Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Hey everyone, BFM here, the lesser half of the long-lost Monstergeddon team. With Halloween just around the corner imagine my delight when Josh "Worm" Miller contacted me about getting the band back together- of course I was down and excited. We both would love to revive this series for y'all.

There's one hitch though- try as I might I can't get anybody to answer any emails, PMs, tweets, FB messages, carrier pigeons, anything. Neither Lowtax nor G0M seem reachable. I'd hate to let this opportunity pass, so I'm getting a little more daring starting this here thread, in the hopes that somebody, anybody, will know how to get the attention of the powers that be.

Thanks friends! Should this thread like others just be reduced to a fart in the wind by dereliction then feel free to discuss old Halloween articles wistfully. I'm hoping this is not an abuse of this subforum, but desperate times call for desperate measures. Sigh...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Whoa I didn't see any emails or anything. but i'm here. what do you need

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
This is great news, Monstergeddon was a very well done and I hope you guys can get something put together.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

yeah actually they will posted:

Whoa I didn't see any emails or anything. but i'm here. what do you need

Oh shoot, is this G0m? Well that would explain it if I was just getting the account/address name wrong, my bad.

Worm says he has the idea for the script and I've agreed to do the graphics so really, we just need to know how much lead time you need to hit the front page the morning after Halloween (unless that slot is spoken for, I don't mean to presume). I think Worm mostly didn't want to go through the process unless we knew we could get it up for people to see, you know.

If that's cool with you I'll let him know we're clear, his forums account is apparently dead. Thanks a million!

-edit : oh and the correct contact to send things to is probably helpful too, since I am apparently out of the loop on that. Whoops!

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Monstergeddon is so very, very good and I am glad.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Monstergeddon is a national treasure

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Oh shoot, is this G0m? Well that would explain it if I was just getting the account/address name wrong, my bad.

Worm says he has the idea for the script and I've agreed to do the graphics so really, we just need to know how much lead time you need to hit the front page the morning after Halloween (unless that slot is spoken for, I don't mean to presume). I think Worm mostly didn't want to go through the process unless we knew we could get it up for people to see, you know.

If that's cool with you I'll let him know we're clear, his forums account is apparently dead. Thanks a million!

-edit : oh and the correct contact to send things to is probably helpful too, since I am apparently out of the loop on that. Whoops!

For front page schedule stuff you'd have to ask Lowtax, he's the only one who knows what it is. As for how to contact him, if you figure it out, let me know please.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Crap. Yeah, I've been trying to reach Lowtax for years to offer free front page services but he never responds. Just this month he put the call out for a new writer to take up ALOD, and I pounced on it, but nothing.

So I guess that's where SA is at. We're willing to do popular work for free but the site owner can't be bothered. If anybody knows how to get Kyanka's attention I'd be much obliged- you would be saving Monstergeddon.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Pardon the doublepost, but I am past the point of frustrated and am exercising civil protest. Forums etiquette be damned, there's comedy on the line.

I confirmed with Worm Miller last night via email, both of us are super stoked to bring back Monstergeddon for Halloween this year, we both have great ideas for it and despite our stupid busy professional creative-people schedules we are both willing to do it for absolutely free. All we want is to have it on the front page and listed with the other archived articles so we can point people (and search engines) to it and say look, look at the nice comedy articles. We are proud of them and of SA.

That's the thing that pisses me off so much about this, and about the last few years of poo poo like this: I'm proud to have been a part of Something Awful. I worked for SA for five awesome years, with all kinds of amazing writers who had a real honest-to-goodness community between them. Some of my favorite memories of that period are wild phone conversations about art and writing with Thunderbeard, email chains about minor article edits with GarbageDay, and of course the back and forth process between him, Worm and me for Monstergeddon every year (and a few other times). We treated it like a real-rear end event, which was and still is the tone for the front page- a real-rear end comedy publication. Where people communicated with eachother.

I know things are really different now, first and foremost because it's a volunteer effort, and I want to say I greatly appreciate everybody working to keep laughs on the table regularly in that environment, you guys are kicking rear end. SA being a reliable paying client for freelancers was always a huge oddity and those days are over, we all get it. But there was always something else awesome about the front page too, something that definitely is still there (I still read it and I still laugh). There's always been a sense of actually giving a poo poo and wanting to publish a comedy thing of worth on the front page. I've always seen it as a new kind of Help! or National Lampoon or something, a 21st century small comedy press where askew talents can cut their teeth. Like those publications SA may eventually fold too, but it hasn't yet, and I have hope for it.

But hope is tough to have when you can't even give away the loving work anymore. I have tried for years to donate work to the front page because I miss it, and I'm a proud alum who would love to help. But Lowtax doesn't answer emails, or PMs, or tweets (I don't use Twitter but I've had friends who do bug him with links for me. Repeatedly. Obnoxiously.)There was a time I was so excited to work for him, which really makes it all sting. I sweated the hurricane and the boxing match right alongside the guy, proud to say to people that Richard Kyanka was my best client. He had a mythical Harvey Kurtzman-esque quality to him that was perfect for a starving film-school slacker like me.

But now I guess maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see. Lowtax, I'm not giving up easily on this. If you just don't want our gift of free work, I will drag you in here and make you tell me so yourself. You owe us that courtesy at least.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Up with Monstergeddon!!!

You dudes are treasures, much respect.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If you don't mind it going up on the weekend, I could probably just put it up there myself. I don't think there are any scheduled weekend slots ever so there wouldn't be a schedule conflict. I put articles up on the weekend a couple times without asking and it was either fine or no one noticed?

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

I think that would be acceptable, but I will check with the author first and get back to you. Thank you!

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Sweet. If it turns out this was highly illegal and lowtax deletes my front page privileges, it's been an honour serving with you.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
Maybe you could reach lowtax in gbs. He posts in there fairly regularly it seems. He's also always plugging his podcast in the announcements, and I think it's hosted on SoundCloud. Maybe there's a way to contact him on there.

I always enjoyed Monstergeddon, and kudos to you guys for going above and beyond to keep it alive.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

yeah actually they will posted:

Sweet. If it turns out this was highly illegal and lowtax deletes my front page privileges, it's been an honour serving with you.

You are tops, man. I look forward to further adventures in buffoonery together.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks for coming back, the ending to the last one was such a great cliffhanger.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't pay much attention to the front page articles but Monstergeddon was always great, this is fantastic news!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
YES YES YES YES YES!

I was just about to look up the old Mostergeddon thread to whine about how I miss it and now this! I am so pumped!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
As for contacting Lowtax, he does tweet at people a lot. Maybe insult him to get his attention? Or post up some bad-looking food, that seems to get a response.

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Alright, Worm says he can make the weekend after Halloween work. He's going to get me the script ASAP and I'll turn it around to the wonderful and aptly named Yeah Actually They Will to post.

What would be the best place to send the files, sir? I'm going to try and have them to you by the preceding Friday morning at the very latest.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
You can just send them to me over PM. If you'd prefer to do it over email, let me know and I'll PM my address.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
I love Monstergeddon, and I hope this deal goes through. The message board getting infiltrated by trolls horror movie protagonists will remain my favorite bit out of those articles.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I can't wait to see how bad Howard's life went.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I'm so sorry you guys haven't been able to get an answer from Lowtax, shame on him. But I hope it goes through because yes I need more Monstergeddon in my life.

Also please pass along to Worm how awesome the first half of the Golan cartoon was. (You know, the half where he voiced Golan and it was absolutely perfect and why the gently caress did they change it.)

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I guess naming the thread It's alive! was a bit premature.

Got my hopes up :smith:

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I guess naming the thread It's alive! was a bit premature.

Got my hopes up :smith:

weekend after halloween is this weekend my friend!

The Easy Rider
Sep 21, 2006

Corn Dogs- Deep Fried Proof Of A Loving God
Extremely excited about this! Monstergeddon is one of my favorite front page series!

BoldFrankensteinMir
Jul 28, 2006

Just sent yeah actually they will the files, and I think you're all gonna like it. Happy belated Halloween everybody, from me and Worm!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Just sent yeah actually they will the files, and I think you're all gonna like it. Happy belated Halloween everybody, from me and Worm!

:neckbeard:

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Appropriately back from the dead.

I'm CoolGhoul.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Holy crap how much of a surprise this was to see. I'm just so...so happy...

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Might want to add the link to the OP ;)

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thanks, this was great.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I got so happy seeing this... it's like a Halloween treat! Great work as always!!

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Kraa! Good to see familiar monsters and a few I think were new, too. (I'm from Wisconsin! I like country music!)

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
Well, how does a fog sexually assault anyone, or don't I want to know?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

gleebster posted:

in the butt, traditionally

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

monstergeddon has always been one of my favorite series, and I'm really glad it's back

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

gleebster posted:

it jacks off in front of them, please read the article

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellbat
Feb 23, 2014
It was good to see this again, thank guys.

• Locked thread