Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

:dukedog:

cerious posted:

Can't wait for Day 3 to be super hype and then Day 4 to completely kill the hype with the god awful weapon balancing they wrote about a few months ago.

God bless Valve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

nerdbot posted:

The things I like in this: Pocket Pistol change, Righteous Bison returns, Cow Mangler finally not a liability to my team if a Medic doesn't remember its bizarre and obscure quirk

Changes that baffle me: I had to look up the Razorback and Eviction Notice to see if they were changed in the intervening years worthy of nerfing them, and I just forgot or didn't notice. The Razorback wasn't, and while I never played 6v6 I cannot possibly imagine the Razorback was a problem item in any scenario ever. The Eviction Notice was, and it seems maybe a little harsh for what it is but maybe I'd get it a little more if I had played. I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

Razorback issue was highlander actually. But then the change they made makes it objectively worse for both competitive and for regular gameplay. Hmm...

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

the shield regenerating is kinda convenient i guess

In a pub the spy just shoots you. That's not something that happened in competitive, where the sniper was the one getting pocketed.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

FalloutGod posted:

Playing defense engineer is a massive drag. I dunno how anyone does it.

You use mini sentries and play like you're on offense. Honestly it's awful how you can spend like 30 seconds building a level 3 and it'll blow up in 5 seconds if anyone so much as sneezes on it.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Quick scoping is strong but even if a sniper can hit it 99% you can still beat them by straight up overwhelming them. They've got 125 hp and can only shoot every other second basically. But if people go out one at a time into a sightline then yeah it's pretty easy for the sniper to shut them down and I think that's why snipers are so strong in pubs. Playing sniper is one of the easiest ways to differentiate two evenly matched pub teams, but I think I'd rather play soldier or demo if I wanted to have more direct impact if my team really sucked.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

I haven't touched quickplay in months. I just play on uncletopia servers nowadays exclusively. It's nice not having to deal with bots or cheaters. I don't mind the random crits and bullet spread being turned off either.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

mat_picmip -10 is back! I still don't know why they ever limited it to -1.

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

StealthArcher posted:

Hoyl fcuk it's been years

12 years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerious
Aug 18, 2010

Jabor posted:

The problem is that they're huge nerfs to the sniper playstyles that are interesting to play against (dynamically move around the map, putting yourself at risk to get good angles on the opposing team) while not at all affecting the server-dominating and annoying to play against "park yourself next to a dispenser at the end of a sniper lane and use your superior aim to single-handedly destroy any attempt to push that way".

The fix for this one is to just increase the reload time a little. Mobile snipers can still play like pick classes but the ones parked on sightlines put out substantially less damage. You punish misses the same as the tracers, but tracers only punish snipers who are in creative spots while tracers don't matter for most camping snipers. Ammo capacity cut is a good one but 13 is very restrictive. That's about the same as the Huntsman but the difference is you can get a lot closer with that weapon. Probably like 16-18 is a good amount instead.

cerious fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Feb 28, 2023