Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

liquidypoo posted:

I dunno, I really love this aspect of the game, and I have a difficult time putting it to words. If I had to sum up this insane rambling, I guess I'd say they're trying to inject a modicum of realism into this otherwise fantastical setting, and using that as a core design aesthetic really futureproofs the series so long as they stick to that plan in the future. They definitely did, by the way.
"Grounding" is the word you're struggling for there. What gives Monster Hunter's designs such verisimilitude is that every design is grounded in a sort of ecological niche -- the exact design philosophy you outline in your post. That grounding allows the player to relate to the design on an instinctive level, that is, even though the abilities and scale of the monsters are exaggerated or outright fantastical, when you see one you can immediately guess at what its capabilities are because that makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I wanna see Zamtrios in World. I'd love to see Zamtrios in world. Every game would be better with Zamtrios in it.

Stop making games unfun, and put more Zamtrios everywhere.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I bet you're super fun to hang around with.
"Well, actually...we never could have gotten parking at that sportsball game anyway, and beer kills brain cells so it's no real loss."

You know what I think? Zamtrios makes everything better. Witness:

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Isn't it spelled "Uragaan"?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Chimera-gui posted:

I was typing on something that isn't really suited to it when I initially posted.
Maybe don't?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Silver Falcon posted:

My dude, where do you get the idea that we're bashing Iceborne, or World in general? Cuz uh... we're very much not? Criticize, sure. Expect more things from it, sure. Bash? Definitely not.
Some people who've based their identity on a given opinion think any criticism, legit or otherwise, is a personal attack and must be defended. It's a little, I dunno, well. At that point it's pointless to provide your bonafides, because the fact that you're running an LP isn't nearly enough? Eh, I dunno. I mean, I always thought it was pretty easy to read over a post before you mash that post button but hey, I ain't post much probably because I delete about ninety percent of'em at that there last step.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

ambient oatmeal posted:

iceborne is good and liquidy likes it ur bad at paosting

emptyquoting

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

You know I wonder if our boy here just doesn't like World generally, since he seems to have no faith in the people who make it to make informed decisions about the directions they want to take. I mean early in World's development I was the same way, since I had maintained for at least a decade that Capcom genuinely had no idea *why* Monster Hunter was such a success. And of course here we are, with egg on my face from that provably wrong opinion, getting excited to play Iceborne with my bros any night we can actually get together and laughing and carrying on, well. They get it. I'm sure Monster Hunter is in good hands and I can't wait to see how they implement Zamtrios.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

My favorite part is my dude making real broad assumptions about the nature of the other participants in the conversation.

Well, insofar as there is a conversation and everyone else is being, uh, lectured to. Oh, ding dang it, I think I just had a moment of lucidity, and I don't like it at all!

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I think it's funny y'done gave away your m.o. yo. Regurgitating wikis ain't thinking for yourself, nor is it enjoying anything on your own terms. If you are so insecure as to be incapable of having opinions of your own why bother sharing anything at all? Where are you in this discussion? Is there no there there?

Also, for liquidypoo's benefit: gore magala

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

liquidypoo posted:

gore magala

gore magala

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nnnnnnope!

Wait, no, the other one. Yes. Yes, I can absolutely make my own LP. With blackjack! And well-compensated companions of all stripes!

Dealer shows 18.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

It's almost like you think ultracompetitive endgame tryhards are the only people who play. Hm. And the amount of effort a task might take doesn't really have much bearing on whether it gets done in this context, because that work isn't done in a vacuum. You know what they say, though... Context is for kings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Chimera-gui posted:

Ironic that you can't understand the context that gaming companies like Capcom are businesses and thus can only devote so many resources to DLC and Iceborne DLC adds more than just monsters.

This remark would carry more weight of you and Casnorf did not literally just badmouth competitive players and those who want tough monsters.

If Capcom is a business and thus can only devote so many resources to Iceborne DLC, especially given that MHW is more than two years old at this point and the new generation of consoles is looming on an ever closing horizon...Has it occurred to you that in this context, MHW is not the only product which might use the assets generated by work on other, more unique fan-favorite monsters? Kings, indeed.

There you go putting words in people's mouths. I called them ultracompetitive tryhards, which I can see might be read as derogatory in its hyperbole...if it weren't a literally accurate assessment. Would it offend your delicate sensibilities less if I referred to that particular class of players as the leading asymptote of the skill ceiling curve? I mean, it's the same exact group, but if you're looking for a fight, you'll make any excuse you can to find one.

Look, it's kind of neon-sign obvious that not only are you not a game developer, but you have a tendency to speak for people instead of letting them speak for themselves. This gets tiresome, and is honestly annoying my friend Silver, so I'm gonna call you out, right here, by giving you the opportunity to do the thing you think you've got a handle on. Let us settle this like the pasty, sun-fearing nerds we clearly are!

I, casnorf, challenge chimera-gui to a game jam duel.

The stakes: banishment from this thread! Should I lose, I will no longer post in this thread, upon pain of toxx. I challenge player two to endure similar stakes. (I think we can get this one enforced, haha.)

The structure should be as follows: we each shall have a certain allotted amount of time to create from scratch a playable game on the subject of a (relatively) impartial judge's choosing. I, as it turns out, can't really code, so I'd be making a card or board game of some stripe, but I need not insist on that particular limitation for my extant opponent. I am quite certain we can find or convene a panel of friends to judge the merits and an eventual victor.

Details can be worked out as necessary, but as of this moment, the gauntlet has been thrown.