Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
A space game made by several former CCP guys... This could either be incredibly awesome or incredibly terrible. Will sign up tonight to find out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Joined as "Omniblivion"

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
This game is surprisingly interesting once you get past the flailing-arms phase of the learning curve.

This game is good if:
-You play stuff in short bursts
-You like idle games
-You want some space game to stare at until Star Citizen comes out (ahahahahaha)

This game is bad if:
-You want fast paced growth/combat
-You hate waiting for timers on pretty much everything
-You don't like PVP or griefing

Paid Items:
The game has some paid features but you're dumb if you buy anything but the starter pack (or really anything at all since we're in ALPHA). While it sells space pixels for real money, it is absolutely not p2w. Ships can't be "instant" rushed like buildings can, and you share a global fleet pool that isn't directly affected by any paid items. Sure, if someone buys a boatload of packs they'd have some advantage... probably 10-20% advantage on a non-paid or starter-pack-only character. You can farm missions that spawn naturally in game to get the same items that come from the paid packs.

If you're new, follow the tutorial achievements. Speed is king. Focus early buildings and cards that give you fleet speed. The more space hexes you can move in an hour, the more minerals/missions/spacebux you can get.

Do not fall for the solar flare trap. Sure, getting a thousand(s) of one material from solar flares sound great, except they only spawn once every loving millennia and anyone can grab them. Do not waste time on solar flare buildings. Sure, if a high level solar flare occurs near you, you can send a fleet to try to contest it. But specializing fleets/buildings for solar flares is a gigantic waste. You're much better off just sending your ships to raid nearby NPC bases.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

I kind of disagree. I've gotten a ton of mileage out of it on my second outpost already. I built it in the wildlands south of Virgo and it's admittedly pretty close to several suns. But the one 2 hexes away just spawned me a 2-5000 ore flare that's going to kick this station into the high gear. I've been starved for ore here but once it's level 2 I can expand to a 150 mineral asteroid and alleviate that problem. There's a few more flares going nearby that are quite large too.

My advice above was for newer players who aren't plopping down their second base next to multiple suns with few easy npcs to farm.

Demiurge4 posted:

Definitely worth contesting, probably not worth going for the buildings.

This is pretty much the gist of it

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'll be back during the next round- I've obviously been out of this one the past few weeks. Too much poo poo going down wrapping up the end of q4

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
I'm definitely in the next round. Got hosed with a busy q4 at work and not enough time to keep my space empire alive.

It's fun for sure and the group thus far has been pretty cool. Should be baller next time around.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Is this round dead yet; did goons all die?

The starborne forums themselves are a ghost town, I haven't looked at discord.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
The sad part was the game was super fun the first few day(s) of the server. Unfortunately the time requirement is completely ridiculous and p2w is a thing.

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Well, p2w in the notion that certain cards are extremely powerful and useful, and the earlier you get them the better advantage you could have *

*note: this all depends on you poopsocking the high time investment the entire season

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012

just another posted:

I have a lovely Dell laptop. Will it be able to play this game?

speaking from experience, the game does not run very well on lovely older laptops. it's playable, but choppy as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniblivion
Oct 17, 2012
Any word on the new alpha?

Just got that new laptop and now I can sperglord it all the time.

• Locked thread