Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Milo and POTUS posted:

I like that engi weapon where it bleeds for anti spy work it's hilarious to me and it's awesome when it works.

Usually they just shoot them

shooting them is better because being in melee with a spy is a cointoss, regardless of their skill level and yours.

That said SH is basically just a straight upgrade over the stock wrench so might as well use it lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the best use of the red tape is to piss off gunslinger engineers that rely on dropping their mini sentry wherever they happen to be fighting right now

all that extra time it takes to destroy the building is a feature, buddy

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I don't think I've used the Southern Hospitality or the stock wrench in a long time. I almost always want the Jag or the Eureka Effect (especially the Eureka Effect) any time I'm playing not-Mini-Sentry Engineer. Being able to teleport back to spawn to swap out for the Frontier Justice is just too good.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Engi is such a cool class and one of these days I'm going to play as him

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I don't think I've used the Southern Hospitality or the stock wrench in a long time. I almost always want the Jag or the Eureka Effect (especially the Eureka Effect) any time I'm playing not-Mini-Sentry Engineer. Being able to teleport back to spawn to swap out for the Frontier Justice is just too good.

On a whim a couple months ago I bought myself a Strange Killstreak Wrench and honestly it's just really solid for a defense oriented build, particularly when paired with the Rescue Ranger(though unlike a lot of Engineer players I don't usually use the Wrangler in the same loadout as the RR*, I find that having both just leaves you too vulnerable to Spies and other flankers, carrying a pistol adds a layer of needed security, especially since Engineer has effectively unlimited ammo with the thing) you can tank a downright stupid amount of damage with a full clip of RR ammo and the Stock Wrench in conjunction(especially if there's a metal pack or dispenser nearby for you to top up partway through

*I firmly believe they could add the Rescue Ranger to the whitelist of allowed ranged weapons to Medieval Mode and it would change almost nothing regarding the mode's balance due to how weak of a weapon it is(when removing its standard utility), would be kind of fun though(and give Engineer something to do in MM)

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Evil Kit posted:

shooting them is better because being in melee with a spy is a cointoss, regardless of their skill level and yours.

That said SH is basically just a straight upgrade over the stock wrench so might as well use it lol

It’s fun to watch good spies who know how to abuse backstabs just walk through a team that all try to kill the spy with their own melee. Shooting is always an advantage to someone who knows a spy is in play. I mainly play solider and scout, and a spy typically has to really outplay me if I know they are around. I rarely get “face stabbed” because I don’t try to get near other players because I can just shoot them with safe stand off.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Played a match on lakeside last night and the other team went 8 spys. It was hilarious, guy's on comms being like "do NOT melee them" which obviously everybody wants to beat a spy in a melee fight. One of the funniest matches I've ever played

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"don't engage the spies at close range!"
Pyros: "huddah mmmph huhhhhhh"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Evil Kit posted:

Having a bunch of buildings to constrain spy movement does make smacking spies a bit less risky, at least until they start climbing your buildings and then all bets are off.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s fun to watch good spies who know how to abuse backstabs just walk through a team that all try to kill the spy with their own melee. Shooting is always an advantage to someone who knows a spy is in play. I mainly play solider and scout, and a spy typically has to really outplay me if I know they are around. I rarely get “face stabbed” because I don’t try to get near other players because I can just shoot them with safe stand off.

If I see one of those spies on the enemy team buzzsawing their way through my team with the kunai (are spies even allowed to use any other knife now?) I drop everything, switch to backburner pyro, and make it my entire job to shut them down. Kunai's one of those weapons that, when you're facing an enemy using it, penalizes you for having an unaware team through no fault of your own. The only way to salvage the situation is to sit on them until they switch classes or quit. The backburner has enough raw damage to burn through the 210 health spies, even through the Dead Ringer (which they always use.)

I also spent one round of Thundermountain, on defense at the last point, doing literally nothing but airblasting a Kunai spy off the top. I didn't even chase him to kill him, just knocked him off the tower. We won and he ragequit as the game reset back to the first point. Felt good.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Kunai is pretty much the best/only really usable knife against any team that remotely pays attention considering how you're usually dead if you get caught at this point without the dead ringer often anyway. And even if the team isn't paying attention that just means the Kunai is even better because it means infinite health effectively.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I like that the shortstop's animation was never revisited after they changed it and now the scout reloads it at elderly speed

Honestly they should just buff the reload speed and that alone would fix most of the gameplay and visual issues with the weapon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Please tell me someone else got fleeced by the crafting poo poo initially right? So when I realized that all the cosmetic items I had on my characters to this point were halloween only, I kinda got bummed and decided I wanted something to wear. I don't want to spend money if at all possible, so when I saw the "craft class headgear" I got kinda excited and said oh well I'll at least settle for a hat. Maybe I'll get lucky and get the hot dog one because it's cute and funny (truthfully, I want the cool cats cardigan, but beggars can't be choosers). So I went through and pruned my inventory, using up several pages of items. I didn't have any metal at all because I play pretty off and on and usually I'll just craft a weapon if I want to try it which doesn't take that much. I used a shocking amount of my items and it was pretty difficult since so many of them had the not tradeable quality so I didn't want to use them. Anyway, I go through all that poo poo, click craft and eagerly await at least something to wear on my head since, yknow "headgear" and... I got the ugliest loving pair of shoes I've ever seen in my life. I think we can all agree, shoes are pretty much the polar opposite of a hat.

I have absolutely no idea how cometics and poo poo work in this game because I've never hitherto used it. I did watch this pretty decent little vid on strange and and unusual poo poo but I have no idea how any of the stuff with warpaints and keys works. I assume I buy keys and use them on my cosmetic cases and hope I get something useful? Like you get a paint and apply it to a weapon you get randomly or craft? Other than a couple cosmetics for the scout I'm looking to do something with my current loadout (shortstop, flying guillotine, wrap assassin) which should simplify things. I'm watching a video now on the economy poo poo and I think I would have gotten more value just holding onto the refined metal? As for the shoes, at least I can sell them I assume. Probably for not much from the looks of things though

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

I also spent one round of Thundermountain, on defense at the last point, doing literally nothing but airblasting a Kunai spy off the top. I didn't even chase him to kill him, just knocked him off the tower. We won and he ragequit as the game reset back to the first point. Felt good.

Airblasting idiots is the most fun you have as pyro and that includes landing crits with the flare guns and ambushing the entire enemy team with the backburner

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

It's been a few years since I've used it, but in the past the pro move is to buy a key, turn it into refined metal at https://scrap.tf/, then use the refined metal for whatever hats you want.

They don't have everything but there's usually a pretty varied selection, and you can get a bunch of non-unusuals for a single key and the whole process is automated. Unusuals, stranges and other rarer stuff costs more. You can also sell unwanted cosmetics like the shoes, though I don't know what the returns are like.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Please tell me someone else got fleeced by the crafting poo poo initially right? So when I realized that all the cosmetic items I had on my characters to this point were halloween only, I kinda got bummed and decided I wanted something to wear. I don't want to spend money if at all possible, so when I saw the "craft class headgear" I got kinda excited and said oh well I'll at least settle for a hat. Maybe I'll get lucky and get the hot dog one because it's cute and funny (truthfully, I want the cool cats cardigan, but beggars can't be choosers). So I went through and pruned my inventory, using up several pages of items. I didn't have any metal at all because I play pretty off and on and usually I'll just craft a weapon if I want to try it which doesn't take that much. I used a shocking amount of my items and it was pretty difficult since so many of them had the not tradeable quality so I didn't want to use them. Anyway, I go through all that poo poo, click craft and eagerly await at least something to wear on my head since, yknow "headgear" and... I got the ugliest loving pair of shoes I've ever seen in my life. I think we can all agree, shoes are pretty much the polar opposite of a hat.

I have absolutely no idea how cometics and poo poo work in this game because I've never hitherto used it. I did watch this pretty decent little vid on strange and and unusual poo poo but I have no idea how any of the stuff with warpaints and keys works. I assume I buy keys and use them on my cosmetic cases and hope I get something useful? Like you get a paint and apply it to a weapon you get randomly or craft? Other than a couple cosmetics for the scout I'm looking to do something with my current loadout (shortstop, flying guillotine, wrap assassin) which should simplify things. I'm watching a video now on the economy poo poo and I think I would have gotten more value just holding onto the refined metal? As for the shoes, at least I can sell them I assume. Probably for not much from the looks of things though

Look, don't craft any hats, I feel bad about the Bootenkhamuns, but if you end up with a surfeit of metal just go on backpack.tf and look for something you like, the average cosmetic will probably cost less than 2 refined metal.

I hope you didn't craft away anything valuable in the process, people can often not be aware that some of the stuff they have is worth tens of thousands of Bootenkhamuns. If you are going to buy keys, don't use them to actually open crates, it'll never work out, just trade them for stuff you actually want, the average key can be sold for 64 refined metal which is more than enough to fully kit out every class with some cheap cosmetics (and of course cheap does not mean ugly, quite the opposite often) with some very straightforward trading.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Normal looking boots are "ugly" now? They look fine to me. They look like boots.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

khwarezm posted:

Look, don't craft any hats, I feel bad about the Bootenkhamuns, but if you end up with a surfeit of metal just go on backpack.tf and look for something you like, the average cosmetic will probably cost less than 2 refined metal.

I hope you didn't craft away anything valuable in the process, people can often not be aware that some of the stuff they have is worth tens of thousands of Bootenkhamuns. If you are going to buy keys, don't use them to actually open crates, it'll never work out, just trade them for stuff you actually want, the average key can be sold for 64 refined metal which is more than enough to fully kit out every class with some cheap cosmetics (and of course cheap does not mean ugly, quite the opposite often) with some very straightforward trading.

Good news is I doubt I had anything like that. But if I deviate from the few classes I actually play I'm kinda lean for months. To add real insult to injury the hot dog hat isn't even scout specific; I've just never seen anyone else wearing them.

Reiley posted:

Normal looking boots are "ugly" now? They look fine to me. They look like boots.

There's really no accounting for taste and I mean that in the least confrontational way possible. For god's sake I wanted to wear a hot dog hat what do I know about style.

...you wanna buy some boots

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

the holy poopacy posted:

Having a bunch of buildings to constrain spy movement does make smacking spies a bit less risky, at least until they start climbing your buildings and then all bets are off.

TF2 is a horror game

khwarezm posted:

Look, don't craft any hats, just go on backpack.tf and look for something you like, the average cosmetic will probably cost less than 2 refined metal.

:hmmyes: I've had good experiences with scrap.tf

Milo and POTUS posted:

Good news is I doubt I had anything like that.

Bet you had some green promo tie in gear

Milo and POTUS posted:

For god's sake I wanted to wear a hot dog hat what do I know about style.

...you wanna buy some boots

Good news:
https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Bootenkhamuns/Tradable/Craftable
https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Hot%20Dogger/Tradable/Craftable

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah 5 to 20 bucks on one of the item trading sites can get you a lot of the cheaper hats

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

So yeah, can't apply warpaints to strange weapons. Not that big a deal, I'm only out about a buck and a quarter, but still frustrating. Can you apply a strange warpaint to an already strange weapon or will it destroy the weapon and presumably its stats? Or do you apply a strange warpaint to a normal weapon? I know 90% of it is that I've never messed around with this sort of poo poo in games before but honestly I am completely confused by everything about this stuff.

CaptianKatsura
Feb 28, 2011

I'm not Katsura, I'm Captain Katsura!

Milo and POTUS posted:

So yeah, can't apply warpaints to strange weapons. Not that big a deal, I'm only out about a buck and a quarter, but still frustrating. Can you apply a strange warpaint to an already strange weapon or will it destroy the weapon and presumably its stats? Or do you apply a strange warpaint to a normal weapon? I know 90% of it is that I've never messed around with this sort of poo poo in games before but honestly I am completely confused by everything about this stuff.

War Paints don't actually apply to an existing weapon, instead they create a brand new weapon with that skin. So a Strange Warpaint will give you a Strange Weapon with that skin. Kill Count Transfer tools work just fine between Painted and Unpainted weapons, though if your unpainted strange had any bonus tracking parts, you'll need to apply those parts to the painted strange before transferring.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hm guess I could probably lower the price by a nickel and sell these back off presumably (after the trade hold wears off)? Would make most of my money back. Then I could just flip it for a strange paint I guess? It's weird I've been learning more poo poo about this every day for a week now I guess and the more I learn the more I'm confused. It really does feel like it was designed to separate morons (me) from their money. But I'll be damned if anyone keeps me from my ideal outfit. Maybe my bank.

If I trade for stuff on backpack using keys as currency, do I get change in ref?

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

People will give you change in ref yeah, and ref is useful for getting a bunch of cheap but still pretty good cosmetics imo.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah that's something I definitely noticed. If you're not searching for strange or unusuals a lot of the basic cosmetics are downright affordable. I might be able to get kitted out for a single key, but I'll probably drop at least a part of my second for the flapjack which looks badass

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Most of the really expensive cosmetics were either limited box releases or game promotion events that never got integrated into the base game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Okay, probably last question on the topic for the foreseeable future at least on this matter* and I'm asking here because I got the strange warpaint of my choice and while it wasn't expensive, I'd hate to fritter away 9 bucks by being stupid and impulsive. I simply have to use the strange warpaint and select the weapon I want from a list to have it created? I do read other places too and that's the impression I've gotten but better safe than sorry I feel, especially with actual money in the mix. I did check out youtube on the subject but almost all the results are about creating your own warpaints and top 10 lists and the reddit subjects on the matter are slightly better but without being able to participate in the conversation it feels less certain in a way that's probably all in my head.

*validity subject to my stupidity.

e: I found one on youtube, wrong search term. Tried "redeeming' instead of "using". Ignore me. Or comment, I'm not your boss

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Feb 15, 2024

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.
If you inspect the war paint you can see what it looks like on each weapon before you apply it permanently - you can do this from the Steam market too. Paints of the same quality still have variations in patterns and decal placement so you might not want to just go for the cheapest one

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah that's what started this whole endeavor, I was messing around with the warpaints tab in items and it gave me a stupid idea to waste more money. But you know what, I got my ideal weapon loadout and had a great game yesterday immediately after kitting up so I like to think it's helping even though we lost (nearly 4k damage as scout, usually I'm lucky to get half that). Kept missing cleavers though, feels bad.

I know that factory new tends to go for more generally but does anyone else think that swashbuckled look so much better battle scarred? It's pirate themed, it should be rough around the edges! And also a little bloody. I'm gonna get a detonator at some point because while I love making snipers whine with SS, I'd rather be kind to all the other classes plus the mobility is nice on a class that could use it, especially if you do backburner like I do. Plus it looks... just so loving cool.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

Kind of a crappy angle but I think my scattergun wouldn't look as cool in FN, it's definitely got a theme

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

What the gently caress am I looking at? Tf2 got weird

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

they added those dumb counterstrike weapon skin things at some point

i keep forgetting they exist because they don't work in directx 8 mode so i have literally never seen one in game

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

cock hero flux posted:

they added those dumb counterstrike weapon skin things at some point

i keep forgetting they exist because they don't work in directx 8 mode so i have literally never seen one in game

excuse me you play in what? :stonk:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Evil Kit posted:

excuse me you play in what? :stonk:

This game is pretty accessible to people with potato-tier computers if you turn all the graphics down. Either that, or they're doing it for tryhard reasons; lower graphics = more frames, etc. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i got into the habit of turning my graphics all the way down for performance reasons in every game a long time ago

in theory my computer is now good enough that i should be able to handle most games at medium-high settings but i usually don't bother because i'm too used to it to care

it was also partially for tryhard reasons because i played one season as the bad scout on a ugc steel 6s team and i never changed my settings afterward

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 17, 2024

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

i got into the habit of turning my graphics all the way down for performance reasons in every game a long time ago

in theory my computer is now good enough that i should be able to handle most games at medium-high settings but i usually don't bother because i'm too used to it to care

it was also partially for tryhard reasons because i played one season as the bad scout on a ugc steel 6s team and i never changed my settings afterward

Be kinder to yourself. It's the 2020s.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Reiley posted:

Be kinder to yourself. It's the 2020s.

at some point i began to subconsciously associate the absence of jaggies with bad framerate and now having anti-aliasing turned on makes things look "worse" to me, so i'm afraid that i'm beyond saving

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Yeah you can at least play a different map

Dabir posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at? Tf2 got weird

I assume they'd been in since near the beginning but turns out they're a much later addition

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

ChaseSP posted:

Kunai is pretty much the best/only really usable knife against any team that remotely pays attention considering how you're usually dead if you get caught at this point without the dead ringer often anyway. And even if the team isn't paying attention that just means the Kunai is even better because it means infinite health effectively.

Nah, the big earner is up there, since the speed boost and cloak gains let you get sick chainstabs quick in and out kills on higher value targets

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The kunai is almost definitely the best option but the Go Fast Knife isn't far enough behind that you're just hosed if you use it, and I've definitely gotten a lot of picks with it that I wouldn't have otherwise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

All the knives are varying degrees of good except for the Your Eternal Reward and even that I wouldn't call bad just that it's a gimmick that's held down a bit too much by its downsides

Really Spy doesn't have any unusably bad weapons aside from maybe the Red Tape Recorder