Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:siren: Alpha 7 Sign Up Is Live, Starts 3pm UTC October 18, 2017 :siren:

Server is up! We are the Commune of Lowtax alliance.

Bug me for an invite until I sort out people with roles to do poo poo.

GOON DISCORD - https://discord.gg/p9GmdYr, you can also find us on http://www.discordgoons.com.

Note: You need to follow GDN bots instructions to get access to the discord

Starborne

What is Starborne?

Starborne is a Free To Play grand-strategy 4X game that is expanded into being a MMO played in real-time. It's a bit of a mouthful but basically think MMO Civilization/Paradox Strategy Game. Your goal is to build your space empire, along with other players, to control the galaxy. There is the added wrinkle that you are expected to also coordinate with other players in Player Alliance, meaning there's an element of EVE Online's player diplomacy thrown in. This makes sense since the game is developed by Solid Clouds, a studio comprising of ex-EVE Online developers. In their own words "Solid Clouds felt there was a gap in the multiplayer strategy genre as most games in it have neglected the expansion and empire building elements of true 4X games."

They've also listed a bunch of games they are taking inspiration from to build Starbornes core framework:

- Travian T3 for its amazing approach to multiplayer strategy and PvP elements.
- Civilization for its tech tree and city-building mechanisms.
- Hearthstone for its card crafting system, its sleek user interface and its admirable polish.
- A plethora of strategy board games are definitive influencers.

The open beta is due out come 2018.

For a more detailed FAQ check it out here: http://starborne.boards.net/thread/884/faq

Also here's a 1 hour long tutorial by the devs for the October 2017 alpha test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd70u6Smv3A

Is it any fun?

Good question. The 7th alpha test for the game comes out on October 18, 2017 and will run for 12 weeks (campaigns are expected to take 6 months then reset). So, this is a good time to check out the game and see if it has enough to survive the fickle interests of Goons.

Starborne's actions will be in real-time. So this means if you're mining asteroids, spying on neighbors, attacking etc. you have to plan ahead. A player's "turn" is limited in the number of actions they can perform in a period of time, letting them log off and return later without having to baby their units.

They've designed a card system as well that is a collectible card system, but not a trading card game. The cards are used to customize units and buildings, as well as the empire. This, according to the devs, will let you customize and make yourself unique from other players. You get card caches via in-game activity for that specific server and are only available for that campaign. However you can also purchase caches that you can then take into your game as well. Conceivably, this is how Solid Clouds plan to make their money as the game is Free To Play.

Player Roles

Towards the end game, players no longer can afford to be jack of all trades, and for optimal success they are forced into dedicating their fleets to a specific purpose within their alliance. For example, Scouts are spymasters and saboteurs who, well, do spy related stuff for their group. Then there are Industrial players, Offensive players (attacking fleet), Defensive players, and Bomber players who are able to one-shot enemy stations as part of a siege.

In addition, there are different building types (Stations & Outposts) that can be built to serve different roles for the player.

Each station has a building tree with three paths, Military, Domain and Industry however you can't build all the buildings in every station so you need to decide which path a station will take. Buildings decide your station's function within your empire and dictate its capabilities.

Outposts are unlocked by certain buildings and are built in the claimed territory of that station. They help influence the power-level of a station. The placement of Outposts is hugely important.

Goon Alliance - Sector - Recruiters - Size/20

Commune of Lowtax - Libra Sector - Forge, Uziduke & Tallardar - 20/20 (Full)
Unity of Lowtax - Gemini/Ursa Sector - Minchar - 2/20

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Well I'm interested. Maybe it won't suck?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The quest to find that out starts in a day so we shall see!

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Oct 17, 2017

forge
Feb 26, 2006
I have no idea what this is but I signed up.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They had a day long only test server on Tuesday where I dicked around that I can upload some videos of but I think the hour long tutorial is a better tool to show the game off.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Unfunny Poster posted:

Starborne is a Free To Play grand-strategy 4X game that is expanded into being a MMO played in real-time.

Good lord.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Most shocking aspect of the whole OP: it wasn't made by Alexander DeLarge.

0xAYN
Nov 22, 2010

idk lol
This sounds like something I'm down to try out. I assume we'll get emailed with the alpha sign up details tomorrow?

edit: nevermind this is from the FAQ

quote:

I want to play Starborne now! Can I?
Yes you can! We are conducting rounds of alpha tests regularly that last 8-12 weeks each.
On starborne.com you can register your email to get a notification when the next test round begins.
If there is a test in progress already:
Instead of the email signup link, there will be a client download link instead.
Once you've downloaded the client, simply enter your email, create your password and you can start playing!
You will get an email asking you to confirm your email address. It is not required to play Starborne, but if you confirm it you get in-game rewards and can access the store.

0xAYN fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 18, 2017

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011
I'm actually looking forward to trying this out. Will be downloading it tomorrow after it is up. Not sure how alliance stuff will work out but maybe a goon one would be a good plan if enough of us stick with it.

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011
Also OP there is an official discord for players to socialize, organize, strategize, argue, etc. Here is an invite for anyone wanting to check it out: https://discord.gg/tMd4Pmt

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastic Paws posted:

I'm actually looking forward to trying this out. Will be downloading it tomorrow after it is up. Not sure how alliance stuff will work out but maybe a goon one would be a good plan if enough of us stick with it.

I am by no means a great organizer/leader so someone can do all that if they want. From my view, if you basically bumrush a section of the map (you can pick where to spawn) with a bunch of goons youcan essentially take it over fairly OK.

It'd basically be a Soviet Union approach, just throw a mass of people at the enemy and crush them that way.

I can also set up a Goon Discord of needed later today in my timezone before thegame goes live.

As for the official discord most Goons tend to avoid them but I'll add it to the OP when I can get to a computer.

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

I am by no means a great organizer/leader so someone can do all that if they want. From my view, if you basically bumrush a section of the map (you can pick where to spawn) with a bunch of goons youcan essentially take it over fairly OK.

It'd basically be a Soviet Union approach, just throw a mass of people at the enemy and crush them that way.

I can also set up a Goon Discord of needed later today in my timezone before thegame goes live.

As for the official discord most Goons tend to avoid them but I'll add it to the OP when I can get to a computer.

I didn't realize most avoid the official ones, I am sorry. Seems we only have a few interested goons so far but we shall see how it goes tomorrow and onward.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No worries.

I made a Discord for us to use. https://discord.gg/v8wpZN

Its barebones at the moment since I'm on my phone but I'll add more bells and whistles later.

Mainly the Goon Discord bot thing.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 18, 2017

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011

Unfunny Poster posted:

No worries.

I made a Discord for us to use. https://discord.gg/v8wpZN

Its barebones at the moment since I'm on my phone but I'll add more bells and whistles later.

Mainly the Goon Discord bot thing.

Sounds great, thanks!

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Game definitely looks worth a try, I'll be downloading it today. I joined the discord so we can coordinate a bit. Would probably be a good idea to try and start somewhat clustered, though I'm assuming you can build a new station elsewhere after starting if you go fuckgoons want to move

Also the official discord is the usual pubbie nightmare but the devs are pretty active there answering questions at least which is useful.

Edit: there is a trailer for this alpha as well
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqU1EGjuCrQ

minchar fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Oct 18, 2017

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
correct me if im wrong, but are they doing a hearthstone pack model for fleet upgrades? so if you havent bought the recent pack cycle then youre behind, in power of those that do when the campaigns refresh. kind of like how youre SOL if you dont buy the new hearthstone set for deckbuilding.

power creep card mechanics in an mmo dont seem like a great idea (for consumers). i do like the idea of a 4x mmo so ill watch and see what happens

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blazing Zero posted:

correct me if im wrong, but are they doing a hearthstone pack model for fleet upgrades? so if you havent bought the recent pack cycle then youre behind, in power of those that do when the campaigns refresh. kind of like how youre SOL if you dont buy the new hearthstone set for deckbuilding.

power creep card mechanics in an mmo dont seem like a great idea (for consumers). i do like the idea of a 4x mmo so ill watch and see what happens

That's not necessarily my inference of how they're taking some of Hearthstones mechanics.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Server is up! PICK LIBRA SECTOR TO START. We are the Commune of Lowtax alliance.

Bug me for an invite until I sort out people with roles to do poo poo.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I see someone finally took that time waster facebook style game concept and made a F2P MMO out of it.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

Most shocking aspect of the whole OP: it wasn't made by Alexander DeLarge.

Seems I fell behind in my endless Warframe grind.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 18, 2017

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this is actually kinda neat in a do some poo poo every once in awhile kind of way, im enjoying it.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Seems I fell behind in my endless Warframe grind.

Saw your application to the alliance. Accepted it, which then sends you an invite apparently rather than just letting you in. So you have an invite now.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

:thinking:

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Thank you for finding a better version of Ogame. Now lets hope it doesn't turn into a huge pay to win game.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uziduke posted:

Thank you for finding a better version of Ogame. Now lets hope it doesn't turn into a huge pay to win game.

I wanna stay optimistic about that.

cinn
May 13, 2011
I installed this thing and am clicking buttons in a blind haze of space ignorance.

ingame as cinn in Libra sector

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

cinn posted:

I installed this thing and am clicking buttons in a blind haze of space ignorance.

ingame as cinn in Libra sector

Alliance invite sent

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So we've discovered that alliances are capped at 20 players a piece, but you can make confederations/set each other blue. The confederation (group of alliances) stuff isn't fully implemented but you can set each other as "Blue" (friendly) on the in-game map so you can see who is what more easily.

Goodchild
Jan 3, 2010
Haven't played one of these in a long time. Signed on as Goodchild.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Goodchild posted:

Haven't played one of these in a long time. Signed on as Goodchild.

Invite sent.

random logic
Oct 19, 2009
Looks like it's worth a try.

Applied ingame as Phartiphukborlz

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

It's only proper to try every new mmo. Regardless of how good/bad it looks.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
A space game made by several former CCP guys... This could either be incredibly awesome or incredibly terrible. Will sign up tonight to find out.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm really enjoying it so far, just have it on another monitor minimised and check it once ina while.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Joined as "Omniblivion"

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Added folks up to here.

Eltaggerung
Oct 29, 2011
In as Eltagg. Just finished watching and following along with the tutorial, seems neat so far.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Eltaggerung posted:

In as Eltagg. Just finished watching and following along with the tutorial, seems neat so far.

Added.

Also please say something in the thread if you apply. We have a bunch of random names applied and I don't know which are/are not goons.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.
Seems I can't create an account at the moment. UI just flashes away then drops back to the creation screen.

*edit*
Apparently the server is full.

tehsid fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Confirming the single alpha server is currently full. However, at 1500GMT they are beginning an automatic purge system per the rules below

Snoogms posted:

• Players are designated as 'inactive' if they join the game and do absolutely nothing for 2 days.
  • If they have not confirmed their emails, they're removed after 1 day.
  • They'll be removed and a new player can take that starting position.
  • Inactive player from there on or inactive players that have done something and then quit, remain in the game and naturally become farms for their active neighbours.

This means at 1500GMT slots will open up on the server. Once those fill there will be no additional slots for this alpha test as they are only running one server for this alpha.

• Locked thread