Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

a colleague of mine uses aws glacier for his storage because he likes to janitor his backups

i just pay dropbox whatever they want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

nope.avi

hp.com

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

pagancow posted:

Dell and HP actually had a lot of taste in this regard of keeping the branding more like a stamp

that first one looks so much like the star wars poster font

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Metallica Microsoft best Microsoft

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

Logo Simplification has always been the trend for all brands as you need to be recognized faster

i like this one because they were like "quick guys! we need to show that we're more digital!" and then *picks an RGB color instead of a CMYK color* *Picks a san serif font that looks real close*

kodək

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

a colleague of mine uses aws glacier for his storage because he likes to janitor his backups

i just pay dropbox whatever they want

hes an idiot

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
Dropbox just announced a new pro tier.

it’s twice the cost as their regular plan, you don’t get any extra storage, but it enables ‘Smart sync’ aka through a ton of hacks they trick your OS into making it look like you have your files in your computer but they’re actually not (when you open them it’ll furiously download them from The Cloud). you also get finer-grained ACLs and access logs.

The two-year gap between when they announced Smart Sync and when they actually let people publicly use it should say everything.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

i like the old font and old box more

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

expanding brain meme

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

pagancow posted:

Logo Simplification has always been the trend for all brands as you need to be recognized faster

i like this one because they were like "quick guys! we need to show that we're more digital!" and then *picks an RGB color instead of a CMYK color* *Picks a san serif font that looks real close*
the old pre 1987 ones are kinda bad, (1971 is ok but they def improved the font and readability in 87

but lol ko-dick

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
i use spideroak cause ed snowden said so

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xaris posted:

but lol ko-dick

i think a schwa is pronounced "uh"

koduhk

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

maskenfreiheit posted:

i use spideroak cause ed snowden said so

lol yes please believe literal russian spy edward snowden

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

i think a schwa is pronounced "uh"

koduhk

No it depends on surrounding consonants so it's kodick in this case because you'd have to do more effort to say koduhk

meat sweats
May 19, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

forgot the latest one:

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

idgi

super abstract loss.jpg?

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
loss meme is unironically appropriate considering how hp bungled the gently caress out of webos

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

:discourse:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
lomarf https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/921691590820843520

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh neat so on some operating systems it gets lighter when it's not synced, and on other operating systems it gets darker

this is a high quality cross-platform product

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

this is what its always done on macos right? like im sure thats what its always done because ive always used the dropbox icon as a connectivity icon when my cable modem was dying

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I like dropbox because you can change were the folder is in your pc so I put it inside of the onedrive folder snd now it's like I have a double cloud or something

I am a computer scientistic :downs:

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Furia posted:

I like dropbox because you can change were the folder is in your pc so I put it inside of the onedrive folder snd now it's like I have a double cloud or something

I am a computer scientistic :downs:

can you then point the onedrive folder to the dropbox location and create an infinite loop?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

pagancow posted:

Or just be like Microsoft:

same thing until you realize that Windows is the stronger brand so tie that in

i'm impressed microsoft changed their logo three times in the span of seven years, then kept the ugly fucker for 25 years

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

pagancow posted:

WTF THIS IS THE BRANDING THREAD NOW

goddddddd

Take your meds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Boiled Water posted:

i'm impressed microsoft changed their logo three times in the span of seven years, then kept the ugly fucker for 25 years

you get stuck with whichever one you had when you became famous

fun fact: when popular music group The Butthole Surfers were getting started out, they played under a different band name every show. at one show the announcer misread the title of one of their songs ("butthole surfer") as the band name, and after that show they coincidentally got written up in a bunch of articles, and from then on were stuck with the name

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thx fishmech jr

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I just think it's neat

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I love company logos

Jeesis
Mar 4, 2010

I am the second illegitimate son of gawd who resides in hoaven.
Is spider oak worth using? I hosed around on a trial and it seemed alright other than it creating a worthless LIVE folder that in their FAQ says "Why would you want to remove it :smug:"

Dropbox seems like they are doing constant fucky poo poo and having issues trying to be bleeding edge.

Should I just bite the bullet and use dropshit, assbox, shitass?

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

dropbox suits my needs op, hth

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dropbox try all sorts of new poo poo but haven’t hosed with core functionality for as long as I can remember. if you want files synced across platfroms and cloud storage that is what you’ll get.

you’ll also get whatever the current website is

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Endless Mike posted:

forgot the latest one:

This one was never used

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pagancow posted:

Dell and HP actually had a lot of taste in this regard of keeping the branding more like a stamp

except for 1974 because drugs or something

idk what the 1956 to 1974 is meant to showcase

they used the word mark next to the logo, or surrounding it, continuously, from the 50s right up to the Agilent sponoff

i am aware of their branding history because in college labs we still had 1960s hp gear for a few specialized items. if it ain't broke why fix it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

This one was never used

one of my students has an hp laptop with this logo on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

• Locked thread