Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Feels weird being hyped for a TF2 update again. Been so long since the last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In my defense, I didn't buy this one myself.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have literally never seen anyone complain about the guillotine, and I've got more than 500 kills on my strange one. Who are these weird focus group people Valve are listening to?

Edit: Also 33% increased cloak drain rate on the YER. Wth Valve, it was bad enough as it was.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Oct 20, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Old Claymore is back, patch redeemed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Nah, this change is fairer than what was proposed. People were worried about the loss of the 100% accuracy.

If it was up to me, I'd just change the crits to minicrits after a certain amount of distance, but eh.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the Rescue Ranger is still very strong, it's far from ruined by this change.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the item servers have gone down in preparation for the update, so I'm guessing it's pretty close now.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Well, the new Main Menu sure is something. Doesn't seem like the servers are back up yet though, so no point in rushing too much yet.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Was it mentioned anywhere that you now see the max health above your health bar when you take damage?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the new flamethrower flames look really out place. Looks like Half Life 2 flames or something.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The new flamethrower seems incredibly strong, but it might be because people aren't used to it yet. It kills so fast.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Heh, the Ambassador is absolutely garbage now. 52 damage crits at medium range.
Never actually used it often, since I prefer stock or Diamondback, but still, this nerf seems a bit too harsh. They should at least have buffed it in some other area to make up for it.

I guess you can still use it to 2-shot unaware snipers using the Razorback at least.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

King Lazer posted:

What's medium range to you? I played with it a little and did 96 at a range well beyond what most classes can effectively fight in.

Trying to fight against people on the mid to far end of the bridge on 2Fort while staying on my teams' side. Not exactly scientific, but it was mostly just for testing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Remember that the new flamethrower does +300% damage to burning enemies.I think one of the reasons it feels so powerful right now is that everyone is pyro, so everything is on fire all the time.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 21, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

QwertySanchez posted:

So I think I killed someone by air blasting their dragon's fury poof back at them. I dunno.

also, if I'm in a game, and I complete a contract goal. can I switch to another contract and activate that to start working on that one until the round ends?

You have to wait until the end of the round, otherwise it doesn't save your progress for that contract.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Or Spy perhaps? Who got mostly nerfs this patch for some reason.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I like how the Loose Cannon contract has a bonus for sticky grenade kills. Way to rub it in, eh, Valve?

Edit: Also the Double Donk bonus objective doesn't work.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 22, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
At least It's very easy to get them kicked, and they get extremely salty when you do so, since you have to spend several minutes in spawn to get to that level of health.

Edit: Also, you can still backstab them afaik.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turboraton posted:

Google less and play this f2p game more. Contracts are fine.

No, sorry, a lot of the contracts straight up don't work. For example, the only way to get points on the Direct Hit contract is to use the mini crit kill sub objective, since the main and first bonus objective straight up don't register.

Edit: Crit melee kills with Gunslinger does work though, I did it earlier.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have to say though, all issues with the contracts and new bugs/exploits aside, the new maps and pyro weapons are a lot of fun. The jetpack especially is a blast to play around with.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anyone else have had the Dragon's Fury projectiles just stop registering hits? I was playing a round, and doing reasonably well, until I apparently started missing every shot. I even tested it on an afk heavy, and the shots just went straight through.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I get into matches pretty much instantly now, I'd say it works.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I wish they'd given the DR a little more charge rate or something when they nerfed it, it feels kinda awkward to use now.
Also, the new YER feels awful, the cloak drain is really noticeable.

Honestly, all the Spy changes feel like kneejerk reactions from someone who never really plays spy, they seem really half-assed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the amount of "defend the point" objectives you need is just silly. First of all, you have to be the first on the point to (sometimes) get it to trigger, and when it does actually trigger, it seems there is a 50-50 chance of it actually updating in the tracker.

I got done with most of the actual cap objectives in a round or two, but is still at 3/30 or 4/20 on most of the defend objective ones. I wonder how they came up with those numbers.

Edit: And of courses every map contract seems to have some kind of variation of these bonus objectives.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Oct 25, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The only thing I don't like about the new flame particles is that you can't see poo poo through them if a flaming pyro is coming straight towards you.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Tale posted:

I know I'm like a week late, but when I first read the original patch notes for the update I was thrilled to see they didn't kill the amby by adding bullet spread to the its first shot. But jfc I did not realize just how small a range that 1200 hammer units is. Not being able to hit headshots past 1200 units makes this thing is essentially useless now. The stock revolver is now better in almost every application. Even the medium range amby headshots only do like 60 damage. At the same range, you could pop out 35-40 damage per shot with the stock, and I imagine the dps would be comparable to hitting every headshot as quickly as possible with the ambassador. The new amby only fills the niche in which you need to deal high damage to that scout you ran into while rounding a blind corner and not much else. I can't see it being a viable weapon anymore.

Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, none of the spy changes really seemed well thought out. It all seemed like kneejerk reactions to community complaints with some extremely shallow excuses.

It's a bit disappointing, because it gives me the feeling that there's no one on the TF2 team that actually cares about spy balance anymore.

Edit: I found a clip that shows the current state of the Amby https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXqzL_iFXj8

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 27, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, the stock revolver is still really good, and I'm honestly surprised the Diamondback wasn't the one to get a rework instead of the Amby. It's probably, as you said, because very few people actually use it.

Enforcer is still just a worse revolver, and there is literally no reason to use it in its current state.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I think the DR can survive in the current state if they add some other, small buff to it.
For example, they say spies should rely more on subtlety? Let the DR make the spy phase through enemies for the first 2 or 3 seconds after trigger. That way the spy can be even more unpredictable once it triggers, and the fake death can come across as even more convincing.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I don't think anyone, even spies, want the old Enforcer back. That thing was broken as hell.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Toys For rear end Bum posted:

Oh god, completing a Halloween contract get's you...
a random non tradable/craftable, holiday restricted misc.

Yeah, same as last year.

It's not so bad.... when you don't get dupes in every single crate :argh:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The main problem with the new DR is that it disrupts gameflow for the spy. Once it triggers, you just slither away somewhere, and then you have to sit on your rear end and wait until it recharges since you have no escapes or invisibility to get around with.

It's just boring.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 28, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's an idea for "fixing" the DR: Keep the current charge time, but give it the old Big Earner effect of refilling cloak on a backstab kill. This would incentivize and reward spies willing to go in for backstabs while their DR is down, while not letting pistol spies use it as a "get out of jail for free" card.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I have a tradition of buying exactly 1 of each new loot box that gets released(If I'm playing at the time) for TF2, and today I unboxed something worth 100$+, welp.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Slime posted:

edit: also what's the point of the sandman now

like is there ever a situation where it's a good idea to equip

Nope, it's garbage.

Kind of a shame, too, as I loved just running around with the sandman and cleaver combo.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Loose Cannon status: Still extremely fun to use.

Can recommend the Fun loadout: Loose Cannon, Tide Turner, Eyelander.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
You pretty much have to pair DR with the L'etranger now, in which case it's somewhat useful instead of just plain boring.
I'm still pretty amazed they decided to nerf the Ambassador instead of the Diamondback. The DB is still the most broken Spy gun by far.

Edit: Also, Cloak and Dagger gets more useful the better the other team is. The more important a single medic or sniper pick is, the more of an impact it has.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 20, 2017

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ChaseSP posted:

Diamondback is only more OP if you're able to not die which is a skill level out of reach for most spies I've found. Still eaiser than the Ambassador to use though if your aim is bad.

E: I'm upset to come back to the game and find out the loose cannons range is poo poo now compared to what it used to be. It's very aggravating.

What do you think is harder? Consistently getting away with a stab or a sap, or consistently getting headshots? People seems to think that god-aim Ambassador spies were commonplace, but in my 2.5k+ hours in TF2, I've run into those maybe less than 10 times.

Also, the Loose Cannon is still really good, but if you're used to the old version, you've got some adjusting to do. I can recommend using it together with a shield or the Sticky Jumper for repositioning.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Main Paineframe posted:

Better for the DR to be a mostly-useless niche weapon than the stupid immortality talisman it was before. The whole routine of "killing" a spy, waiting about ten seconds, turning around and "killing" the spy again, repeat for the entire round, was really tiring.

Add full cloak recharge on backstab. Spy gets a way to escape after a successful stab, and can't be exploited to stay alive forever.
Problem right now is that with the DR, once it triggers you have absolutely no escapes until it's back up, so it's usually not worth the risk to try to go in until it's recharged. It encourages extremely passive spy play.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

ChaseSP posted:

you could try using it with the big earner. Does that work with the DR?

You could, but the Big Earner is awful, and 30% cloak really isn't all that much.
The loss of max health is also pretty brutal when using the DR, as you're expected to take some damage.

It also kinda sucks having to gimp yourself with other unlocks to make a certain one not feel awful to use. I'd much rather have more alternatives open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
The new flamethrower particles are definitely acting weird. I killed a backburner pyro running straight at me as Heavy, spun down, turned around, and then got hit by the backburner crits. The pyro being long dead.