Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

new competitive queue is broken, I queued for 4 hours and got no matches

axtinguisher only does 113 damage so it's more effort than just holding M1 and has roughly the same kill time

gently caress valve for killing the atomizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slime posted:

Yeah, with how the airblast works now it's a lot harder to land an axtinguisher hit as it is. The people you'd want to use it on because it will kill them will be able to slip away or just punish you for meleeing them, while the people you would be able to hit will survive anyway.

The fact that it extinguishes also means that it can fail to kill scouts if you puff them and then follow through with the axe. They'll survive with like 2 hp sometimes.

The idea behind the atomizer is you have to pull it out before you start jumping to get any extra air, at which point you might as well just use the Winger anyway because it's the same thing but without a switch penalty.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Slime posted:

I've been using the scorch shot instead of the axtinguisher. Puff, airblast away to put them in a position you can control a little more, fire a burny boy for like 60 initial damage if you hit with the projectile and they eat the exploding flare afterwards, plus some nasty afterburn.

I mean, it's better than it was before? But it's still, well, crap. Pyro's always going to have the issue of his melees being utility, because he's already got good close up damage. It needs to be real potent or have a situation it's real good at dealing with to be worth using something other than the powerjack or sometimes the backscratcher.

The original axtinguisher was totally fine and there was no reason to nerf it in the first place. They keep trying different things but it's never going to usable unless they make it do at least 150 damage a swing, especially now that airblast is pretty much useless for controlling enemy positioning.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

When the Axtinguisher was good, nobody ever used any other Pyro melee, because when you've got a weapon that oneshots or near-oneshots most of the cast for basically no effort, why use anything else? At least now there's more real options (though everyone just uses the Powerjack, really).

Same thing with the Atomizer - it was a no-brainer pick.

When the axtinguisher was good people either used it or the powerjack. Now that it's bad people just use the powerjack. Also now that you can't lock people down with airblast getting axe hits is trickier.

The atomizer was the only scout melee that did anything. Now you just pick one at random that isn't the sandman and never ever switch to it.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

In general at this point melees should just be a utility slot where options all have benefits and downsides not just for the melee weapon and stock is just when you don't want to put up with any of the downsides of other melees. Maybe have one melee that's actually for hitting people like the axetinguisher that also comes with a downside which applies to nonmelee stuff(say, 200 damage to burning players but reduced flamethrower damage so you need to be using it to finish people).

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Mar 30, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

so comp queues post update have gone from like 10 to 30 minutes to infinity and there is no sign that valve knows or cares that this is the case, and whatever they did to casual matchmaking to include a hidden rank seems to have just made every single match a complete stomp in one way or anothe

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

??? I've had much better casual matches since the update

So far every match I've had has lasted exactly as long as it takes for one team to walk to and capture the point. Like, just disgustingly one sided. The sort of horrific stomp I used to see one out of every 10-15 matches now happens every match.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tf2 is a game about dominating other players and then smugly continuing to own them as their frantic attempts to kill you become more and more pathetic, tears and snot streaming down their furious red face as they flail and scream at their keyboards in a futile struggle to regain their dignity, while you yourself do not even deign to acknowledge their presence

it is also a game about becoming increasingly angry as that cheating gently caress neverendingly destroys you both physically and emotionally until you finally manage to get the drop on him and take your terrible revenge, the 400 rockets streaming towards you as you taunt over the corpse of your defeated opponent being a mere afterthought in the tale of your glorious vengeance

basically if you aren't RPing as either ahab or the white whale you aren't playing right

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i enjoyed the 2 days where i could find comp matches between them fixing the bug and me getting placed at 2000 mmr where there are apparently no players because I am once again getting 5 hour queues in what I would have thought would be prime time

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

SilverSupernova posted:

I'm never going to stop playing this stupid, ancient, dead, broken game, am I?

yes, when you're dead, you will stop playing

unless hell is real, in which case no

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

have you tried accelerating small pieces of metal in the pyro's direction, possibly using some kind of tube containing propellant?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

The best phlog interaction is seeing the pyro taunt and immediately laying 5 stickies on his feet

it's funnier to just lay one that pushes him into a pit

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

tf2 received plenty of support and I'm okay with the fact that they're not really doing much with it now but the matchmaking thing is awful and I have no idea why they forced it

like TF2 was played without matchmaking for literally 9 years and it was absolutely fine, now you have matchmaking and I have to wait 5 minutes to get a casual match instead of just opening the server list and clicking on a server that has a map I like in 15 seconds, because they removed all the valve servers from the list and all the community servers died

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Otacon posted:

You're playing with friends, or being very selective with your maps then - I have most of them selected (except for Special Maps and 2fort) and typically get matched to a server within 15 seconds.

Mostly I feel like playing 5cp and that's a 5-10 minute queue every time. If I select everything then I get in within a minute but end up in some godforsaken server with 8 people playing ctf_well or some poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Warpy posted:

5cp/ctf is not really a great experience in 12v12 and I think that's reflected in the queues.

ctf sucks but I always enjoyed 5cp the most. This opinion was not shared by 80% of people but that was fine because I could hit the server browser and find a 5cp server full of the 20% in about 15 seconds. Now we are scattered to the winds, lost amongst the endless payloads and dustbowls, never to be reunited without queuing for 15 minutes.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

is competitive matchmaking still effectively worthless?

I did my calibrations with half hour queues. Post-calibration I have been unable to find a match. I left the queue running for 8 hours.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

Hell, TF2 removed some stuns because "stuns aren't fun".

they removed basically all of them because they sucked and everyone hated them, and replaced them with basically disarms. I can't think of a real stun that's still in the game other than as part of a couple of taunt kills.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nielsm posted:

You're talking as if Overwatch is basically dead already. Is it? I haven't been following it at all.

people still play it and it's still kind of fun if you just play casual and don't give a poo poo but the changes that have been made over the past couple of years have cemented the most boring comp meta imaginable which cannot be shaken off because it is the only logical conclusion of the actual design philosophy behind the game

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sininu posted:

What's that meta and design philosophy about?

the meta strat is called GOATS, after the pro team that invented it and in doing so ruined comp overwatch forever

3 tanks, 3 supports. DPS, which makes up over half the cast and is also the category that the average player actually wants to play, is completely ignored. Other than, if the team wants to be ballsy, occasionally running a sneaky Sombra who exists purely to hack shields, DPS is not played.

The design philosophy behind Overwatch essentially hinged on the concept that people don't like being one-shot or killed before they have a chance to react, and thus doing so should not really be possible. To that end, the game was balanced such that, in a DPS vs. DPS confrontation, it takes a while for one to kill the other(as opposed to say, Siege, where you can sometimes die on literally the frame after an enemy spots you). This was done by making sure damage output was low relative to other games of its genre.

The problem with this: Tanks and Supports exist, who have enormous HP pools/damage mitigation/barriers, etc. By keeping DPS damage output and especially burst damage low, the result was that 2 DPSes could not eat through the EHP of a Tank/Support combo in a reasonable timeframe. Combine this with the fact that some Tanks and Supports have comparable damage output to DPSes but also big HP and/or healing and the entire DPS roster became obsolete. And will stay there, forever, because it is impossible to drag them out without compromising that design philosophy. A team will gain more effectiveness by having another Tank/Support combo than they would by having 2 DPSes every time, and the only way to fix this would be to either dramatically buff their damage output or nerf everyone's HP, both of which would result in squishy characters dying fast and thus break the underlying balance goal of the design team.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

basically imagine if the tf2 6s meta was 3 heavies, 3 medics, heavies had 1200 hp, ubercharge was on a 10 second cooldown, and backstab and headshot maxed out at 100 damage

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

So what you're saying is, Overwatch was designed by scrubs who were mad that scouts kept killing them.

overwatch was balanced for low-mid level casual play where people don't know how to avoid that sort of thing and are just playing whatever they feel like. which is a perfectly fine thing to do, mind you, it's just that they also decided to include a comp mode and push for a pro-scene, and the result is a dumpster so hot that the garbage atoms are beginning to fuse into previously theoretical super-heavy trash elements

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Countblanc posted:

OW didn't have a kill feed until very late into its beta, by design

it also does not have a scoreboard or any way to measure how well you're doing against the rest of your team other than by medals(where you can only see your own medal)

this was theoretically supposed to prevent toxicity and poo poo-talking based on scoreboard position but in practice actually results in enormous levels of turbo poo poo-talk where people constantly scream at each other about how poo poo they are and accuse each other of lying about what medal they actually have in enormously petty bullshit arguments which would not exist if there were a scoreboard and people could see in half a second whether someone is actually doing well or not

like a standard overwatch argument that you will hear over the voice chat in at least half of comp matches is
"WOW X IS PLAYING LIKE TOTAL poo poo, GO BACK TO (RANK BELOW THIS ONE), REPORT X"
"gently caress YOU Y ACTUALLY I HAVE LIKE THREE GOLD MEDALS, YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS BAD"
"NUH UH I HAVE ALL THE GOLD MEDALS SO YOU'RE LYING"
*inarticulate screeching*
*torrent of racial slurs*

whereas in games with scoreboards they tend to get resolved rather quickly because you can just go "eh they're actually doing fine" or "yeah, I guess they could be doing better" and settle the whole thing in 5 seconds because it's impossible to lie about it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Zedd posted:

GOATS make me miss the Dive meta. (Think 1 heavy, 1 medic and 4 scouts to gently caress up the other teams medic)

nah because dive meta wasn't DPSes, it was just fast tanks

think 1 heavy and then 3 more heavies with jetpacks, and then 2 medics

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

YOURFRIEND posted:

The secret is to just never play comp and just don't pay attention to OWL. It's a really fun game, I get tons of enjoyment out of it and it still seems really healthy to me. I play exclusively QP and arcade(for those sweet sweet LOOT BOXES) and never have to wait long than 20s to find a game.

in my own opinion the changes that have been made and the design goals behind them have dragged down casual plenty as well, because despite the fact that it's not an intolerable slog of giant energy shields slowly grinding away at each other like comp the truths that put comp into the terrible state it's in now still apply: DPS have bad damage output and struggle to deal with tank EHP pools and playing them isn't much fun when it feels like you're firing a nerf gun into an oncoming car. the fact that people don't care as much and don't insist on playing in the incredibly boring optimal way doesn't change the fact that more than half the hero pool just isn't capable of doing much. You can pick up and play a DPS and fight some other people picking up and playing DPS, but ultimately it feels as though what you're doing has no impact on the course of the match, and that that's most dictated by whoever plays Tanks and Supports. You can have some fun but I definitely see that as having declined over time as well.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Main Paineframe posted:

there's a lot more characters with Heavy-level healthpools too.
OW tanks make heavy look like he's made of paper mache. Heavy has 300 hp and a self-heal that he has to stop and chew on for 3 seconds to restore it. He takes exactly as much damage as anyone else. A hero like Orisa has, effectively, over a thousand HP due to her barrier, damage mitigation skill, and armour. Reinhardt has well over 2000, especially since he can drop his shield and let it recharge while getting healed, then pull it back up and thus juggle between his shield and normal hp. These shield abilities also provide effective health to supports hiding behind them.

Genuinely, I'd say it's easier to kill a heavy in TF2 than it is to kill a Zenyatta in Overwatch.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

ult economy is boring (says the medic main)

I think a big problem with OW's ult economy is just the fact that you don't lose them when you die. They're not a reward, they're an inevitability. They cannot be stopped, and all members of the team have them. Meanwhile in TF2, the same concept exists: a powerful ability that takes a long time to charge up. But only the medic has it, they lose it all when they die, and TF2 medics are fragile in a way that not a single member of the OW cast can be. Any class in TF2 other than medic can kill a medic in 2 hits, taking 2 seconds at the very most. No shields to hide behind, either. And then it's all gone, you come back with 0%. Ubercharge is your reward for surviving and doing your job, and if you gently caress up, it's gone.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Doctor Reynolds posted:

TF2 was a beautifully balanced game that got sloppy as time went on, whereas OW sucked from the start. Goddamn the maps are bad. Like, say what you will about the shittiness of TF2's starting maps, at least even 2fort has sewers to get into the enemy base if you don't feel like crossing the bridge! No OW map has that, it's just pure chokepoints.

I thought overwatch was a little rough, at the start, but also that there was a lot to like in there.

then it turned out that all the stuff I liked were oversights by the devs that were then corrected and that the rough stuff was all on purpose

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

overwatch has "alternate routes" but overwatch's idea of an "alternate route" is "another door 5 feet to the right of the main door"

alternate routes in overwatch exist but are vestigial: everything about the game encourages teams to clump together into a big group to maintain the greatest coverage of defences and healing. If this clump isn't located at the objective, you lose.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

soldier 76 is really bad right now because he sucks rear end against the current meta comps(stacked tanks and healing)

unless they change things really drastically damage heros will never be in a healthy place. one of the other longest lasting meta comps was dive, which was damage based but it too was basically just a reaction to how difficult it is to individually kill someone in OW(and so dive is all about taking multiple heros with strong mobility and jumping on a single enemy to split them from their team and focus them down quickly, usually a support to cut their healing(and then they introduced a braindead support hero that specifically counters that and now playing damage heros just sucks compared to tanks and supports no matter what))

dive was still tank based, it was always D.va and Winston

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

having been gutted of most of the stuff that made it good tf2 will now die slowly and horribly

its legacy will be a game that spent more than 70% of its lifespan being bad, with good tf2 being a hazy memory relayed by old people to skeptical children

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

TF2 is fun to play right now (though I agree maybe don't put money into it), and has been fun to play for its lifespan

There's been a massive decline in quality over the past several years which seems to have finally bottomed out when, after killing all decent community servers, they removed valve servers from the browser and forced everyone to use their awful matchmaking system and then stopped updating forever. So all that exists currently is basically the worst TF2 you could play back in 2014(when it had already declined a fair bit from The Good Old Days), but which requires you to wait 5 to 10 minutes. And is on a server that probably isn't playing the map you want or has nobody on it or is filled with hackers and dropbots or gives you terrible ping. Quit out of this and try to match again and it'll put you right back in the same server, and if you open the server browser all you'll see is Skial 24/7 Hightower and achievement_idle. If you manage to navigate through all of that and get randomly deposited onto a valve server that isn't some variety of clusterfuck or find one of the few surviving community servers(if there are any, haven't checked in a year or two and it's possible the final pockets of resistance have been squashed) then you can play what is basically TF2, but with balance issues and half of both teams sitting in spawn circlejerking over their 200 dollar hats that have geysers of flame shooting out of them.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

What is everyone's favorite map?

Mine's Nucleus. I know a lot of people hate this map, but I just love it. There are almost no points in the map that are feasibly defendable, so you gotta be a shark and just keep swimming.

The upstairs area can be a little bit of a problem if a team sets up there to spawn camp from that angle, but casual is usually too disorganized for that, thankfully. Mini-sentries can be an irritation, but one direct hit soldier can put a cramp on that pretty easily. I see people say snipers have it too easy on Nucleus, but I don't understand that as it's one of very few maps where flanking sniper positions is actually easy to do.

Plus the whole place looks like a James Bond villain's doomsday device facility or something.

I'm a big fan of Steel even though I normally prefer 5cp over A/D by a large margin. I just think it's a really interesting gimmick and I like how rounds tend to progress.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

nielsm posted:

I had some pretty good rounds on Steel last night. My team seemed to not have great understanding of the map, but still held decently, until the enemy managed to sneak in on E and set up several sentry positions, while we were still only on B.
After they won the round half my team ragequit.

managing to do a hail mary on E at the last second before your team even has the bridges down is the best and is probably my favourite thing about steel

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Alternatively, having one or two scouts push E right out of the gate to draw attention off A is a real fun time. Especially if a demo or engie comes along to camp that door and really piss red off.

The standard procedure for Red is to get demos and soldiers to spam people off E, because most classes can't get onto it. Back when they added the powerjack and I figured out that it let pyros get enough of a speed boost to just barely clear the jump(you can do it a lot easier now with the detonator), me and a couple of friends managed to get a pyro testudo going on the point. There's so much dumb poo poo you can do with E, it's great.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ArfJason posted:

airblast + reserve shooter before nerfing. I almost never used it but god that was fun

airblast into reserve shooter was dumb and probably needed to be nerfed a little bit but completely destroying both aspects of it individually was too much

degreaser into axetinguisher didn't really need nerfing but even if it did rendering both useless was still not good

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Scout is a supremely powerful class that doesn't need a zero risk projectile combo for huge damage.

the risk is that you have exactly one shot, need to line yourself up at mid range for it(where most other classes are better than you), and the sandman reduces your already trash health even more

and what you get out of it is a combo that does like 170 damage, AKA slightly less than two close range shots from the stock scattergun which would be much easier to hit and not have a 30 second cooldown if you missed, and not enough to kill Soldiers or Heavies or people getting overhealed. Guillotine Sandman was a BAD combo, it sucked a lot, but it was also really fun.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Also lol at the idea of 170 damage just not being that much damage at all.

the point isn't that 170 damage is a small amount of damage, it's definitely not that, that will kill most people. The point is that 2 shots from the stock scattergun do about the same amount while being much easier to land, and missing one of the two shots doesn't make the other shot do like no damage, and you have 6 shots total instead of functionally 1, and reloading from 0 to 6 takes like 10% of the time recharging your guillotine takes, and it doesn't inherently reduce your maxhp to have it equipped, and it's faster to shoot twice with the scattergun than to sandman, switch to guillotine, and then guillotine. And yet no one is clamoring for the scattergun to get nerfed, nor should they be.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

much like the prenerf loch n load the theory behind the direct hit being a risk reward tradeoff where you need more skill to land direct hits and receive more damage in exchange is broken by the fact that they also get huge projectile speed buffs which make it 10 times easier to actually land hits, meaning that they just become the Scoutfucker 9000

of course soldier is never allowed to be nerfed ever so unlike the loch n load this will remain true forever even though the direct hit was actually the far more egregious example

EDIT: that said I actually don't want them to nerf the direct hit because at some point I got really good at airblasting direct hit rockets and the fact that one reflected direct hit plus one flare/shotgun shot will kill a soldier means that I get to own everyone who uses the stupid thing, which i like

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Jul 29, 2019

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ChaseSP posted:

Sandman and Guillotine didn't replace your main weapon like the Direct Hit did. You don't lose nearly as much if you're bad with them compared if you can't use the direct hit worth poo poo, especially since as a scout you can easily get the gently caress out even with 0 ammo in everything and low health

you literally would be more effectively being kind of good with the scattergun and literally never switching weapons than you would be by being incredible with the sandman/guillotine and using the scattergun sometimes

like the amount of time you spend switching to and using them as a combo would, 100%, be better spent with the scattergun out either shooting people or reloading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Galaxander posted:

Barrelling into a group of enemies each of whom can 2-shot you is more risk than tossing out a couple projectiles at range and then scampering away.
yeah but tossing out the guillotine/sandman at range and running away leads to like, maybe one of them hitting someone and causing 45 damage, which you can still do. the actual combo required you to land both of them, which I can guarantee you will never, ever happen just flinging them out at range while running away. The sandman didn't even actually stop people from moving during the heyday of this combo so you could just like, keep moving and dodge the followup, also. Additionally, close range is actually the scout's best place to fight, believe it or not, since it's harder to track them with your gun when they're right on top of you and that's where their primary does the most damage. Mid range is actually prime territory for them to get hosed over by projectile classes tracking their movements and splashing them, and the amount of time actually required to get both parts of the combo off(which requires switching weapons and changing your aim because they have different arcs) is less than the amount of time it takes a soldier to shoot two rockets at you and kill you, and remaining evasive while trying to line up two difficult to land projectiles with different trajectories to hit the same moving target close together is actually really hard, and results in about as much damage as just shooting them with the scattergun twice.