Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
:frogsiren:Update:frogsiren:

Theme song - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN5zw04WxCc

The Goon Migration

This is the map, everything not blue is a non-goon. As you can see some of our brothers and sisters are spread around and with that comes complications. Due to fleet movements being real time we don't much ability to defend our fringe area members. So, we've decided to pick up our poo poo and move to a new area of space on the tail of the Gemini sector.

Specifically we are aiming at the coordinates in the -301,303 area as there are a lot of untapped resources there for both early and late game, and it doesn't seem to be an area that will be crowded. The goal of each game of Starborne is to win with the most strategic points but we've decided to say "nope" to that and use this period to learn the game, and how best to break it to conduct our Goonish ways.

So now you'll ask "Well how do I move everything?", it's actually pretty simple. Everyone gets a 7 day grace period where they are free from being PVPed by other players. During this time you need to do the following:

- Build up 3k of each resource (you'll need to upgrade your warehouse)
- Build up 80 Industrials
- Tech into, and upgrade, your Communication Array. This will let you generate Infrastructure Points faster, which in turn lets you build a new station.

Then when you're ready, which should be less time than it takes for your 7 day grace period, you can move on out to the new Goon Holy Land. Find a spot near fellow goons and get chugging at the resources.

The Holy Goon Empire

For whatever dumb reason, Solid Clouds made it so that you can't have more than 20 people in your alliance. So as time goes on, its conceivable we'll resort to creating a Confederation (collection of alliances) that both are and aren't a game mechanic at the moment. Currently we have only one alliance but we may need to do some organization to keep those geographically closest to each other in the same alliance for defensive purposes. This means Goons will likely be making its own confederation. So if anything happens and we ask you to move to a new alliance, that's why.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Looks like they've sped up removing inactives to every hour now, so that should help clear things out for anyone else that wants to join.

They currently have a bug that's preventing people from joining but they're working on it now.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

oh my god this would extremely be my poo poo if they had a Mac client. I spent farrrrr too much time with Astro Empires.

Weskejak
Dec 18, 2007
Vice Nemisis
applied in game as Weskejak, hopefully you're letting spies in.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Applied in-game as Buttlord, still trying to figure this poo poo out. I started in Libra before I saw that latest update, so I'll have to pick up and move to you guys eventually or hold the fort for Goons here.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Invited.

Also before moving check the announcements on the discord for coords that others are moving to so we don't have folks trying to move to the same spots and wasting a trip

Edit: rip we had 3 people try for the same spot

minchar fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 21, 2017

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Joined in game as BigCup no idea whats going on

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Should I take it as a good or bad sign that no one but the OP is talking about the game after they download?

This was so much easier when AD was making the threads.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, other than Minchar posting about the game in this thread as well, we're mostly talking on the Discord. Also, I don't know who AD is or really care if you think he should make the OP or not. :shrug:

Edit - If you want to, you know, find out if the game is good or not just ask and those playing will tell you their opinions.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Oct 21, 2017

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011

Dustoph posted:

Should I take it as a good or bad sign that no one but the OP is talking about the game after they download?

Who is AD and why does that matter? We talk mostly on our discord. This thread is mostly for spreading awareness of the game and coordinating invites to our alliance.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Dustoph posted:

It looks good so far, but its a slow burn for sure. Seems like it could be good!

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Second Goon alliance made: Unity of Lowtax, bug Minchar for invite when you install the game.

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

The biggest thing right now is the first 7 days are just build up days. Every player in the game gets a 7-day "ESA protection". You cannot attack other players or be attacked by other players while this is up. The timer for this is based on when you initially spawn in the game, so late joiners will have it for additional time over those that poopsocked from when they hit the on switch on the server. Once those shields drops and the pvp starts the game will definitely accelerate in activity, and hopefully fun too.

Edit: Also the devs have put together an extremely thorough, if not very well formatted, guide that can be found here http://starborne.boards.net/thread/872/game-guide

minchar fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 21, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Looks interesting, will keep an eye on it especially if going pure industrial or research to support the folks who like to fight while I just build proves viable.

cinn
May 13, 2011
Game is surprisingly fun and addictive.

need more goons in goonspace - come live your alternative space lifestyle on the fringes with like-minded space weirdos.

follow your dreams of space dominance.

enroll now.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Not sure if the first alliance is still full, but I applied anyways since it seems to have one spot and the second one only has one member?

TheLawinator
Apr 13, 2012

Competence on the battlefield is a myth. The side which screws up next to last wins, it's as simple as that.

Patcher broke so I can't log in rip game

forge
Feb 26, 2006
Same, haven't been able to get in for 2 days.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

forge posted:

Same, haven't been able to get in for 2 days.

Solution is to uninstall the game, go to their website, hit Play Now, select the small option underneath the download where it says "Having Problems? Click Here" and then download the manual installer. Worked like a charm for me.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Unfunny Poster posted:

Well, other than Minchar posting about the game in this thread as well, we're mostly talking on the Discord. Also, I don't know who AD is or really care if you think he should make the OP or not. :shrug:

Edit - If you want to, you know, find out if the game is good or not just ask and those playing will tell you their opinions.

Plastic Paws posted:

Who is AD and why does that matter? We talk mostly on our discord. This thread is mostly for spreading awareness of the game and coordinating invites to our alliance.

Wow, some of you all salty for some reason. Talking about AD was a joke because he has made ops for maybe 20 failed or never coming out MMOs. As in, if he had made the OP I would instantly know I don't need to touch this, or if I did it wouldn't be for 10 years.

Just about every thread in this sub forum is people talking about playing the game so I'll just wait until other people post their experiences. :shrug:

tehsid posted:

It looks good so far, but its a slow burn for sure. Seems like it could be good!

cinn posted:

Game is surprisingly fun and addictive.

need more goons in goonspace - come live your alternative space lifestyle on the fringes with like-minded space weirdos.

follow your dreams of space dominance.

enroll now.

Thanks!

minchar
Feb 10, 2013

Jcam posted:

Solution is to uninstall the game, go to their website, hit Play Now, select the small option underneath the download where it says "Having Problems? Click Here" and then download the manual installer. Worked like a charm for me.

Confirmed, this is the solution. When they update again though you'll either have to try the launcher again or redo this method every time.

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011

Dustoph posted:

Wow, some of you all salty for some reason. Talking about AD was a joke because he has made ops for maybe 20 failed or never coming out MMOs. As in, if he had made the OP I would instantly know I don't need to touch this, or if I did it wouldn't be for 10 years.

Just about every thread in this sub forum is people talking about playing the game so I'll just wait until other people post their experiences. :shrug:

Thanks!

Oh, I gotcha. Makes sense now, misread it. The game is good though. Probably too late to start now though. Know that it requires lots of checking in and doing a few things to maintain/expand your station(s).

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
drat, son, I just got in on this. It seems pretty cool so far. If you can't log in yet, you just have to wait it out while they clear idle accounts. I managed to nab the last Gemini spot for now.

EDIT: In as Ragtyme.

Moose_Knuck fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I spawned up in Virgo sector all on my lonesome. I beelined an early outpost further south in the mineral rich lands and hopefully I won't get wrecked too badly if I rush a missile station.

The game is a bit lacking in tool tips. In the building menu the mining station just specifies resource fields, but once built the mouse over says asteroids and nebula only :(

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I have a ~17 man alliance clustered in Andromeda, if any stray goons got marooned out there let me know (Kimsemus in game as well) and I'll bring you in. There is one other large "threat" alliance in the area we're prepping to deal with right now.

Actually if you wanted to add us to the OP:

Struggle Cuddle - Andromeda - 15/20 Recruiter: Kimsemus

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Oct 23, 2017

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dustoph posted:

I mean, you did come in and complain about a lack of people posting (even though they were) and made a reference to some dude that nobody else got other than you. Like I said, just ask what people's thoughts are and wait for their replies. Seemed to be a far more effective method to gauge this game's entertainment value.

Kimsemus posted:

I have a ~17 man alliance clustered in Andromeda, if any stray goons got marooned out there let me know (Kimsemus in game as well) and I'll bring you in. There is one other large "threat" alliance in the area we're prepping to deal with right now.

Actually if you wanted to add us to the OP:

Struggle Cuddle - Andromeda - 15/20 Recruiter: Kimsemus

That sure is some name you guys picked out.

quote:

Cuddle Struggle

Trying to cuddle with someone who doesn't want to cuddle with you. Also a gentle way to say rape.

:cripes:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 23, 2017

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Unfunny Poster posted:

That sure is some name you guys picked out.

:cripes:

yeah it didn't go over well on neoga---- OH WAIT :smugdon:

Also it's Struggle Cuddle, not Cuddle Struggle. We don't support that kind of black humor.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 23, 2017

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This game is surprisingly interesting once you get past the flailing-arms phase of the learning curve.

This game is good if:
-You play stuff in short bursts
-You like idle games
-You want some space game to stare at until Star Citizen comes out (ahahahahaha)

This game is bad if:
-You want fast paced growth/combat
-You hate waiting for timers on pretty much everything
-You don't like PVP or griefing

Paid Items:
The game has some paid features but you're dumb if you buy anything but the starter pack (or really anything at all since we're in ALPHA). While it sells space pixels for real money, it is absolutely not p2w. Ships can't be "instant" rushed like buildings can, and you share a global fleet pool that isn't directly affected by any paid items. Sure, if someone buys a boatload of packs they'd have some advantage... probably 10-20% advantage on a non-paid or starter-pack-only character. You can farm missions that spawn naturally in game to get the same items that come from the paid packs.

If you're new, follow the tutorial achievements. Speed is king. Focus early buildings and cards that give you fleet speed. The more space hexes you can move in an hour, the more minerals/missions/spacebux you can get.

Do not fall for the solar flare trap. Sure, getting a thousand(s) of one material from solar flares sound great, except they only spawn once every loving millennia and anyone can grab them. Do not waste time on solar flare buildings. Sure, if a high level solar flare occurs near you, you can send a fleet to try to contest it. But specializing fleets/buildings for solar flares is a gigantic waste. You're much better off just sending your ships to raid nearby NPC bases.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Omniblivion posted:

Do not fall for the solar flare trap. Sure, getting a thousand(s) of one material from solar flares sound great, except they only spawn once every loving millennia and anyone can grab them. Do not waste time on solar flare buildings. Sure, if a high level solar flare occurs near you, you can send a fleet to try to contest it. But specializing fleets/buildings for solar flares is a gigantic waste. You're much better off just sending your ships to raid nearby NPC bases.

I kind of disagree. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it on my second outpost already. I built it in the wildlands south of Virgo and it's admittedly pretty close to several suns. But the one 2 hexes away just spawned me a 2-5000 ore flare that's going to kick this station into the high gear. I've been starved for ore here but once it's level 2 I can expand to a 150 mineral asteroid and alleviate that problem. There's a few more flares going nearby that are quite large too.

Definitely worth contesting, probably not worth going for the buildings.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I kind of disagree. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it on my second outpost already. I built it in the wildlands south of Virgo and it's admittedly pretty close to several suns. But the one 2 hexes away just spawned me a 2-5000 ore flare that's going to kick this station into the high gear. I've been starved for ore here but once it's level 2 I can expand to a 150 mineral asteroid and alleviate that problem. There's a few more flares going nearby that are quite large too.

My advice above was for newer players who aren't plopping down their second base next to multiple suns with few easy npcs to farm.

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely worth contesting, probably not worth going for the buildings.

This is pretty much the gist of it

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
That first day was a struggle trying to get poo poo down. By day two you kind of have it figured out. Discord goons are awesome. Just play this poo poo; it's surprisingly kickass.

Uziduke
Jul 2, 2015

A storm over Europe unleashed
Dawn of war a trail of destruction
The power of Rome won't prevail
See the Catholics shiver and shake
Think my ESA is going to drop while I'm at school today, hope mu upgraded navel base and missile launchers will detour some aggro.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
I've been getting tens of thousands on mats from solar flares every day.

Also, the pay to win is in stuff like the 1400 prestige runes that give+50% combat stats. A competent whale alliance would rule the game. They've acknowledged that they're too inaccessible to non- whales though, so it might change.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That's pretty lame. They should fix that.

Also JFYI PVP blocking is expiring today if you got in on day one.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Also JFYI PVP blocking is expiring today if you got in on day one.
I just got in today. What is this poo poo?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CopperHound posted:

I just got in today. What is this poo poo?

Basically to stop new players from being dogpiled on, you get a 7 day period where nobody can PVP you. Those of us that got in on day 1 of this alpha have just passed our 7 day period, so we're free to PVP now.

Edit - Oh sorry, didn't see the pic on my phone. That's someone sending a raid fleet to someone else. I guess you scouted it or something. That or it's a notification you're about to get raided by some other player.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Oct 28, 2017

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Naw, I got raided but figure this happened:
That person probably started the raid on whoever was in that spot before me. They got purged, and I took their spot before they landed.

I did loose resources and my defending ships, but the attacking fleet got bugged and didn't fly back. It was just shown sitting on my base until I relogged.

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Jumped on this to check it out. Looks like alliance size is limited to 20 for the beta?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah its limited to 20 people. However we have two Goon alliances right now. Commune of Lowtax (full) and Unity of Lowtax (not full).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice
Great! Applied to Unity.

• Locked thread