Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'm so excited for the update. I can't wait to shoot fireballs at people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

It back!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

nerdbot posted:

Pyro Reserve Shooter no longer minicrits airblasted enemies, but minicrits enemies knocked around by the Thermal Thruster, which is equipped to the same slot as the Reserve Shooter... Uhhhhh. I guess they're going for team shenanigans but it reads like one of the dumbest things on this list. That doesn't really balance this.

I believe they mean it can be used to flak some enemy jetpack pyros.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

And is it reflectable?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

The new flamethrower seems incredibly strong, but it might be because people aren't used to it yet. It kills so fast.

Agreed. And the new airblast is really cool. Sending enemies skidding away across the floor looks sweet. It's more natural instead of just always popping them up with no speed.

I think some of the stuttering people are experiencing might be related to reestablishing connection to item server/game coordinator, since it's almost constantly dropping and reattempting.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Broken Cog posted:

Heh, the Ambassador is absolutely garbage now. 52 damage crits at medium range.
Never actually used it often, since I prefer stock or Diamondback, but still, this nerf seems a bit too harsh. They should at least have buffed it in some other area to make up for it.

I guess you can still use it to 2-shot unaware snipers using the Razorback at least.

What's medium range to you? I played with it a little and did 96 at a range well beyond what most classes can effectively fight in.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Dragons fury is so good holy smokes.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Bouncy sticky-bombs and jarate jars are fun, but I have to admit I'm not sure about this latest nucleus whimsy.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

The flamethrower pretty much does its max dps regardless of how well you aim, so it's a little wacky atm.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Team Fortress 2 got a pretty good update today.

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=38643

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

TF2 is back baby everybody jump on engineer and start blasting hadokens

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Jippa posted:

I've only skimmed those notes but the flame thrower changes seem great. In practice is it working out when you play (you don't die really quickly if a pyro just tickles you)?

Flamethrower changes are definitely a big improvement.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

To be honest I wish more people would open their minds to the idea that TF2 is fun to play even if no one is mad at you.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I mean but that is like 40 years old and it's been done to death. Rocket jumping + meatshots still rule though.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Does any of y'all have a link to that old parody frag video where the noclipping soldier gets OWN BONED by a sick airshot and so on?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Thanks Reiley

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

QwertySanchez posted:

I remember someone buying Carpet Johnson an account. turned out the whole "lol get wrecked human being" thing in his videos wasn't entirely ironic and he didn't last long.. I think.

lol

Reminder that the purest high-minded irony still fosters an environment where 10-to-1 the people joining in are 100% sincere and have simply been convinced that it's badass to be homophobic or whatever.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I really love koth, but I was pretty disappointed with both of Jungle Inferno's koth maps. The points are much too easy to defend. There's no good positions to put pressure on them from.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

From what I can tell, lagbots and crashing is a pretty severe issue in Europe, but I haven't encountered many at all in eastern US. I can only remember seeing it happen once, actually.

Still, that really sucks if you do live anywhere else. Hopefully Valve gets it fixed pretty soon.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-08-14-valves-forgotten-game-team-fortress-2s-shocking-toxicity-problem

Turns out the game where people flood chat with text binds of the n-word has a toxicity problem, with real world consequences.

Valve's response: j/k Valve doesn't respond to anything :xd:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

JB50 posted:

They cant even stop cheating in TF2 you expect them to be thought police too.

LOL Volvo pls fix.

Plenty of other games punish the use of slurs. There's a lot of middle ground between halting all hate-speech and just letting anyone be as aggressively horrible as they can manage.

Wugga posted:

I've been votekicked off servers for calling people racist cunts.

I guess that's where the player base draws the line.

edit: To avoid confusion, I should add I've said that to people who have used racial slurs.

Calling out racism is ever more upsetting than actual racism, dont ya know. (You really don't have to use that word to do it though.)

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Yeah. His desire was to make the people he was playing against unhappy. Pretty hard to feel sorry for him.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

ChaseSP posted:

Ban anyone using a textbind in valve servers. Easy.

100% unironically agreed.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I'd probably do better with another flamethrower, but I'm still enjoying dragon's fury so much.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I can't help, but in the past couple of days I haven't been connected to a Virginia server at all, which previously was the usual location I'd get. Maybe they're doing something to certain servers or changing the way the coordinator decides on a server?

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

So, a very excited person on Steam discussions had this to say:

quote:

I am not the only one having this issue, believe me. All you have to do is google "tf2 valve servers failed" or just see the occasional post here.

To be blunt, one day magically out of nowhere, I am no longer able to connect to any Luxembourg (and I assume other European) Valve servers because MY IP IS BLOCKED BY THEM FOR NO REASON. It endlessly connects, and then I get "Connection failed after 4 retries."

I do not have a VAC ban, I have not cheated, nor am I using any mods that may cause this issue. This issue randomly appeared out of nowhere. Because of this, I am no longer able to play tf2 through matchmaking at all. Only community servers work.

This has been confirmed by other people with the same issue. Contacting Steam Support will have you ignored, and any solutions you try to use blatantly do not work.

Here is a list of redundant things you can try (that don't work)

- Connecting via "Connect (IP)" in Developer Console (because of the way matchmaking works I don't think you're able to do this anyway)
- Setting a particular port in your Steam Launch Options
- Restarting your computer and router
- Verifying your game cache
- Reinstalling TF2
- Etc

THIS ISSUE WAS FIXED BY PEOPLE CHANGING THEIR IP. Then they are able to connect. There is NO other way to fix this, as Valve will do nothing to help you. I do not know why this occurs but it's absolutely atrocious. Again, because of this, I am no longer able to play through casual matchmaking and therefore do any contracts and other things. I might as well not play at all. The only servers that DO work for me are American-based, such as Virginia, etc. European servers do not work at all.

What I'd like to know is why is my IP blocked by the servers in the first place? Why did this randomly occur out of nowhere, and how do I stop this? I should not have to change my entire IP to play one game. Any other Source Engine game works fine. This is just TF2.

TL;DR: IP magically blocked by Valve European servers for no reason. Unable to play casual matchmaking TF2 because of this. American Servers still work. No way to fix client-side. Server based issue. Only actual fix is changing IP. Stupid.

I don't know what changing IP entails, but according to this angry person it works? I wish Valve had any kind of regular communication so they could explain what's happening with this.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

On the flip side I keep being put into Virginia servers despite living in the UK, which is entirely unhelpful. I always spend a minute wondering why things are delayed and why half my shots aren’t connecting until I realise. :saddowns:

From what I've seen it's not happening to everyone, but it is happening to a lot of people. They can't connect to their nearest server, but can connect to more distant ones. It's not so bad for me, I only get around 70-80 ping on LA servers, but a lot of people- like you- are having to go much further for second best.

Someone on Steam discussions got a response from support saying it should be fixed in a day or two, but it also kinda looks like a standard brush-off response. Guess it can't hurt to submit a report on it.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Those of you who can't connect to Luxembourg (or whatever your usual is), does it show up in your ping limit listing?

this thing:

Virginia is just absent from mine, I noticed. I normally don't use a ping limit, so I didn't even know it listed regions like this. I'm wondering if I'm having a different issue altogether now.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Peanut President posted:

Sterling, USA is Virginia

Oh. Well in that case, I guess I just have worse ping to Virginia now. Weird.

thanks though

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I shouldn't grouse because I know a lot of people have it worse and always have, but I sure miss having less than 90 ping.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Warpy posted:

5cp/ctf is not really a great experience in 12v12 and I think that's reflected in the queues. (turbine and 2fort are the exception.. people really like those two ctf maps for some weird reason)

Really though it's all about cp_dustbowl + most of the pl maps + ping limit set to auto = getting placed into a server within minute

On the other hand, playing dustbowl about as much fun as remaining in queue for 15 minutes.

I only play 5cp and koth, but I guess I'm lucky because I rarely have to wait as long as one minute.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

My man have you tried Banana Bay? It's like Hightower but better.

:yeah:

Banana Bay is really good. I want to like Hightower, but I can't abide a round that never ends. Fortunately Helltower doesn't seem to have that problem. Scream Fortress is on its way! wooooo! :spooky:

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Butt Detective posted:

I can tolerate Process and to an extent Snakewater, but for the most part I just really do not enjoy 5CP as a gamemode, at least not in pubs. Half the maps aren't designed to have 7 engineers turtling on last and games are either a steamroll or a never-ending-back-and-forth slog.

Hey I don't wanna say you're wrong. You do you, fun is subjective, no disrespect etc. But I see this a lot and I just wanna say:

+A/D and payload aren't any more fun when 7 engies turtle up (and in fact those gamemodes will actually give a win to red team for doing so).

+At least a steamroll is quick on 5cp. Been on many payload games where immediately one team is getting crushed, but you still gotta slog it out to the end.

+Back-and-forth is what makes 5cp so great! A gamemode where it's possible to come back from heavy losses and win! (granted sometimes you end up trading 2nd and time keeps getting added and it goes on and on, but there's usually a way to disrupt that pattern)

This message brought to you by the 5cp council. Try 5cp, today! I love you!

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Video Graves posted:

Not going to lie but 5CP and Koth are my favouritest game types. cp_Badlands is a perfect map.

:hfive:

I understand why Process is so popular, and I love that map, but I'd love to know why I end up on Yukon more often than Badlands.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I would like to see a payload loop where instead of having a finish, the attacking team gets points for each time the cart goes past a checkpoint. The payload would never stop, continuing to move at a minimal speed even with no one pushing (and of course going faster when pushed). You could always go around to attack the other team from behind.

Payload is reasonably fun to me except when defense is winning. The last point almost always ends up being pure misery, so this is my dimly imagined idea of a fun payload.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Ariong posted:

That�s a novel idea, but you can�t really have a TF2 map without a clearly defined victory state. Maybe one where you have to push it around the circular track three times to win?

I should have said there would be a time limit. Whichever team pushes past the most checkpoints, wins.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

Ariong posted:

Oh, so it�s a Payload Race map? Are the two tracks directly adjacent to one another? Do the carts move in the same direction, or does one move clockwise and the other counterclockwise?

I was envisioning one track and, like normal payload, teams trade every other round. I guess the game does a bad job of declaring a winner in this situation, but in my imagination land they've fixed that problem.

I guess since I said there would be a minimum cart-speed, that could work as a time limit and like has been suggested, round ends after X number of caps.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

pl_snaketemple

quote:

The game type of snake temple features 2 carts on the same track. The goal is for each to catch the cart of the other team by pushing their cart faster. To help you, your cart has a special uber speed gauge you can trigger by blocking the hostile cart.

That sounds really interesting.

From that little blurb it sounds kinda like it favors defense (which is the opposite of what I want), though? Granted I haven't played on the map, so maybe that's not actually the case.

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

TF2 is BACK baby!! (phrase that can be said at any moment of the past 10 years whenever you feel like it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaxander
Aug 12, 2009

I've been trying to play some of my least played classes a bit more. Recently I've been focusing on heavy, which is ok, but it can get boring at times. Using the buffalo steak sandvich with the fists of steel is a pretty enjoyable gimmick though. A lot of people don't think to pull out a melee, and the FoS resistance mitigates the minicrits decently.