Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
what’s the exchange rate for a BS CS (top 50) to figgies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
how much pleasure does each level of figgies bring?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

creationist believer posted:

what’s the exchange rate for a BS CS (top 50) to figgies?

at least half a figgie on top of your base

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

PleasureKevin posted:

it’s 2017 those don’t exist

that’s some small figgie talk right there. almost as if you were a poor person

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

obstipator posted:

how much pleasure does each level of figgies bring?

in intro to figgies you learn about the diminishing pleasure return curve where it starts to level off at p dece six and a half but it's actually more complicated than that. if you move on to advanced fig theory you start to understand the idiot hellfucker models which make it significantly (heh) more complicated

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

6.66 figgies is the sweet spot hth op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
more figgies equals better than

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
https://youtube.com/watch?v=gbU4VRs2rro

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

6.5 figgies post-tax >= 6.5 figgies pre-tax.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

The Management posted:

more figgies equals better than

go figgie

pram
Jun 10, 2001
kevin is a zero figgie fucktard

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
the figgie value doubles as a pleasure value because they are the same thing

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

PleasureKevin posted:

it’s 2017 those don’t exist
lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

pram posted:

kevin is a zero figgie fucktard

he makes ten cents a year?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

The Management posted:

he makes ten cents a year?

:thunk:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
wait a minute, are negative figgies still a positive amount of money?

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

*sighs as i draw my log table*

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

oh god im so bad at math please probe me

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

Unless you live like a moron I literally don't know how you spend anywhere close to 250k/year as an individual.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

you can go full-bore hedonism but I hope no one who does that believes it’s normal

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

power botton posted:

Unless you live like a moron I literally don't know how you spend anywhere close to 250k/year as an individual.

250k pre tax is about $180k take home.
mortgage + taxes on $2 million Bay Area house = $10k per month. that’s 120k post tax dollars per year.
subtract retirement savings and that doesn’t give you much to work with.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yeah *only* $5k in spending money after the mortgage is taken into account. *imagines a caveman beating two rocks together like a simpleton* Jesus how horrifying

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
id rather live in the google parking lot than spend 2/3 of my salary (regardless of how high it is) paying interest on a mortgage

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Rex-Goliath posted:

yeah *only* $5k in spending money after the mortgage is taken into account. *imagines a caveman beating two rocks together like a simpleton* Jesus how horrifying

$3400, that’s if you contribute nothing to savings. if you’re maxing out your 401k, it’s more like $2500. $1000 of that is food, utilities, insurance. now $1500. not poverty level living, but also not the kind of money where you make big purchases anytime you feel like it.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
maybe don't live in extremely gentrified, overvalued cities where the cost of living is astronomical

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

if you're taking home more than 10 grand a month you can live pretty happily anywhere in the world unless you've decided you need a 1/4 acre lot in monaco or something

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

The Management posted:

mortgage + taxes on $2 million Bay Area house = $10k per month. that’s 120k post tax dollars per year.
subtract retirement savings and that doesn’t give you much to work with.

mo figgies mo problems

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

RISCy Business posted:

maybe don't live in extremely gentrified, overvalued cities where the cost of living is astronomical

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

it depends a lot on the state. in ca/ny where that's more common it'll be more like 160k. which is still plenty ofc

also a techie is probably getting 80k or so of that in rsus (if i remember the poverty-tier income structure right), maybe 50k after taxes. speaking descriptively, some people have mental blocks about selling that straight off because it feels disloyal, which is the point at which 401k + big mortgage/rent + high-col area starts actually feeling tight. of course that's stupid, that 50k isn't just disappearing, it means they're saving a pretty good chunk of change a year, just in a hilariously over-exposed-to-one-company sort of way

The Management posted:

$3400, that’s if you contribute nothing to savings. if you’re maxing out your 401k, it’s more like $2500. $1000 of that is food, utilities, insurance. now $1500. not poverty level living, but also not the kind of money where you make big purchases anytime you feel like it.

i assume you're quoting 1k a month in food as some sort of reasonable, comfortable baseline for normal people, because ime people in this bracket tend to spend waaaay more than 30 bucks a day on restuarants + booze

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

I should buy a tiny 1 bedroom in Chelsea or soho and pray to god I'm never unemployed for any length in time otherwise I'm not really in technology.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

European style studio with combined kitchen/shower.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The highest paying jobs are in the highest priced cities. This is why we must incorporate the indirect utility function into any figgie calculation.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Roosevelt posted:

mo figgies mo problems

henry sentence: death by guillotine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

YouTube is being hopeful in its viewership figgies

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

NoneMoreNegative posted:

YouTube is being hopeful in its viewership figgies

Just Google lying to advertisers as per usual.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

Just Google lying to advertisers as per usual.

problem: advertisers want to advertise to people with money, not ones that are broke as gently caress
sub problem 1: our viewers are mostly poor
sub problem 2: people will click on the first entry in a list regardless

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

The Management posted:

problem: advertisers want to advertise to people with money, not ones that are broke as gently caress
sub problem 1: our viewers are mostly poor
sub problem 2: people will click on the first entry in a list regardless

When viewed with an open mind, problems practically solve themselves.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

hey advertisers are selling aspiration, aren't they?

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
are those strayan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Rex-Goliath posted:

in intro to figgies you learn about the diminishing pleasure return curve where it starts to level off at p dece six and a half but it's actually more complicated than that. if you move on to advanced fig theory you start to understand the idiot hellfucker models which make it significantly (heh) more complicated

figgienometry

• Locked thread