Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

"Will it Cat?" Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate: Prowler Mode

Click the cat for full playlist

I also post on Twitter when I update, so you can also follow me there! I mostly post random stupid poo poo from whatever game I'm playing at the time.

Overview

Monster Hunter is an action RPG series by Capcom. It features ridiculous/huge weapons that you use to smash giant world-destroying monsters in the face, carve up their skin, and wear their skin as a hat so you can beat up even bigger and meaner world-destroying monsters. The main thing setting it apart from other hack-and-slash type games is that MonHun makes you commit to everything. There is no dodge cancelling. There are effectively no i-frames. Once you make an attack, you gotta finish that poo poo, son. Even something so simple as drinking a healing potion requires you to put away your weapon (in most cases), press a couple buttons, stop, quaff it down, and do an "Oh yeah!" flex animation. None of which can be skipped, and all of which can be interrupted by aforementioned world-destroying monster knocking you on your rear end.

It's great fun!

The Actual Game I'm Playing

Monster Hunter Generations is a side game of the 4th installment in the series. It features several new mechanical additions, most of which are not relevant to the scope of this LP.

One such addition, which is a series' first, is very relevant to this LP. In most Monster Hunter games, you can hunt with AI controlled companions. Usually, they're Felynes- intelligent cats that sprinkle their speech liberally with cat puns. In 4U and Generations, your Felyne hunting companions are called Palicoes, and you can customize them and forge gear for them just like your human Hunter.

In Generations, you can not only hunt with cats. You can be the cat.

See this cute little guy right here? You can kill monsters with him!

Generations introduced Prowler Mode, where you take control of your very own Meownster Hunter. There are even Prowler-specific quests with objectives tailored to the Prowler's strengths and abilities. But the game does not restrict Prowler use in any way. You wanna be the cat? You can be the cat all you dang want.

In this LP, I will be doing the single player campaign of Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate as a Prowler. I may rope in some friends to help meowt in multiplayer quests, but frankly those losers don't cat nearly as well as I do. :smug:

And then it went Ultimate

Generations Ultimate is the "G-rank" expansion of Generations. Usually, when Monster Hunter games are released in not-Japan, Capcom skips straight to the G-rank, or Ultimate, version. In Generation's case, they didn't do that. Because they said Generations wouldn't get a G-rank version. They lied. Monster Hunter XX was released in March 2017... with not a whisper about localization. And there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth. In fact, with the announcement, and subsequent release, of Monster Hunter World, most fans of the series gave up on ever seeing XX localized.

Which is a shame, because XX added a bunch of really nifty stuff!

Then out of the blue, Capcom announced XX would indeed come to the west, in the form of Generations Ultimate! This announcement happened when this LP was a good chunk of the way through the main game. So the LP was put on hold for a bit to await Ultimate. Part 25 and onward take place in GenU, moving from the 3DS to the Switch.

More about Prowlers

Let's face it, Prowler mode is a gimmick. It's a good gimmick, but it's clear the game doesn't take Prowlers very seriously at all. Prowler quests won't even make you fight a proper, large monster until you're Rank 4, and you don't have to actually kill one until Rank 6. Rank 6 is endgame poo poo. For comparison, regular human Hunter quests dump you right into killing large monsters almost from the word go. That said, there are reasons to use Prowlers, but even I won't deny they have drawbacks.

Pros
  • Don't need items. Prowlers don't need to carry around pickaxes, bug nets, potions, traps, or any of that silly human stuff. This frees up a lot of space in your inventory. Because of this, regardless of how good/bad you are at Prowler mode, Prowlers are purrfect for gathering quests.

• They can gather/mine/carve faster than humans can, making them even better at such quests.

• They don't use stamina. Prowlers can run forever and don't need puny things like well-done steak to keep them going.

• Palico armor is very cheap to make. Monster Hunter is notorious for requiring you to farm for rare drops from monsters to craft your armor and weapons (and then not giving you what you want). Cat armor is crafted from generic "scraps," made from any monster part. So that pile of lizard scales you got while farming for its rare drop will do you just fine!

• No armor skills. Hate the fact that your fashionable armor has lousy skills? Worry not! Prowlers don't do any of that poo poo. Fashion Hunt all you dang want. The only thing you have to worry about is your defense, and even then... not really.

• Prowlers excel at support. They can learn skills that heal and buff their allies, cure statuses, and even give their companions infinite stamina for a short period! That's not to say they can't kick rear end on their own, but it takes some set up... More on that later.

• Cats can automatically see the location of any large monster(s) on the map. For that reason alone, it's worth it to hunt with at least one Prowler. They can save you a lot of time tracking down your quarry! Certain Palico builds can also tell you when a monster is weak enough to capture! (Note: this functionality is only available to human controlled Prowlers in GenU.)

• Lastly, and most significantly, they have 9-lives. Oh pshaw, you say, of course they do. They're cats! No, no. That's not what I mean. When mere humans drop to 0 HP during a quest, they are "carted," dragged back to base camp by a helpful band of Felynes before the monster can finish them off. If you cart three times, it's game over, quest failed. (This also holds for multiplayer quests.) Prowlers work a bit differently. When they reach 0 HP, they eat a stashed acorn for a partial HP refill. They can do this twice before being carted for real. So, they quite literally have 9 lives. Oh, and your acorns are refilled if you sleep in the bed at base camp. This means, Prowlers are only really constrained by time on quests, if you hoof it (paw it?) back to base camp after losing your acorns.

• They're cute, and fun to play as!

Cons
  • You're a dang cat, what do you expect? If normal human Hunters are outmatched and outgunned by the vast majority of monsters, Prowlers are doubly so. They aren't as durable as their human counterparts and they don't hit as hard. Hunts will take you longer than average. You would think Prowlers would be relegated to suppawt-bot role and... well you might be right. But we'll see, won't we!

• You're tiny. Prowlers have a tough time targeting specific monster bits to break/hack off/etc. But since you don't strictly need those parts to craft cat equipment, it's less of a big deal than you would think.

• Less variety. Prowler Mode essentially counts as a separate weapon. So, they only have one moveset while human Hunters can have over a dozen, based on what weapon they have equipped. Prowler weapons can have slightly different properties, such as being blunt or sharp, or being better at melee or ranged attacks, but it's nothing compared to the variety proper Hunters get. Note that this problem is mitigated somewhat in GenU.

• No armor skills. I know I also listed that in the pros, but it also is a drawback. Prowlers can have some of the same skills Hunters can get on their armor, but they're innate- determined when you recruit a Palico. This means Prowlers, and Palicoes in general, are heavily dependent on the blessings of the RNG. It can take ages to get the cat you want. I will go into Palico builds in more detail later. Just keep it in mind for now.

• They can't use items. See above, but it can also work against them. Your ability to heal/buff/set traps/etc. is determined by your innate skills. Didn't roll a cat that can set traps? Too bad! Try again.

To be honest, it can get preeeeeetty tedious trying for an ideal Palico/Prowler build. Fortunately you don't need to be ~*Optimal*~ for most things. I did the entire single player campaign, that's every single quest, and went all the way to the end of G-Rank in multiplayer as a cat, and it was fine. The game doesn't really punish you for being a cat... up to a point. Yeah, you start getting into late G-Rank or super ultra post-game challenge stuff, you might want to try putting on your big girl pants and crafting yourself some proper armor and weapons. Unless you're me, that is.

And anyway, being a Prowler is just plain fun!

Ultimate Cats?!

Generations Ultimate gives Prowlers a poo poo ton of new toys to play with! The biggest change is that some of the "Styles" that humans get to play with in Generations get baked into Prowler movesets. We will go over this more in-depth in the videos and the "Prowlers and Mew" write-ups.

Before we dive in, Thread Rules

1) Don't spoil poo poo! Not everybody watching this has played Monster Hunter (Probably?), so don't spoil monsters we haven't seen yet. If you just can't help gushing about your favorite monster, at least spoiler tag that poo poo.

2) Don't be a dick. This is a chill LP for chill people.

Useful Resources

There's a wealth of MonHun information to be had out there! Here are some helpful links:

Kiranico's MHGen Database has pretty much anything you would ever need to know
a Google Doc Spreadsheet of Quest unlocks and other useful info
another Google Doc Spreadsheet featuring monster info, cat skills and moves, and more
Ye olde Monster Hunter Wiki
MHGU DB an app for Android havers who want MonHun info on the go
There's also Ping's Dex, which is a comprehensive desktop app. Unfortunately the official download currently returns a 404 error. Here is their Facebook page, which may or may not get updated... or go (ahem) here for a rehost in the meantime

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Episode List

Episode 1 Character creation and Our First Quest.

Episode 2 Wherein some cats are recruited and we finish the tutorial.

Episode 3 We fight our first large monster and see what the game really thinks of Prowlers.

Episode 4 Time to check out the other three towns.

Episode 5 What's the big deal with those Big Boomerangs, anyway?

Episode 6 This is what happens when a hunt goes... poorly.

Special Episode 1: Let's Cat Together! The first multiplayer video!

Episode 7 Accidentally unlocking the Urgent for Rank 3

Episode 8 Croaking the Toad

Special Episode 2: Leeloo Nyallas Multicat Here be the second multiplayer video!

Episode 9 Fishing and Fashion

Episode 10 POOGIES!

Episode11 Grand Fashion Plans, thwarted!

Episode 12 The Clusterfuck

Episode 13 Squirt the Big drat Hero

Episode 14 Totally Safe Gathering Quest

Episode 15 Our way to Rank 4 is clear!

Episode 16 Clearing out a few things. Next time, the Urgent for Rank 4!

Episode 17 The real Monster Hunter starts here!

Special Episode 3: Flavor Finds a Way Third installment of multiplayer shenanigans

Episode 18 Questing in Rank 4

Episode 19 Cleaning up Village Quests in Rank 4

Episode 20 Defense Prowler demo

Episode 21 Bombing Cat Demo and our first Capture quest

Episode 22 Featuring special guest Cichlidae

Episode 23 Amaterasu and the Bombing Cat Squad

Episoe 24 Cleaning out more village quests

Special Episode 4: I Ran out of Angry The Fourth multiplayer shenanigans

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 1

Special Episode 5: Qualification in Animal Multiplayer Shenanigans the Fifth

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 2

Monster Hunter World Stream

"Will it Cat?" Ultimate Begins Here

Special Episode 6: Droppin' Bombs on Yo' Moms The first ULTIMATE multiplayer shenanigans!

Episode 25 The first proper ULTIMATE update. We finally rank up to 5*

Episode 26 Fighting and Beast cat demo

Episode 27 The two flavors of Adept

Episode 28 The last of the key quests in Rank 5

Episode 29 Clearing out a few things before we take on the Urgent for the next rank

Episode 30 That's the last of those pesky requests. Next time, Glavenus!

Episode 31 Ranking up to 6*!

Episode 32 New friend! (Who none of us like)

Episode33 Edgelord dragons and Smash chat

Episode 34 A very loud boy

Episode 35 Punch-a-saurus

Episode 36 Sir Reggie Fils-Amie and Shagaru Miyamoto

Episode 37 Onwards to High Rank!

Episode 38 New friends!

Episode 39 Muddy Buddy

Episode 40 Wetland chat and spider facts

Episode 41 Wherein Liquidy is right about things

Episode 42 Fox McCloud channels his inner redneck

Episode 43 New friends!

Episode 44 Another new friend who is not as annoying as Thardus

Episode45 Beast Cat vs. Niblesnarf

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 3

Episode 46 HIPCHECKS

Episode 47 Not as many hipchecks

Episode 48 Liquidypoo's favorite monster!

Episode49 Last Key Quest before next rank!

Episode 50 Onwards to Rank 9!

Episode 51 Prowler Quests, they are still terrible

Episode 52 Another new friend!

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 4

Episode 53 BEEP BOOP

Episode 54 Yarr, Spoopyween!

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News Part 5

Special Episode 7: Nyakarkos

Episode 55 New friend and new main Prowlers

Episode 56 Cervantes' Revenge

Episode 57 drat portals!

Episode 58 No, we have not fought the SPOILER! yet!

Episode 59 He's the last member of The Fated Four (huh)!

Episode 60 Last hurrah before Valstrax!

Episode 61 Scratch one jet-fighter dragon!

Episode 62 Cat vs. Giant Angry Pickle

Episode 63 That Fucker

Episode 64 You sure we didn't fight this guy already?

Episode 65 The last of the non-Elder Dragon Key Quests

Episode 66 Decision time!

Special Episode: Breaking Felyne News part 6

Special Episode 8: G-rank cats! Special stream of the LP crew reaching G-rank, LIVE!

Episode 67 Will the real Nakarkos please stand up?

Episode 68 The King of Hellfire

Episode 69 The Frozen Titan

Episode 70 The Stormlord

Episode71 :salt:

Episode 72 No more Ms Nice Cat

Episode 73 Kush Ball

Episode 74 Toaster

Special Episode 9: DEVIANTS

Episode 75 The last of the single player monsters

Episode 76 Silver's Least Favorite Monster Only Worse

Special Episode 10: More Like Lao-Shan WRONG

Special Episode 11: Hellbutt

Special Episode 12: It Will Cat!

Special Episode 13: Instructions Unclear, hit with weapon

Special Episode 14: More like FART-alis

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Feb 15, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia

Meownsterpawdia Part 1

Meownsterpawdia Part 2

Meownsterpawdia Part 3

Meownsterpawdia Part 4

Meownsterpawdia Part 5

Meownsterpawdia Part 6

Meownsterpawdia Part 7

Meownsterpawdia Part 8

Meownsterpawdia Part 9

Meownsterpawdia Part 10

Meownsterpawdia Part 11

Meownsterpawdia: Meet the Deviants part 1

Meownserpawdia: Meet the Deviants part 2

Meownsterpawdia Part 12

Prowler Customization Guide

Prowlers and Mew- Your Purrimer on Prowlers

All About Support Biases

How to Scout the Purrfect Prowler

Palico Pals

Prowlers and Mew: Ultimeowt Edition- Your Ultimate Purrimer on Prowlers

Overview

Ultimate Prowlers

Ultimate Palicoes

Best in Cats- Purrfect Kit for your Kittens

Equipment Descriptions

Weapons, Weapons, and More Weapons!

Silly Hats Only

Fashionable Coats and Such

A silly drawing by your OP

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Mar 25, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

sethimothy posted:

How is the community for this game? Truth be told, I've never actually played a Monster Hunter game. Watched people play it, even as far back as the PSP days, but never taken the splurge myself. I see this game came out last year; is there still a solid amount of people playing?

For your LP, will you be meeting up with random players? With players you meet from this thread and elsewhere? An amalgamation?

If you'd like us to create cats by choosing their stats, as opposed to giving them to you via streetpass or whatever, could you please post the template you'd prefer us to use? Thank you.

The community is still very active! If you mosey over to the general MonHun thread in Games and/or their Discord channel, you will have no shortage of people to play with. You can also play with randos, and folks seem to have fine experience with that. I've never hunted with randos. I have a small group of friends I hunt with.

For the LP, I'll probably stick to my usual group and perhaps have some room for guests from the thread as well? The multiplayer bits will mostly be side content, so I can kind of do whatever with it.

AltaBrown posted:

I now regret trading my copy of Generations. Oh, the adventures we could have had!

And I know I'm jumping the gun, but we need an orange tabby to be one of our Prowlers. With a cream underbelly, and green eyes. Named Tucker.

Okay look, I want my cat to be a Prowler, okay?

Yeah like Liquidypoo said, I'll give a cat creation template for ya'll tomorrow, but designing/naming your cats after your pets- both past and present, is totally encouraged! Probably half my stable of Palicoes on my main file were named after my childhood pets. The rest were a random assortment of video game and cartoon characters. I had a pink, green, and blue trio I called the Prowlerpuff Girls.

Anyway, thanks for the words of encouragement, everyone! I've been looking forward to doing this LP for awhile.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

7c Nickel posted:

Ohh boy, Ive got a few kitties that you might find fun. How are you handling audience purrticipation? Do you want us to post advertisements for our cats in this thread? Also I would be down to Nyan it up if you need help with junk.

Cat customization guide will go up later today! Long and short is you can either fill out the template I'll provide or scout a cat in-game and take a screenshot.

Glazius posted:

I respect how they've pulled this one off. So, if you were playing a more normal game, what's the purpose of Prowler Mode? Does it level your catico pal up faster than just regular sidekicking? Or is it just, like, people asked if they could be a kitty long enough and now you can be the kitty?

If you're playing as a human, it still pays to use your Prowler on gathering quests, like the one I did in the first video. Cats can cram a lot more stuff in their pockets because they don't need to bring along pickaxes or bug nets and silly things like that. (If you're a human, you would need to bring a bug net to catch bugs, for example. As you saw, Dusty just brought one of his own.)

As far as I know, being a Prowler doesn't make your cats level up faster, though there are a few cat-specific buffs. There are no benefits to being a Prowler in normal play other than... being a cat.

I'm not sure why Capcom added Prowler mode. It seems to be a one-off thing. The only other game to have it is XX, which is sort of an expansion pack for Generations... and which has not been released outside Japan and shows no sign of being released. The next main entry in the series, Worlds, doesn't look like it'll have Prowler mode at all. :(

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 18, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Palico Customization

Before we dive into any more quests, I want to have some better Prowlers to work with than that beat up stray we picked up. Plus we'll need some extra paws eventually to work with the trader and... some other things. Basically it pays to have a lot of Palicoes on hand.

That's where you come in! I showed off the Palico custimzation in the first update. Here, I'll give a detailed breakdown on your options so that you can create your very own Palico for me to Scout and use on Hunts! I might even pick your Palico to use as my Prowler! Who knows! At the very least I'll try to bring along all viewer-created Palicoes on at least one hunt.

General note: on a Hunt I can bring along the lead Prowler, and up to two Palicoes.

Anyway, let's have a look at our options, shall we?

First up is Coat

These are the options you can pick for your Palico's coat.

First, Felyne. The default coat resembles a Siamese cat.

Melynx are the troublemakers of the Felyne world. Distinguished by their dark fur.

Next is Striped. Want your Palico to look like a miniature tiger? Pick this one!

Monotone is an option if you prefer a single, flat color.

Next we have the Two-tone coat, for your classic tuxedo cat. Fancy! Unlike the Melynxes, these have a lighter belly.

A popular coat, the Calico is also available.

Lastly, the loveable Tabby.

The next option is Eye Shape

This is the full list of options. I'll go through them.

First, the Normal, default eye shape. Pleasingly almond-shaped.

Next is Thin. With slitted pupils, this is what a normal cat's eye looks like, if you want a realistic Palico.

Closed eyes, if you want your Palico to look like Brock from the Pokémon cartoon.

This one is the Doe eye shape. Extra wide pupils for extra cuteness.

On the other side of the coin, we have the Sharp eye, for angry eyes Palicoes.

Lastly, you can pick the Scarred eye, for the Palico that has seen some poo poo.

Moving right along, we come to Ear Shape

Again, here are the options, and I will go through them all.

This is the Normal default ear shape.

The Closed ear shape can give your Palico a more timid, shy look.

Round ears are available if you want make your Palico look more like a big cat.

The Perky ear shape makes your Palico look like its ears are pricked. This ear shape looks the most like an actual cat.

Attentive ears are tilted back, for a more cautious look.

Next up, the world of Palico Tails

Once again, here are all the options.

This one is the Normal default tail.

Go with the Round tail if you want your Palico to look like a lynx or a bobcat.

The Long tail looks more like a real cat's tail.

Pick the Bushy tail if you prefer longhaired cats.

And finally, the Crooked tail, for a beat-up sort of look.

Now, this is super important! :siren:You are by no means limited to real cat colors!:siren:

In fact, you can choose from all the colors of the rainbow! There are some preset colors shown here, which you can choose from, or you can drag around in the color bar in the bottom right to find just the right color.

For example, here's a pink cat.

Eye Color is similarly unrestricted! And you can color each eye individually!

For instance, purple eyes!

You can also assign a Voice Type. I played them all in the video, but here's a general description of each:

Type 1 is the default cat voice. It sounds... normal cat-like?

Type 2 is higher pitched, but I've heard cats with higher pitched meows than this.

Type 3 is a deeper voice.

And finally, most importantly you can name your Palico!

For names, please keep it tasteful. OP reserves veto power.

Last thing, Palicoes can have different specialties. You may have noticed our initial Prowler, Dusty, specializes in Charisma. I'll go over all this in detail later, but if you have a preference for what you want your cat to do, here are your options:

Charisma: buffing allies.

Fighting: general asskicking.

Defense: tanking.

Support: setting traps.

Healing: HP and status recovery.

Bombing: blowing poo poo up.

Gathering: obtaining loot.

Beast: RIP AND TEAR

If you don't have a preference, you can just leave it up to my judgment.

To submit a custom cat, simply copy this and fill it out:

Coat (color):

Eyes (color):

Ears:

Tail:

Voice:

Name:

Speciality:

Note: For those of you playing along at home, you can simply scout the cat you want and take a screenshot of the particulars. However I think the only way to do that without homebrew or whatnot is through Miiverse and that's no longer an option. :( RIP Miiverse.

Happy catting!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 5, 2018

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am happy people are submitting cats based on their pets. :D Related to that:

AltaBrown posted:

I now regret trading my copy of Generations. Oh, the adventures we could have had!

And I know I'm jumping the gun, but we need an orange tabby to be one of our Prowlers. With a cream underbelly, and green eyes. Named Tucker.

Okay look, I want my cat to be a Prowler, okay?

Did you have a preference for what specialty you wanted your Tucker to be? If you don't, I can pick. The rest of the particulars I can suss out from your picture, but if you want to fill out the full template and make Palico Tucker perfect, go right ahead!

Anyway, I have the next bit of footage recorded and I've recruited Silegna's Korin, the healing cat. I may do some off-screen shenanigans to get a couple more of you guys' cats. Scouting for Palicoes can take a long time.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I am confused. You also want a black cat with green eyes named Nanashi?

Oh, and Episode 2 is uploading. It'll be up in a couple hours, if YouTube keeps going at this pace.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

OK, here we go! Episode 2, wherein I start recruiting some of you guys' cats and we knock out the remaining Rank 1 tutorial quests!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IHsvHqn2XM

Edit: Fixed a technical problem. Video should look much better now!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Oct 24, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Last Transmission posted:

Does the Prowler's carving knife really look like a fish?

You know, I never noticed if it was, so I had a look through the video.

The answer is... kinda? It kinda does. More research is needed!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Update 3 is a bit late because I elected to play Mario Odyssey yesterday instead of editing commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXzDDP6h7Xg

We get to fight our first proper large monster, and see what the game really thinks of Prowlers!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 1

Greetings, viewers! As promised, I have a brief write-up of the monsters we have faught so far. I will add to it as we go along.

Click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

For loot:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Larinoth

Family: Herbivore

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier

Threat Level: *

Introduced: Monster Hunter Generations

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Raw Meat (C), Larinoth Hide (U)
    Shiny- Ancient Berry (if attacked while eating) (100%), Water Lily Root (if attacked while drinking) (C), Water Lily Tuber (if attacked while drinking) (R).
For complete list of loot, click here

Monsterpedia posted:

These giant herbivores are peaceful towards hunters unless their young are threatened. Their long necks let them eat hard-to-reach leaves and nuts, which they may drop if attacked while feeding, and eat constantly to maintain their size. They also have a unique sound-producing organs.

Felyne

Family: Lynian

Habit: Anywhere the wind takes 'em

Introduced: Monster Hunter

Drops: YOU MONSTER

OK fine-

Low Rank-
    Shiny- First-Aid Med (C), Round Acorn (U), Pawprint Stamp (R), EZ Flash Bomb (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Bipedal creatures resembling cats, known for their light hair. Though usually docile, they will attack viciously if provoked. Naturally curious, some try to enter human society. They are fond of Felive and will follow its scent anywhere.

Kelbi

Habitat: Anywhere

Drops:

Low Rank-
    Carve- Kelbi Horn (C*), Warm Pelt (U), White Liver (R), Raw Meat (S)

*100% when KO'd

Monsterpedia posted:

Small herbivores known for their gentle demeanor as well as medicinal properties of their horns. Those wishing to harvest a horn should stun the Kelbi with blunt attacks and then sever it while the animal is still alive.

Altaroth

Family: Neopteron

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Altaroth Stomach* (C), Altaroth Jaw* (U), Monster Fluid* (U
    Shiny**
      Blue Butt- Ripened Mushroom (C), Monster Fluid (S)
      Orange Butt- Honey (C), Monster Fluid (S)
      Green Butt- Nulberry (C), Monster Fluid (S)
      Gold Butt- Fine Stomach (C), Luminous Stomach (R)
      Gray Butt- Insect Husk (C), Altaroth Stomach (U), Monster Fluid (R)

*Usually disintigrates when defeated. To get carves consistently, kill with poison damage.
    **Their abdomen changes color when they feed, depending on what they eat. Mushroom = blue, Honey = orange, Berry = green, Rare = gold, None = gray

Monsterpedia posted:

Insects that widely inhabit many areas. They absorb fruit, mushrooms, and honey, and then carry them back to their nest. Materials can thus be collected from their swollen abdomens, whose color is related to what they're carrying.

Bnahabra

Threat Level: **

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bnahabra Shell* (C), Bnahabra Wing* (C), Monster Fluid* (U)

*Usually disintigrates when defeated. To get carves consistently, kill with poison damage.

Monsterpedia posted:

Pervasive flying insects that attack invaders with paralyzing venom and lay eggs in carrion along with a fluid that hastens decomposition. It is best to kill them with poison so that their parts are left ripe for the carving.

Maccao

Family: Bird Wyvern

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Ancestral Steppe, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bird Wyvern Fang (C), Maccao Hide (U), Maccao Scale (R), Monster Bone S (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Colorful red and green bird wyverns that live in large packs, they can be found mostly in the Jurassic Frontier. Though they attack prey aggressively with their strong legs, they are known to flee once their leader is in danger.

Gargwa

Habitat: Jurrasssic Fronter, Misty Peaks, Ancestral Steppe

Introduced: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Raw Meat (C), Monster Bone S (R), Gargwa Feather (R)
    Shiny- Gargwa Guano (C), Herb (R), Insect Husk (S)
      When startled- Gargwa Egg (C), Gold Gargwa Egg (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Flightless bird wyverns with vestigial wings, known to inhabit the Jurassic Frontier. Quite timid, Gargwa have been known to lay eggs when other creatures surprise them from behind. They are raised as livestock in numerous villages.

Melynx

Family: Lynian

Habitat: Everywhere you don't want them to be, which is EVERYWHERE

Drops:

Low Rank
    Shiny- Secret Stash (C), Ration (R), Pawprint Stamp (R), EZ Shock Trap (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Bipedal creatures resembling cats, known for their dark hair. More curious than Felynes and possessed by kleptomania, Melynxes take what they steal back to their dens. Felvine intoxicates them, causing them to sometimes drop items.

Jaggi

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Deserted Island, Misty Peaks, Ancestral Steppe, Dunes

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bird Wyvern Fang (C), Jaggi Hide (U), Jaggi Scale (R), Monster Bone S (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Highly social, carnivorous bird wyverns that live in large packs. Young Jaggi males hunt in groups when attacking larger animals and have been known to steal wyvern eggs. Research suggests they operate under orders from a single alpha male.

Rhenoplos

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Ancestral Steppe, Volcanic Hollow, Dunes

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Raw Meat (U), Rhenoplos Shell (U), Monster Bone M (R), Rhenoplos Scalp (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Extremely territorial herbivores with poor vision but acute hearing, Rhenoplos will doggedly pursue any target they sense. They often run into boulders, perhaps because they cannot easily stop once they break into a run.

Great Maccao

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Ancestral Steppe, Ruined Pinnacle

Threat Level: ***

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- none

Weaknesses: Fire, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits: Head, Tail

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Great Maccao Scale (C), Great Maccao Hide (U), Maccao Scale (R), Maccao Tailspike (S)

Capture- Great Maccao Hide (C), Great Maccao Scale (U), Maccao Tailspike (R), Champion's Crest (R)

Break Head- Champion's Crest (C), Great Maccao Hide (R), Champion's Crest (S)

Break Tail- Maccao Tailspike (C), Maccao Tailspike (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Maccao Scale (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Leader of the pack-hunting Maccao, the Great Maccao is easily spotted by its large size and feather-like yellow crest. It can balance on its tail and spring forward for a deadly strike, but when weakened, its lesser Maccao cousins are quick to turn tail and run.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Feb 23, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBGu2rD8mKI

Today we check out the other 3 towns that opened up now that we've unlocked Rank 2 quests, and we get a sneak preview of some cute new armor that we can make!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Glazius posted:

Can cats get access to poison attacks at all? Or is that kind of hazardous enterprise best left to humans?

Ah, a fair question! There is no Poison Bombey or anything like that. (I wish there were...) In order to poison anything, cats must equip a poisoning weapon, and then hit something until the poison takes. It is... less than ideal.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

CrazySalamander posted:

What was that song you used during the speed up?

Chimera is correct! Specifically it's this one right here, which is an 8-bit version of a track I used in a speed up section in a previous video, the race music.

I love Okami and especially the music from it, so I'll probably use its music liberally for supadupa speed sections. And yes, I did do a LP of it, though it was of the Wii version and it kind of looks like boiled rear end compared to the HD remaster...

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmUnoH8arI&t=37s

Today we're tackling TWO large monsters and we finally get a key skill that helps Prowlers kick rear end!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 2

Hello again, viewers! We've met some new friends since last time. Let's learn more about them!

As before, for monster loot:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

Click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page. For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Aptonoth

Habitat: Verdant Hills, Jungle, Ancestral Steppe, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Raw Meat (C), Monster Bone S (R)
For complete list of loot, click here/

Monsterpedia posted:

Relatively docile herbivores with characteristic crest plates. They form herds and raise young communally, and have been used as pack animals for generations. Their meat is tasty and nutritious, and they're very cautious around large monsters.

Velociprey

Habitat: Verdant Hills, Jungle, Primal Forest

Drops:

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bird Wyvern Fang (C), Velociprey Scale (U), Velociprey Hide (R), Monster Bone S (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Aggressive, carnivorous monsters that often travel and hunt in packs -- even master hunters are careful to not let themselves get surrounded by these predators. In this region, they're known to inhabit the Verdant Hills and the Primal Forest.

Bullfango

Family: Fanged Beast

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Verdant Hills, Arctic Ridge, Jungle, Deserted Island, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bullfango Pelt (C), Raw Meat (U), Brute Bone (R), Bullfango Head (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Foul-tempered wild boars that charge toward hunters the moment they spot them. Fertile and wide-ranging, they have been known to form large herds. Their meat has an unique flavor beloved by many.

Popo

Habitat: Arctic Ridge, Frozen Seaway

Introduced: Monster Hunter Freedom 2

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Popo Tongue (C), Raw Meat (U), Brute Bone (R), Jumbo Bone (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Herd-forming herbivores covered in thick fur to endure the cold. Popo are gentle, but known to use their massive tusks bravely when defending their young. Popo meat is very nutritious; the tongue is said to be especially palatable.

Giaprey

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Giaprey Scale (C), Giaprey Hide (U), Monster Bone S (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

A species of small bird-like carnivores known to inhabit the Arctic Ridge. Their white skin is beautiful, but their temperament is not. They are known to spit ice at hunters, and attack in deadly packs.

Vespoid

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Vespoid Shell* (C), Vespoid Wing* (U), Monster Fluid* (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

An enormous, wasp-like insectoid with a poisonous stinger that paralyzes prey. Easily damaged, there are rarely any usable parts left to harvest from them once they are killed. But if you could sap their Health gradually...

Jaggia

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Deserted Island, Ancestral Steppe

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Jaggi Hide (C), Jaggi Scale (U), Bird Wyvern Fang (R), Monster Bone S (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Female Jaggi that stay in packs, Jaggia generally live near the nest and are responsible for defending it and raising young. Smaller than mature males, but larger and tougher than the pack's countless young males. They also operate under orders from the alpha.

Genprey

Habitat: Dunes, Desert, Primal Forest

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Genprey Fang (C), Genprey Scale (U), Genprey Hide (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Bird wyverns with a distinctive green-and-orange striped hide, Genprey live in packs in the Dunes and Primal Forest. Their claws and large fangs contain a paralyzing neurotoxin that they use to stun prey.

Gendrome

Habitat: Dunes, Desert, Primal Forest

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Paralysis, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weaknesses- Ice, Lightning, Sleep, Poison, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Paralysis Sac (C), Gendrome Fang (U), Gendrome Hide (U), Gendrome Head (S)

Capture- Gendrome Hide (C), Paralysis Sac (C), Gendrome Head (S*)

*Stupidly rare, but over twice the odds of getting it from a carve!

Break Head- Paralysis Sac (C), Gendrome Hide (C), Gendrome Head (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Gendrome Fang (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Alpha monsters that lead Genprey packs. Larger than their brothers and with a more prominent crest, Gendrome use the venom in their highly evolved fangs and claws to paralyze their prey.

Velocidrome

Habitat: Verdant Hills, Jungle, Primal Forest

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Dung Bomb(ay)

Weaknesses- Ice, Sleep, Paralysis

Breakable Bits- Head

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Velocidrome Claw (C), Velocidrome Hide (U), Velociprey Scale (R), Velocidrome Head (S)

Capture- Velocidrome Hide (C), Screamer Sac U), Velocidrome Head (S*)

*Stupidly rare, but over twice the odds of getting it from a carve!

Break Head- Screamer Sac (C), Velocidrome Hide (U), Velocidrome Head (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Velocidrome Claw (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Alpha monsters that lead Velociprey packs. Larger than their brothers and with a more prominent crest, Velocidrome use their strong hind legs to leap at prey, pinning them with sharp claws before calling for others.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 1, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzYVWr4Xi3c

We are done ranting about XX, I promise!

Next update will be the multiplayer shenanigans, so look forward to that!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 21, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Glazius posted:

Besides poison, sonic bombs, and riding monsters like bucking broncos, what other useful tools are your cats currently without?

Off the top of my head, traps are the main thing. Support cats come with them, but if I used one of them I'd miss out on Piercing Boomerangs, which I can't teach to other cats yet.

Another useful one is Flash Bombey, which works like a Flash Bomb. Useful for monsters who try to fly away. Cats also get a skill, Trampoliner, which ostensibly can help get those mount hits in, but in practice it's useless. You get almost no horizontal distance with it. You'd have to park it right next to a monster, and as we've seen, monsters don't tend to stay in one place for very long!

As far as good support moves go, that you want on your sub-Palicoes, I've mentioned Go! Fight! Win! as one of my favorites. There's also Detox Horn, which cures Poison, good to have on your healing cats.

Some other things that humans get that cats can't are the various status inflicting meats, which you can put in front of a monster when it's hungry to poison/paralyze/put it to sleep and get some free hits on it. You can also stack Barrel Bombs next to a sleeping monster and blow them all up at once for massive damage. Bombing cats can sort of do that, but not really? Cats are really one-trick ponies. They do the Piercing/Big Boomerangs and that's basically it. You can fool around with Flash Bombey and Ultrasonic Horn, but those are edge cases.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Multiplayer shenanigans update... go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttpThgakD8U

I had this recorded last weekend, which ended up being a good thing. I've had a godawful cold since then, bleah.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Nov 27, 2017

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Next update is ready!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6XDhIhSoPI

It's late because I elected to play XBC2 instead of edit commentary...

Next update is either the Urgent for Rank 3 or more muliplayer shenanigans. I haven't decided yet.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

That cold I had last month has morphed into a persistent gently caress-you cough which has hung on for the last two goddamn weeks. I haven't been able to record commentary because I can barely string two sentences together without hacking up a lung. I am otherwise fine. I just can't talk! Turns out I have a respiratory infection so YAY.

Regular updates will be on hold until I can kick this stupid cough. I plan to prepare some side content this week to (sort of?) make up for it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

All right update on the... no updates. My ISP moved us to a bandwidth cap a couple months ago. A cap which we have exceeded early every month since. That means I can't do bandwidth heavy things until the cap resets... which is in another few days yet. It sucks and we were given no choice in the matter.

Updates will resume as soon as I can upload a thing without paying a dang arm and a leg!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Oh yeah, right update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6H4WHJZ87g

Holy poo poo we're not dead! I had a cold, then a respiratory infection, then another cold... and also my ISP being a butt, but we are soldiering on!

Next update we're doing more multiplayer shenanigans, so look forward to that!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MocrN-Tj688

Multicat, go!

I apologize for audio weirdness going on in the video. That is a result of recording weirdness that I did not realize at the time. I fixed it up as best I could.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEdEz7Tyndw

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Update!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yYDWfX_Nlc

In today's update, your OP and her commenters get everything HORRIBLY WRONG! Fortunately, Future Silver is here to set us straight. Thanks, Future Silver!

Reminder: Give me more cats or you'll have to put up with my horrible cat pun names! You guys don't want to see me pun. It is not pretty.

Also, suggest names for our new pets!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 3

Hey, it's been awhile since we've had one of these, hasn't it? I should really update it... We have seen so many new monsters since the last one!

Click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

For drops:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

For a complete and accurate list of loot, and more, I heartily recommend checking out MHGU DB or Ping's Dex (Mirror).

Hermitaur

Family: Carapaceon

Habitat: Dunes, Desert, Deserted Island, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Sm. Hermitaur Shell (C), Carapaceon Brains (U), Sharp Claw (U)

Monsterpedia posted:

These small, hard-shelled Carapaceon creatures are common in the desert, where they frequently lie in wait under the sands, lashing out when prey happen past them. Their brains are prized as a delicacy.

Apceros

Habitat: Dunes, Desert, Volcano

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Apceros Liver (C), Raw Meat (U), Monster Bone S (R), Monster Bone M (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Desert-dwelling Herbivores covered in tough plating. Highly territorial and known to tirelessly chase any who enter their habitat, they are especially hostile toward hunters, who have made a practice of stealing eggs from their nests.

Cephalos

Family: Piscine Wyvern

Habitat: Dunes, Desert

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Piscine Liver (C), Cephalos Scale (R), Monster Bone M (R), Cephalos Fin (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

The coloration of these piscine wyverns is well-suited to the deserts they inhabit. Excellent burrowers, they swim through the sand in packs, rarely surfacing. Their ears are highly developed; any impact caused by striking the ground forces them out of hiding.

Cephadrome

Family: Piscine Wyvern

Habitat: Dunes

Primary Element- Water

Recommended Status Protection- Paralysis, Nulberry

Weaknesses- Ice, Lightning, Status Effects

Breakable Bits- Head, Dorsal Fin, Tail

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Cephalos Scale (C), Cephalos Fang (R), Cephalos Fin (R)

Capture- Cephalos Fin (U), Cephalos Scale (R), Monster Bone M (R), Cephalos Fang (R)

Break Head- Cephalos Fang (C), Cephalos Fang (R)

Break Dorsal Fin- Cephalos Fin (100%)

Break Tail- Cephalos Scale (C), Cephalos Fin (U)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Cephalos Scale (R), Piscine Liver (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

The leaders of Cephalos herds, these individuals are set apart by their larger size and hard, black scales. Like their smaller counterparts, they have excellent hearing, making them sensitive to loud noises. Their fins also secrete a paralytic agent.

Anteka

Habitat: Arctic Ridge

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Anteka Antler (C*), Warm Pelt (U), Raw Meat (R), White Liver (S)

*100% when KO'd

Monsterpedia posted:

Herbivores that live in cold climates. Generally docile, though they have been known to attack when threatened. Their high-quality pelts have many uses, and their antlers are highly prized by the Guild. Simply stun the creatures to easily harvest one.

Bulldrome

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Arctic Ridge, Jungle, Marshlands

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- none

Weaknesses- Lightning, Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- None

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Bulldrome Hide (C), Jumbo Bone (U), Bulldrome Tusk (R), Bullfango Head (S)

Capture- Bulldrome Hide (U), Jumbo Bone (U), Bulldrome Tusk (R), Bullfango Head (S)

Shiny Drop- Beast Tear (C), Bulldrome Hide (R), Bulldrome Tusk (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Bulldrome are the imposing leaders of Bullfango packs, notable for their impressive tusks and large bodies. More aggressive than a Bullfango, it is known to ram into its foes, and is extremely proficient at tracking them.

Arzuros

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Deserted Island, Ruined Pinnacle

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Dung Bomb(ay)

Weaknesses- Fire, Lightning (front), Ice (butt), Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Front Legs

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Arzuros Pelt (C), Arzuros Shell (R), Jumbo Bone (S)

Capture- Arzuros Shell (U), Jumbo Bone (R), Arzuros Brace (R), Arzuros Pelt (S)

Break Front Legs- Arzuros Brace (C), Arzuros Pelt (U)

Shiny Drop- Beast Tear (C), Arzuros Pelt (U)

Shiny Drop (when eating honey)- Honey (100%)

Shiny Drop (when eating fish)- Sushifish (C), Goldenfish (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Beasts known to dwell in humid forest and mountain regions. Though known more for fishing and standing upright to collect honey, their thick claws and heavy forearm plating allow them to deliver powerful blows to any aggressor.

Tetsucabra

Family: Amphibian

Habitat: Jurrassic Frontier, Deserted Island, Frozen Seaway, Volcanic Hollow

Introduced: Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Tremor, Nulberry

Weaknesses- Water, Lightning, Poison, Sleep, KO

Breakable Bits- Tusks*, Hind Leg*, Back
*Tusks and hind legs can be broken individually

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Tetsucabra Scale (U), Tetsucabra Shell (R), Tetsucabra Claw (R), Dignified Skull (R), Jumbo Bone (S)

Capture- Paddock Oil (R), Tetsucabra Tusks (R), Jumbo Bone (R), Tetsucabra Shell (R), Tetsucabra Scale (S), Tetsucabra Claw (S)

Break Tusks- Tetsucabra Tusks (C), Dignified Skull (R)

Break Hind Legs- Tetsucabra Claw (C), Tetsucabra Scale (R)

Break Back- Tetsucabra Scale (C), Tetsucabra Shell (R)

Shiny Drop- Toad Tear (C), Paddock Oil (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Amphibians with unique jaws and tusks that they use to sift through rocks for prey. They use their powerful hind legs to traverse steep terrain. It can also use the large boulders it digs up to obstruct a predator's vision and make a hasty retreat.

Mosswine

Habitat: Misty Peaks, Jungle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Blue Mushroom (C), Raw Meat (U), Unique Mushroom (R), Mosswine Hide (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Wild pigs covered in moss and fungus. Sometimes you will even find mushrooms growing on them. Their meat is known as a delicacy, and although normally docile, they will charge when provoked.

Daimyo Hermitaur

Family: Carpaceon

Habitat: Dunes, Desert, Deserted Island, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Primary Element- Water

Recommended Status Protection- Dung Bomb(ay), Nulberry, Wind Pressure

Weaknesses- Fire, Lightning, Status Effects, Rodeo, KO

Breakable Bits- Shell (x2), Claws

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Hermitaur Shell (C), Monster Bone L (R), Hermitaur Claw (S) , Black Pearl (S), Carpaceon Brains (S)

Capture- Hermitaur Claw (U), Black Pearl (U), Hermitaur Shell (R), Decayed Crimson Horn (S)

Break Shell- Decayed Crimson Horn (C), Monster Bone L (R), Hermitaur Shell (R)

Break Claw- Hermitaur Claw (C), Hermitaur Claw (R)

Shiny Drop- Crab Pearl (C), Black Pearl (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

This large Carapaceon wears a massive monster skull on its back, and uses its large pincers and bubble breath to attack prey. When in danger, it uses its hardened pincers to form a tough shield that repels attacks.

Khezu

Family: Flying Wyvern

Habitat: Arctic Ridge, Frozen Seaway, Marshlands

Threat Level: ****

Primary Element- Lightning

Recommended Status Protection- HG Earplugs, High Wind Pressure, Stun, Paralysis, Dung Bomb(ay), Nulberry

Weaknesses- Fire, Sleep, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head, Body

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Flabby Hide (C), Pale Extract (U), Electro Sac (R)

Capture*- Pale Extract (U), Flabby Hide (U), Electro Sac (R), Pale Bone (S)

*Immune to Shock Traps

Break Head- Flabby Hide (C), Pale Extract (R), Pale Bone (S)

Break Body- Flabby Hide (U), Electro Sac (U), Pale Extract (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Pale Extract (R), Pale Bone (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Loathsome wyverns that dwell in caves and other dark places. All but blind, Khezu hunt by smell, using electric shocks to paralyze their prey before pouncing on them from the walls or ceiling.

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 1, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:Update time!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sfx_pcPk8I

I had some Grand Plans for which monsters I would fight next... which fell through when the monsters in question failed to even show up in the available quests! So I fought some different monsters instead.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Equipment Descriptions Part 1: Weapons Weapons and More Weapons!

Hello, cat fans! Liquidypoo has been bugging me for ages to show off the little flavor text that accompanies each piece of equipment. Well, really one piece of equipment, but why not show them all off? To be honest, this probably isn't the best way to show them off, but I'm going to try. We have a lot of stuff so I'm going to break it up into three parts. From here on out I'll try to remember to just include them in the video proper.

If you read any of these, make sure you read the one for the Stone Cat Statue. It is magical.

Default cat weapon.

Actually weaker than the Bone Wedge!

Basic cutting weapon. Make sure to stick 'em with the pointy end.

Basic blunt weapon, good for KOs.

Is the blade made from Jaggi bits or just the handle?

Weapon for the Kokoto equipment set.

Weapon for the Yukumo equipment set.

The weapon of choice for Melynxes.

I think this one speaks for itself.

Your first good ranged-focused weapon!

Bonus: you get to murder a bunch of Rhenoplos to make this!

A stylish dagger that can inflict Paralysis.

Goes great with Maccao armor.

Another self-explanatory one.

This one looks like a Bulldrome head.

A spikey honeycomb mace.

I call this one the Meat Mallet.

Took me ages to get one of these.

I guess you could call this an upgraded Bone Wedge?

Who wouldn't want one of these?

Stone Cat Statue was the one Liquidy kept bugging me to show off. Looking at it, I can see why!

A baseball bat made of honeycomb.

This one is just great.

Lobster's favorite!

Kinda morbid, this one, but cool.

Looks tasty!

Beat your foes to death with a chicken leg! Because why not?

This one has a little bunny on the end.

This whole armor set is wonderful.

Don't have this one yet, but we can see it.

A little toy drum.

Anyone got some garlic butter?

I don't like this one. It creeps me out. The name is funny, I'll admit.

I don't know why this one unlocks so early.

Ditto for this one.

All these require Handsome Scraps.

Handsome Scraps I'm pretty sure are a High Rank thing. We won't be seeing these until like... Rank 5* Village. It's silly.

An ice elemental cutting weapon.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Equipment Descriptions Part 2: Silly Hats Only

Hello again, friends! No regular update this week because we had company over for my husband's birthday. Instead, we're going to look at some silly hats!

This is your default cat armor, which you don't start with. Still gotta craft that poo poo yourself! What do you think this is? Not Monster Hunter?

Signature hat for Bherna Village.

Slightly better head armor made from iron ore.

Boner armor. 'nuff said.

A beret and face mask combo?

Signature hat for Kokoto Village, based on the original default armor from the original Monster Hunter. It's original!

A Pokke Village original! Nice and toasty for those cold climes.

Yukumo Village's special helmet. It's very cute.

A super cute straw hat.

Dress up like a robo teddy bear! Why not?

I know cat-fu.

One option if you want to cosplay as the Three Meowsketeers!

I don't remember your name, but your fez is familiar.

You murdered Pumbaa for this. I hope you're happy!

This is another option for the teddy bear aesthetic.

Trés Tacticool

This armor is super cute. Too bad the Cephalos is so dumb and bad. And stinky.

This just makes you look like Olmec from Legends of the Hidden Temple.

And you thought the Bnaha armor was cool!

It's like Ratatouille, but with cats instead of rats!

This one is Lobster's spirit animal.

Very silly looking. I approve.

Equally silly.

This one is even sillier!

This armor is also super cute.

This one is just silly. (I love it.)

I like the Ancient Egyptian thing this armor has going on. Very good armor, even if I don't particularly care for the monster it's based on very much...

This armor looks like an Oni.

Amazing.

Can't go wrong with this one. It's super cute. :3:

Not a fan of this armor set. I suppose it's cool if you like Silent Hill?

This armor set, however, is very much my jam but we won't be seeing it for a looooooong time.

This comes from the Airship Tickets you get from traveling between towns a lot.

Here's the armor you get from the Sinister Cloth.

This is Neko (Means Cat)'s signature armor. You can craft it with Trade Tickets. (And Handsome Scraps, which we won't be seeing for a loooooong time grrr.)

We haven't seen this guy outside of the Multiplayer Shenanigans yet, but here's his armor.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren: WOO UPDATE! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8pHHtPx-g4

Bad news: I gently caress up horribly in this video.

Good news: Ya'll get to make fun of me for it!

Since it came up during the video, here is the image that Lobster mentioned what appears on my Twitch streams:

I think it sums things up quite nicely.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren: It's that time! Update time! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIPs2TH0Lg

Because it came up during the video, I checked on my streaming software and it suddenly decided it was on speaking terms with my ElGato again after it updated some time ago! So that means I can stream again, hooray!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren:It's that time! Update time!:siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70NAPA1FU2g

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Equipment Descriptions 3: Fashionable Coats and Such

Hello, fine viewers! Here is the last of the equipment descriptions. As I've mentioned, I don't think this is the best way to show these off, so I've been showing them in-video as we get new stuff. This is the last of the backlog. Enjoy!

The matching body piece for the basic Palico armor. It'll get the job done and it's got a cute little puch on the back, but you'll be wanting to upgrade this ASAP.

Bherna Village's signature body armor.

This goes with the Alloy Helm. It's a nice upgrade from the Acorn or Bherna armor.

Or you can go with this to complete your tribal cat look.

The last piece of the Jaggi ensemble.

This is the final piece of Kokot's signature equipment.

And this completes the Pokke set.

Matching armor for the Yukumo Village outfit.

I love the cat watermelon design on this shirt. Top tier armor and weapon set.

This completes the robo-teddy bear look. That's a sentence I didn't think I would type today!

Wear this is you want to free your mind!

A cape and fancy tie to go with the stylish plumed hat. There's another armor set that does the Meowsketeer look better, but this will do until you unlock it.

A jacket to go with the familiar fez.

The last piece you need for your Pumbaa cosplay.

Wanna dress like Arzuros? This is the armor for you!

Your matching tacticool jacket.

An adorable sailor dress to go with the hat. I love this armor!

I still think this armor looks like Olmec.

The little leather jacket totally makes this outfit. "Eeeeyyyy!"

This'll be the perfect outfit for our future Meowscular Chef lookalike friend! He has been added to the list!

Just the thing for all you crafty people who knit and crochet!

The Aptonoth Mask just wouldn't look right without the matching set!

I like the torn caveman kind of aesthetic this one has going on.

And this? This is just wonderful. I defy you to disagree!

This armor is adorable and if you disagree you're wrong.

This armor speaks for itself. It's glorious.

I've already mentioned I like the ancient Egyptian thing this armor has going on, but it bears repeating.

This completes the oni look.

I love this armor! It has a little Monoplos shell on the back. :3: Way too cute.

This one is adorable too. Love the little fuzzy jacket.

This one I'm not so fond of. If you're into Silent Hill type stuff, it does the job I guess?

And I've already mentioned I love this armor and I am utterlly baffled that it shows up so early. It just sits there, taunting you, for most of the game!

This one is very cute. Look like a pro while you deliver the preflight safety lecture.

Another one we won't be seeing for a looooooong time.

The last piece for Neko (Means "Cat")'s signature armor set.

And this completes the Blagonga look!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

It's everybody's favorite time! :siren: Update time! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQrE9_qTldc

We're almost ready to rank up!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Official Meownsterpawdia Part 4

It's that time again! Time to take a look at all the new friends we've brutally murdered and carved up for their bits!

As usual, click on a monster's name to be taken to its Monster Hunter Wiki page.

For drops:

C= Common
U= Uncommon
R= Rare
S= Stupidly rare

Lagombi

Primary Element- Ice

Recommended Status Protection- Snowman (Soothing Roll), Nulberry, Tremor

Weaknesses- Fire, Lightning, Blast, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Ears

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Lagombi Pelt (C), Lagombi Plastron (U), Lagombi Iceclaw (R), Jumbo Bone (S)

Capture- Lagombi Plastron (U), Lagombi Iceclaw (R), Jumbo Bone (R), Lagombi Pelt (R)

Break Ears- Lagombi Ear (C), Lagombi Pelt (R)

Shiny Drop- Beast Tear (C), Lagombi Pelt (R), Lagombi Plastron (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Fanged beasts whose warm pelts and thick layers of fat help them survive in cold climates. Though mainly herbivores, Lagombi occasionally make use of their exceptional hearing and ability to glide on ice to sneak up on prey.

Nibelsnarf

Family: Leviathan

Habitat: Dunes, Desert

Threat Level: ****

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Earplugs, Nulberry

Weaknesses- Ice, Lightning, Poison, Blast, KO

Breakable Bits- Front Legs, Gills, Uvula

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Nibelsnarf Shell (C), Nibelsnarf Hide (U), Vivid Fluid (R), Nibelsnarf Scalp (S)

Capture*- Nibelsnarf Hide (U), Vivid Fluid (R), Nibelsnarf Claw (R), Nibelsnarf Scalp (S)

*Immune to Pitfall Traps

Break Front Legs- Nibelsnarf Claw (C), Nibelsnarf Hide (U)

Break Gills- Vivid Fluid (C), Nibelsnarf Shell (U), Nibelsnarf Scalp (S)

Break Uvula- Vivid Fluid (C), Nibelsnarf Shell x2 (U), Nibelsnarf Scalp (S)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Vivid Fluid (R)
For complete list of loot, go here

Monsterpedia posted:

Leviathans that have adapted to live in sandy areas. They burrow beneath the desert and locate prey aurally, then suck both the target and any surrounding sand into their maws. The gill-like organs in their mouths are thought to absorb nutrients.

Ioprey

Habitat: Marshlands, Dunes, Primal Forest, Volcano, Volcanic Hollow

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Ioprey Fang (C), Ioprey Scale (U), Ioprey Hide (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

A vivid red species of small carnivores often found in subtropical zones. Sacs in their throats contain a powerful poison that slowly drains the Health of their prey.

Iodrome

Habitat: Marshlands, Volcano, Primal Forest, Volcanic Hollow

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Poison, Dung Bomb(ay)

Weaknesses- Water, Lightning, Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Poison Sac (U), Iodrome Violet Scale (U), Iodrome Hide (R), Iodrome Head (S)

Capture- Iodrome Hide (C), Iodrome Head (S*)

*Still more than double the odds of getting it from a carve!

Break Head- Poison Sac (C), Iodrome Hide (U), Iodrome Head (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Iodrome Violet Scale (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Alpha monsters that lead Ioprey packs. Larger than their brothers and with a more prominent crest, Iodrome spit a poison that slowly saps the life from their prey. They are found primarily in subtropical zones.

Ceanataur

Family: Carpaceon

Habitat: Marshlands, Volcano, Ruined Pinnacle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Small Ceanataur Shell (C), Sharp Claw (R), Jumbo Bone (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

An adolescent Carapaceon with an organic shell firmly placed on its back. Once grown, this shell will be replaced by a giant monster's skull. Mainly living in volcanic zones, it is very aggressive, and not to be underestimated.

Yian Kut-Ku

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Verdant Hills, Marshland, Jungle, Ancestral Steppe, Ruined Pinnacle

Primary Element- Fire

Recommended Status Protection- Wind Pressure

Weaknesses- Ice, Lightning, Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Ears

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Kut-Ku Scale (C), Kut-Ku Shell (U), Kut-Ku Webbing (R), Giant Beak (S)

Capture- Kut-Ku Shell (U), Screamer Sac (R), Monster Bone M (R), Flame Sac (R), Giant Beak (S)

Break Ears- Kut-Ku Ear (C), Kut-Ku Ear (R), Kut-Ku Scale (R)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Kut-Ku Ear (R), Kut-Ku Scale (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

A bird wyvern with a huge beak and large ears that splay open when it is angered. Quick on its feet, and known to be territorial. It's known for its love of Konchu, and has been observed digging them up out of the ground to swallow them whole.

Ludroth

Habitat: Deserted Island, Misty Peaks

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Hyro Hide (C), Immature Sponge (U), Monster Bone S (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Aquatic female monsters. Ludroth form "harems" around large males, gathering in territories designated as breeding grounds. They're known to be extremely aggressive towards outsiders, so caution is advised when treading in their territory.

Royal Ludroth

Habitat: Deserted Island, Misty Peaks, Ruined Pinnacle

Primary Element- Water

Recommended Status Protection- Nulberry

Weaknesses- Fire, Poison, Blast

Breakable Bits- Crest, Mane, Tail (cut)

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Spongy Hide (U), R. Ludroth Scale (R), R. Ludroth Claw (R), Dash Extract (R), Aqua Sac (S)

Tail Carve- R. Ludroth Tail (C), R. Ludroth Scale (R)

Capture- Dash Extract (U), Aqua Sac (U), R. Ludroth Scale (R), R. Ludroth Tail (R), Spongy Hide (S)

Break Crest- R. Ludroth Crest (C), R. Ludroth Scale (R)

Break Mane- Spongy Hide (C), Dash Extract (R), R. Ludroth Scale (S)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Dash Extract (R)

Monsterpedia posted:

Royal Ludroth use their sponge-like neck scales to absorb water and keep from drying out on land. Once the sponge loses moisture, they attempt to re-enter the water. They also spew mucus to trip up their prey.

Gypceros

Habitat: Jurassic Frontier, Verdant Hills, Marshlands, Jungle, Ancestral Steppe, Primal Forest, Ruined Pinnacle

Primary Element- none

Recommended Status Protection- Poison, Stun, Wind Pressure

Weaknesses- Fire, Poison, Rodeo

Breakable Bits- Head

Loot:

Low Rank
    Carve- Rubbery Hide (C), Dash Extract (R), Poison Sac (S), Lightcrystal (S), Gypceros Head (S)

Carve (playing dead)- Dash Extract (U), Rubbery Hide (R), Wyvern Tear (R), Gypceros Webbing (R), Poison Sac (S)

Capture*- Dash Extract (U), Gypceros Webbing (U), Poison Sac (R), Rubbery Hide (R)

*Immune to Shock Traps

Break Head- Lightcrystal (C), Gypceros Head (U), Iron Ore (U)

Shiny Drop- Wyvern Tear (C), Dash Extract (R), Lightcrystal (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

Wyverns that can generate disorienting flashes of light by striking their prominent crests. Their rubbery hides resist blunt impacts and makes Shock Traps less effective. Beware: The poisonous saliva they spit can flow down slopes.

Hornetaur

Habitat: Marshlands, Verdant Hills, Jungle

Drops:

Low Rank
    Carve- Hornetaur Shell* (C), Horneteur Wing* (U), Monster Fluid* (R), Hornetaur Head* (S)

Monsterpedia posted:

A Vespoid-like monster, but with a thicker shell. Easily damaged, there are rarely any usable materials left to harvest from them once killed. But if you could sap their Health gradually...

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 23, 2021

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren: Time for an update! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45bFTLNi1c

That's about it for this rank. Next time, we're tackling the Urgent for Rank 4!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

"Will it Cat?" Prowlers and Mew- Part 1

Hello, gentle viewers! Today we're going to talk about something that is perhaps overdue. I haven't given ya'll a detailed write-up of what cats can do, what the different specializations are, their skills, and all that fun stuff. We'll do this in multiple parts so, let's dive in! Today, we'll talk about cat specializations, what they mean, and what they're useful for.

I gave a brief overview of cat specializations, their "Support Bias" as the game calls them, in the Palico Customization Guide. Time to go more in-depth. Reminder, the seven Support Biases are:

Charisma, Fighting, Defense, Support, Healing, Bombing, Gathering

Now, in general, a cat's Support Bias affects how it behaves in battle as a Palico buddy, its max stats, what Support Moves it can learn, and how it builds Support Move gauge (I'll call this "gauge" or "meter" for short). Each Bias builds up gauge quicker by doing different things. For instance, Support cats fill their meter faster by throwing boomerangs.

Now, each Support Bias has two signature Support Moves, or active skills, which go in the top two slots. The top one is fixed, the second one can be one of two possible choices. Usually, one choice will be much better than the other. Which one you get is random. Get used to a lot of randomness when scouting for cats... Oh, and do note, the first skill is locked to that cat. Other cats cannot learn it. The second skill is teachable as long as you've fought the required monster to "unlock" it.

They also have two fixed passive Skills, which are teachable as long as you've reached the required level.

NB, I'll be mentioning what monster you have to kill/capture to unlock fixed skills. These might include monsters we haven't seen. These will be spoiler-tagged. If you're playing along blind, avoid those!

Charisma

Charisma cats excel at buffing their allies, specifically cat allies. Their stats are balanced, and they build gauge slightly faster on average by doing... anything. They're the "Jack of all Trades" cats. The first Palico you scout when you first visit the Palico ranch is always a Charisma cat, and its skills are fixed. The game makes sure you have a nice mix of support and offensive skills for your first cat buddy.

Charisma cats are a good choice if you don't know what sort of quest you'll be tackling. You can't go wrong with 'em, but in most cases you're better off with a more specialized cat buddy. They're not bad, just not optimal either.

One other noteworthy thing about Charisma cats is they only have one fixed active skill, meaning they essentially get one extra skill slot to play with.

Stat Modifiers

None

Fixed Active Skill

Palico Rally

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- none

Raises the Attack and Defense of self and all allied Felynes, and keeps Palicoes from slacking off. Note: does not work on humans.

Fixed passives

Slacker Slap

Slots- 1
Unlock Condition- none

Smacking a slacking Palico keeps it from slacking off again for awhile. Equipping this on a Palico makes it automatically scold slackers.

Last Stand

Slots- 3
Unlocks at Level 25

Boosts your attack and defense by a lot, but removes your acorns! A lot of tryhard cat builds use this skill, but I personally don't like it. Those acorns are dead useful and I don't like giving them up, even for the (admittedly significant) power boost you get.

Fighting

The fighting Support Bias is your bread and butter offensive cat. They have the highest attack of any cat specialization, and they build Support Gauge faster with melee attacks. They are one of the two most "meta-gamey" Support Biases you want to go with for your main Prowler. Their job is to eat Felvine and kick rear end, and they're all out of Felvine!

Stat Modifiers

+20% Attack

Fixed Active Skill:

Furr-ious

Gauge Cost- 5

Enter Felyne Fury mode. (That's the thing where you get the "anime angry" symbols over your head for awhile.) This normally triggers when you've taken enough damage, and it does a whole bunch of poo poo: +30% Affinity, Earplugs effect, faster meter gain, faster dodge, tremor/wind resistance, and unlocks an extra melee attack by pressing X and A together. Sounds really good, right? Ehhh. Not so much. That gauge cost is huge. Cats only start with 3 bars. You're not getting up to 5 until level 10, and even then it means you can't use your gauge for anything else. Like Piercing/Big Boomerangs, which take 3 bars. Know what else is a better use of your gauge? Traps. Those take 4 bars. Oh, and the final nail in the coffin? There is a passive skill, Anger Prone, that makes you go into Fury Mode more often, so there is little need to waste all those bars on gettin' mad. This skill is pretty garbo and I wish I could unequip it. Oh well.

Variable Active Skills:

Demon Horn

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Shogun Ceanataur

womp womp This is the booby prize of the fighting cat. If you see this in your scouted Palico, you scroll right on past it because it's not Piercing Boomerangs. What does it do? It boosts the Attack of the party for a short time. I suppose it might be useful if you're... speccing your fighting cat for support for some... reason? In that case just teach it to your Charisma cat or something? Avoid.

Piercing Boomerangs

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Nargacuga

Piercing Boomerangs increases the number of hits your boomerangs do and makes them pierce through targets. It stacks with Big Boomerangs.
This, this right here, this is the crux of Prowler badassery. If you're scouting for a fighting cat, you want this skill and Big Boomerangs at minimum. It is key, it is crucial, it is super DUPER important.

Fixed Passives:

Attack Up (S)

Slots- 2
Unlock Condition- none

Increases attack by a small amount.

Handicraft

Slots- 4
Unlocks at Level 25

This skill increases weapon sharpness by one level. So, orange sharpness becomes green, green becomes blue, and so on. Sounds good on paper, but that's a hefty slot cost! Cats can only ever have 6 slots maximum! That doesn't leave a whole lot of room for essential skills like Boomerang Pro and Critical Up S. Not to mention you're not even getting that many slots until you reach level 40. Better solution? Just equip a sharper weapon to begin with... Apologies to all you Meat Mallet and Novelty Ball of Yarn fans!

Defense

Defense cats are the tanks of the Felyne world. They have the highest defense of any of the Support Biases, and they build gauge by blocking. The best offense is a good defense, or something! You could use a Defense cat as your main Prowler if you wanted to, since they get access to the Big Three: Piercing Boomerangs, Big Boomerangs, and Emergency Retreat.

Stat Modifiers

+30% Defense

Fixed Active Skill:

Taunt

Gauge Cost- 2

Over here, ugly! Your mum's a slag! This underappreciated skill makes monsters target the user for a time. Ever wish a big monster would stop chasing you long enough for you to quaff a Mega Potion? Then a Defense cat might be a good friend for you to bring along!

Variable Active Skills

Emergency Retreat

Gauge Cost- 1
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Cephadrome

If you plan to use a Defense cat as a Prowler, definitely pick this skill when Scouting, and teach it to all your other Prowlers! This is one of the Big Three essential active skills, along with Piercing and Big Boomerangs. Emergency Retreat recovers as much HP as a Potion, cures any abnormal status you have, and gets you the gently caress out of Dodge! While underground, you can even change zones, if you need to heal more or renew your boomerangs. Just beware, certain monster roars can knock you back above ground and stun you for a bit!

Armor Horn

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Daimyo Hermitaur

If you're running a Defense cat as your Palico buddy, rather than your Prowler, this is the skill you want to go with when scouting for them. Armor Horn boosts the defense of the entire party for a short time.

Fixed Passives

Guard (S)

Slots- 1
Unlock Condition- none

For Prowlers, this skill reduces the knockback from blocking attacks. For your Palico friends, it makes them block more. Considering that Defense cats build gauge by blocking, you definitely want this skill equipped on your Defense Palicoes at all times!

Guard Boost

Slots- 2
Unlocks at level 15

Allows you to block unblockable attacks. There are some attacks you can't block, even when you hit your shield button. This skill helps with that. It combos well with Guard (S), so you might as well throw it on there.

Support

This is your other likely choice for your main Prowler. Support cats don't have as much raw power as Fighting cats, but they build gauge faster by hucking boomerangs (which is what you should be doing anyway) and they're the only Support Bias with easy access to traps. They're also helpful buddies to bring along as your Palicoes. Support cats will occasionally show you the location and condition of any large monsters on the map (as if you had the Psychic skill equipped), and they can call out when a monster is fatigued or ready to be captured. Support cats are one of my two preferred Support Biases to take with me on hunts, assuming I'm not running a Support Prowler myself! Definitely make sure any Support cats you Scout have Big Boomerangs, so you can teach them Piercing Boomerangs at the dojo!

Stat Modifiers

-10% Attack

Fixed Active Skill:

Poison Purr-ison

Gauge Cost- 5

Sets a trap that immobilizes large monsters and poisons them. Note that, although it is a pitfall type trap no monsters are immune to it, even ones that normally laugh at Pitfall Traps. Normally, I balk at skills that have such a high gauge cost- 5 is a lot, but setting traps is such an essential thing that it's worth it. It'll take awhile for your Support cat to toss around Piercing/Big Boomerangs and still have some gauge to spare to set a trap, so start leveling your trapping cats early!

Variable Active Skills:

Cheer Horn

Gauge Cost- 3
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Mizutsune

Fills up a little bit of the Hunter Arte Gauge (for humans), and the Support Move Gauge (for cats). This is a decent option if you know you're only going to use that particular Support cat as a Palico buddy, and not as a main Prowler. For your Prowler, you definitely want the other variable Support Move, which is...

Emergency Retreat

Gauge Cost- 1
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Cephadrome

See Defense cat for the full description. This is still your best self-healing option, and the gauge cost is relatively cheap. It's incredibly useful for so many situations! You want it. Use the spare slot on your Support Prowler to teach them Piercing Boomerangs.

Fixed Passives:

Monsterdar

Slots- 2
Unlocks at level 5

This shows Prowlers more information about a monster on the map, as if they had the Psychic skill equipped. You can see which way a monster is facing, whether it sees you or not, and if it's sleeping. For Palicoes, they will occasionally impart this information to you. Annoyingly, it does not tell Prowlers whether a monster is weak enough for capture, even though Support-type Palicoes have access to this information.

Pro Trapper

Slots- 3
Unlocks at level 10

This skill speeds up trap-setting and lowers the gauge cost of traps by one. Definitely equip this if you're doing a trapping quest!

Healing

Healing cats do what you think they do. They're top-tier Palico buddies to bring with you on hunts! I highly recommend having at least one of these guys with you at all times. Healing cats are a bit unusual as far as building Support Gauge goes. Their gauge builds up gradually over time if they're not engaged in combat. For this reason, you want to set your healing cats' targeting priority to "small only" so they will ignore the big monster trying to bite off your face, build up meter, and keep you healed! You can change a cat's targeting priority at the dojo, under Meditation, so don't worry if you Scout a perfect healing cat that insists on going after large monsters!

Stat Modifiers

-10% Attack
+20% Defense

Fixed Active Skill

True Health Horn

Gauge Cost- 3

This is essentially a souped up Health Horn. It heals the entire party for as much as a Mega Potion. It's suuuuuuper good. You want your Healing cat whipping this out as much as possible.

Variable Active Skills

Armor Horn

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Daimyo Hermitaur

Want your Healing Palicoes to buff your defense as well as heal you? Pick this skill!

Cheer Horn

Gauge Cost- 3
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Mizutsune

Or maybe you'd prefer your Healing buddies to partially fill your Hunter Arte/Support Move Gauge? You can't go wrong with either option. Pick whichever one you like best.

Fixed Passives

Defense Up (S)

Slots- 2
Unlocks at level 5

Increases defense by a small amount. This is important for keeping your Healing buddy in the game, and healing you! Equip this ASAP and never take it off... unless you're upgrading to Defense Up (L), that is.

Health Harmonics

Slots- 3
Unlocks at level 25

Boosts maximum HP when using Health Horn or True Health Horn. This is a really good skill. You want this skill.

Bombing

You like explosions? Then boy have I got the Support Bias for you! These cats excel at blowing poo poo up! Just beware, they can also catch their allies in the blast! Bombing cats are better at melee combat, since their signature move involves... walking up to a monster with a Barrel Bomb over their head. They even get a 20% damage bonus when using bomb skills. Lastly, they fill their Support meter faster whenever they're in the same zone as a large monster.

Stat Modifiers

+10% Attack

Fixed Active Skill

Mega Barrel Bombay

Gauge Cost- 3

Welcome to Barrel Bomb L+ Town. Population: YOUR FACE! Palicoes can only use this when in Felyne Fury mode.

Variable Active Skills

Camouflage

Gauge Cost- 1
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Blangonga

Hides you in a barrel, lowering your aggro. Also lets you get back up quicker if you're knocked down. It's... a skill, I guess. Frankly, if you need to Retreat, say in an Emergency, there's a skill for that. Just saying.

Demon Horn

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Shogun Ceanataur

Since Fighting cats don't want to touch this skill with a ten-foot pole, Bombing cats are your most likely users of it. Bombing Prowlers probably have better things to do with their gauge, but your Palico buddies can make good use of it! Anyway it's way better than Camouflage...

Fixed Passives

Heat/Bomb Res

Slots- 1
Unlock Condition- none

This skill reduces the damage you take from bombs and negates heat and lava damage. Handy, considering what Bombing cats fling around... Might as well equip it.

Bombay Boost

Slots- 3
Unlocks at level 20

Increases damage for all Bombay attacks, and Blast attacks. Blast is arguably the best status to inflict as a Prowler, so this is secretly a really good skill! Blast status causes the victim to explode after a time, dealing massive damage. Really unpleasant to deal with yourself, really handy to have at your disposal!

Gathering

These cats aren't built for combat, though they'll do in a pinch. Instead, these cats are specialized for stuffing their pockets full of loot! Have an annoying gathering quest to do? Bring these guys along, both as your Prowler and Palico friends! As you might figure, Gathering cats build Support Gauge faster by... gathering (and also carving monsters).

Stat Modifiers

-10% Attack
-10% Defense

Fixed Active Skill

Plunderang

Gauge Cost- 4

Hucks a boomerang that steals items on contact. When used by a Palico, it nets you extra quest rewards. The gauge cost is hefty, and if you miss? Too bad! Do note that this is well worth using in multiplayer because it gives everyone extra loot if it connects.

Variable Active Skills

Piercing Boomerangs

Gauge Cost- 2
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Nargacuga

Yep, you read that right. Gathering cats can also get the Big Three. If you only want to use your Prowler for gathering quests, pick one of these guys and go with this skill in case you get into a scrap.

Camouflage

Gauge Cost- 1
Unlock Condition- kill/capture Blangonga

It isn't Piercing Boomerangs. Next!

Fixed Passives

Gathering Pro

Slots- 1
Unlcocks at level 5

Gives you the effects of the Felyne Gatherer food skill, netting you more stuff from gathering points. When equipped on your Palicoes, it makes them focus on gathering. Keep this equipped on your Gathering cats at all times. There's no reason not to!

Pilfer Boost

Slots- 3
Unlocks at level 15

Increases the power of stealing moves, like Plunderang and Pilfer, and lowers their gauge cost by one. Ehhhh... this is a skill, all right. Stealing moves aren't that great, as they can miss, but as previously mentioned, Plunderang and Pilfer give everyone extra loot in multiplayer.

That's it for the overview! Next time, I'll go more in-depth about what to look for when Scouting your cat friend. See you next time, same Cat time, same Cat thread!

Silver Falcon fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Oct 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

:siren: Aaaaaaaaand Update, Go! :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGxrshkY-W0

Update is a little late. We had some issues. Next update will also be late because holiday stuff... Next update may or may not be multiplayer shenanigans. We're trying to get a friend into it. I will keep ya'll posted!