Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

sethimothy posted:

If you'd like us to create cats by choosing their stats, as opposed to giving them to you via streetpass or whatever, could you please post the template you'd prefer us to use? Thank you.

Silver's gonna put up the giant template for cat creation tomorrow, just so the thread doesn't get too overloaded with info. Prowler creation is surprisingly robust, so hopefully it won't disappoint!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Before the next video goes up, let me be perfectly clear: my concrete knowledge of Monster Hunter dates back only to MH Tri, and I can promise no more than shaky guesses for anything earlier than that.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Quick correction: I am stupid and said that attacking a sleeping monster does 4x damage. Silver was right when she said it does triple damage. Basically you should ignore me half the time I open my dumb mouth.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Important thread content: an update is coming soon! I even maybe got some of my facts straight for the commentary for once! Probably!

:ssh: I just wanted to keep Silver from having to triple post

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Glazius posted:

So do Hunters get anything like the wide variety of Palico skills in this, or are they just limited to throwing their inventory at the monsters/down their gullets?

They don't necessarily get any skills that are directly dropped into their item selector to be used with the Y button, no. Closest you can get to that is armor skills, to augment what you can do with your weapon, or alter your stamina consumption, or your dodge distance/number of i-frames, or...

Armor skills can more or less alter just about any aspect of a Hunter, which is really quite powerful when done right. Palico skills provide the variety you lose out on from no longer being able to choose a moveset, and the passive Palico skills are much more restricted than armor skills, which says a lot.

EDIT: Hey, remember how I usually end up being wrong about, oh, just about everything? Guess what happened again! So, while they don't get special skills dropped into the Y button item pool, they do get special Hunter skills usually accessible via the touchpad, called Hunter Arts. I completely forgot about them because my head is completely in MonHun World mode right now, and Hunter Arts are exclusive to Generations and the Japan-only XX. They even have a resource that gets built up over the course of a hunt so you can't just spam them, much like a Prowler's skills. They were introduced alongside the hunting styles, too. There are quite a few skills directly tied to which weapon you choose, so, for example, the gunlance has a move called Blast Dash where you point the weapon behind you and fire, using the explosion to propel yourself forwards. That'd be a little difficult to do with, say, a greatsword. So while there are quite a number of Hunter Arts, you're only able to choose from 4 to 5 at a time because they're mostly dependent upon your weapon choice. Prowlers don't have any sort of restriction, and thus get to mix and match all of their skills at will.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2018

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Glazius posted:

Who's going to name the pets? Deadweight! And he's not going to name them after food. ...well, he is, but he's going to name them after food that works as mixers. Say hi to Banana the Moofy and Lime, Coconut, and Plum the Poogies.

I like this idea, but I don't think Deadweight has any restraint. I bet he'd just go right in on the booze names. I'd make suggestions here, but I'm not entirely sure that'd be fair, what with me being one of the co-commentators and all :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

What really helps this along is what I feel to be their general design philosophy. It's absolutely wonderful; see, everything has to have a certain element of realism to it. I mean, sure, none of it is actually realistic. You're punching dinosaurs half the time. But, given what they're going for in terms of it being a video game in general, and that the rest of it has almost a sort of prehistory, tribal kinda vibe, it totally works out. The aspect of realism I'm seeing is taking hypothetical evolutionary extremes and applying them to the monsters they design. After all, there are more than a handful of monsters straight up based off of real world animals. We've got a handful of obvious examples, like Gammoth being a woolly mammoth, or Arzuros being a bear, or the various raptor type monsters being, well, raptors. Once they've got a few monsterfied versions of real animals, I imagine they then came up with simple environments they would likely inhabit.

Now here comes what I consider to be the fun part: they take these environments they've built, then consider what sort of evolutionary extremes a hypothetical animal may take to survive in that environment. They came up with the Dunes area, so what could survive in the desert? How about a sand fish that can mimic a sand dune, to better ambush prey that it could swallow whole? What about a crab that makes its home in the small oasis that formed in the shade of a cliff overhang? I mean, I could come up with much cooler, more specialized examples if I brought up World, but I annoy Silver enough with that in the recordings :v:

I dunno, I really love this aspect of the game, and I have a difficult time putting it to words. If I had to sum up this insane rambling, I guess I'd say they're trying to inject a modicum of realism into this otherwise fantastical setting, and using that as a core design aesthetic really futureproofs the series so long as they stick to that plan in the future. They definitely did, by the way.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

It's nice to be able to make archdemon mode your default state of being for a good chunk of time

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

This is what set me off in the beginning of the video. Earlier I had to fight krystal because I didn't want to leave a spirit behind in the adventure mode of Smash Ultimate. Of course, they used the gross, skeevy version of krystal so I had to immediately dismiss that trash as fast as I could. Then I gloated at Silver because she inexplicably likes krystal and I'm a bad friend :v:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Oh, right. I think I mentioned something about disco Brachydios music, maybe? Should probably drop a link for that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SajvIYjPqMw

Just a heads up: the related videos/songs may contain monster themes for monsters we haven't seen yet, you've been warned. That said, I find some of the disco versions nigh unrecognizable, so you should be fine to check those out if you're so inclined.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Silegna posted:

2. blangonga is stupid

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

High rank sneakily updates the materials on old maps, too. They give you visual aids to signify the idea that you want to start collecting stuff again, like differently colored mining rocks. A zone that has blue rocks might start having red rocks as well, for example. I'm a little fuzzy on the others, though. Red rocks might be the only hint.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

That'd be a compelling argument if we didn't have other returning monsters like Deviljho or Uragaan. Also it's definitely not Lagiacrus because we're still going through great lengths to avoid spoiling the name of my favorite monster. Patience, my dude.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I really don't want to belabor the point, but you're way off base. Just wait and see.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Regarding the nonsense I spouted about halitosis this video: turns out I was half remembering a segment from an episode of Adam Ruins Everything! That said, I can't say for sure whether the stuff Adam Conover puts out there is accurate or not. The show does have little citations pop up in the corner, but I haven't personally looked into said citations.

Maybe I should learn to think before I speak.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Dude. Unclench. I'm allowed to be annoyed by the omission of my favorite monster.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

ChaseSP posted:

Zamtrios being in means we coulda gotten a large boys event featuring a max size Great Jagras, Dodogama and zamtrios.

Words cannot express the grief that I feel at knowing this won't happen

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Dude you gotta calm down on the attempts at correction and general condescension. Cut the post-game details out of your post, while you're at it. Silver doesn't know all the post-game stuff about Iceborne yet.

I mean if you're gonna try to correct us, make sure you're, you know, correct. The first sentence, where you listed all those monsters that you think are split between two skeletons? They're all brute wyverns. The same skeleton. Relax.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Classic projection, huh? I mean, that does make sense in the face of how I'm constantly wishing for more things to be put in Iceborne. I keep asking for even more reasons to make me play the game, yet somehow that means I hate it.

Speaking of which, how many of us here have already gotten their meat hammers? Go mess around with the new appreciation festival, you guys, it's real good!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Casnorf posted:

Also, for liquidypoo's benefit: gore magala

gore magala

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Wanna give me a timestamp to when we say we allegedly expect mid tier monsters? Don't put words in our mouths.

You really need to stop getting bent out of shape about us talking up the stuff we want to see. Everybody enjoys games differently, and you seem unable to just simply accept that!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

:toot: