Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

The Management posted:

250k pre tax is about $180k take home.

it depends a lot on the state. in ca/ny where that's more common it'll be more like 160k. which is still plenty ofc

also a techie is probably getting 80k or so of that in rsus (if i remember the poverty-tier income structure right), maybe 50k after taxes. speaking descriptively, some people have mental blocks about selling that straight off because it feels disloyal, which is the point at which 401k + big mortgage/rent + high-col area starts actually feeling tight. of course that's stupid, that 50k isn't just disappearing, it means they're saving a pretty good chunk of change a year, just in a hilariously over-exposed-to-one-company sort of way

The Management posted:

$3400, that’s if you contribute nothing to savings. if you’re maxing out your 401k, it’s more like $2500. $1000 of that is food, utilities, insurance. now $1500. not poverty level living, but also not the kind of money where you make big purchases anytime you feel like it.

i assume you're quoting 1k a month in food as some sort of reasonable, comfortable baseline for normal people, because ime people in this bracket tend to spend waaaay more than 30 bucks a day on restuarants + booze

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
don’t give in to that kind of thinking. there’s always gonna be somebody else who looks like they’re making shitloads more money than you, especially if you don’t know all the ways they’re losing out. you’ll just end up chasing get-rich-quick schemes, and those only ever work out for the grifter

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

people here talk about shares as part of their income because their company literally gives them the shares [or sells them at a discount]; do you have 6-9 months of living expenses in in savings? do that first. I usually buy etfs/stocks in increments of $1000, unless there's some nz equivalent of robin hood transaction fees are going to put a big dent in it if you invest $100 at a time

note that if you have trouble saving money when it's just sitting in your bank account, you can probably at least set up a free automatic transfer to your broker's settlement fund

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
out of loyalty to the pedantic roots of the great figgie debate, i feel obligated to inform you that dropping one or two figgies on a chair would require you to spend somewhere between 90% and 99% of your gross income, which seems excessive for a piece of furniture, however nice it may be

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
a 90% reduction is a 10% retention i.e. decreasing log10(cash)+1 by exactly one, such as from a marginally middle-class income like 219k to 21.9k. 99% is a 1% retention

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
note that under this framework it is theoretically impossible to spend all your figgies, aka xeno's paradox of figgies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Doc Block posted:

wrong, it’s 449999.5 because that’s halfway between 100000 and 999999

but probably 449999.50000001 because a computer toucher who didn’t know any better thought it’d be OK to convert it to floating point representation at some point.

i cant believe what i did it

• Locked thread