Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
It's Halloween season and I have good internet connection finally, so I've decided to play this again. Excited for Halloween events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Dr. Dos posted:

Medic is fun and always has been. Always dot for medic.

Back in ye olden times when folks would use voice chat regularly it was the best way to learn how to stay alive against players better than you. You get to focus on moving while your heal target worries about killing the dude shooting at you, and then they would just say "pop" and you'd pop until these things became second nature. When I was still a little baby and first started playing on the LCs I was playing medic constantly to not get my rear end beat.

It can get tiring to be the med round after round, but a map or two is plenty. The real issue now is juggling the team's need for a medic versus you yourself being the person on the team that is going to get the most done if there's a medic around. I've had too many games on like Borneo where I've said gently caress it, and stopped being the only medic to spycap because teammates do not want to go forward.

Which I think is the real difference between the game now and a decade ago. Any given team is going to have a number of players who do not want to play the map they are on and want to do the funny loadout. Your full demoknight will not put his toys away for a minute to get past a sentry nest. Your soldier has mastered rocket jumping and cannot be killed by the enemy team zooming around non-stop with the jumper but will get a kill once every 3 minutes instead of once every 3 rockets. Your scout is doing cool skateboard tricks. Then the enemy team caps first and 5 people demand a scramble because while they have no intention of doing anything to win, they absolutely refuse to lose.

Game's always had it's gimmicks, but the scout in 2007 wildly swinging a bat ineffectively at a heavy medic combo was still something the enemy needed to track and shoot.

I'm old.

Thank u for remembering tf2tags.

Sounds kind of annoying. I start playing this game again every few years. Last time I did I didn't remember the gimmicky stuff too much. But then again it was halloween and I wanted some achieves.