Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't the atmosphere settings to block connections to Nintendo prevent the switch from realizing it's not primary anymore?

I had changed it to a secondary before I hacked it, because I thought it worked like a Luma-hacked 3DS. That one's on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Wouldn't the atmosphere settings to block connections to Nintendo prevent the switch from realizing it's not primary anymore?
Can't say, I categorically don't trust those.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
dusted off my SNES mini a few months ago and have been playing through it. have beaten a bunch of games, but want a different load out. and now I realize... I don't know how to add more games. like, I can find guides on how to install Hakchi--but now that I have it installed, is there a way to go back in and add more games? I'm running Hakchi 2.20.

alternately... is it better to upgrade to Hakchi CE instead? seems to be some QOL things have been added to it... easier to muck around with retroarch cores and automatic updates.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
went digging for more answers this morning and found this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/hlvuk3/guide_for_moving_from_hakchi_2x_to_latest/

seems like i need to uninstall my current hakchi and revert to the original kernel then do the move to CE

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I finally figured out that I have a hackable switch - it was in that period of serial numbers where some were patched and some weren't.

What are the best things I could do with hacking it? I have a hacked 3DS that has a good amount of emulators on it, but I guess the switch is better for anything that's not from the DS/3DS family.

Also I tried out TotK emulated at 4k 60fps and it made me sad given I'd already put about 100 hours into the game on my switch so I wasn't about to start again - could I rip the save file from my switch and stick it into the emulated version?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Butterfly Valley posted:

I finally figured out that I have a hackable switch - it was in that period of serial numbers where some were patched and some weren't.

What are the best things I could do with hacking it? I have a hacked 3DS that has a good amount of emulators on it, but I guess the switch is better for anything that's not from the DS/3DS family.

Also I tried out TotK emulated at 4k 60fps and it made me sad given I'd already put about 100 hours into the game on my switch so I wasn't about to start again - could I rip the save file from my switch and stick it into the emulated version?

The switch is pretty great at emulating most things up until gamecube / ps2 (it can play a bunch of those games but is best done in android which is a pain). And yeah, swapping saves back and forth with emulators is entirely possible and really cool, get JKSV and/or EdiZon and go nuts.

Another cool thing is overclocking, the switch actually has a bunch of headroom that can be used at the expense of battery life. Great stuff for docked mode especially, SMTV (for example) was infinitely better to play with an overclock.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Butterfly Valley posted:

could I rip the save file from my switch and stick it into the emulated version?

You can use Checkpoint to pull the save file and it should work in your emulator. In TOTK's case, all the pictures you have saved will come out as raw JPGs.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Is hacking an OLED switch easy enough? I probably should have kept my launch switch to hack but the battery life was so trash....and the OLED is such a pretty screen...

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's no softmod for later switches such as the OLED model, the only route to hack them is by soldering in a modchip

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

Is hacking an OLED switch easy enough? I probably should have kept my launch switch to hack but the battery life was so trash....and the OLED is such a pretty screen...

There is currently no way to software hack an OLED switch. You can search around and see if hardware mods are available but chances are pretty slim of you getting anywhere with it without a lot of difficulty or a lot of money. Should've kept the launch one.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty confident in soldering and the video I watched for modding a switch just looks real frustrating. It's very invasive.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eehhh, well thanks for the answers. I have a hacked 3ds so it isnt a priority and theres no way im gonna hardmod it

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
Can you put an OLED screen on a launch switch? I haven't done much research but I have a modded launch switch but am jealous of the OLED screen

*edi* the answer to this is no, sadly.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 25, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The OLED switch is like 1 or 2 mm wider than the original switch, and I'm sure there are plenty of internal changes as well.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sally posted:

went digging for more answers this morning and found this guide: https://www.reddit.com/r/miniSNESmods/comments/hlvuk3/guide_for_moving_from_hakchi_2x_to_latest/

seems like i need to uninstall my current hakchi and revert to the original kernel then do the move to CE

got this working.

the save compression module listed in this guide was a nice find too.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Thank you all for the help with Wii hacking. It wasn’t bad at all to softmod. Getting everything installed was easy; the only thing I had trouble with was figuring out storage capabilities.

At first I tried a 128gb USB stick for Wii games but I couldn’t get that to work with USB Loader GX or WiiFlow.

I then tried a 64gb SD card and that worked perfectly! Wiiflow plays games off SD easily.

I wanted to get some GameCube emulation going but ran out of storage space on the SD card. So I used the USB stick and loaded the GameCube games on there. Installed Nintendont through the SD card. Turns out that works A-OK! The GameCube games load just fine off the USB stick in Nintendont. However, I can’t load games through Wiiflow if the USB stick is plugged in. I have a feeling it’s because I have an empty WBFS folder on the USB stick… or its just some weird compatibility thing.

All in all, I’m super happy with the softmodded Wii! I never had a Wii and didn’t play much of it so I’m getting to explore a lot of neat gems.

I just beat House of The Dead Overkill. Light gun games on the Wii are awesome! Overkill is incredibly good.

Also finished Kororinpa Marble Saga. I loved those old wooden labyrinth games and Marble Saga was perfect. It got really tough!

I’m playing through Trauma Center New Blood and I’m really enjoying it. The gameplay is really cool. It’s difficult but the sort of difficulty that makes me want to try again and again. The “visual novel” aspect is good too, especially the voice acting. I’m surprised how good the VAs are!

I got Mercy Meltdown Revolution at a thrift store for 4 bux and played a bit. I really like it’s vibe and the gameplay is really cool. It’s really impressive how natural the gyroscope feels in that one.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
Hello, I am on 3DS firmware 11.16.0-49U and Luma 13.0.2 , is it safe to update the 3DS firmware? y/n

apologies, i am not feeling well

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

wizard2 posted:

Hello, I am on 3DS firmware 11.16.0-49U and Luma 13.0.2 , is it safe to update the 3DS firmware? y/n

apologies, i am not feeling well

Yes, that is the latest Luma, so it's safe to update the official firmware.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Are there guides for homebrewing 360s? I just got a free one, a Xenon, and I'm not sure where to go with it. Need to fix a RRoD and see what else is wrong with it first I suppose.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought a New 3DS XL today, and part of the bargaining with it was that it has some manner of homebrew on it, which the PO claims made it crash a lot. He "removed" it, but if I hold select while booting, I still get kicked to a Luma3DS screen. I have no idea what he did to "remove" the homebrew, nor do I really have any idea if it was ever working correctly.

The console has a 32GB microSD card in it, but I have no clue what is/isnt on it yet, but I'll pop it in a PC later.

What is my best bet for just starting over with a fresh homebrew install on this thing, given its at least partially homebrewed already? I really just want to get to a known good state with it, and the 3DS.hacks guide warns that just factory resetting it could brick it at this point? https://3ds.hacks.guide/uninstall-cfw.html

Any hot tips for me?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I would start with following a guide for updating homebrew. It has the custom firmware on it, the rest is just stuff you put on the SD card that the homebrew stuff reads.

Edit: Follow this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/checking-for-cfw

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Check your settings menu, it should have both the system software version and the Luma version of the console's still modded. You can remove the softmod, it basically involves using a homebrew tool to restore a backup of your console's NAND from before it was modded. I dunno what your friend actually did, but he probably just deleted any homebrew software on there (or maybe just whatever he thought was causing the crashing) and called it a day.

But yeah, check your Luma version against what the guide tells you is current, then update if you need to. Then if you decide you want homebrew software look for the section of the guide that involves getting the Homebrew Channel and FBI up and running.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I bought it off some rando on Facebook marketplace, so I don’t really know what was done (I get the feeling he didn’t even know) and I for sure don’t have a nand backup

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

I would start with following a guide for updating homebrew. It has the custom firmware on it, the rest is just stuff you put on the SD card that the homebrew stuff reads.

Edit: Follow this: https://3ds.hacks.guide/checking-for-cfw

This did the trick. The cause of the crashing was a faulty SD card that would only read about 20% of the time in both the 3DS and my PC. I put a new card in, followed the directions to set up the SD card again, and all seems to be well

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

It's easy to forget that the custom firmware is not just files on the SD card. I transferred a hacked old 2DS to a different device years ago and then formatted the SD, factory reset it and left it at that.

I picked it up again this year so I could get it ready for my brother's kids. I was going to to treat it as a 'clean' device, but turned out I could skip a couple steps in the 3DS Hacks guide.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

What is some homebrew for the 3DS that lets you play a 2d game in stereoscopic 3d? I feel like I recall Quake being playable in 3D? Perhaps DOOM? Maybe not?

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Edit: Wrong thread

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 22, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

What is some homebrew for the 3DS that lets you play a 2d game in stereoscopic 3d? I feel like I recall Quake being playable in 3D? Perhaps DOOM? Maybe not?

I don't think anything like that exists or can exist. To make 3D work on the device you need the game to output two images at once, which means splitting up parts of what is meant to come out in two separate layers. You could do that from scratch, but not apply it to something that already exists. DOOM may be an exception because it's open source and people love to do things to that engine.

Even Nintendo re-releasing some basic NES games with 3D effect had to stop it shortly after because they complained how much work it was for very little return. A shame because the NES Kirby in 3D is the best version of that game ever made.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think anything like that exists or can exist.

there is a NES emulator that does something along those lines, but it requires some setup per-game and doesn't have a 3DS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDefzu45jc4

you can play it in VR with stereoscopic rendering

repiv fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 22, 2023

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Saoshyant posted:

Even Nintendo re-releasing some basic NES games with 3D effect had to stop it shortly after because they complained how much work it was for very little return. A shame because the NES Kirby in 3D is the best version of that game ever made.

I’m still upset they didn’t get to do Yoshi’s Island like they hinted on doing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Saoshyant posted:

I don't think anything like that exists or can exist. To make 3D work on the device you need the game to output two images at once, which means splitting up parts of what is meant to come out in two separate layers. You could do that from scratch, but not apply it to something that already exists. DOOM may be an exception because it's open source and people love to do things to that engine.

Streets of Rage II 3D is still the definitive version of that game as well :(

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Streets of Rage II 3D is still the definitive version of that game as well :(

Well, yeah, but M2 are wizards at what they do and the games they worked on for the three different Sega classics collections done over a period of about two years? All done manually with the source code and being paid to do so. And not that many games when you count them all together.

repiv posted:

there is a NES emulator that does something along those lines, but it requires some setup per-game and doesn't have a 3DS version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDefzu45jc4

you can play it in VR with stereoscopic rendering

This is nifty at least.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Quake and Doom are 3d games; so if the question was if there are ports that bring stereoscopic 3d to otherwise "flat" games, I would recommend the Mario 64 port for 3DS, as well as OpenLara for 3DS, though I haven't played through more than the first level of that.

Edit: and yeah, PrBoom for Doom

Manky fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 22, 2023

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
was gifted a pair of Wiis. want to home brew at least one of them... lots of homebrew stuff out there, but wondered if there is a best beginners guide i could be directed to?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Get thee to https://wii.hacks.guide

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I always just go on youtube and search "Wii Homebrew *Current Year*" Though I'd probably go with 2023 since it just became 2024.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

hell yes. what i was hoping to find, thanks!

Cojawfee posted:

I always just go on youtube and search "Wii Homebrew *Current Year*" Though I'd probably go with 2023 since it just became 2024.

ha, true. that's how i figured out how to mod a PSClassic.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
So with my switch which I recently discovered is moddable, do I need anything (other than the hacks guide and the RCM jig I also have) to install homebrew on it so I can scrape my TotK save and transfer it over to the emulated version on my PC?

Is there anything to be aware of during the process? I know that I'll need to wipe my SD card at some point so I should back up my photos on there - my nephew learned this the hard way - or is there any point to getting a separate SD card just for homebrew related things?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

If you use a seperate SD card just for homebrew stuff you can then just run the CFW and utilities you need off the SD card and swap back to your main card when you're done and return your Switch to stock form. If you're just using it to grab saves that's probably the best way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Do we have a separate thread for Steam Deck getting things working? Been struggling figuring out Xenia since I want to install Geometry Wars 2.