storage. if you don't see it, yeah agreed it ain't indeed

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
also lol today is the first time i've seen this

i was generating stable diffusion pics for the ai thread with "draw things", the output saves to photos. this is a two week old ipad air 5 and it was not particularly hot at the time

e: and no i didn't buy a new ipad this close to a new release, i swapped my old one out because applecare+ coverage was about to expire

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 13, 2024

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Beeftweeter posted:

it's in general -> storage. if you don't see it, yeah agreed it ain't indeed

yeah, i don't have that, or rather it was visible for a second on opening the page and then disappeared as the screen refreshed with the storage data

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

my itunes library is literally older than itunes (earliest date added are 1999) and i still sync with that old fucker

with a cable. it works every time, except when i have to janitor a bunch of poo poo, but then it works again. and i pay zero dollars because i would rather use them on other things.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Carthag Tuek posted:

my itunes library is literally older than itunes (earliest date added are 1999) and i still sync with that old fucker

with a cable. it works every time, except when i have to janitor a bunch of poo poo, but then it works again. and i pay zero dollars because i would rather use them on other things.

How long did it take you to setup Foobar 2K? :v:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

FlapYoJacks posted:

How long did it take you to setup Foobar 2K? :v:

ive heard about that but ive never tried it. the name turned me off immediately, even 20 years ago i was like "ugh, foo and bar, gently caress these nerds"

when i said itunes, i meant itunes

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
hell I'm still running iTunes on Catalina because music.app was just too stupid

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Chris Knight posted:

hell I'm still running iTunes on Catalina because music.app was just too stupid

:hfive:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I solved the problem of iTunes getting stupid in the most expensive way by buying a lifetime roon pass

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I had a Zune HD and to this day it is the best MP3 player ever created.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

I solved the problem of iTunes getting stupid in the most expensive way by buying a lifetime roon pass

is roon the neil diamond one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
no thats pono

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I thought that was a studio ghibli movie

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
if you're an anime fan (WHICH I AM NOT) ponyo's really good.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

ponyo was my niece’s favorite movie [until she became a sullen teen, now she just watches tiktoks]

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

qirex posted:

ponyo was my niece’s favorite movie [until she became a sullen teen, now she just watches tiktoks]

im sure she still loves ponyo as long as you dont bug her about it, but maybe her favorite movie is now ...five nights at freddies :ohdear:

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Beeftweeter posted:

how do you get ublock on ios?

on ios i use wipr and it works fine, for paywalls archive.today

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

is roon the neil diamond one

i'm pretty sure it's an olde time slur

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i'm pretty sure it's an olde time slur

genuine sorry

is roon the n* d* one?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

pono was also neil young not diamond, the model number of it was the NY01

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

apple music is a ripoff for sure but the classical app is here now and it’s decent so tim still gets my money

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

jesus WEP posted:

apple music is a ripoff for sure but the classical app is here now and it’s decent so tim still gets my money

whats wrong with good ol records

that is to say, i have a thing where i the worse the motor is the better it is for me, within limits. wobbling from 32 to 34 hell yeah its almost live

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Carthag Tuek posted:

ive heard about that but ive never tried it. the name turned me off immediately, even 20 years ago i was like "ugh, foo and bar, gently caress these nerds"

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i have a box set of rubinstein playing chopin and it was expensive as heck, more than a year’s worth of apple music anyway

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Juul-Whip posted:

just use Plexamp or something

this is honestly the easiest and best way to access your own music these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002