Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
This sounds pretty cool but I'm not sure it's cool enough to reinstall the game and put up with the dumb matchmaking poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Baron von Eevl posted:

Random crits are cool and good, namaste

(except on rapid fire weapons that get the 1-second of crits thing)

Even then, they're mostly fine

The only weapon where crits are a real problem is the miniguns, since the crits remove damage falloff and suddenly everyone in the Heavy's line-of-sight is dead

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The Dead Ringer is awful and I'm glad they ruined it. The Ambassador always seemed like a weird thing for the Spy to have, too. It's no surprise that the new TF2 team is having trouble balancing Spy, since a lot of the Spy's alternate weapons make no goddamn sense in the first place.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

nielsm posted:

The idea for the new Reserve Shooter seems to be to punish others doing jumps, not for you to make combos.

The problem is that only three classes have any reason at all to jump in combat, jumps tend to increase someone's distance from you, and shotguns have a short range. In the end, the gimmick is only even usable against scouts and soldiers, and what kind of dumb fool pyro is going to try to shotgun-duel a soldier?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Better for the DR to be a mostly-useless niche weapon than the stupid immortality talisman it was before. The whole routine of "killing" a spy, waiting about ten seconds, turning around and "killing" the spy again, repeat for the entire round, was really tiring.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Well, spy-checking as Pyro is really disorienting now, since a quick puff of flames is literally invisible.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Orv posted:

So this is probably kind of a dumb question, but I stopped playing TF2 back around one of the latter initial class updates when they did a bunch of them over the course of a couple years; the gently caress is this game now? It was already kind of trending towards 24/7 custom map servers and weird stuff like that, rather than the eternal hell fire of Gravel Pit that was the Orange Box release, but to my understanding they've just kept adding poo poo?

I guess my two questions are people have been saying TF2 is dead/dying for years now, I assume that's not true, and if I want to just kind of play around in the weird FPS sandbox that the game has become, rather than say, payload all day, is the community/servers accommodating to that?

fakeedit: I think I might have even made this exact post in the last TF2 thread like four years ago because gently caress time jesus christ.

type "mario_kart" into the server browser's map filter

you're welcome

:unsmigghh:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The weakest parts of Overwatch are the ones where it tries to mimic TF2, because its design is too fundamentally different, so the bits that are similar to TF2 end up just feeling really off and underpowered.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
When the Axtinguisher was good, nobody ever used any other Pyro melee, because when you've got a weapon that oneshots or near-oneshots most of the cast for basically no effort, why use anything else? At least now there's more real options (though everyone just uses the Powerjack, really).

Same thing with the Atomizer - it was a no-brainer pick.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I don't understand why someone who hates F2P multiplayer shooters is reviewing an F2P multiplayer shooter.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

QwertySanchez posted:

Agreed, it's not like it was something that was even all that easy to do with the size of most maps.

I never seemed to quite pull the combo off, I dunno if it's my brain telling me they had different archs so trying to compensate would miss, or they did have different archs and I hadn't figured it out yet.

I also never really hated getting stunned or then taken out by a guillotine, can't really stay mad at someone when the ragdoll from it was always so insane. Since they changed the cleaver though I don't think I've ever seen anyone use it, it's easier and more effective to have a gun equipped and if you wanna make someone bleed just run up and hit them with the boston basher.

They did have different arcs, IIRC.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Sininu posted:

What's that meta and design philosophy about?

every new character is either a tank with 500 or so HP and a bunch of defensive abilities, a combat healer who can pump out damage while using passive skills that can easily heal their entire team at once, or a barely-functional offense character with minimal health who has either the ability to do okay damage or the ability to stay alive for more than five seconds (but never both)

also literally a quarter of the cast have abilities that inflict either stuns or disabling debuffs

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
It's not really "mechanical demand", since I'd honestly say many of the TF2 characters require a lot more of that. It's more that because of the slow movement and high healthpools in OW, as well as the fact that guns have very little burst fire and abilities have enforced cooldowns, positioning both as an individual and as a team member matter a lot more. A solo character can't carry because you need focus fire to take anyone down except for the DPSes, who can typically be wiped out by a stiff breeze if they don't have both a tank and a support backing them up.

In TF2, most of the offensive characters can quickly kill a few people in a row if they need to, and their mobility enhancements are either always on or have no cooldown as long as you can pay their cost. In Overwatch, even the "damage" heroes will usually blow more than half their clip just killing one DPS or healer, and their mobility skill is usually tied to a long cooldown. Soldier can rocket-jump in, gib two or three non-Heavies with well-placed rockets, and rocket-jump out. There's no one in the OW roster that's capable of anything comparable to that, and there's a lot more characters with Heavy-level healthpools too.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

Over watch is a game where I feel like I can never kill enemy players because of tanks and supports, and I also feel like I get one shot constantly. Someone said earlier that OW'S design philosophy includes "a dps shouldn't be able to kill another dps before they have time to react" but like even ignoring widow and hanzo (sniper characters in multiplayer fps need to die), doomfist can kill any nontank in half a second (generally the punch+wall hit is a oneshot), McCree "technically" can't oneshot you but can stun you, then unload the entire clip of his gun with a single button press before your stun is over, a reaper behind your "technically" kills you in as many shots as a scout in that position can kill you, but he has 2.5x scout's fire rate so he'll definitely kill you before you've even figured out that you're being shot in the back, a mei thats gotten close to you will freeze you before you could conceivably get away, and then oneshot you with her altfire so it's slightly more fair in that you could theoretically 180 and snapshot her face if you're playing as a character that can oneshot her. Which uh, means you're a character that can oneshot another character.

The lethality in overwatch is loving stupid, you're made out of paper unless there's a tank in front of you and a support behind you, in which case you're loving invincible. And if your whole team is tanks and supports, your whole team is loving invincible.

Yeah, no one can outright one-shot (except for the snipers and the suicide-chargers). But because of the supreme importance of positioning and team support, you can very easily be forced into a situation where (even though it takes them three or four shots to kill you) death is inevitable and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it...unless you have an escape ability that makes you invincible or teleports you away.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
The only thing Soldier 76 has ever been good for is driving off other DPSes without needing much team support, because even though his general damage output is rear end, he can pop a self-heal ability and be effectively invincible in a 1v1 until the healing wears off.

He just can't handle tanks, because it takes him like ten seconds of sustained fire to do enough damage to kill one.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

bowmore posted:

is there like a list of the best loadouts per class?

These days, the stock stuff is usually the best general choice, with the unlocks being sidegrades that open up new play options but sacrifice versatility. The big exception to that is melee weapons, since the stock ones don't do anything but hit people and most classes are almost never going to use melee weapons for hitting people.

That said, "best" is relative, and the differences are usually pretty minor, so just use whatever fits your playstyle and the situation.

I wish I could still play this game, but I stopped for a while when Overwatch was new and now I get motion sickness if I play TF2 for more than half an hour. I hate my dumb broken brain sometimes

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I absolutely love Harvest. It's a very mobility-focused map that lets soldiers and demos cross the map in seconds, bouncing through open skies from high ground to high ground, while scouts and pyros can easily slip around the sides or through the buildings to punish anyone who dares to let their guard down anywhere on the map. It's a map where anyone can be anywhere fighting whoever they want, with barely any notion of frontlines or safe areas. It also has lots of attractive-seeming sniper spots that are actually incredibly vulnerable, ensuring a steady supply of satisfying prey.

I liked Doomsday, too. In most maps, some points are easy to defend and other ones are hard to defend, but Doomsday barely even considers the idea of making the point defensible. It's wide open, with the only cover being the rising platform itself and the tunnels to high ground that anyone can drop onto the point from. It's chaos.

I've long had a liking for Badwater, but it can get pretty chokepointy at places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
I miss the days when the Pyro was a powerful combo class using the Axtinguisher to score his kills. It was definitely a messy niche where a particular set of weapons were far and away better than the rest, but the rest of Pyro's kit has just never really felt like it made any sense.