Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

xbilkis posted:

In addition to the matador defense on this play, Justin Holiday:

-Fouled a jump shooter on a shot 28 feet from the rim. The Bulls were up three, so the free throws tied the game with 45 seconds left.
-Forced a quick contested three out of a timeout right after that play.
-Fouled again on the next possession, sending Denver to the line to take the lead.

It was a breathtaking final minute of basketball

Fred also wasted a timeout at 45 seconds which they could have used to advance the ball for a final shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/936429309891432450

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

while you can forgive the average fan for hearing the Thunder offense is a struggling double-clutching mass of long 2s and assuming Melo is to blame, it’s pretty obvious to anyone who’s actually watched them play and bumble these games that he’s not the problem. he’s Melo, yeah, but he’s been effective in doing what he does and what he was brought in to do.

the problem has been everyone besides Melo and Steven Adams playing like lovely idiot versions of themselves. Russ only attacks the rim in fits and spurts. when he gets there he can’t seem to finish or draw a foul, and then when he does get to the line he misses the free throws. his normally reliable post game has been miserably useless, I think he’s something like 12% on post up attempts. his mid range shot seems to front iron every loving time, he’s shooting like 27% on them which is massively worse than he was in his rookie season.

he’s visibly hesitant constantly, like you can see the gears turning as he second guesses whether he should take this possession or if he’s missing something for George or Carmelo. he’s deferring to a fault like he used to do when Durant’s narrow rear end would jockey for bad position at the elbow with his arm up then jack up some terrible fadeaway once Russ dutifully fed him the ball, except now it’s Melo jockeying for those passes. I can’t decide if there’s some phantom injury or if it’s just mental, but for all the smug dipshit “Russ is the problem because this is who he is” takes, the issue is that this isn’t who he is. The Thunder have been their best when Russ has played decisively and like he did last year and his whole career before that.

but it’s not all his fault, nobody else (besides Melo and Adams) are doing what they’re supposed to either. Russ generates open 3s for George, who proceeds to overpass to somebody else for a worse look. Or he hesitates before jacking up a now contested shot. Or when he does handle the ball and initiate offense, it ends with either a rushed contested jumper, often over the top of a dutiful (and wasted) Adams screen or a half hearted drive to around 8 feet from the basket.

Melo is playing passable defense, has been game for guarding bigger guys, and is doing what he’s supposed to do, which is shoot the loving ball. The offense’s problem more than anything is indecisiveness. At least when the ball rotates to Melo in the corner, or as the trailer, or on the pop you know he’s not going to waste time firing it up. Obviously those jab stepping mid-range possessions bog everything down, but hey, don’t feed him every time he calls for the ball. Or actually move when he has it, nobody loving moves off the ball except Adams. George usually runs one slow baseline cut then just chills. gently caress, Melo has been more aggressive putting his head down and going to the basket than George has.

Adams is the biggest tragedy for me. The dude is ludicrously efficient scoring, and not just off lobs or open dunks. He’s a legit post threat now, he scores or draws a foul every time he posts up, plus he reads the defense and actually passes well out of there, he hits the weak side man every time with those baseball pitches and he never loving gets the ball to do it. Every offensive possession he’s constantly moving, screening, sealing his man and getting deep position directly under the rim where he’s unguardable, then just getting looked off by the ball handler. Then he boxes out and boards over 3 guys because nobody else is even bothering to rebound all these dumbass shots. His offensive rebounding rate is ludicrous this season. And then he goes and anchors the defense on the opposite end, being expected to switch every loving P&R and cover up every one else’s gambling. Then he goes in interviews and says he’s the problem with the team. The man is a saint.

anyway, combine the stars not playing their usual games with role players like Abrines not hitting shots (Abrines, by the way whose 5-man with the big 4 has by far the best net rating on the team. The past two games he’s been replaced in the rotation by rookie Turd Ferguson because ???), Donovan constantly loving with rotations (those last two things are related), it’s a mess. and like, of course Donovan isn’t coaching these guys to play this way, but isn’t it just a little concerning that whatever he’s telling them to do they just consistently aren’t doing at all? anyway, it’s just frustrating to read most of the analysis including from thunder fans who think the answer is systematic, like “Melo needs to come off the bench” or “Presti needs to make another move” when there’s nothing wrong with the loving roster or the lineup. it’s not a coincidence that their best games are the ones where they’ve all been the most themselves. they just need to not play like complete assholes and get out of their own way and things will be fine.

nice meltdown me jfc i hate basketball

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Stevie Lee posted:

I like seeing the Boston fans' faces on this angle

https://twitter.com/sixers/status/936423166146203648?s=17

Too bad they lost ultimately. Lol

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Cavs 70 wins still alive. I want to believe.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

NBA Secret Santa. Let's do this.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
It must feel bad to have three first ballot hall of famers and choose the worst one.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

I've watched, I dunno, maybe 14 or 15 quarters of OKC play and this seems spot on. Melo is playing the PF with a moderate usage. That's exactly what you want and the OKC defense has been fine. PG looks like he doesn't care on the offensive side of the ball at all and Russ looks like he doesn't know what his role is (which is REALLY weird for Westbrook). I think they'll figure it out but the margin of error in the West is really thin.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

This is my uncle. I think I have to disown him.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

That was a guaranteed loss for the sixers but I'm confident next time they face that team with embiid and equal rest.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

big boi posted:

:sever:

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

big boi posted:

who the gently caress did they call and complain to

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

who the gently caress did they call and complain to

They're in Connecticut and that person is old, so I bet they called the ESPN offices in Bristol. Lol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

big boi posted:

Hello, ESPN? I'm watching a college basketball game, the most boring experience known to sentient beings, and it's a fifty point blowout in an early season matchup that doesn't affect anything, and the broadcaster is trying to distract me from the numbness with tales of climbing mount kilimanjaro and getting dunked on by Larry Bird and the wonders of the universe. Please make him stop.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Lockback posted:

I've watched, I dunno, maybe 14 or 15 quarters of OKC play and this seems spot on. Melo is playing the PF with a moderate usage. That's exactly what you want and the OKC defense has been fine. PG looks like he doesn't care on the offensive side of the ball at all and Russ looks like he doesn't know what his role is (which is REALLY weird for Westbrook). I think they'll figure it out but the margin of error in the West is really thin.

You can't tell me that the steals leader doesn't care about the offensive side of the ball. Especially a guy like PG. They're screening for him and he's getting open for 3's but he's just not hitting them because it looks like his 3 point shot is off. He keeps flicking the ball at the top of the motion instead of following through. With layups and stuff it looks like he's predictably unstoppable in the fast break but seems to be suffering from posting up and getting those over the head feeds or tight lane passes.

I didn't remember him having so much trouble in a similar usage in Indiana so maybe it's just early season jitters.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They probably like Dan Dakich's commentary

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
To me the microcosm of the Thunder this season thus far was that one game where the Thunder had an improbable chance to win, and Russ against all odds somehow beat four people who were boxing out for an offensive rebound, dribbled to the three point line, where he would have last year just turned and put it up, but instead he passed it to a wide open Paul George and PG wound up and shot and the ball hit the rim and rolled around 40 times like all Paul George shots do, and then it finally fell out of the basket and the Thunder lost.

dokmo posted:

Hello, ESPN? I'm watching a college basketball game, the most boring experience known to sentient beings, and it's a fifty point blowout in an early season matchup that doesn't affect anything, and the broadcaster is trying to distract me from the numbness with tales of climbing mount kilimanjaro and getting dunked on by Larry Bird and the wonders of the universe. Please make him stop.

Lmao

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Philly/TWolves being flexed to a national game

https://twitter.com/Twolves_PR/status/936293762711638018

Not a sentence I expected to write 2 years back.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
On Donovan Mitchell: https://streamable.com/klrdk

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Being slightly pessimistic, but I dont think the Flynn news is going to matter.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc
For half a second I thought Jonny Flynn was making a comeback. How disappointing.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Being slightly pessimistic, but I dont think the Flynn news is going to matter.

I mean if all the other stuff hasn't affected anything, I don't think this will. Anything short of Trump on hi-def crystal clear video committing treason isn't getting us rid of him, and even then I wouldn't bet on it. Our best bet is people getting his old, out-of-shape rear end mad as hell and hoping it gives him a fatal coronary.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Can we loving not talk about trump in the basketball thread, the gently caress is wrong with you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Trump thinks Liangelo is an actual NBA prospect. And I will never stop laughing at that.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Oh great what did our Commander in Chief tweet this time? :rolleyes:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Can we loving not talk about trump in the basketball thread, the gently caress is wrong with you

lol?

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

This is our...safe space?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
I think that post was made in the wrong forum cuz it had nothing to do with basketball or anything being discussed. If not it's kind of strange but hey I like strange

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

what does Jared Kushner potentially going t o jail mean for the NBA? Nothing??

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

If you want to talk about political developments or anything not sports with chill people the TFF Chat thread is here for you: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3806443

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Fast Luck posted:

We now know why Westbrook was so sad.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Fast Luck posted:

It would restore a small measure of my shattered faith in some form of justice.

I loving hate him more than...hack a Simmons.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/attackerman/status/936673982778101760

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I heard Flynn was trying to kidnap Kanter and take him back to Turkey

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WhyteRyce posted:

Lebron, Big fan of Erdogan

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Wawaawweeewa

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Dexo posted:

Lebron, Big fan of Erdogan

LeBron was trying to get Kanter ejected, where a Turkish commando squad would be waiting for him in the tunnel

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

WhyteRyce posted:

LeBron was trying to get Kanter ejected, where a Turkish commando squad would be waiting for him in the tunnel

sounds like a good way for Dolan to get out of paying Kanter's contract imo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

There is a fairly significant chance this is actually true.

I have opinion's on Kanter's likelihood he'd be involved in presidential treason and his weakside rim protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

A Turkish commando squad can easily be brought into the country and MSG as roadies for his band

• Locked thread