Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

All the knives are varying degrees of good except for the Your Eternal Reward and even that I wouldn't call bad just that it's a gimmick that's held down a bit too much by its downsides

Really Spy doesn't have any unusably bad weapons aside from maybe the Red Tape Recorder

the enforcer is currently in a position where it is technically not that bad but trying to make use of its upsides feels terrible and awkward so it is effectively just stock with worse firing speed. stock with worse firing speed isn't unusable because stock is pretty good but you will never be able to come up with an answer for "why am I using this instead of any other revolver?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the Enforcer should have Silent Killer if you get the kill with your damage-boosted shot

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

drrockso20 posted:

All the knives are varying degrees of good except for the Your Eternal Reward and even that I wouldn't call bad just that it's a gimmick that's held down a bit too much by its downsides

YER has one great niche: stabbing people in front of a sentry. The instant redisguise fools the sentry, which means you don't have to sap it and have the engineer vocally announce your presence to their team. It's great for killing snipers... until they put on the Immune-To-Your-Class secondary, anyways.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

you could instantly fix the enforcer by adding "no damage falloff while disguised" because this would not only put it over the threshold for 2-shotting light classes at a reasonable distance but also make it noticeably better at what seems to be its intended gimmick: hanging around in disguise and picking off retreating, wounded enemies from mid-range.

as it stands its has exactly two uses: you can 2 shot light classes if you are literally clipping into their model when you shoot them(ie: oblivious razorback snipers) and loving over wrangler engineers. the first one is something that the ambassador and diamondback already do better and the second one is something that most people seem to not know even exists and it's very rare that you get an opportunity to do it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I’m not sure it’s worth upgrading your graphics capabilities so you can see a bunch of weird particle effects attached to random weapons and hats.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ariong posted:

I’m not sure it’s worth upgrading your graphics capabilities so you can see a bunch of weird particle effects attached to random weapons and hats.

the hat effects all work(most of the time), just not the weapons

Butt Detective
Mar 24, 2013

Only the dead can know peace from these hats.

cock hero flux posted:

at some point i began to subconsciously associate the absence of jaggies with bad framerate and now having anti-aliasing turned on makes things look "worse" to me, so i'm afraid that i'm beyond saving

I had the opposite thing lol, I first started playing the game on a Packard Bell laptop with an integrated graphics card in 2013 and had to use a config that made everything look like N64 graphics, but I still struggled to break 10 fps. So now when I see screenshots of the insane configs that some comp players have, I cannot picture it running smoothly at all, I just imagine a slideshow.

It says something about how enjoyable I found the game that I still played it even though my laptop could not handle it whatsoever :v:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
YER is a great knife imo. Pubs are uncoordinated enough to where you can go on massive killing sprees without worry. While the kunai is probably better at that, it's easier to get into position due to better health.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

If I have "auto-join when a slot is free" for a server, why does it automatically join the server I just left instead of the server I want to join? That is extremely annoying, and was not a problem a few years ago.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sankara posted:

If I have "auto-join when a slot is free" for a server, why does it automatically join the server I just left instead of the server I want to join? That is extremely annoying, and was not a problem a few years ago.

does it? i've had it appear to be doing this but then it actually puts me in the correct server, it's just the loading screen that was wrong

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.
does TF2 still have huge endemic bot problem? my kid wants to play and I don't know any dedicated servers. If so, not going to bother.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Casual, you bet.

Generally speaking, the uncletopia servers seem pretty mild or at least no worse than anything you'd find in most other popular online games. We had a kid playing with us just yesterday who didn't know about overhealing and why 2 pills didn't kill x class.

I have noticed that every few weeks the bots change names, you could probably label the months by the bot names. Last month was the month of perry the platypus, but now is the time of techno viking

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

UltraShame posted:

does TF2 still have huge endemic bot problem? my kid wants to play and I don't know any dedicated servers. If so, not going to bother.

Play on uncletopia, now you know of several.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also just going to the community browser and joining random servers, most of them dont really have bot problems. the bots only really infest the automatic queue.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Bots are indeed still around but they aren't omnipresent in casual either so casual can definitely still be playable

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

drrockso20 posted:

Bots are indeed still around but they aren't omnipresent in casual either so casual can definitely still be playable

I'd definitely say it's the majority of casual games. Vast majority at non peak hours, but even at the best times you're gonna have to boot a few. Oddly enough I think some tried to join an uncletopia server and got booted instantly but nobody said anything about it and I had tabbed out because I was respawning

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd definitely say it's the majority of casual games. Vast majority at non peak hours, but even at the best times you're gonna have to boot a few. Oddly enough I think some tried to join an uncletopia server and got booted instantly but nobody said anything about it and I had tabbed out because I was respawning

I'm only really counting matches where bots are numerous enough that it becomes impossible to get rid of them, assuming a reasonably full server one or two bots at a time are usually not too hard to deal with, like yeah it is still a bit of a nuisance but hardly game ruining

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Play on community servers. Uncletopia's where the people who're a bit better and try a bit harder are, Skial's usually where more casual or gimmick-focused players go.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Does anyone know if it's possible to change the UI scaling for things like the server browser? I got a new laptop, and since it has a screen resolution of Jesus gently caress, all of the text is microscopic.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SfsJ0X-2fk

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
that demo's a bloody spy

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

This game is the peak of comedy and you will never convince me otherwise.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...150c94ca2ff82e&

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
Apparently you can add gifs to objectors now and there is also crash servers/gamers with this same new cool thing..

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues/5603

Some methods on how to counter this exploit on github but hey maybe with this they will prioritize the 64bit release of tf2 :unsmith:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I loving knew it. I've been getting that error a lot lately, sending me into a mild panic. They're gonna need to remedy it immediately or the bots will truly finish the game off, not even kidding.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
i was bored so i watched that History of The Scout video from a week ago and it has brennon murphy, daniel, and orzo in it lol. LCs never die

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What's an LC? I kinda love tf2 youtube stuff. Both people breaking down the game as well as character stuff. The classes all have such charm that you can do pretty much anything with them, it's great.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the LCs (lost continents) were the goon server/community for TF2 that lasted a long while. the people I named were all players from that community who all played at a high competitive level

e: this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gTN3Is_PA4

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Yeah I've seen at least one server(Shounic's 100 player server) temporarily disable the sign because of that exploit

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

being able to crash any casual server with a funny sign is probably going to be the death knell for casual

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I came up with the rough idea for the FaN, and then when valve made it and it was kind of lame, I told them what to change and they did that too.

*And by Valve I mean the one TF2 guy who posted on these forums
**And I'm sure that other people came up with the same kind of idea in parallel

I feel like I have to remind everyone every few years.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

resistentialism posted:

I came up with the rough idea for the FaN, and then when valve made it and it was kind of lame, I told them what to change and they did that too.

*And by Valve I mean the one TF2 guy who posted on these forums
**And I'm sure that other people came up with the same kind of idea in parallel

I feel like I have to remind everyone every few years.

ahaha timestamp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gTN3Is_PA4&t=2156s

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Bots down, better play!

e: I think it even plays better but that might just be because I'm in a good mood

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 19, 2024

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Oh god it runs so smooth!

Uncletopia servers are down :smith:

Warpy
May 24, 2003

"KABOOOOM!"
Valve
Added 64-bit support for Windows/Linux client and server
Should include performance improvements for most users
Bugs can be reported here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Source-1-Games/issues

Fixed an exploit related to uploading invalid custom decals that would crash other clients

The future is now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hihohe posted:

Oh god it runs so smooth!

Uncletopia servers are down :smith:

That's why everyone's kicking the poo poo out of me in casual. I mean more than usual

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Wow, they actually fixed it. I was expecting several years to go by.

bertolt rekt
Jul 30, 2007

Remember when there were only three alternative weapons for each class and they got released one class at a time months apart? You had to get achievements to unlock them.

That was 15 years ago I’m so old

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

tf2 doesn’t use hl2.exe anymore

because of woke

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Now they should add two more cosmetics slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Well the bots are back. It was fun while it lasted.