Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

nerdbot posted:

I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

It does also have the advantage that you get the extended melee range (which with TF2's janky melee is a big advantage) without it reducing your health or making you not have any ammo etc.. 15% damage vulnerability isn't too bad. If you don't wanna go full flying rear end in a top hat with the pan you can use the claymor and give it a new angle.

Also I feel like the demo should have a melee that does more damage the lower health you have like soldier and sniper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Honestly though the persuader's going to be just as viable for that after the update, you'll only have 8+14 sticky jumper bombs but that's more than enough to get around with even if you can't pick up any ammo from places other than your lockers. If I were going to rebalance the claymore myself I'd make it just take longer to recharge the charge, but also increase the amount you get back from melee kills and get rid of the 15% higher damage taken. That way the main downside only affects the weapon when you're taking advantage of the perk too, but it just having a longer melee range is balanced out by taking longer to whip it out. rather than basically giving you about 150 health without saying you have 150 health..

Granted if I did that, I'd also wanna change the persuader back to increasing charge rate and ammo becoming health. since that was also an interesting way to play with the sticky jumper. But you'd have the claymore for if you still want to be able to rely on your grenade launcher too..

I'd probably go mad with power if I could affect changes on weapons though, I have lots of ideas that would be fun but also probably quite dumb. Restore the caber.

That said I'm glad they finally got the idea to give the pyro a jarate-style weapon like I said many many years ago. Though my idea was a bucket of tar and feathers rather than straight up dousing them in gasoline but the same effect applies.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Countblanc posted:

TF2 is suddenly detecting my ps4 controller and as soon as I join a game it locks out my mouse so I can't navigate menus (like picking a team), any idea how to disable this without just unplugging my controller every time I boot the game up

Had this happen to me before and I had no idea how to fix it. exec undo360controller, joystick 0, -nojoy, disabling my gamepad service, nothing worked. then it just stopped again.. no idea what happened. I guess i'm gonna have to buy a usb extension cable so I can unplug my controller without having to pull it out from under my desk every drat time..

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Handy hint to anyone who just started the pyro campaign. do NOT go for the gas cannister thing before the flame thrower. It doesn't recharge like mad milk or just only get one use them you need to restock it. It's dependant on damage you do. and on servers full of pyros with only the flame thrower and no secondary. you almost never get a chance to use it. I'm gonna be stuck trying to clear this one for a while. :saddowns: ...

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So I think I killed someone by air blasting their dragon's fury poof back at them. I dunno.

also, if I'm in a game, and I complete a contract goal. can I switch to another contract and activate that to start working on that one until the round ends?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I'll say one thing for the dragon's fury, it's shown me pretty quick how many pyros cannot aim worth a poo poo. Also help I can't get points for extinguishing team mates with my jetpack because all 16 of us are pyros.

edit: also, blasting people with it is really easy to me! thank god for all those games of fart cops in jaykin' bacon.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 22, 2017

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Who's sadistic idea was it to make it so you have a contract where you have to extinguish 30 people with the new jetpack when 1) they've tweaked afterburn now so people are almost never on fire more than a second or two and 2) the jetpack takes about 2+ seconds to trigger, more than double that if you're switching to it?!

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 23, 2017

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
So if you're having trouble with the 5 dragon's fury kills, on the last point of merc park, if you use the jetpack to jump up on the grates above the blu team's entrance to the last point, you can reach the final control point with your shots from there and nobody even knows you're there.

Oh and yes, enemy spies in your spawn sometimes because valve update.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Jinh posted:

Oh God no

This was a reddit post that I can't find right now, and that sub is actually insane about the events of the last week so I should have included a big grain of salt with my original post,im not sure why I took it as truth in retrospect.

Someone said that you could get his health into buffer overflow amounts, that he was unstabbable at that point and could only be killed by out of bound kill triggers.

In theory that just means a spy could backstab him enough to overflow again back into positives and then boom. Valve explodes.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I remember the first pyro update, when the back burner gave you 50+ extra health for no real reason.. Lotta loving pyros on that day too.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just played the longest game of banana bay ever, it would never end, and I finally got the last 5 kills with the dragons fury so I never need to touch that crappy airblast having piece of crap again, nobody was pushing the bomb and I couldn't just wait it out cos they were reaaallllly good about kicking idlers, so I had to actually carry on and it finally blew up and I'm done

and it didn't let me turn it in, it completely ignored it. The beep beeped and the text went yellow in game but when I opened my pda it still said 2 out of 3!

Fix your poo poo valve you fat nerds.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Oh they changed the contracts... now I only have to extinguish team mates with the thermal thruster 6 times to complete the contract.

I'd already done it 15 times, valve. thanks for resetting that one.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
My dumb idea for Amby is for it to do regular revolver damage, but have it mark targets for death. or alternatively have it do more damage from behind. Can't catch up to that medic to stab him. shoot his rear end instead!

Dead ringer should need to be recharged like the razorback used to. First time you use it, you cloak and feign death, with the damage reductions, but if you wanna poop out another ragdoll and make the enemy think you're dead and escape, you need to go back to the lockers at some point. Otherwise you just cloak as normal..

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 27, 2017

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

nielsm posted:

lol today's patch

I just knew when I saw that they had fixed it so the pyro now did 3x falling damage with the jetpack, that all the other classes would be able to do it too.

Also aimbots are starting to pop back up.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

crabf posted:

Yeah cuz I don't want the guy I'm owning to get mad and call a votekick on me for cheating and probably have it succeed more often than not.

I'd just be happy if the servers I go on would just enable any sort of vote kicking, what's the point of literally having nothing?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Degroot Keep was a great idea to complete my hot hand contract. I got 4 kills in my first life, so that's the second bonus twice and the third once.. then the rounds kept ending before I could get a kill or two, but then suddenly I got a tonne of kills and boom done. Then I switched to heavy with the KGB and loaned banana. It counted as me feeding a team mate any time anyone ate the healthpack I dropped when I died (Because degroot keep) so it only took me 3 rounds to get the 100 points (Yay KGBs) and I nearly completed my first bonus because every time I died it was a garanteed mark on that one. I unlocked the banana though so I'm probably not gonna bother with completing the other two heavy bonuses though, there's enough heavies on any server already.

edit: also whether people do good or bad rounds are always over in about 3 minutes so that's great for just finishing off contracts too.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I've been saying for years that you should be able to equip a secondary instead of a primary. The only class I could see that being that broken on would be a sniper with SMG and Piss. But even then, that means he's not a sniper making one shot instakills from across the map so I think that's a fair trade off. Demo with stickies and targe would be.. I imagine kinda tricky to play as.. since any time you charge, you lose your stickies, and anytime you detonate stickies, you're going to charge unless your charge isn't full. But then when I've suggested the idea in the past I've said not to include demoman in because of the alt fire conflicts.

The whole idea is purely so I can play pyro with flare and shotgun anyway, and maybe try that Piss SMG sniper thing..

Dabir posted:

Demo would have two kinds of pipe launcher. Come on now.

Booties and Parachutey? I'd take the cannon or ironbomber and one of those two perhaps. I can jump pretty consistantly well with both.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
2 scottish resistances. 28 stickybombs.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

pgroce posted:

A ScoRes and the parachute would own.

You can do that on the Demo already. The parachute replaces his grenade launcher.

Also, the pyro's jetpack is interesting in MvM, you can stun and freeze an entire group of robots all at once. The gas can is broke as hell and I hope it never gets fixed. I'm usually middle damage of the scoreboard, I used it and the dragon's fury and had nearly 3 times the amount of damage as the next person on the board. That's nuts!

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
The only value I can see for it is pushes in choke points but even then.. Maybe if the other team's got an rear end in a top hat pyro you just can't outshotgun maybe..

I also find the slap pretty useless too.. That said combining the backburner and the jetpack is a lot of fun.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I just wished it's regenerating mechanic made more sense. all the other classes with that kinda thing, it's regens over time and you always start with one, and you can always get one from the respawn locker. But nope, the pyro has it regen like a throwable, albeit really slowly. But damage increases it too like banners. And it starts off empty like a banner, and you can't replenish it from a locker like a banner. Except it's a throwable. But if you die it doesn't reset the counter, which is not like anything else in the game. :psyduck:

It kinda bugs me how the gas can is the only weapon that doesn't get reset by dying and respawning. Part of the pyro transcends death and resurection, and it's the gland that produces flammable gas in jerry cans. Is it the pyro's pee?

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
After watching a few of Muselk's vids on the game fortnite battle royale, and wandering around a Trade server with an updated version of gm_BigCity. I kinda wanna see TF2 get a battlegrounds game mode.

Have everyone use something like that one mercenary player model and start off with demoman or soldier stats and just a melee weapon.

Let them use the all class cosmetics, and whatever other ones might fit, and have the weapons be all the different tf2 weapons littered around the map. The map would probably be kinda small though due to engine limitations, ah well let valve figure that out, I'm sure the engine can handle it. :downs:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
All that fancy stuff is nice, but here's a vid with some nice solid basic stuff, so you might not know, some you probably will. It shows off a few pogos, and I imagine just getting some of this stuff down and getting into fights with it will help to quickly pick up the other stuff too. He does a little pogoing and shows off some wall jumping stuff that looks pretty neat but is quite easy to pull off too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT9iFW_F41E

Also having a button bound to +jump;+duck can help a lot. Almost every kinda rocket jumping and market gardening is so much easier to do when you're crouched, and not having your hand mangled by pushing down two buttons already makes air strafing so much easier.

edit: Actually you'll probably know that stuff already but someone else might find this stuff useful at least. I guess I shoulda watched your video first.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Dec 9, 2017

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Give heavy a vending machine primary that he puts on his back. Gets a speed boost every time he throws food. Food regenerates based on damage done by fed team mates. Let it regenerate in 3 tiers like the vaccinator but depending on how many tiers you have filled before you throw food affects the size of the health pack. alt fire on full charge makes him crush a giant bag of cheetos that gives anyone nearby an artificial cheese induced high that gives them crits for a sort period. Maybe make that like the pyro's gas cloud so while it's there anyone stood in it deals crits/minicrits whatever..

Of course he'd need a new secondary weapon to help balance the lack of minigun. I dunno..maybe give him a hand gun (or 2) to burn through all those bullets he's carrying.

Hire me valve.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I remember someone buying Carpet Johnson an account. turned out the whole "lol get wrecked human being" thing in his videos wasn't entirely ironic and he didn't last long.. I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKp7Efyu_w

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Just watched that kukkye video, man I miss super vanilla original tf2.. I like modern too but now I kinda wish there was like an option or game mode to play that, other than when the servers are down.

I miss spamming the hell out of Lazy Town with all those demoman grenades and that one water works one that'd always be a big sniper war.. :allears:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
You may wanna go into steam, right click on team fortress 2, in the updates tab at the bottom disable the cloud synchronisation too if it keeps going back to the settings you deleted some how. Not saying that's anything to do with the problem, just if I knew that myself when I was trying to fix a configuration problem it would have saved me so much time.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I tend to change my steam name a lot and usually for fun I'll make a spray to fit it. Though my favourite spray to use outside of that is just cut out of that creepy woody doll's head. It's amazing for ruining other people's sprays and bringing whole servers to a stand still..

Though I think I need something new. Everyone's always talking about that Jojo thing..

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Jabor posted:

Sniper 100% wants the Bushwhacker if you're taking Jarate, which makes you a serious threat against anything close range. Otherwise it doesn't really matter.

Soldier can also get good use from the Escape Plan.

The cleaner's carbine is pretty amazing with the bushwacker now too, since you take more damage from everything now and not just fire, might as well have a secondary weapon.

Combine both with the sydney sleeper to increase your chance of finishing an enemy off with the carbine and getting those 8 sweet seconds of melee crits.

Huntsman, Carbine and Bushwacker almost feels like a separate subclass like demoknight. You go from being a long distance nuisance to some sort of all or nothing mid range assault nutter. it's great.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I mean I was a little disappointed when all the comments weren’t simply “git gud.” Clearly he doesn’t like arcade style shooters, but to say TF2 is ugly and difficult to navigate maps is objectionably wrong. Kids these days.

I guess because it's not just an open island space that slowly gets smaller over the duration of 20 minutes.

"You mean there might be points I have to go to INSIDE buildings? and if I stray off the beaten path the game doesn't tell me and start draining my health? what is this??!"

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Reiley posted:

No one who has ever been moonshot by the Sandman didn't deserve it.

Agreed, it's not like it was something that was even all that easy to do with the size of most maps.

ChaseSP posted:

Sandman Guillotine was really bullshit but also really drat satisfying getting it at long range.

I never seemed to quite pull the combo off, I dunno if it's my brain telling me they had different archs so trying to compensate would miss, or they did have different archs and I hadn't figured it out yet.

I also never really hated getting stunned or then taken out by a guillotine, can't really stay mad at someone when the ragdoll from it was always so insane. Since they changed the cleaver though I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it, it's easier and more effective to have a gun equipped and if you wanna make someone bleed just run up and hit them with the boston basher.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Broken Cog posted:

I'm still sad they nerfed the Sandman/Cleaver combo for no reason, it was one of my favourite gimmick loadouts. I don't think I ever ran into a single person complaining about it

Same, seriously, the reasons they gave for nerfing it were utter bullshit too. The ball and cleaver even used different archs, if you could hit someone with a ball, then managed to hit them with the cleaver, you deserved that kill just as much or not more than any sniper that clicked a head or spy that managed to get in poking range of someone.

And the "bug" on the righteous bison. And nerfing the caber to the point of it being a straight up downgrade. Goddamn this game is a mess.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
In fairness when they first came out they were way better. the gas passer was insanely overpowered in MvM, not that anyone really plays that any more. But the dragon's fury hosed up other pyros. Then they rebalanced stuff.

It's still pretty neat if you get the right sort of map to get the jet pack and the back burner and just drop in behind people and toast their rear end by surprise at least.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
and Tom Jones's birthday.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I remember once shortly after the vaccinator came out I was on a server where some heavy had 2 vaccinator buddies with him basically making him constantly immune to everything. They were obviously co-ordinating over skype or some other voice chat thing because they were really ontop of it.

All their planning and they forgot the third degree existed, they rage quit before the end of the round. I don't think I killed the heavy once but killing both medics over and over was enough. :laugh:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
If they did It'd better have less of a soldier and more of a human cannonball clown aesthetic for the class.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

drrockso20 posted:

Only reason I didn't suggest that one too is because it'd be weird to let other classes have access to the Metal mechanic(and honestly would probably be a bad idea considering how much Engineers need it)

They can't really do anything with it other than the widowmaker so it'd be just some other ammo pool. Unless when pyros used it it ate their flamethrower ammo. That'd be a pretty neat mechanic.

but yeah it'd be annoying if you're engy and you can't repair stuff because the pyro sat with you keeps eating all the metal. If you're gonna be a pybro you probably would want the detonator or scorch shot anyway. or switch to the regular shotgun so you're not hindering your engineer. you'll be getting basically infinite ammo from the dispenser anyway.

Also give pyro family business.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
Yeah, I've been saying for years that a few classes should be able to switch out their primary weapon for another secondary. There could be some interesting synergies (jarate and smg, shotgun and buff banner, food and shotgun, crit cola and a pistol/cleaver if you're a melee superstar) while giving the big downside of not having a primary weapon, they'd totally balance out for scout, soldier, pyro, sniper, engy and heavy.

I've always wanted to see Fat Scout get the encouragement demoknight gets. Give the heavy a primary that's just huge revolver or maybe a backpack that lets him capture points twice as quickly and some other buff to make up for not having the skillhose.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
I guess the sniper would be a bad one, yeah. I just really wanna try going cleaner's carbine, jarate and bushwacka.

Sniper needs a new SMG. Maybe one that synergises with the bazaar bargain so the more heads you've got the faster it fires or more accurate it is. Or maybe just minicrits on headshots. Give it the ambassador's spread.

Or work the widowmaker mechanic into it, every bullet that hits an enemy has a chance to put one back into the magazine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It's not quite Eyeballs the Safety Clown, but it's not without a certain Je nais c'est quoi!

Only registered members can see post attachments!