Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
It's fine to want something but it's important to understand that the amount of effort a task might take does in fact have bearing on what gets, it always has.

Casnorf posted:

Context is for kings.

Ironic that you can't understand the context that gaming companies like Capcom are businesses and thus can only devote so many resources to DLC and Iceborne DLC adds more than just monsters.

Consider the DLC World got prior to Iceborne: Deviljho, Kulve, Lunastra, Behemoth and Leshen/Ancient Leshen. If those five only the last one has a completely new skeleton.

Even Rajang is not immune to this since it became DLC because it needed more development time and everything after Rajang has followed the pattern of re-using skeleton to save resources.

liquidypoo posted:

You really need to stop getting bent out of shape about us talking up the stuff we want to see. Everybody enjoys games differently, and you seem unable to just simply accept that!

This remark would carry more weight of you and Casnorf did not literally just badmouth competitive players and those who want tough monsters.

That said I apologize to Silver for taking this personally, I will try to do better.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Someone wanting something doesn't mean they don't understand the dev process. You dont need to jump in and mainsplain it and white knight the developers, they're probably doing fine on their own.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Chimera-gui posted:

Ironic that you can't understand the context that gaming companies like Capcom are businesses and thus can only devote so many resources to DLC and Iceborne DLC adds more than just monsters.

This remark would carry more weight of you and Casnorf did not literally just badmouth competitive players and those who want tough monsters.

If Capcom is a business and thus can only devote so many resources to Iceborne DLC, especially given that MHW is more than two years old at this point and the new generation of consoles is looming on an ever closing horizon...Has it occurred to you that in this context, MHW is not the only product which might use the assets generated by work on other, more unique fan-favorite monsters? Kings, indeed.

There you go putting words in people's mouths. I called them ultracompetitive tryhards, which I can see might be read as derogatory in its hyperbole...if it weren't a literally accurate assessment. Would it offend your delicate sensibilities less if I referred to that particular class of players as the leading asymptote of the skill ceiling curve? I mean, it's the same exact group, but if you're looking for a fight, you'll make any excuse you can to find one.

Look, it's kind of neon-sign obvious that not only are you not a game developer, but you have a tendency to speak for people instead of letting them speak for themselves. This gets tiresome, and is honestly annoying my friend Silver, so I'm gonna call you out, right here, by giving you the opportunity to do the thing you think you've got a handle on. Let us settle this like the pasty, sun-fearing nerds we clearly are!

I, casnorf, challenge chimera-gui to a game jam duel.

The stakes: banishment from this thread! Should I lose, I will no longer post in this thread, upon pain of toxx. I challenge player two to endure similar stakes. (I think we can get this one enforced, haha.)

The structure should be as follows: we each shall have a certain allotted amount of time to create from scratch a playable game on the subject of a (relatively) impartial judge's choosing. I, as it turns out, can't really code, so I'd be making a card or board game of some stripe, but I need not insist on that particular limitation for my extant opponent. I am quite certain we can find or convene a panel of friends to judge the merits and an eventual victor.

Details can be worked out as necessary, but as of this moment, the gauntlet has been thrown.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Or we could not? Can we not, please?

Unlocked thread because of mod intervention. See you guys next update.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 23, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Chimera-gui posted:

DIPSHITTERY

Casnorf posted:

EVEN MORE DIPSHITTERY, HOLY poo poo

Ah, yes, I see the both of you graduated from the Academy of Ignoring When The Mods Tell You To Shut The gently caress Up. Here are your diplomas, you're both exemplary students, and by "exemplary" I of course mean "awful posters". We're getting tired of the complaints born from this thread from random posters and the OP alike about how the both of you are churning up the ground around you like a pair of raging bulls trying out out-shithead one another.

Well, and PAY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE GUYS, it stops here. If you both don't shut up and stop posting belligerently at each other and in general in this thread, then you will no longer be allowed to post in this thread. You have both made the OP so uncomfortable that they have mulled stopping the LP entirely because it does nothing but spawn drama between the two of you at this point. So knock it off.

If we get word that you somehow even after this can't stop being e-pricks to each other, then we will not hesitate to threadban the both of you on the spot.

tl;dr:

Chimera-gui: Stop being Professor Well, Actually... and let Silver Falcon run the LP the way they want to run it and acting like a petulant child when the LP doesn't show off the things you want it to show off.

Casnorf: Stop being an rear end in a top hat. Yes, we get it, no one likes Professor Well, Actually... but these laser-focused belligerent posts and Scarlet Pimpernel glove slap duel challenges really suck and make you look actively worse than the guy you're trying to own.

So, are we completely clear on this now? Actually don't answer that just yet, you're going on a 12 hour posting vacation first.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Apr 23, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aRPKyVn1As

This is the last non-Elder dragon new monster. From here on, there be dragons!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Based on my research, it seems like Black Diablos' designation as a Subspecies was an artifact of Monster Hunter G not having Variant as a designation which is why it, Red Khezu and Black Gravios are designated as Subspecies when they should actually be Variants.

The first monster to get the designation of Variant was Rusted Kushala Daora which was introduced in Monster Hunter 2. And then there's Scarred Yian Garuga:

First codified as a Variant in Monster Hunter World: Iceborne, these have actually been appearing in the series since Monster Hunter Freedom prior to the introduction of Yian Garuga individuals with uninjured faces in Freedom Unite; a fact that didn't come to light until the 15th Anniversary Monster Hunter Monsters Size Comparison last year:

In Stories, Yian Garuga only appears as standard unscarred Yian Garuga individuals on the hatching screen immediately after birth with the juvenile Yian Garuga adopting the appearance of Scarred Yian Garuga upon leaving that screen.

And speaking of Stories, I forgot to talk about Diablos and Monoblos though admittedly both have the abilities to Roar and Dig.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 6, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey, it's everyone's favorite day! Update day!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7wq7YMq_bI

That's the last of the non-Elder dragon key quests. Hope you like dragons!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:OK! Here be Dragons!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jvDri51f9WM

So, I didn't get to go into much detail about this because we ran out of time, but we're at the point where we must make a decision. I can't do the Urgent Quests for 10* Village until we hit HR 8 in the Hunter's Hub. (That's G-rank, btw). Currently we're at... 6 or so? I think? Either way it'll be a bit before the LP cats can qualify for it.

There is another option though! I could switch over recording to my main file, with my end-game cats, and really show the game what for! Plus side, skips all the grinding! Downside, we would have to bid farewell to Nyalcon and crew.

So, weigh in on this if you have an opinion!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I vote for do whatever you think is best, multiplayer prior to World tends to be obnoxiously tedious since it's a separate campaign altogether so I cannot fault you for wanting to skip straight to G-rank especially since most of the lr/hr stuff in the Hub is stuff we've already seen by this point.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 6

Welcome to today's edition of Felyne News Network. As usual, we are your hosts Purregrine,

and Meowltese!

Nyalcon is still on special assignment at the Hunter's Hub. We'll go to her now for her latest report.

Nyalcon here, and my faithful nyameracat- Zelda, reporting to you again from the Hunter's Hub!

Last time, we fended off the dreaded Nyakarkos and earned Elite Hunter status! I'll let the Wycademy Gal explain further:

:j: Anyway, congratulations on your promotion to Elite Hunter! What what! ... Okay, serious voice time. *Ahem* This means you can now take on 4* Quests, which are also known as High-rank Quests. These High-rank Quests are a bit different from the regular Quests you're used to. Let me explain...

:j: Well, in the case of High-rank Quests, the guild cannot always safely send you to the camp. In short, it means we can't specify the starting location of a Quest. You won't know it until you're there. Second, you have to consider the supplies for your Quest. Usually, the are in your Supply Box, right? However, in the case of High-rank Quests, some of those supplies might not be delivered on time. The monsters in High-rank Quests are on a whole other level, so it's hard for the Guild to send support. Wow! It's like, "Hey, you did a great job for us so far, but now you gets no love."

She doesn't know how right she is.

I know, right? Silly puny human hunters needing to lug around all those items! Must be tough.

Of course, before we could tackle High-rank anything, first I had to help Holly with the Nyakarkos. Guild regulations being what they are, after all...

It does get a little silly sometimes.

We gathered our purrty and ventured forth!

Nyakarkos looks scary, but it's... honestly not that bad?

First, we enjoyed the lovely sunrise from the top of Wyvern's End.

Then it was time to dive head first into the breach!

The main purroblem with Nyakarkos is it can send your furiends to the Bone Zone. Try to dodge while covered in that blue goop, and you'll be trapped in bones! It's a binding effect like Mewzutsune's bubble or Gammeowth's snow clods.

Two ways to deal with it! Either...

Get a furiend to smack you out of it, or

Soothing Roll!

Nyakarkos drops Timeworn Ballista Shots as shinies. And fur once, Prowlers can actually use them!

Shocking!

You can also gather normal Ballista Ammo from the piles of junk around Wyvern's End. They work the same way.

Now, one interesting thing about Nyakakos, it has a big glowing weakspot on its back. Normally, you can only hit it when you knock the beast over, but well. We're cats. We have boomerangs.

Oh, look out! It's pissed!

Holly figured out that you can just machinegun Nyakarkos' weakspot by aiming your boomerangs.

Here's a nice close-up view of it. Aim your 'rangs and get flingin'!

Against such a coordinated assault, it didn't last long.

And with that, Holly could join us in High Rank!

Now, if you were expecting High Rank to be much diffurent... well I guess it is if you haven't been doing as many Village Quests as we have. But... we have. So, furgive me if I truncate this a bit.

We fought Kecha Wacha,

Seltas (yes, Seltas. Not even Seltas Queen. Just ordinary "dies in 5 minutes" Seltas),

a big dumb crab,

and two bird brains.

The only noteworthy things: I discovered Nyan Kut-Ku sleeps standing up,

and we killed that stupid faking Rubber Ducky as soon as it got back up.

The experience is valuable, at least.

And at last the Guild Manager had something fur us!

:witch: Your target is a Plesioth that has appeared in the Misty Peaks. We researchers are fascinated by its ability to live anywhere from the driest deserts to tropical forests. Of course, that doesn't change a thing with regards for your Quest or the hunt. I'm sure it'll be a simple task for you, but that doesn't mean "be careless," of course.

It's just a Plesioth. I'll be as careless as I want. You're not my mom!

That's all from me for today! Next time, Urgent Quest! Nyalcon, signing off.

Hello? Can you hear us?

I think we're good. Hello, gentle viewers! This is Meowltese and Purregrine, reporting to you live from FNN headquarters! That footage you just saw was recorded awhile ago. We didn't hear from Nyalcon for a long time after that, and we were starting to worry.

But worry not! We finally got in touch with her, and she's fine. However, we're facing a bit of a purroblem now.

Basically, this special assignment of hers has taken too long. We can't progress any further in the Village quests until Nyalcon reaches Hunter Rank 8 (which is the beginning of the infamous G-Rank).

Right, when last we heard from her, she was about to tackle the Urgent quest for rank...5. Kind of a long way to go. So, we had to make a decision. Our choices boiled down to two options: pull Nyalcon out and send in some high-level purrfessionals to take over,

or tell Nyalcon and Holly to kindly hurry up so the Cat Crew can finally gain access to the last Urgent Quests in the Village.

Consensus among you, the viewers, was to let us decide how to purrcede, and we have decided.

We sent Nyalcon some new armor, and told her to give them hell! We'll go now to her latest report!

Hello! Nyalcon and Zelda, reporting again from the Hunter's Hub! Thanks for the new armor you sent, ladies! It makes me feel powerful! Now, I believe we had an Urgent Quest to handle?

:j: Your target this time is a Plesioth. It's a large Leviathan, also known as "The Wyvern of Water." I heard from a few hunters that it has a really annoying hip attack. So if what they say is true, look out for that! Also, says here in my notes that it's rather fond of... frogs? What are you supposed to do, fish it out!?

Now, I was told I need to hurry things up down here. So, I think you know what that means!

Wait, she's not going to...

Yes, I think she is. Oh boy, here we go...

The hour's apurroaching to give it our best, and we've got to reach our purrime.

That's when we need to put ourselves to the test, and show them the passage of time!

We're going to need a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Ooh it takes a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Show a lot of things happening at once, remind everyone of what's going on.

What's going on?

And with every shot, show a little impurrovement. To show it all would take too long.

That's called a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Girls, we want a meowntage!

Meowntage!

In anything if you want to go, from just a beginner to a purr-o, (and that's current level cap for me!)

you need a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Even Rocky had a Meowntage!

Who's Rocky?

Hush, she's on roll!

Always fade out in a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Fur some reason, I felt a sudden chill down my spine...

Eh, I'm sure it's nothing.

If you fade out,

it seems like more time has passed in a meowntage!

Meowntage!

Ahem, so, serious voice fur just a moment here. Holly and I discovered something while we were fighting the Seregios! I got hit with Bleed, and had the idea to try burrowing.

I waited underground fur a few seconds, and yep! The Bleed went away, just as if I had crouched, but without the risk of getting attacked! Very handy. Bet those poor puny humans wish they could do that!

Right. Anyway. One more time! Meowntage!

Meowntage!

:witch: I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news on such a happy occasion, but we have a bit of a situation... We thought the disappearances of the monsters and airships were over, but now they're happening again.

:witch: Areas that were previously safe are reporting regular attacks every day. Which can only mean that this monster is even fiercer and more ravenous than ever before. I've already given the order to recall the expedition team. Let's hope it gets to them before Nakarkos does...

Sounds like things are "getting real," as they say.

But we will save that fur another day! The way to HR 7 is open! Not much further now! This is Nyalcon, signing off!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 22, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:LP Content!:siren:

Come one, come all, we are streaming our entry to HR8 and thus G-rank! Come join us! The stream recording will be added to this space when the stream is over, so no worries if you miss us live! We'll be starting in just a few!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9sNgeTqlP0

Here's the stream recording!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 26, 2020

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I tried to join the stream but got audio-only

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

Chronojam posted:

I tried to join the stream but got audio-only

Yeah, that happens with Twitch sometimes. It's an issue on Twitch's end, since it seems to affect people randomly.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:All right, we're doing this!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLbB90kK8LY

It's Urgent Quest time!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I wanna say the Arena spawning thing is quest structure since they still do it even in World where you can have three large monsters occupying a map at the same time, including Elder Dragons.

My best explanation for this is that they don't want you to have a situation where a certain Elder Dragon just spawns in while you're fighting Anjanath or Rathalos during High Rank arena event quest even though that is something that can happen during a Master Rank expedition.

And since we got to see the Corpse Dragon's true face, let's talk about our friend shall we?

It seems like design team decided to make it a cephalopod pretty early on every concept design following the first one is rather mollusk-y with the main influence seeming to be the nautilus:

You might have noticed Nakarkos attacking a Ceadeus in the illustration 26, that's because these Elder Dragons have been documented capable of taking down Ceadeus pups as well as Shen Gaoren though they usually feed on smaller monsters such as Uragaan, Diablos, Hermitaur, Daimyo Hermitaur, Volvidon, Glavenus, Brachydios, Agnaktor, Rathalos, Nargacuga, and Lagiacrus.

Conversely, the only things that could potentially threaten a Nakarkos are other Elder Dragons like older Ceadeus which are their only known predator.

And since you mentioned octopus intelligence, I'm gonna post Zorak's Octopus segment from his Endless Ocean Let's Play: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMFvDClbAJE

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 10

Let's see, when's the last time I did one of these? What? A YEAR AGO?! Why didn't anybody tell me? poo poo. All right, all right, we have a lot of new monsters to meet. These are the last of the "regular" monsters. After these, things start to get... weird. Better get started!

As always, click on a monster's name to view its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

For drops:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Gravios

Family: Flying Wyvern

Habitat: Marshlands, Volcano, Volcanic Hollow, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Threat Level: *****

Introduced: Monster Hunter

Primary Element- Fire

Recommended Status Protection- Sleep, HG Earplugs, High Wind Pressure, Tremor

Weakness(es)- Water, Dragon, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head, Chest (x2), Back, Wings* (both), Legs* (both), Tail (cut)
*Each wing and each leg can be broken separately. Breaking its legs does not award items.

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Gravios Carapace (C), Coma Sac (R), Inferno Sac (S), Wyvern Gem (S), Gravios Scalp (S)

Tail Carve- Gravios Carapace (C), Monster Hardbone (R), Gravios Medulla (R), Firecell Stone (S)

Capture- Inferno Sac (U), Gravios Carapace (U), Coma Sac (R), Gravios Wing (R), Firecell Stone (S)

Break Head- Gravios Carapace (C), Gravios Scalp (U), Firecell Stone (S)

Break Chest- Gravios Carapace (U), Gravios Wing (U), Monster Hardbone (U)

Break Back- Gravios Carapace (C), Coma Sac (x2) (S)

Break Wings- Gravios Wing (C), Monster Hardbone (U), Gravios Wing (x2) (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Large Wyvern Tear (C), Firecell Stone (S)
For complete list of loot, click here

Monsterpedia posted:

Large wyverns found in volcanic areas. They possess a fiery breath attack and the ability to emit sleeping gas. Their bony carapaces are extremely tough, but expose a surprisingly brittle interior once destroyed.

Great Thunderbug

Family: Neopteron

Habitat: Jungle, Desert, Marshlands, Ruined Pinnacle

Threat Level: **

Introduced: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Drops:

High Rank
    Carve- Shocking Extract (C), Monster Broth (R), Thunderbug (S)

Shiny Drop- Shocking Extract (C), Monster Broth (R), Thunderbug (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Thunderbugs can be used to make a variety of weapons and items, but these ones have grown to a monstrous size inside an elder dragon. They are imbued with formidable electric powers. They congregate at night and in caves where the sunlight doesn't reach.

Duramboros

Family: Brute Wyvern

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Deserted Island, Marshlands, Jungle

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Tremor, HG Earplugs, Stun

Weakness(es)- Fire, Poison, KO

Breakable Bits- Horns, Hump, Tail (x2)*
*Tail piece can be carved after it is broken off. The tail can also be mined.

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Duram Carapace (U), Hard Mossplate (U), Duramboros Hump (S), Duram Sacrum (S)

Tail Carve- Duram Tailcase+ (C), Duram Carapace (R), Duram Sacrum (S)

Mining- Duram Tailcase+ (C), Duram Carapace (R), Duram Sacrum (S)

Capture- Hard Mossplate (U), Duramboros Hump (R), Duramboros Carapace (R), Duramboros Horn (S) , Duram Sacrum (S)

Break Horns- Duramboros Horn+ (C), Duram Carapace (U)

Break Hump- Duramboros Hump (C), Hard Mossplate (U), Duram Carapace (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (U), Large Wyvern Tear (U), Hard Mossplate (R), Duramboros Hump (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Giant brute wyverns with hammer-like growths on their tails. They subsist on fallen or withered trees, often using their tails to knock said trees over. Researchers speculate that the lumps on their backs act as some sort of energy source.

Seltas Queen

Family: Neopteron

Habitat: Ancestral Steppe, Primal Forest, Jungle, Jurrassic Frontier

Introduced: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Primary Element- Water

Recommended Status Protection- Nulberry, Stench, Tremor

Weakness(es)- Fire, Ice, Poison, Blast

Breakable Bits- Pedipalps, Mandibles, Legs*, Tail
*Each leg can be broken individually

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- S. Queen Carapace (U), S. Queen Hardpectus (U), S. Queen Sharpclaw (S), S. Queen Extract (S)

Capture- S. Queen Hardpectus (U), S. Queen Carapace (R), S. Queen Sharpclaw (R), S. Queen Jaw (S), Torrent Sac (x2) (S), S. Queen Extract (S)

Break Pedipalps- S. Queen Sharpclaw (C), S. Queen Hardpectus (U)

Break Mandibles- S. Queen Jaw (C), S. Queen Hardpectus (R), S. Queen Extract (S)

Break Legs- S. Queen Sharpclaw (C), S. Queen Carapace (U), S. Queen Hardpectus (S)

Break Tail- S. Queen Crescent (C), S. Queen Carapace (S), Torrent Sac (x2) (S)

Shiny Drop- Queen Substance (C), Drone Substance (R), S. Queen Carapace (R), S. Queen Extract (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Unable to fly by themselves, these wingless female Neopterons release pheromones to lure in male Seltas to serve as thralls. Seltas Queens possess a hard carapace, which they use to protect their vulnerable abdomens and mucus-spewing maws, which are vulnerable when exposed.

Agnaktor

Family: Leviathan

Habitat: Volcano, Volcanic Hollow

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3

Primary Element- Fire

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Tremor

Weakness(es)- Water, Dragon (without lava coating), Poison

Breakable Bits- Beak, Chest, Dorsal Fin, Legs*, Tail, Tail (cut)
*Each leg can be broken individually

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Agnaktor Carapace (U), Agnaktor Hide+ (U), Scalding Pleura+ (R), Agnaktor Claw+ (S), Agnaktor Scale (S), Firecell Stone (S)

Tail Carve- Agnaktor Tail (C), Agnaktor Fin+ (U)

Capture- Agnaktor Hide+ (U), Agnaktor Fin+ (R), Agnaktor Scale (x2) (R), Agnaktor Tail (R), Scalding Pleura+ (R), Wyvern Gem (S)

Break Beak- Agnaktor Beak (C), Agnaktor Carapace (x2) (R), Lava Nugget (S), Wyvern Gem (S)

Break Chest- Scalding Pleura+ (C), Agnaktor Hide+ (U), Firecell Stone (R)

Break Legs- Agnaktor Claw+ (C), Agnaktor Claw+ (x2) (U), Agnaktor Scale (x2) (S)

Break Dorsal Fin- Agnaktor Fin+ (C), Agnaktor Scale (R), Agnaktor Hide+ (R), Wyvern Gem (S)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (U), Large Wyvern Tear (U), Agnaktor Scale (R), Firecell Stone (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Also known as fire-pike wyverns, Agnaktor use their tough beaks and great strength to burrow effortlessy through rock, and can even burrow into ceilings. Their hardened-lava armor becomes even harder when cooled forming an almost impenetrable armor.

Barioth

Family: Flying Wyvern

Habitat: Frozen Seaway, Arctic Ridge

Primary Element- Ice

Recommended Status Protection- Nulberry, Snowman (Soothing Roll), Earplugs

Weakness(es)- Fire, Lightning, Blast

Breakable Bits- Fangs, Wings, Tail (cut)

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Barioth Carapace (U), Barioth Pelt+ (U), Freezer Sac (R), Amber Fang+ (R)

Tail Carve- Barioth Tail (C), Barioth Spike (R), Barioth Carapace (R), Wyvern Gem (S)

Capture- Freezer Sac (U), Barioth Pelt+ (R), Amber Fang+ (R), Barioth Claw+ (R), Barioth Spike (x2) (R), Wyvern Gem (S)

Break Fangs- Amber Fang+ (C), Barioth Carapace (U), Freezer Sac (R)

Break Wings- Barioth Claw+ (C), Barioth Spike (R), Barioth Pelt+ (S)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (U), Large Wyvern Tear (U), Barioth Spike (R), Freezer Sac (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Wyverns that rule the eternally frozen Tundra. Barioth use their huge tusks and spiked scales to move freely atop the slippery ice; this ability makes them very difficult to keep up with.

Valstrax

Family: Elder Dragon*

Habitat: Ruined Pinnacle

Threat Level: ******

Introduced: Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate

Primary Element- Dragon

Recommended Status Protection- Nulberry, HG Earplugs, High Wind Pressure

Weakness(es)- Fire, Water, Lightning, Ice, Poison

Breakable Bits- Claws, Head, Chest**, Back, Wings, Tail (cut)
**Breaking the chest does not award items.

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Valstrax Scale+ (U), Valstrax Carapace (U), Valstrax Claw+ (R)

Tail Carve- Valstrax Tail (C), Valstrax Scale+ (R), Red Dragon Mindstone (S)

Break Claws- Valstrax Claw+ (C), Valstrax Carapace (R), Valstrax Claw+ (x2) (S), Valstrax Scale+ (S)

Break Head- Valstrax Scale+ (C), Valstrax Carapace (U), Red Dragon Mindstone (S)

Break Back- Valstrax Spineshell (C), Red Dragon Mindstone (S)

Break Wings- Valstrax Lancewing (C), Valstrax Lancewing (x2) (R), Valstrax Claw+ (R)

Shiny Drop- Burned Husk (U), Valstrax Scale+ (U), Dragon Treasure (R), Old Dragon Treasure (R)

*Elder Dragons are immune to all traps and cannot be captured.

Monsterpedia posted:

An elder dragon that soars at very high altitudes far from human habitation. Its flaming red wings are often the only visible sign of it, giving rise to its nickname, the Argent Comet. Those wings aren't just for flying, though, and are easily used to stab, rend and blow away its enemies. Occasionally, one can find the scorched shells it has left behind.

Deviljho

Family: Brute Wyvern

Habitat: pretty much anywhere

Primary Element- Dragon

Recommended Status Protection- Nulberry, Dung Bomb(ay), Tremor, HG Earplugs, Defense Down

Weakness(es)- Dragon, Lightning, Poison, Blast

Breakable Bits- Head (x2), Tail (cut)

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Deviljho Scale (U), Deviljho Hide (U), Deviljho Talon (R), Deviljho Tallfang (R), Deviljho Gem (S)

Tail Carve- Deviljho Tail (C), Deviljho Scale (U), Deviljho Gem (S)

Capture- Deviljho Scalp (U), Deviljho Hide (U), Deviljho Talon (R), Deviljho Tail (S), Deviljho Gem (S)

Break Head- Deviljho Scalp (U), Deviljho Tallfang (U), Deviljho Tallfang (x2) (U)

Shiny Drop- Large Wyvern Tear (U), Deviljho Talon (U), Wyvern Tear (U), Deviljho Gem (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

The dreaded, nomadic Deviljho have no specific territory of their own. Their muscles swell if provoked, revealing old wounds. They need to feed constantly due to high body heat and can hunt nearby animals to extinction.

Rajang

Family: Fanged Beast

Habitat: Desert, Dunes, Ancestral Steppe, Jurrassic Frontier, Artic Ridge, Volcano

Introduced: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Primary Element- Lightning

Recommended Status Protection- Nullberry, Tremor, Dung Bomb(ay), HG Earplugs, Daze

Weakness(es)- Ice, Poison, Sleep

Breakable Bits- Horns (x2)*, Tail**

* Both horns must be broken in order to obtain Rajang Horn.
** Tail can only be broken when Rajang is enraged. Breaking Rajang's tail prevents it from entering Rage Mode.

Loot:

High Rank
    Carve- Rajang Fang+ (U), Rajang Claw+ (R), Rajang Blackfur (R), Gold Rajang Pelt (S)

Capture*- Rajang Blackfur (U), Rajang Fang+ (U), Rajang Claw+ (R), Gold Rajang Pelt (R)

*Immune to Pitfall Traps unless enraged

Break Horns- Rajang Horn+ (100%)

Break Tail- Rajang Tail (C), Gold Rajang Pelt (S)

Shiny Drop- Large Beast Tear (C), Rajang Blackfur ([b]R[/b]), Gold Rajang Pelt ([b]S[/b])

Monsterpedia posted:

An ultra-aggressive creature that is rarely sighted and seldom survived. Survivors report it exhibits a strange attack. The Rajang is said to be a loner, and this isolated life has made it difficult to pin down its territorial leanings.

[b]Diablos[/b]

[b]Family[/b]: Flying Wyvern

[b]Habitat[/b]: Desert, Dunes

[b]Threat Level[/b]: [b]*****[/b]

[b]Introduced[/b]: Monster Hunter

[b]Last Seen[/b]: Monster Hunter World

[b]Primary Element[/b]- none

[b]Recommended Status Protection[/b]- HG Earplugs, High Wind Pressure, Sonic Bomb

[b]Weakness(es)[/b]- Ice, Poison, Sleep, Blast, KO

[b]Breakable Bits[/b]- Horns (x2)*, Back, Tail (cut)

*Each horn can be broken individually

[b]Loot:[/b]

High Rank
    Carve- Diablos Carapace ([b]C[/b]), Diablos Fang ([b]U[/b]), Diablos Ridge+ ([b]S[/b])

Tail Carve- Diablos Tailcase ([b]C[/b]), Diablos Carapace ([b]U[/b]), Blos Medulla ([b]S[/b]), Wyvern Gem ([b]S[/b])

Capture- Diablos Fang (x2) ([b]U[/b]), Diablos Carapace ([b]U[/b]), Diablos Tailcase ([b]R[/b]), Diablos Ridge+ ([b]R[/b]), Blos Medulla ([b]S[/b]), Wyvern Gem ([b]S[/b])

Break Horns- Twisted Horn ([b]C[/b]), Majestic Horn ([b]R[/b])

Break Back- Diablos Ridge+ ([b]C[/b]), Diablos Carapace ([b]U[/b])

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear ([b]U[/b]), Large Wyvern Tear ([b]U[/b]), Diablos Ridge+ ([b]R[/b])

Monsterpedia posted:

A desert wyvern that takes its name from the giant horns that crown its head. Like Monoblos, the Diablos charges its prey or strikes from underground, moving more quickly once it is angered. Their sensitive ears make them susceptible to Sonic Bombs.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 2, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

post moved for formatting

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 22, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey, wait a second. This can't be an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv01e6D5vxs

NEW MONSTER! BRAND NEW MONSTER!

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Silver Falcon posted:

NEW MONSTER! BRAND NEW MONSTER!

Oh no! You destroyed the friend to all children in the world!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j51XdsXGjFQ

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey, look, it's an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_29nKm_yXtw

Another new monster! Much the same as the other new monster...

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I'd actually put Akantor and Ukanlos in the Fanged Wyvern Class since Fanged Wyverns are quadrupeds with wingless forelimbs that are larger than their hindlimbs whereas Brute Wyverns are large theropods. Akantor's walking animation is even similar to that of a Great Jagras when its stomach isn't bloated.

Historically they actually were classified as an Elder Dragon at one time, albeit temporarily, after they were discovered. Rajang was also thought to be an Elder prior to be classified as a Fanged Beast because it's strong enough to take on Elders and even preys on the Elder Dragon Kirin.

The thing to keep in mind regarding Elder Dragons as a class is that they are creatures that defy typical classification and sit outside of the standard ecosystem, regardless of any superficial resemblance to a dragon.

Gore Magala, Rajang, Deviljho, Akantor and Ukanlos are all categorized as Dragon-Level Monsters; Gore due to being the juvenile stage of Shagaru while the others are due to their strength.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 4, 2020

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Not going to lie, when scrolling past this one I thought it said "Greta Thunberg" instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey there! Who asked for an update?:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL7iL-OQ8tU

This one is in fact an Elder Dragon. Also we're not done. We have one(?) more Urgent quest after this. Look forward to that one. It'll be a doozy...

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Amatsu is an interesting beast to learn about. He first appeared in Portable 3rd, and his first appearance in the west was in Generations. His name is actually Amatsumagatsuchi, but for the localization, they just went with Amatsu.

His themes are definitely fitting to his fight. When you first start fighting him, the first phase theme called "The Robe Dancing in the Gale", where he is calmer, and basically flies around the battlefield. Once you do enough damage to him, he transitions into his 2nd phase, which is titled "The Burning Life From Inside the Storm", and if you're paying attention to the music, you will know exactly when he transitions, as the music quite literally SWELLS to show he is now fighting for real.

He starts spamming tornados, with quick wind ups, and flying into the air to fire literally liquid hydrogen that explodes on impact. It's breath attack is actually a devastating mixture of wind and water, which causes water to rapidly release out of wherever it hits.

He is also gigantic, coming in at 102 feet long. He is so powerful, that he returns to the same mountain range every year at the same time, and forces the Zinogre leaving there out. He uses his jade organ called the "Storm Vesicle" to control the storms with such pinpoint control, that the moment he dies or leaves the area, it disappates in seconds.

He is in a category of Elder Dragons called "Forbidden Dragons" or "Dangerous First Class Monsters". This category includes any Dragon that has the power to destroy all life in the world. He's also vastly territorial, as mentioned with the Zinogre. When he's first introduced in 3rd, he's shot an airship out of the sky.

There's more information to be posted, but it involves things we haven't seen yet in the LP, so I'll post more on those as we get there.

Phase 1 Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4rihxzg9qs

Phase 2 Music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBsjJfYT3Ac

Silegna fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 18, 2020

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Silegna posted:

Amatsu is an interesting beast to learn about. He first appeared in Portable 3rd, and his first appearance in the west was in Generations. His name is actually Amatsumagatsuchi, but for the localization, they just went with Amatsu.

To be fair while Generations marks Amatsu's first physical appearance in the west, it's name was actually localized for Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate as it was one of the monsters whose materials could be obtained by trading the Caravan's Wycoon.

quote:

He is in a category of Elder Dragons called "Forbidden Dragons" or "Dangerous First Class Monsters". This category includes any Dragon that has the power to destroy all life in the world.

I think you may have gotten your info mixed up as Amatsu is actually not a Forbidden Monster.

While Elder Dragons in general can be dangerous with many of them being more of a type of phenomenon than mere animals, Forbidden Monsters AKA Dangerous First-Class Monsters are a threat level above regular Elder Dragons and regarded as the stuff of nightmares in-universe though I won't go into too much detail on them for now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Hey look! It's an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaqEpAnMKsM

There is moderate amounts of :salt:. We have opinions on Alatreon.

This thing was ready yesterday, but YouTube was being a butt.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Aug 25, 2020

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

I apologize if you hear any phone noises in the backround, that's on my end.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The question mark icon is not exclusive to the Black Dragons but it is used for them prior to Alatreon getting its own unique Icon in Iceborne.

I feel like the reaction to Escaton Judgement you saw was mainly because people didn't know what they were doing as people got used to Iceborne Alatreon's mechanics, the fight has gotten more manageable. Frostfang's stuff definitely helps but it was possible to defeat Alatreon with Velkhana stuff even before Frostfang was added as I had after several attempts.

And funny thing but he actually does somewhat change color in Iceborne, his scales and wings glow orange in Fire mode and a whitish blue in Ice mode as shown in his trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwGO543HfjQ

Regarding Black Dragons in general, they are said to be monsters with an unnatural presence about them. These monsters are so feared that documentation of them has historically been destroyed, possibly by the Hunter's Guild, as the knowledge of their existence is considered something man is better off without. The Guild itself is also rather spooked by them, believing that these monsters can bring the world to destruction if they wanted to.

In fact the only record of these Dangerous First-Class Monsters are old legends and children's songs. Alatreon is said to dislike the presence of other living creatures and would prefer to live its life in isolation, to the point some individuals seek refuge at the bottom of the ocean.

Another Black Dragon from 3U known as the Dire Miralis is such boiling high temperatures that it killed all life at once and stained the sea blood red and has even sunken multiple islands creating what is known as the Tainted Sea.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Sup, it's update time!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTYN9thOvSU

We're bidding farewell to the LP crew. From here on out, we're really showing the game what for! Plenty of new monsters still to meet, so stay tuned! Next time, That Monster.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
And you start with easily my favourite Elder Dragon, I adore Chameleos.

In addition to chameleons being one of my favorite lizards, Chameleos has a Wonderland-y feel to it with how it vanishes and reappears like the Cheshire Cat since real life chameleons don't actually turn invisible; that level of Camouflage is in fact a characteristic of the octopus.

Chameleos's theme also carries a mystical vibe to it as does the equipment hence why I wished it was in World.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Eyyyyyy it's your favorite time: update time!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aO_byHc6PXw

We meet another Elder Dragon who's in World. Next time... another Elder Dragon who's in World!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I've been slowly been working through the LP and finally hit episode bad hot takes itt (32). My first and only entry into the game is MHW+Iceborne (very late into the game) so it's been really fascinating watching another entry in the series with a much larger variety of monsters. Also been enjoying it because of the cats of course, I can def say I wish they had added it into World. That said, just an excuse to eventually play another MH game eventually.

Do have to say it's pretty awesome seeing so many things travel between games (hit sounds, sfx, monster patterns/attacks, hunter weapon moves, literally almost everything etc) so that it's really easy to follow along in another MH game without getting lost! Look forward to seeing all the monsters I haven't seen yet in the series that are in GU.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I don't really have much to say on though I do like how its metal shell looks in World which does tie into a Variant of it named Rusted Kushala, so named because the Kushala's trademark skin (which is made of an organic metal) has began to rust due to oxidation with the air and thus must shed infrequently as they grow.

These Rusted Kushala Daora are far more aggressive than the species is normally due to them searching for a safe, secluded area to shed their skin since Kushala Daora's skin becomes extremely vulnerable after shedding, making it quite weaker and more susceptible to attacks.

SaffronKit posted:

My first and only entry into the game is MHW+Iceborne (very late into the game) so it's been really fascinating watching another entry in the series with a much larger variety of monsters. Also been enjoying it because of the cats of course, I can def say I wish they had added it into World.

Speaking of stuff that I wished had been added into World, I mentioned before that Chameleos' equipment has a mystical vibe and Genie Cat is a prime example of this though it's not the only example.

First up we have weapons modeled after genie lamps such as the Light Bowgun which can even get an optional nozzle to make it even more lamp-like and is named Blessed Lamp, Cursed Lamp and finally Genie's Lamp:

Then you've got the Hunting Horn though strangely it is named Blessed Ocarina, Cursed Ocarina and Genie's Ocarina (perhaps to avoid confusion with the LBG) while the Horn is Monster Hunter Frontier G was based on a shamisen:

Looking to non-lamps, we have the Bow and the Insect Glaive which are instead magic staffs with the Bow even having a grimoire as its quiver and the first stage being named Genie's Grimoire which while the first stage Glaive being named Caster's Rod:

How about armor that makes you look like a wizard/witch? Well Chameleos has you covered as well, say hello to the Mizuha armor:

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 8, 2020

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Chimera-gui posted:

Kushala Dorka and cool weapons/armor talk

Kushala Dorka is my least liked monster AND elder dragon in World. Just tornados everywhere and nothing actually fun to fight about it (constantly flying and WIND SHIELD :argh: ), it's only redeeming feature being it looks kinda cool with the metallic armor skin and being reminiscent of Silver dragons from 3ed D&D (my fave dragon).

I look forward to the next entry in the series for more options in armor/weapons and monster variety.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Heyyyyy here comes an update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z58aN-EMF30

We found it, folks, the one monster Silver likes better in World!

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
In my gushing about Chameleos and its stuff, I had neglected to mention that Kushala is a Japan exclusive Monstie alongside Teo. Fittingly, Kushala has the ability to Fly while Teo is able to Lava Walk and Roar:

Speaking of whom, let's talk about our exploding Lunar Red Dragon friend shall we? First off is that like Rathalos, Teostra are the males of his species while the females are known as Lunastra:

While the pair debuted together in Monster Hunter 2 in Japan and Monster Hunter Freedom 2 internationally, Luna hadn't been seen since Freedom Unite prior to making her grand return in World which revealed that she's an explosion loving pyromaniac like her mate: Even having a bonding attack that combines her heat wave with Teostra's supernova.

The main difference is that Teo was given the ability to inflict Blastblight from the fourth generation onwards while Luna lays down blue fire that slowly damages whoever stands in it as well as slowly drains the health of anyone near them who doesn't have protection against the heat such as cool drinks, even in areas that don't normally require such protection. What's more when a fire attack comes in contact with the blue flames, it will deal damage and create more strong wind.

Lunastra's most infamous attack however is creating a massive heat wave that will quickly drain the health of anyone in it's range and creates both blue fire nearly everywhere within it's range and wind pressure to make it difficult for any hunter caught within it to escape.

Also Silver mentioned in passing that Teo's armor is good, the reason being it has the bonus skill Master's Touch which prevents your weapon from losing sharpness during critical hits while individual pieces can give you Weakness Exploit, Blast Attack, Latent Power with the Master Rank adding Heat Guard and Critical Eye to the mix making it no joke for a general damage build.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I love that while I have no experience with what Deviants are or having any experience with them, I can instantly tell what monster Silver's main prowler's weapon is from. :allears: Certainly my favorite thing about MH is the consistency within the world the devs have kept from title from title.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Update incoming!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIH_B3cCaFw

Today is an extra special Special Episode! We cover DEVIANTS!

Yes, Deviants, that thing we've been kind of obliquely mentioning here and there. Well finally we get to talk about them!

SaffronKit posted:

I love that while I have no experience with what Deviants are or having any experience with them, I can instantly tell what monster Silver's main prowler's weapon is from. :allears: Certainly my favorite thing about MH is the consistency within the world the devs have kept from title from title.

If you guessed her weapon is from Bloodbath Diablos, you're correct!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Silver Falcon posted:

If you guessed her weapon is from Bloodbath Diablos, you're correct!

More the Diablos part and less the bloodbath part. Just being able to go "Yup, that's a Diablos weapon of some kind" really makes my day.