Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Item servers seem to be down. Guessing someone at Valve noticed what's happening.

edit: lol, some jackass on Youtube is streaming tf2 with the title "TF COMMUNITY IN DANGER! UNUSUAL GLITCH"
how exactly is the community in danger by the average joes getting their hands in some unusuals? The traders are for sure crapping their pants when their pixels suddenly lost a lot of value.

The tf2 subreddit is similar:

quote:

and the modteam would prefer it if you didn't try to spread a literal game bug that damages other people's enjoyment of the game, to those who don't yet know.
Posts explaining how to replicate the bug will be locked and/or removed depending on the context, we don't support spreading the bug in the slightest, and it's doing nothing but harming the community. Please stop.

e: Sure wish I had some low # crates. Think I traded/sold/gave them away long ago, and I only have some in the 30s-40s? Think I checked all of them and none where going for more then a few cents.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jul 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jippa posted:

People are speculating they are just going to roll every thing back.

Wouldn't that gently caress anyone who dropped real money on keys / crates? Or do they just process a refund?

What about anyone who sold crates, and possibly used that steam credit on other poo poo?

Broken Cog posted:

I'd say the enjoyment of a whole bunch of people finally getting their own shiny hat outshines the enjoyment of a few digital robber barons hoarding the entire hat supply.

Full TF2 communism now

People are joking this is the lead in to the Heavy update. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Also you're going to sit here and tell me, with a straight face, that the hat barons aren't making a ton of money off of crate sales during this whole thing? gently caress right off. I bet they did that and are waiting for the reversal since they'd get to keep crate sales income.

The only people I kinda feel sorry for are the people who are like "yeah I just unboxed/dropped money on an usual a few days ago."

lovely Wizard posted:

The main people that had tons of old crates were collectors and people who haven't played in like 7/8 years.

Those people became gods for a good 6 hours.

It sucks because that describes me, yet I had none of those crates.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

lovely Wizard posted:

Personally I love this whole mess, the tf2 trading community was heavily predicated on scamming or nickel/diming back when I actively traded and I hated most of the people I had to deal with. Burn it down.
:same:

It was exhausting to deal with when you'd just want something particular, find a trade on a trade site, only to try to get the person trying to squeeze more out of you.

A contributing factor to me never getting back in was feeling like I needed to deal with trading to get my hands on newly added weapons. I just want to play with some new toys and now I gotta jump through a bunch of hoops to auth my account for a trade site, wait for a security period, and... now I'm playing something else.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

i haven't played TF2 in an age, is there an easy way to figure out unique (functionally) weapons I'm missing, and is there an easy way to get them? How annoying are trade sites these days cause I think I've had my inventory private forever to avoid people bugging me about stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Otacon posted:

https://scrap.tf/ is still the best site i know about for completing your collection without having to deal with the worst thing about TF2 trading: the players

Unless the last time you played TF2 was before 2017 I don't think you have any new unique weapons to deal with. Pyro stuff might be the only thing new for you: Dragon's Fury, Thermal Thruster, Gas Passer, Hot Hand, and Second Banana.

Everything else I can think of has been a reskin or a reskin of a reskin.

EDIT: Before 2017, you gotta go all the way back to 2014 for new stuff:
Iron Bomber, Quickiebomb Launcher, and Panic Attack
Back Scatter, Tide Turner, B.A.S.E. Jumper, Classic, Air Strike

Yeah, I think 2014 is when I started to fall off/fall behind. Thanks!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, did the Pyro contract stuff today. Dragon's fury is weird but kind of fun and unique enough to have a niche.

I noticed there's a cool laser pistol alt for Scout and Engi, but that looks like it costs actual money/significant trade value going by the market place.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Is there anything useful I can do with old crates that only sell for like 3 cents on the marketplace? Doesn't look like I can liquidate them for scrap on scrap.tf and it feels like it's gonna be a real pain to post them to the marketplace to only get 1 cent back.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

reignofevil posted:

If you're having problem with a sniper, try having a medic make you invulnerable I hear that's a good trick.

what if the enemy's medic ubers their sniper?

(You reminded me of a time I was sniping on a 24/7 2fort and my buddy decided to start healing and ubering me to make the other teams snipers salty)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

pokchu posted:

!scrimbo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdo7qvLEHog

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Yeah, doublecross always felt to me like they took 2fort and said "can we make a good map out of this?" And you know what, no they didn't because tf2's ctf is loving awful, but it's certainly better than 2fort.

Hot take, most CTF is loving awful, particularly in this day and age of matchmaking and progression/reward driven games. TF2's is still on the better side because you have community servers that don't take it particularly seriously and there's no real stakes.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Thinking about flag at home just makes me think of the days of playing WSG and like 10 minute long stalemates, and how that was the most miserable poo poo.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I hate that my brain worms are so tickled by kill tracking that I'm tempted to buy a bunch of 2-3$ stranges for weapons I -occasionally- use just cause it almost feels bad using those weapons over ones that can track kills. I even sold off a bunch of stuff from my steam inventory that I wasn't using and could afford them with wallet alone, but that's still money that could be spent on a real game. :v:

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I am here once again to complain about stranges, as Dragons' Fury is not available in strange flavor.

Let me track my kills, Gabe!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Bots have been annoying, i've definitely hit some casual servers that were infested and beyond saving, but many other times we've been able to kick the bots out and I've been making good progress on my halloween contracts.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

Can halloween contracts be done on the Uncletopia servers?

TF2 is something I've plinked away at sporadically, and want to check out the seasonal content. To my knowledge there is stuff tied to achievements/items during Halloween and Christmas. Am I missing any other events?

Contracts cant be done on community servers. And even then, it'd probably be a bit more annoying to do so, since a lot of contracts are gated behind doing other contracts, so you tend to want to focus on doing the maps you have contracts for.

Contracts are mostly for getting halloween locked cosmetics, if you don't care about that sort of thing, then "checking out the seasonal content" is mostly just playing the maps and maybe going for the achievements, which you can do on any server running the maps. (Hell, custom servers can even enable the holidays at any time, including achievements, IIRC, but contracts are controlled by Valve entirely)

I'm not aware of events outside of Halloween and Christmas, but I haven't kept up a ton.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I think the biggest thing that makes Overwatch very not TF2 is team sizes.

Like, I think team sizes actually do lead to TF2 still being more forgiving and "loose" - like I think Jack B Nimble is sort of right that times have changed, but the vibe of TF2 is still dramatically different from Overwatch because the team sizes inform such different balance. Overwatch I find I have to be incredibly mindful about engaging when a player down - getting a single pick can turn the tide of a fight. Where as TF2 I can kind of just jump into the enemy, get 2-3 kills, get blown up and the tide of battle hardly changes a lot of the time.

Ive been playing OW2 lately and I do have fun with it, but I definitely would love to see someone (if not Valve) try a shooter that's mid sized team vs mid sized team. Alternatively Valve could give TF2 the Counter Strike 2 treatment and upgrade it to Source 2 and just generally give it some first party love.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

Overwatch had so many glaring problems compared to TF2. Movement is neutered mostly. Too many long range hitscans. Too many stuns or crowd control abilities. Too much damage mitigation in shields and over powered healing even outside of ultimates. I don’t know if OW2 changed any of that, but it got further and further from a semi fun release.

I'm not sure if those are glaring problems so much as "OW is a very different game from TF2 aside from the cartoony hero shooter vibes"

It's basically an FPS moba. Stuns, mitigation, all create counterplay and space for them to have like 20+ characters. Characters are a lot more specific, and abilities are designed to interplay between characters.

Like, I sort of feel like characters like Lucio and Genji work in OW because there's counterplay to them in the form of CC. A highly mobile medic in TF2 feels like it could be really annoying with how few TF2 classes have good ways to hinder movement and how few strong hitscan weapons there are. But it's the sort of experiment I'd be very interested in seeing.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'd like to see primaries for Heavy and Sniper to support shotgun and SMG focused loadouts. Doesn't have to be anything extreme, but just something that feels like it does something useful if you want to play those gimmicks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"fat scout" is a funnier way to describe a Heavy playing with just a shotgun.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Countblanc posted:

There is zero chance a modern game would make a builder class's construct as powerful as the default sentry gun. People would riot in the e-streets if they were mulched from full hp by the auto tracking hitscan machine with 210 hp in 1.5 seconds in an e-sports shooter

So much of it is like, an overall balance and game design thing though.

TF2's maps and team sizes create a nature ebb and flow that getting punked by a sentry is annoying, but probably not going to cause the match to swing widely in an instant, and sentries being so strong helps to make battle lines where combat will focus for awhile.

Modern e-sport shooters all have like team sizes of 3-5 players, so annihlated for turning the wrong corner poses some considerably different balance issues. But also, yeah, if you want a high mobility game, or even something like Counter Strike, yeah, a sentry gun like TF2's is going to be hell.

e: Like I do kind of appreciate that Toborn needs to be actively aggressive and trying to distract players from his sentry, as opposed to just turtling up in a corner.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

what's with Dota2 and CS2 not being filled with bots in the same way TF2 is? Does Valve have better anti-cheat and moderation for those games? Are the botters just not trying as hard to sink those games?

Like, cause I'm very much in the belief that Valve just cares more about CS and Dota, probably because their respective MTX rakes in more moolah, but at the same time, I'd like to think it's just personal bias that's fueling that negativity cause it feels like TF2 is relatively easy money for Valve, so for them not to do the basic maintenance against cheaters seems shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Is that what they're trying to do for real?

... Why?
Even without hearing from the people running the bots, it's pretty obvious they're just trying to spoil the game for other people. Like, bots in most other games are either for making money (MMO farming bots) or cheating something, but that's more of the territory of like "aim bot" where it's still a player mostly at the wheel. There doesn't seem to be much to be gained by the TF2 bots, since you can just idle for items in a trade server.

TF2 bots seem to just be an automated thing designed to make the game as unplayable as possible. Maybe I just haven't played enough online games, but it feels like a very unique phenomena to load into a game, see a bunch of snipers on both teams all congregating in the middle of the map, staring at the sky, until a player has the misfortune to show up, at which point they are shot instantly. Like, bots on opposing teams aren't even fighting each other, that's how much they're set up to just spoil the fun of humans.

Then there's also the mic spamming, or the fact they aren't subtle at all. (Outside of the bots I've seen trying to direct ire towards a person making anti-botting tools by "impersonating" them.)

Like, it's not even "piss people off for content" either from what I can tell, because it's happening on such a large and consistent scale. It feels really wild.