Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I really doubt a $6 controller would be good for anything, let alone Smash, but I’d love to hear more impressions on them.:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

I’ve gotten started on modding my Wii and have gotten as far as installing USBLoader GX. I’ve run into an issue where USBLoader GX can read my usb drive but when I start a game, it gets stuck on a black screen.

I’m using a Sandisk 128gb flash drive which I think may be the issue. I saw a user on GBATemp using a Sandisk 64gb that had the same issue as me.

Sounds like Wiis can be pretty finicky when it comes to flash drives. I suppose it might be best to use a HDD instead for me to load Wii games on for USBLoader.

Has anyone run into a similar issue like this? Did using a HDD make things work with USBLoader? Would I need a HDD with an external power supply or can I use a Y-cable plugged into the Wii?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I just use an SD card with WiiFlow and it loads all my games.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I just use an SD card with WiiFlow and it loads all my games.

That may be worth a shot. What size SD?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
512gb currently

E: WiiFlow does a really good job of creating a browse-able collection of games and even has cool features like "view the back of the game box".

I also like how it lets you make lists of games to easily filter through them. That's how I get to all the Wiimote shooting games quickly, for instance.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jul 14, 2023

Tewdrig
Dec 6, 2005

It's good to be the king.

Keito posted:

How are the sticks for Smash? Have you compared them with OEM controllers? I only have a single usable GC controller left after my brothers ravaged the rest, so at that price it's tempting to pick up a bundle of those to let them at it again.

I am a low skilled Smash player, but they are good for playing with the kids. I have also used them for Smash for the WiiU and the Switch with the adapter, but I have not used them for GameCube Smash. I never before played Smash using gc controllers, but I had a good experience. I really just wanted to play four player Double Dash, and for that, they work great.

I looked at buying all the new Nintendo-branded stuff or hitting up a local flea market, but for what I wanted, I thought I would take the risk. I figured even if the controllers were so-so, I could still get use out of three of them for multiplayer games and buy an OEM for single player. Anyway, I am happy with it, but all I have is a memory of OEM controllers from 15 years ago. I didn't do a comparison.

Commander Keene posted:

Are these the controllers with digital triggers or do they have analog triggers? If they're accurate GameCube controller replicas I might pick one or two up for GameCube emulation.

I just double checked with Mario Sunshine, and I can get the half-press run and shoot, as well as the full press stand in one place and aim the water. My thought is they are analog, but maybe there are games where sensitivity matters more where these would not stand up.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I really doubt a $6 controller would be good for anything, let alone Smash, but I’d love to hear more impressions on them.:lol:

I can imagine anyone who knows about revisions of the gc controller and is comparing precision with OEM would not be happy. For me, they meet my needs, and it means I spent $40 all-in instead of $250. These are my first non-OEM controllers since SNES when I had something with a turbo, but for my use case, it was worth a gamble on quality, and I am satisfied. It appears to me that Amazon has the same thing for $20ish with the controller put in a box and resold, so if someone wants to try one out but wants to be able to return it, that may be an option. Maybe they do their own quality control too so you get fewer duds, I don't know.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

512gb currently

E: WiiFlow does a really good job of creating a browse-able collection of games and even has cool features like "view the back of the game box".

I also like how it lets you make lists of games to easily filter through them. That's how I get to all the Wiimote shooting games quickly, for instance.

Awesome! Thank you for the quick response. I’m going to give Wiiflow a shot.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

512gb currently

Wow, this is much better than I remember the Wii homebrew game loading solutions being. It was always cumbersome with external HDDs and very limited functionality in the OS.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006

Last night, I installed Wiiflow on Wii U’s VWii and was able to get Wii games emulated!

I installed the Wii WBFS files on the 128 gb SD Card I’m using for the Wii U and it seems to load just fine. So my guess is my Wii doesn’t want to work with the USB flash drive I was trying to use.

I’m going to get another SD card and see if the Wii + Wiiflow will work with that.

E: just tried losing a game on a 8GB SD card I was using for the Wii brewing. That worked perfectly with the Wii! I was able to play a Wii game AND use a GameCube controller. Perfect! Thank you all again for the help.

Der-Wreck fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jul 15, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, this is much better than I remember the Wii homebrew game loading solutions being. It was always cumbersome with external HDDs and very limited functionality in the OS.

Honestly, you can set Priiloader to boot straight into WiiFlow once you've got it all set up. You can always exit out to the stock dash and all of the apps you'd need to load like HBC can be launched from within WiiFlow.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Has anyone had much luck using the new Yuzu switch emulator on a android handheld or phone?

I tried Skyline and everything runs great on it, but since it's no longer being worked on its missing a lot of options.

Yuzu has those features, but for the life of me I can't even get anything to even launch on it.

The only explanation I can guess at is that Yuzu says it requires 8gb of ram on the device and my phone only has 6gb. I could see that affecting performance, but things should at least start up.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

android doesn't have a swap file so unlike on windows, if an app uses too much memory the system will immediately murder it

Vakal
May 11, 2008

repiv posted:

android doesn't have a swap file so unlike on windows, if an app uses too much memory the system will immediately murder it

Interesting. My Samsung does support virtual memory so maybe I'll mess around with that and see what it does.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I have various hacked consoles, including a cfw capable switch. I also have a steam deck. What would be the best way to play 3DS games on a big screen? Assume I'd be playing games that don't need touch controls.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Relyssa posted:

I have various hacked consoles, including a cfw capable switch. I also have a steam deck. What would be the best way to play 3DS games on a big screen? Assume I'd be playing games that don't need touch controls.

Citra emulator?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Relyssa posted:

Using Citra to emulate a 3ds is the most affordable/best performing at this point.

If you have a n3ds xl or new 2ds or something you can try hacking the console and using that wireless display homebrew but even with the best of routers it has pretty bad latency. It doesn't really work at all on the old 3ds models either. You also can only stream video. Audio will require you to use a line audio Cable from the 3ds to your PC

If you have $500+ you can try to get someone to mod a capture card to your 3ds but those services are much rarer now and depends upon availability of the hardware/interest of the few people still doing it.

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 17, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Relyssa posted:

Deck has a big screen for a handheld but if you mean an actual TV set, then you can also dock it there. Citra will play nearly everything in the 3DS catalogue pretty well. Check the EmuDeck stuff.

Edit: adding a video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwO7P9u1Xag

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

MagusDraco posted:

If you have $500+ you can try to get someone to mod a capture card to your 3ds but those services are much rarer now and depends upon availability of the hardware/interest of the few people still doing it.

It’s that expensive still? That’s a shame. Hopefully there’s a cheaper solution some day.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s that expensive still? That’s a shame. Hopefully there’s a cheaper solution some day.

If anything, it will only get more expensive. If an easier to install solution with cheaper components ever show up that will be a win for sure, but it's not guaranteed at all.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

3dscapture.com offers n3DSXL capture hardware for $120 if you can install it yourself, but they'll install it for extra

pretty hard to justify unless you need it for livestreaming speedruns where emulators usually aren't allowed

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 18, 2023

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Still waiting for cool custom shells for the 3DS family. The GBA has gotten love for too long now it’s time for the 3DS to get transparent purple shells!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Deck has a big screen for a handheld but if you mean an actual TV set, then you can also dock it there. Citra will play nearly everything in the 3DS catalogue pretty well. Check the EmuDeck stuff.

Edit: adding a video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwO7P9u1Xag

Thank you for this, been meaning to look into EmuDeck.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I use Citra via EmuDeck on the Steam Deck and can confirm that it's great. Always found the Switch screen just a bit too small and the performance wasn't always great. Deck is perfect.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Isn’t the screen the same size?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the deck and switch OLED are both 7", but the original switch is 6.2"

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah I have the original switch. That little 0.8 inches makes a hell of a difference! Hah! That's what my wife would say as well!!

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh yeah the deck and SWOLED also differ slightly in that they're 1280x800 and 1280x720 respectively

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh I’ve had the SWOLED for so long I forgot how small the original switch screen was with its big bezels and such

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I can’t play DS/3DS games emulated. It feels small, even on a large screen, when playing them in the vertical orientation and just awkward to me having the screens side by side.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I can’t play DS/3DS games emulated. It feels small, even on a large screen, when playing them in the vertical orientation and just awkward to me having the screens side by side.

I'd probably spin my monitor 90° for DS games

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

leper khan posted:

I'd probably spin my monitor 90° for DS games

Even then would feel a little awkward to me, especially with games that use touch inputs on the bottom screen.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

SeANMcBAY posted:

unless...

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah the DS is very strange and awkward to emulate. Makes me glad there are 154.02 million out there keeping the aftermarket prices down in case mine breaks

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

hatty posted:

Yeah the DS is very strange and awkward to emulate. Makes me glad there are 154.02 million out there keeping the aftermarket prices down in case mine breaks

Weird thing is how expensive they're getting for no good reason.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

SeANMcBAY posted:

I have 2 monitors in an over/under setup on my PC which seems like it should be ideal for emulating them, but I couldn't get citra to work right in the couple of minutes I screwed around with it. Maybe some weekend I'll screw with the config files and get it set up.

The big window / little window setup on the steam deck using the back buttons to swap them is not terrible though.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I use Citra via EmuDeck on the Steam Deck and can confirm that it's great. Always found the Switch screen just a bit too small and the performance wasn't always great. Deck is perfect.

This is excellent to hear. Can you give any detail on games you played and how they ran?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Relyssa posted:

This is excellent to hear. Can you give any detail on games you played and how they ran?
only really played Fantasy Life, Link Between Worlds and Luigi's Mansion 2 so far but all run pretty flawlessly (although I'm not at all picky about stuff like visual/sound accuracy so maybe not the best person to ask)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I have an interesting problem. I have two Switches - a main one and a second one. I hacked my second one so I could use it for Let's Playing (you can install software that acts like a capture card).

Now for the problem. My Nintendo account is on my main Switch (with my second, hacked, Switch associated). My games (bought from the eShop) are on both. This means that if I try to play my games on emuMMC (hacked firmware), the system tries to go "Checking if the game can be played..." - it's trying to sign in with Nintendo to check if I can play the titles.
Obviously I'm going to follow the warning when I hacked my switch that says "don't take your hacked firmware online or you'll get banned", so that's out.

After some digging online, it looks like I need to install something called 'Sigpatches'. I tried installing them, but nothing seems to have changed - I still get the 'checking...' dialog.

(The fine print: I located sigpatches for Switch firmware v16.03 + Atmosphere 1.5.4, installed them, by copying the files onto my Switch's SD card, then added kip1patch=nosigchk to my hekate_ipl.ini to make it activate them. I am booting using Hekate, and not chainbooting into fusee.bin as far as I can tell.)

Does anyone have any insight into what might be going wrong?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Quackles posted:

After some digging online, it looks like I need to install something called 'Sigpatches'. I tried installing them, but nothing seems to have changed - I still get the 'checking...' dialog.
Sigpatches are intended to load pirated games (or at least, games that you dump yourself and install with a NSP installer) since those require modifications to the NCA headers to use standard crypto (which breaks the header signature, hence the "sigpatch"). Since games you install from the eShop have legitimate tickets they don't benefit from sigpatches, and as far as I know, nobody has attempted to patch the online check.

That said, as long as you have access to both of your Switches you should be able to make this work without patches. Something like this:
  • Open the eShop on your non-hacked Switch, pull up your profile, and deregister primary.
  • Open the eShop on your hacked Switch (sysNAND), which will automatically register it as the new primary.
  • Turn on airplane mode and boot into Hekate, update your emuMMC, which will copy over the latest contents of sysNAND.
  • Boot into sysNAND again, turn off airplane mode, open the eShop, deregister again, and turn on airplane mode*.
  • Open the eShop on your non-hacked Switch, which will automatically register it as the primary again.
  • Boot into CFW on your hacked Switch.
Now, as long as you don't take CFW out of airplane mode your hacked Switch should still think it's primary because it was primary at the time of the last emuMMC update.

* You may not need to turn airplane mode on a second time here, but my paranoia keeps hacked Switches in airplane mode always unless you're surely booted in a clean sysNAND and need to install updates or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Wouldn't the atmosphere settings to block connections to Nintendo prevent the switch from realizing it's not primary anymore?