Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The new flamethrower is goddamn crazy. Good news, this game's still fun. Bad news, I still hate the stupid matchmaking system and much preferred when I didn't have to wait to play the video game I have limited amounts of time to play already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The sentry not shielding you from the projectile is the only thing I take issue with there because the actual flamethrowers don't pass through sentries iirc

edit: Granted it's a flamethrower so you're probably gonna get hit anyway but the point still stands, you can use the sentry to body block a pyro who's lighting it up while it's sapped or disabled or w/e and you can't if it just goes right through

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If it's out in the open the Pyro can't win, even with the extra range of the new flamethrower, but the same could be said of any class without an explosive or fast dps ranged attack. If there's even one corner, the pyro has it, especially with that range doing its job.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The menu doesn't even work for me in the first place. I click it, select a contract, and then nothing happens. Clicking to select the contract just does nothing, and I can even back out and pick another one and it just doesn't matter. :iiam:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I cannot decide which system I dislike more, the one from Overwatch where it's highlander mode all the time so whoever loads in fastest is guaranteed to insta-lock the shiny new thing, or TF2's where it's just the wild west and you can lose a match in stunning fashion because your team is completely full of useless pyros

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Straight White Shark posted:

Yeah, they completely squandered all of the cool stuff that the spy adds to the game, such as

being fun to play

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My Face When an update brings folks back to this excellent game to toast swiftly

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Haha hell yes, Star_ is streaming the game right now. According to steam charts a quarter of a million people played this week. TF2 lives again!

Dieting Hippo posted:

The Goon Fortress 2 Discord is fairly quiet, but open to anyone wanting to arrange some TF2 events!

Definitely joining this to squad up.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 17, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you shoot someone, for even one damage, their aim will wiggle a bit. That usually gives you an opening at long distances. Imo it's part of the utility of the Scout's pistol or the enemy Sniper's SMG, interrupting the aim of others when you aren't at a good range to fight them.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Araxxor posted:

The video said at the end it was a flawed experiment and that it would have to have been run for way longer for actually conclusive statements to be made.

Yeah, I think it's totally fair to publish something with the disclaimer that one person just doesn't have time to run an experiment like that for the length of time needed- it'd need to be Valve.

And they did with Left 4 Dead 2! Remember Mutations? Those were loving cool.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are like 3 discussions going on at once here and catching up on it was kind of fun, felt a bit like

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Johnny 5forts sounds like an amazing idea and I hope someone makes it. Matches on it would never ever ever end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Jag and Rescue Ranger is my favorite Engineer combo, it's in my opinion his version of "offclassing" like roaming huntsman Snipers. You can poo poo out a Level 1 in a place you can see from elsewhere, haul rear end over there behind enemy lines, and grab it from its spot and redeploy in less than a minute. Dangerous but super effective because you don't have to hold the sentry and can thus still shoot.

Edit: Hell, then you can *go rejoin your team at its original spot * and keep healing it from afar. It's kind of nuts if you get one on say the roof of Badwater 2nd from the rocks where Blu starts.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Aug 30, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Halloween should let you wear any cosmetics together even if they conflict. Give your enemies REAL nightmares.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
On that note I have a question, any of you folks have recommendations for fun comp matches to watch? Ones for charity and stuff are out there. I'm laid out with covid and that sounds like some cozy nostalgia.

edit: and if you do hey thank you

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 13, 2023

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup, Matchmaking made this game immediately harder to play. It did not need to be added and Valve knew they were fad chasing. It makes me real sad to open the server browser and see that even legacy barrel-bottomers like Skial are getting low playercounts because there's no visibility anymore.

edit: just checked and my first post itt 6 years ago was complaining about matchmaking, and calling the new flamethrower cool

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple cosmetics that show his actual physique and yeah he's pretty ripped, his arm muscles are bigger than his head.

But you'd have to have biceps like that to handle a lady like Sasha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Hunger Force is....... less flattering to the man

edit: mobile posting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first time I got a crate, got excited for a brand new gun, and then realized it cost me $2.50 to open it, I decided the whole fad was stupid

edit: Nothing like opening a few crates with some of your christmas money (you are a teenager right now) and you get 3 Jags, a Fists of Steel, and a Flipped Trilby