Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

liquidypoo posted:

Dude you gotta calm down on the attempts at correction and general condescension. Cut the post-game details out of your post, while you're at it. Silver doesn't know all the post-game stuff about Iceborne yet.

Sorry, it's just I'm getting a little annoyed with you and Silver seemingly bashing Iceborne at every opportunity because of either things that they can't really help like monsters who use skeletons already in World being more feasible than ones whose skeletons still need to be tested in World's engine first or monster that had to be updated to fit with the greater mobility/range of tools of World/Iceborne like Tigrex as explained here.

And to be clear, I would love to see Prowler mode return but there are some things I'd rather see return before it like underwater combat and the monster raising system from Dos since the latter could serve as the starting point for integrating Riders into the main series since the odds of getting another Stories game are even more slim.

I removed the post-game spoilers as you requested.

quote:

I mean if you're gonna try to correct us, make sure you're, you know, correct. The first sentence, where you listed all those monsters that you think are split between two skeletons? They're all brute wyverns. The same skeleton. Relax.

Same class =/= same skeleton

Gobul and Nibelsnarf for example definitely don't the Lagiacrus skeleton despite being Leviathans as well. Same for Tigrex and Rathalos not using the same skeleton despite both being Flying Wyverns. Uragaan, Durambaros and Banbaro have a heavier build than Anjanath, Deviljho and Glavenus hence my initial assumption.

Casnorf posted:

Isn't it spelled "Uragaan"?

I was typing on something that isn't really suited to it when I initially posted.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 25, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Chimera-gui posted:

I was typing on something that isn't really suited to it when I initially posted.
Maybe don't?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Chimera-gui posted:

Sorry, it's just I'm getting a little annoyed with you and Silver seemingly bashing Iceborne at every opportunity because of either things that they can't really help like monsters who use skeletons already in World being more feasible than ones whose skeletons still need to be tested in World's engine first or monster that had to be updated to fit with the greater mobility/range of tools of World/Iceborne like Tigrex as explained here.

And to be clear, I would love to see Prowler mode return but there are some things I'd rather see return before it like underwater combat and the monster raising system from Dos since the latter could serve as the starting point for integrating Riders into the main series since the odds of getting another Stories game are even more slim.

My dude, where do you get the idea that we're bashing Iceborne, or World in general? Cuz uh... we're very much not? Criticize, sure. Expect more things from it, sure. Bash? Definitely not. I've sunk a ton of time into World and I love it. It has its problems, for sure definitely most notably lack of Prowler mode but I sure as hell wouldn't bash it.

And also the underwater combat was godawful. Furthermore I don't think Prowler mode belongs in the same category as underwater combat anyway. The Prowler is essentially its own weapon set, as evidenced by it appearing on your Guild Card, riiiiight next to all the other weapons. Underwater combat was more of a side-moveset layered onto the other weapons. Also it wasn't good or fun, while Prowler mode is both good and fun.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

My dude, where do you get the idea that we're bashing Iceborne, or World in general? Cuz uh... we're very much not? Criticize, sure. Expect more things from it, sure. Bash? Definitely not.
Some people who've based their identity on a given opinion think any criticism, legit or otherwise, is a personal attack and must be defended. It's a little, I dunno, well. At that point it's pointless to provide your bonafides, because the fact that you're running an LP isn't nearly enough? Eh, I dunno. I mean, I always thought it was pretty easy to read over a post before you mash that post button but hey, I ain't post much probably because I delete about ninety percent of'em at that there last step.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Chimera-gui posted:

I removed the post-game spoilers as you requested.

Same class =/= same skeleton

Gobul and Nibelsnarf for example definitely don't the Lagiacrus skeleton despite being Leviathans as well. Same for Tigrex and Rathalos not using the same skeleton despite both being Flying Wyverns. Uragaan, Durambaros and Banbaro have a heavier build than Anjanath, Deviljho and Glavenus hence my initial assumption.

iceborne is good and liquidy likes it ur bad at poasting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ambient oatmeal posted:

iceborne is good and liquidy likes it ur bad at paosting

emptyquoting

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
don't mind me, just here honouring a request from casnorf

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Silver Falcon posted:

My dude, where do you get the idea that we're bashing Iceborne, or World in general? Cuz uh... we're very much not? Criticize, sure. Expect more things from it, sure. Bash? Definitely not. I've sunk a ton of time into World and I love it. It has its problems, for sure definitely but I sure as hell wouldn't bash it.

Liquidy has talked about how Tigrex was made worst in Iceborne when while it is more sporadic and smarter and was giving moves to specifically punish strategies from the Old World like kiting it while it charges, it's important to remember that World was meant to be more realistic and is built around mobility so monsters like Tigrex and Rajang have to be both faster and smarter to keep from being complete jokes given our current arsenal.

quote:

And also the underwater combat was godawful. Furthermore I don't think Prowler mode belongs in the same category as underwater combat anyway. The Prowler is essentially its own weapon set, as evidenced by it appearing on your Guild Card, riiiiight next to all the other weapons. Underwater combat was more of a side-moveset layered onto the other weapons. Also it wasn't good or fun, while Prowler mode is both good and fun.

Here's the thing though: Underwater combat has a lot of potential as a mechanic, it was just attempted at the wrong time and thus was not implemented as well as it could have been as Josh of Rage Gaming Videos explains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fruqr_Ojz3o

The main problem that kept underwater combat from being good or fun was the clunky control system of the Old World. It's as Nitro Rad said in his analysis video: "A bad water hinders movement and diminishes game mechanics instead of enhancing them."

Imagine if Hunters could swim and fight underwater as well as Zora Link or Link wearing the Zora Armor are able to, would underwater combat be received as negatively as it was?

Prowler mode is quite literally just "you can play as your Palico now" which really only works in Generations because 1) you are able to have multiple Palicoes with different specialties by your side 2) the Prowler had unlimited pickaxes/nets making gathering much less of a chore 3) don't need items freeing up inventory 4) have no need to worry about armor skills making it better for fashion hunting until transmogrification was added in GU and 5) you have two extra lives each cart.

Now World did away with multiple Palicoes with different specialties leaving you with your one and only Palico not counting Tailraiders you find in the field, gave the hunter unlimited pickaxes and a reusable net, made stuff you don't actually consume go directly into your storage box and made it possible to look good and have good skills thanks to layered armor.

Answer me honestly Silver, would you still want to play as a Prowler if it was limited to three carts like the Hunter knowing the latter already has benefits that mitigated what made the former good?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Prowlers are a short-mid ranged weapon with decent melee options along with that. They also have some cool options, with the ability to specialize in different directions, for either more offense or defense. No other weapon really has that option of tossing out an attack at range and then closing in to melee. Gunlance comes closest, but gunlance is the opposite of mobile, while prowlers can run around the battlefield with their weapons out and are great at positioning. Piercing boomerangs are also unique in the way they function in that they hit monsters on the way out and on the way back.

Of course, if you remove the three lives per cart and all the other tangential benefits, then you would have to allow prowlers to use items to compensate. I'd be totally down to play prowlers in that environment in World, or even just a hunter with a prowler-like moveset that blends melee and ranged attacks together in a similar way.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wouldn't necessarily force Prowlers to use items since Palicoes in World do have the ability to heal themselves without items, they just wouldn't have have quite as robust and customizable a move pool as they have in Generations (basically your move pool is tied to what Gadget you use apart from a few generic moves you always have like self healing and recruiting Tailraiders in the field).

Honestly, Prowlers having three lives per cart is the only element from Generations I could see carry over into a World style game if Prowler were to come back since you kinda need to compensate for how weak Palico armor is compared to Hunter armor, the question was more about the viability of Prowlers if they received a significant nerf from Generations since transmog was significantly changed for World when it became the Layered Armor system.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jan 25, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Chimera-gui posted:

Liquidy has talked about how Tigrex was made worst in Iceborne when while it is more sporadic and smarter and was giving moves to specifically punish strategies from the Old World like kiting it while it charges, it's important to remember that World was meant to be more realistic and is built around mobility so monsters like Tigrex and Rajang have to be both faster and smarter to keep from being complete jokes given our current arsenal.

Answer me honestly Silver, would you still want to play as a Prowler if it was limited to three carts like the Hunter knowing the latter already has benefits that mitigated what made the former good?

We say we don't like how some monsters behave in Iceborn = we're bashing Iceborne. Ok then

And also to the latter question uh... Yes? Somewhere between yes and gently caress YES? What in the world do you take me for here, bro?

And you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how theoretical Prowlers in World would behave, based only on how the Palicoes behave. Just because you can't figure out how to make Prowlers work in World, doesn't mean the devs couldn't.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You know I wonder if our boy here just doesn't like World generally, since he seems to have no faith in the people who make it to make informed decisions about the directions they want to take. I mean early in World's development I was the same way, since I had maintained for at least a decade that Capcom genuinely had no idea *why* Monster Hunter was such a success. And of course here we are, with egg on my face from that provably wrong opinion, getting excited to play Iceborne with my bros any night we can actually get together and laughing and carrying on, well. They get it. I'm sure Monster Hunter is in good hands and I can't wait to see how they implement Zamtrios.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Classic projection, huh? I mean, that does make sense in the face of how I'm constantly wishing for more things to be put in Iceborne. I keep asking for even more reasons to make me play the game, yet somehow that means I hate it.

Speaking of which, how many of us here have already gotten their meat hammers? Go mess around with the new appreciation festival, you guys, it's real good!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Uh guys, I have literally been defending World's decisions from the start and yet that somehow means I must hate the game?

Nevermind that I have sung its praises in this very thread to the point I've said that I prefer it to Generations Ultimate just from the quality of life changes and fluid controls alone.

The only and I mean only time I've ever expressed frustration is with Behemoth and more specifically Extreme Behemoth who I only just beat recently because of Master rank equipment and it was still obnoxious, an opinion I likely am not alone in having.

But here's the thing, I like Behemoth despite its bullshit. I love how it and Leshen's addition to World were handled in narrative, more so for Leshen, and adore what they mean for collaborations going forward.

Hell, people genuinely thought the December title update monster was going to be something from Horizons and it could very well have if the HZD stuff wasn't PS4 exclusive.

Silver Falcon posted:

And you're making an awful lot of assumptions about how theoretical Prowlers in World would behave, based only on how the Palicoes behave. Just because you can't figure out how to make Prowlers work in World, doesn't mean the devs couldn't.

Except I have been speaking from the perspective of the devs. That's why I say that monsters that require skeletons which are not in the game are longshots at best and am basing a theoretical Prowler mode on what's already in the game. Because those are the restrictions the devs themselves are likely working under.

Generations was likely designed with Palico skill customization and Prowler mode from the start whereas World was not. If Prowler mode was added into Iceborne, it simply would not work the way it does in Generations because that's not how Palicoes work in World.

TL:DR Game design is not as easy as people think and trying to explain that somehow means I must hate the game.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 23, 2020

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

When you're gonna write a wall of text about how right you are and everyone else is wrong it might be time to stop reading the thread dude

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

My favorite part is my dude making real broad assumptions about the nature of the other participants in the conversation.

Well, insofar as there is a conversation and everyone else is being, uh, lectured to. Oh, ding dang it, I think I just had a moment of lucidity, and I don't like it at all!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Chimera-gui posted:

TL:DR Game design is not as easy as people think and trying to explain that somehow means I must hate the game.

Hey, so you've said your piece, they've responded, there seems to be a misunderstanding--let it go. I've only been in this thread for a short while and I already see it getting derailed.

edit:grammar

Sally fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 26, 2020

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Understood, gonna drop this conversation and just share the trailer for the MH Stories spin-off Monster Hunter Riders instead. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4VxxXLQLSk

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Just a heads up, this LP is not dead! OP just got a bit lazy... then my husband got sick, then I got sick.

But I'm feeling better now so updates will resume once we can wrangle everyone together to record commentary!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And I somehow forgot you can have Yian Garuga in Stories:

In my defense it doesn't have a Stories render, this is actually the Garuga render from the upcoming MH Riders, and it also only has the ability to fly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:See, we're not dead!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56DkYS8d6ws

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:STILL NOT DEAD!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsGqJWW7v1o

Next we're taking on Valstrax!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Uh, Ludroth and Mizutsune are two species within the Leviathan class.

Also:

Gore Magala page on Monster Hunter wiki posted:

External official sources, such as the "Hunter's Encyclopedia 4," places Gore Magala in the Elder Dragon classification as the same species as Shagaru Magala. Despite this, Gore Magala can be trapped, and remains a ??? in Monster Hunter 4, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, Monster Hunter Generations, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate...

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I think it's funny y'done gave away your m.o. yo. Regurgitating wikis ain't thinking for yourself, nor is it enjoying anything on your own terms. If you are so insecure as to be incapable of having opinions of your own why bother sharing anything at all? Where are you in this discussion? Is there no there there?

Also, for liquidypoo's benefit: gore magala

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Chimera-gui posted:

Also:

My dude, that is precisely what I said! Fair enough if I get poo poo wrong, but in that case I didn't! I know my classification nomenclature.

Weird about Gore Magala though. Guess I coulda trapped him!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Casnorf posted:

gore magala

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

liquidypoo posted:

gore magala

gore magala

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

Also:

Casnorf posted:

I think it's funny y'done gave away your m.o. yo. Regurgitating wikis ain't thinking for yourself, nor is it enjoying anything on your own terms. If you are so insecure as to be incapable of having opinions of your own why bother sharing anything at all? Where are you in this discussion? Is there no there there?

I'm going to kindly ask the both of you to chill the gently caress out, okay.

^ That means stop trying to backseat drive the LP.

^ And just try to ignore the dude trying to :actually: his way through Falcon's LP.

Got it?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nnnnnnope!

Wait, no, the other one. Yes. Yes, I can absolutely make my own LP. With blackjack! And well-compensated companions of all stripes!

Dealer shows 18.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:This is it, people! The big one!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR54E8zAego

We did it!*

*We are not done.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
As a Monstie, Barioth isn't anything we haven't seen before as it has the ability to fly and smash rocks. What makes Barioth noteworthy though is that one named Frostfang appears as the signature Monstie of Avinia, a Rider we meet early on after leaving our home village to see the world:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 25, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Here we go, first post-game update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB8BCVeBBIU

Now the real fun begins! :getin:

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Man, Pickle is annoying to face. I haven't personally fought him in Gen U yet, but hoo boy, this is definitely something to look forward to.

Jade Rider
May 11, 2007

All the pages have been censored except for "heck," and she misread that one.

I second the vote for the D'artanyan armor.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Just a note on Jho, it will attack other monsters if they're in the vicinity and will even eat captured ones. It is especially brutal towards other monsters in World and even ties in Turf Wars with Bazel.

As a monstie in Stories, Jho gets Monster Detect and Mega Rock Smash as its abilities as is the signature Monstie of the Ebon Rider Wrath:

As for Silver's Armor, it's gotta be Valstrax.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

All right, Deviljho Talons status: acquired!

https://twitter.com/Silver_FalconSA/status/1247987454239367168?s=20

I also picked up some stray Support Moves I hadn't gotten, due to forgetting to bring the proper cat with me when I hunted these monsters. Burrowing Blow comes from Barrioth, Lavasioth gives Explosive Transpurrter, and to get Stunt Cannon you wanna go after a Gravios.

Speaking of Gravios:

https://twitter.com/Silver_FalconSA/status/1247988088078389248?s=20

Urbosa kinda clowned him in about 10 minutes. Urbosa vs. Deviljho was... less... good, let's say. There's not enough flesh real estate close to the ground and the rest of the meaty bits move around too much to do the launching attack successfully. Disappointing. I do like Beast cat an awful lot.

Prep work for Rajang is complete. I will show him absolutely no mercy. Look forward to it!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:And heeeeeeere we go!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWepXAAvmWQ

Here's the OTHER non-Elder Dragon post-game monster, and the only one I refer to simply as "That Fucker."

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

I'm the exact opposite of you guys regarding Rajang and Jho in World/Iceborne, I actually enjoyed fighting Rajang the first time in Iceborne more than Jho in base World.

Jho in base World was straight up obnoxious taking several attempts to complete the special quest whereas the Rajang special quest surprisingly only took two attempts, a failed solo attempt and a successful group attempt. And in both I was having too much fun doing leaping attacks, dodging around it, riding its back and launching it into walls with the flinch shot while trying not to get ripped off and thrown into a wall myself to give a drat.

You were more or less right regarding traps as Rajang has a notable quirk with them do to its intelligence. Un-enraged it will destroy pitfall traps and and can be caught by shock traps but while enraged it get caught by pitfall traps and destroy shock traps with the red armed, fully enraged state having a special animation for this involving Rajang ripping the trap off the ground and crushing it in its hands.

And while the developers could add non-endgame/Elder Dragon monsters in theory, that assumes they'd actually want to since:
  • A lot of the mid-tier monsters, namely Zamtrios, the crabs, Nerscylla and Seltas/Queen, would require updating skeletons to even work in World's engine which does not always go well as demonstrated by Lagiacrus

• The DLC is meant to be post game meaning your beloved mid-tier monsters would have to get the Yian Garuga treatment to even have a chance of being a title update headliner because title headliners have to be able to actually carry a title update and there are few that could such as the Magalas, Dalamadur and the remaining Fated Four.

The Magalas and Astalos could happen since they use skeletons similar to Nergegante and the Raths respectively but both Dalamadur and Gammoth would require updated skeletons and Mizutsune uses the Lagi skeleton which still needs to be fixed and thus is not likely to appear until the next mainline MH game.

Like as much as I want Zamtrios, Nerscylla and Seltas/Queen to come back, and make no mistake I do, expecting them this late into Iceborne when we're getting a Black Dragon next month is just not realistic thinking.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's almost like you think ultracompetitive endgame tryhards are the only people who play. Hm. And the amount of effort a task might take doesn't really have much bearing on whether it gets done in this context, because that work isn't done in a vacuum. You know what they say, though... Context is for kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Wanna give me a timestamp to when we say we allegedly expect mid tier monsters? Don't put words in our mouths.

You really need to stop getting bent out of shape about us talking up the stuff we want to see. Everybody enjoys games differently, and you seem unable to just simply accept that!