Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nah, this change is fairer than what was proposed. People were worried about the loss of the 100% accuracy.

If it was up to me, I'd just change the crits to minicrits after a certain amount of distance, but eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The things I like in this: Pocket Pistol change, Righteous Bison returns, Cow Mangler finally not a liability to my team if a Medic doesn't remember its bizarre and obscure quirk

Changes that baffle me: I had to look up the Razorback and Eviction Notice to see if they were changed in the intervening years worthy of nerfing them, and I just forgot or didn't notice. The Razorback wasn't, and while I never played 6v6 I cannot possibly imagine the Razorback was a problem item in any scenario ever. The Eviction Notice was, and it seems maybe a little harsh for what it is but maybe I'd get it a little more if I had played. I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

nerdbot posted:

The things I like in this: Pocket Pistol change, Righteous Bison returns, Cow Mangler finally not a liability to my team if a Medic doesn't remember its bizarre and obscure quirk

Changes that baffle me: I had to look up the Razorback and Eviction Notice to see if they were changed in the intervening years worthy of nerfing them, and I just forgot or didn't notice. The Razorback wasn't, and while I never played 6v6 I cannot possibly imagine the Razorback was a problem item in any scenario ever. The Eviction Notice was, and it seems maybe a little harsh for what it is but maybe I'd get it a little more if I had played. I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

Razorback issue was highlander actually. But then the change they made makes it objectively worse for both competitive and for regular gameplay. Hmm...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

the shield regenerating is kinda convenient i guess

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the shield regenerating is kinda convenient i guess

In a pub the spy just shoots you. That's not something that happened in competitive, where the sniper was the one getting pocketed.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I haven't really played this game since the dev team forgot what fun is and broke the bison. The jetpack's a good sign though. Maybe I'll finally make it to 2500.

and this is after I reset my playtime due to using the auto-idler back in the day :shepicide:

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My friends tear into me for the amount of hours I've clocked in TF2 and I always attempt to justify it with "500 of those hours were on idle servers!" as if that makes anything better.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Your friends should be jealous that there is nothing in their world as worthy of such devotion of energy as TF2 used to be.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Spy changes: mostly bad, the ambassador did not need to be nerfed at all. dead ringer change is ok i guess but at the same time I'm used to dealing with DR spies

Scout changes: almost all bad, or pointless. Why bother changing Bonk? Easily the most pointless change here. Sandman and guillotine changes suck too.

Soldier changes: These ones are alright actually. Idk about the base jumper but the mantreads buff seems reasonable

Sniper: you know what else helps the sniper deal with long range flares and fire fights? jarate.

Medic: I don't see the reasoning behind the crossbow change considering the shot is definitely a skill shot and pretty situational. Vita-saw change seems clunky but w/e

Heavy: good changes except gently caress you for touching the Fists of Steel which was absolutely fine

Engineer: gently caress these changes, thanks for making the Rescue Ranger absolutely useless.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

mabels big day posted:

Engineer: gently caress these changes, thanks for making the Rescue Ranger absolutely useless.

yes, thanks Valve for nerfing this awful gun into the ground. namaste

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i am really going to miss the rescue ranger but lol if you didnt think it was an absolutely insane beast that needed nerfing

FalloutGod
Dec 14, 2006
Playing defense engineer is a massive drag. I dunno how anyone does it.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I am hugely excited by this! So many changes means they are paying attention to things and trying new things out. Maybe some will stick and some will not, but as a regular OK player these changes are very welcome.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Weeping Wound posted:

and this is after I reset my playtime due to using the auto-idler back in the day :shepicide:
What? How?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Reset playtime? Or idle program?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

nerdbot posted:

I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

It does also have the advantage that you get the extended melee range (which with TF2's janky melee is a big advantage) without it reducing your health or making you not have any ammo etc.. 15% damage vulnerability isn't too bad. If you don't wanna go full flying rear end in a top hat with the pan you can use the claymor and give it a new angle.

Also I feel like the demo should have a melee that does more damage the lower health you have like soldier and sniper.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

It does also have the advantage that you get the extended melee range (which with TF2's janky melee is a big advantage) without it reducing your health or making you not have any ammo etc.. 15% damage vulnerability isn't too bad. If you don't wanna go full flying rear end in a top hat with the pan you can use the claymor and give it a new angle.

Also I feel like the demo should have a melee that does more damage the lower health you have like soldier and sniper.

Hey you know what, that's not a particularly call for how to use that thing. Well I'll be.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Honestly though the persuader's going to be just as viable for that after the update, you'll only have 8+14 sticky jumper bombs but that's more than enough to get around with even if you can't pick up any ammo from places other than your lockers. If I were going to rebalance the claymore myself I'd make it just take longer to recharge the charge, but also increase the amount you get back from melee kills and get rid of the 15% higher damage taken. That way the main downside only affects the weapon when you're taking advantage of the perk too, but it just having a longer melee range is balanced out by taking longer to whip it out. rather than basically giving you about 150 health without saying you have 150 health..

Granted if I did that, I'd also wanna change the persuader back to increasing charge rate and ammo becoming health. since that was also an interesting way to play with the sticky jumper. But you'd have the claymore for if you still want to be able to rely on your grenade launcher too..

I'd probably go mad with power if I could affect changes on weapons though, I have lots of ideas that would be fun but also probably quite dumb. Restore the caber.

That said I'm glad they finally got the idea to give the pyro a jarate-style weapon like I said many many years ago. Though my idea was a bucket of tar and feathers rather than straight up dousing them in gasoline but the same effect applies.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Geel, of scrap.tf and various other trading related sites, posted this excerpt from a talk with Jill from Valve about competitive matchmaking and the lack of any changes being included in this update:

Might be the 2018 update...?

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Weeping Wound posted:

:toot:

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

FalloutGod posted:

The love of a sentry

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
Heavy buffs for all miniguns? :getin:

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Wow I haven't played this in like 6 years.

Knifeback mountain was such a good server (:rip:)

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mabels big day posted:

The love of a sentry

he loves that little gun a biiiit more than is natural if you ask me

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

FalloutGod posted:

You use mini sentries and play like you're on offense. Honestly it's awful how you can spend like 30 seconds building a level 3 and it'll blow up in 5 seconds if anyone so much as sneezes on it.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
I always played a defense engineer as a game of "How big of a dick can I be". Moving the sentry to weird blind spots, constantly moving it around, try to place it in odd areas, that sort of thing.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

If only they could of made thay Razorback nerf years ago.

Spy changes seem extreme for anyone who is used to dealing with spies.

Rescue Ranger nerds seem like a lot but at the same time gently caress that weapon.

I might have to come back to TF2 for a while for some MvM bison soldier shenanigans.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
How is the vita saw not just worse than the uber saw

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I am Reverend posted:

How is the vita saw not just worse than the uber saw

Maybe most relevant in competitive, make it more difficult/less predictable having the other team's medic lose all uber build by killing him.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
basically if you tag someone with the vita saw as you die you get a leg up on rebuilding your uber, which is potentially more reliable than clutch finish-building-your-charge ubersaw plays.

does it still have the health penalty? if so then it's probably not going to be a popular choice.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

nielsm posted:

Maybe most relevant in competitive, make it more difficult/less predictable having the other team's medic lose all uber build by killing him.

I mean, there are definitely scenarios where being able to bank uber for later would be advantageous--say you've won a fight and have a chance to get a couple stabs in during mop-up, and know that you're already going to have uber ready before the next fight. But that's a fairly narrow niche and the ubersaw's immediate benefit seems more broadly applicable. Particularly since it sounds like you still need to have uber built up in order to carry it over, which means if you die 5 seconds after your uber is done it's all for naught anyhow, so you're basically banking on winning two fights in a row.

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

I can't believe I'm going to be completely sober launching tf2 in tyool 2017

(PS those patch notes are surprisingly good)

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Oh my god, ahahahaha after over 7 years of bullshit, get hosed danger shield

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

I love the rescue ranger but agree that it was completely broken

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Is there more to the Rescue Ranger changes than just "repairs now cost metal?"

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

just sit next to a dispenser

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the Rescue Ranger is still very strong, it's far from ruined by this change.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Otacon posted:

Is there more to the Rescue Ranger changes than just "repairs now cost metal?"

Apparently having it equipped doubles build speed during setup time? It sounds like each wrench swing will put 50 metal into buildings instead of 25 with RR now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

nielsm posted:

Apparently having it equipped doubles build speed during setup time? It sounds like each wrench swing will put 50 metal into buildings instead of 25 with RR now.

I read that as the opposite, in that it takes twice as much metal to build. But I was probably mistaken