Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I also want to voice support for a goonlander reunion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

Why did this awful matchmaking replace the server browser, again?

Because as they finally finished creating a matchmaking feature, they were terrified that it wouldn't be popular.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Do you actually get better rewards if you complete a contract with all the bonus objectives?

You get more stars, which allow you to unlock contracts that need multiple stars. In the pyro ones, just the banana contract.

I haven't tried the jungle contracts yet, but I imagine those bonus objectives also get you more 'blood money'.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Soldier isn't best at much, but is 2nd or 3rd best at everything. In a league where 3/4 of your team had to be the same class, the winning choice would far and away be soldier. This bothers some people, makes perfect sense to others. (A matter of taste?) Calling soldier "the best class" is accurate in a very real sense, but if I were god of TF2, making changes to soldier wouldn't be anywhere near the top of my list.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Xander77 posted:

I still hate how you can no longer work on two contracts at once (really, you should be able to work on a bunch).

Why can't I do the soldier and black box contracts at the same time, so I can try and fail to dive-bomb people 20 times instead of 40?

That's probably a casualty of the "friends can do your contracts" system. Which is kind of neat, but that's all.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The very core of the DR is one that shouldn't be on a good weapon. It's not a weapon that "tricks" anyone ever, it's a weapon that lets you ignore getting shot temporarily, which can make it take more of your precious time to kill a spy (AFTER they've already been caught out) than other classes.

I'd theoretically even prefer it if it gave you a free, instantaneous teleport to any point of your choosing, but no ongoing damage mitigation. If someone knows exactly where you are and shoots at that location repeatedly, you should die quickly. Ubercharge is difficult to build for a reason.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Contrary to popular belief, community servers were killed when quick-play was added. That was the needle in the spine; keeping them fed via that same quickplay was just life support.

As soon as a randomizer replaced the favorites menu as the most efficient way for players to connect, the "community" aspect of community servers stopped being automatically fed, instead requiring a continuous struggle to maintain. Some legacies lasted longer than others, but nothing new could grow.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Those ad servers fed off the quickplay traffic. Back when everyone connected manually, there was enough of a discerning playerbase to keep true community servers alive -- they were subsumed by the lovely ones once actually choosing your servers became a niche activity, and word-of-mouth "hey ducksoup gaming is a good channel, try that one" stopped.

To put it another way: good community servers were killed by the bad ones when quickplay was created, the bad ones were mercy-killed when quick-play stopped feeding them.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Feb 13, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I keep wanting to get into Overwatch, but I wish they had even a single class that's close-range with long delays between shots. TF2's mostly about shotguns and explosives that require you to dodge around for a second before you shoot again. Everything's a hose in Overwatch, even its shotguns, and I don't enjoy damage hoses.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can't begin to decide whether it's more plausible that it's genuine, or that these guys go around doing impromptu performances on TF2 servers.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

5cp is my favorite game mode, but it could definitely use a failsafe to prevent stalemates that last forever. The favorite suggestion I remember hearing was to scale "time added" down as the game goes on, like maybe from full time added at the fifth capture down to only 5 seconds at the tenth capture and beyond. Still leaves room for comebacks, but if one team is heavily fortified on last and just occasionally taking their second for a brief period, then the game eventually ends in their loss.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

Something changed with very low price sales so that you dont beed the auth

Oh hey, that would explain it. I decided to sell all the trading cards I've been accumulating to get a few bucks off Obra Dinn whenever I get around to playing it, and when I went to list the second half of them today, I was confused by the change. Good, that was obnoxious.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Apparently yesterday was the 666th day since the last of those TF2 comics.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I miss sitting on a server for multiple maps and getting to know who the strong players are, seeing them both on the other team and on your own. When matchmaking took that experience away, it kind of sapped my enthusiasm to play, even though I know it's kind of a peripheral thing.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Pyro (with shotgun secondary) was my favorite way to play for a long time. It's the most health you can have running around at 100% speed with TF2's great shotgun, which compliments the flamethrower better than some people think.

Eventually I realized that the shotgun itself was 90% of what made me enjoy the class, so I started playing more combat engineer, and then finally gave in and played mostly scout.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

If they just implemented some silly "help build the bridge to the moon" event where your score was a (maybe slightly indirect) measure of how much metal you burned for the event, refined's value would skyrocket and the tf2 economy would experience a fun phase of chaos.

Hire me Valve

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They added a line to that paragraph:

quote:

Item tradability, restoration, and the refund support page will be made available in about a week's time. Refunds will be the full price paid for any hats, crates or keys bought on the Steam Community Market or Mann Co. store. We will post an update when that exact date becomes available.

I'd interpret that to mean: if you bought the hat from the market, you get credited that amount. If you opened a crate you just had, you get credited what you paid for the key. If you bought the crate from the market and opened it, you get back what you paid for the crate and the key.

It's impressive if they have the ability to easily implement all that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah hold 'em involves pairs and two-pair hands winning a lot more often than a newbie might think, but also you should fold without even seeing the 'flop' (first three center cards) more often than a newbie might think.

Basically the tycho AI has the right idea, fold unless you have something likelier-than-average to win. But they might have made him exaggerate it as a weakness.

Man this is making me want to play Poker Night 1 and 2 again. RIP telltale btw.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 5, 2019

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah. There are still imperatives to keep your job in Valve's "flat structure", but instead of getting clear instructions you have to play office politics to learn what those imperatives are. It sounds exhausting.

I'm sure the Campo Santo people chose to spend their time on the Alyx project and the Dota Underlords project, but I'm also sure that decision was influenced by the need to get on the right side of the right people.

They all removed "working on In the Valley of Gods" from their twitter profiles simultaneously one week.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Dec 18, 2019

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Unfun implementation of an ice power in an FPS: creating a wall.

What would be fun: deployable ice slick zone, where your control over your momentum is the same as midair.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I mainly play gunboats soldier unless I’m just messing around, so I gotta ask, what is wrong with rocket jumping? As far as I can tell it works as intended.

It works as intended because they're replicating an unintended mechanic from earlier Source engine games.

If rocket jumping was designed on purpose from the start, you wouldn't have the "don't press W or you kill your momentum" situation. It's not that terrible, but it's unintuitive in that "this is just how things turned out because the physics were being made with other things in mind" sort of way that nobody would come up with in a design document.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 22, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In a TF3, they'd probably make it easier to learn how to rocket jump in a straight line, but preserve the fun steering-with-A-and-D-and-mouselook controls as an "advanced" technique.

I imagine they'd accomplish this by refining how WASD work so that W doesn't cap your speed. And possibly making it so if you just shoot straight down while jumping and holding W (the naive thing every novice jumper tries), the rocket would be tweaked slightly behind you to launch you at an ideal angle -- but in other circumstances, you could still place your rocket wherever you want it for advanced jumping.

What I'm doing here is called "game design fanfic".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

ArfJason posted:

What. Explosive jumping is intended. it was unintended (and even this is debated) on quake 1. Tf2 very explicitly mentions it in a lot of parts as a part of soldiers design. What is unintended are side effects like slope surfs but thats less rocket jumping and more going at high velocities on slopes at angles close to parallel to them. Hell, surfing was unintended in goldsrc, but had been somewhat canonized and intentionally kept when making source. What im most worried about a hypoethetical tf3 is engine quirks making the translation not be 1:1 but given surfing is almost the exact same going goldsrc -> source i probably dont have much to worry about.

I didn't mean to claim explosive jumping as a concept was unintended. The developers of Team Fortress 2 and its ancestors clearly had it in mind while designing the weapons and classes. The Rocket Jump Waltz ad came out before the Meet the Team series started, iirc!

The specific way your controls affect your motion while midair (i.e. don't touch W or it'll fail) was just kept from the Source engine default, which wasn't designed while thinking about explosive jumps being a core gameplay feature. A revision of midair movement physics could conceivably "fix" explosive jumping to be easier to start learning without ruining the fun parts.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 23, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I mean turtle engineer is boring as well but people still play it. I don’t think I’ve used anything but the gunslinger in a long time.

I remember trying old-fashioned combat engie without the gunslinger a bunch and enjoying that, too. Losing the 25 health, 25 metal and the fast deploy definitely isn't worth it, but if you can slip a L1 somewhere further forward than people expect it you can take a lot of people by surprise with the extra damage it does over the minisentry.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I can't read anything into stuff taking longer than expected, these days. There are like several really good reasons just built into the world of 2020.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Started playing again this week for the first time in years, though I've been keeping an eye on it this whole time (by which I mean, reading this thread).

It's weird coming back after so long! It's interesting how they've tried to make matchmaking more like old servers (with the "next map" vote), though it still feels way more impersonal. I still think the ability to switch teams was a positive for the game.

There are even weapons I'm not familiar with, from the "Jungle Inferno" update, and I missed a bunch of balance patches. I think the "panic attack" became a completely different gun like two or three times, right?

I'm surprised the "competitive matchmaking" enforces 6v6 but doesn't have a highlander mode. I feel like highlander is a more attractive-to-the-masses mode, and a nice halfway point between the seriousness levels of 6v6 and just tryharding in casual games. I imagine a lot of people dipping their toes into that mode give up quickly because they're not allowed to play Pyro or something.

...anyway, I know it hasn't been too long since someone asked this, but it's hard to search and circumstances seem to change pretty quickly. What are some decent community servers these days? I saw one or two goon servers going up as pandemic lockdown started, but I think they died right?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 11, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Well gently caress them with a rusty rake then
Lol, what? This seems like the most reasonable "we're closing" message I've ever seen. They mentioned seven major problems, none of which sound like BS to me, and which together make a pretty good case for being "overwhelmed".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hey, while I was paying less attention to the game for a few years, and there were some updates I missed (like Jungle Inferno)... did they ever add my #1 wish, a Lugermorph strangifier? My hopes aren't high but I thought I'd ask.

EDIT: remembered the wiki exists. No dice.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've accidentally voted F1 too fast a couple times, but I've learned my lesson and now I basically only vote yes on the (ridiculously common) bots with 'bot' or an irc url in their name.

EDIT: I've started even ignoring the pro/con arguments in text and voice chat, after this incident:

Someone was being kicked for "abusing exploits" that the vote-caller refused to describe, for the sake of not publicizing the exploit. That sounded plausible, and the votee wasn't piping up to defend themself, so I voted to kick. Afterward, the vote-caller was pressured into admitting that the offending "exploit" was "spamming an action that raises your scoreboard points a lot a lot without contributing much to the game". It was about the goddamn scoreboard.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Aug 20, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I've always felt like the timer behavior for 5cp should be modified (at least for 12v12 games) to have diminishing returns on "time added" if the same point keeps getting retaken repeatedly. Such that the match will inevitably end, threatening the imminent loss of any team that can't push past their own 2nd.

In fact, in my ideal version of 5cp, each type of capture event (red takes mid, red takes 4th, red retakes their 2nd, ditto each for blue) would only add time the first time it happens. A lot more games would end based on who holds mid when the timer runs out, but I think that's preferable.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Aug 21, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I haven't had a chance to play it since I started playing again, but I remember liking 5Gorge, and being the only person who seemed to like 5Gorge. Was I an idiot? Maybe I'll find out today!

EDIT: Also, whoever was the last to name their map out of Batwater, Snakewater and Swiftwater was a jerk. I'm never 100% sure if I'm picturing the right map when reading the name Snakewater and Swiftwater.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 22, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah, G2A is the biggest reason small developers have to deal with an unending flood of fake "hey I'm a streamer can I have 20 keys" emails.

And when credit card # thieves buy keys then resell them on G2A, it ends up coming out of the devs' pockets. The purchases all get reversed when the bank discovers the theft, but the keys have already been resold to unaware "customers". The thieves keep the payout, and the devs get hit with a chargeback fee and the choice of whether it's worth the hassle to deactivate the fraudulent keys (it usually isn't).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

So use Steam or Gog and let them buffer you from that poo poo.

Oh right you don’t want to pay their platform fees because “Steam doesn’t provide any value-add”. Carry on.

I don't understand what you're saying? A lot of the problem we're talking about is related to, for instance, Steam keys being resold on G2A.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Ok? I guess you're a making a point perpendicular to the current subject, because none of that makes G2A good. I was just elaborating on why some devs would rather you pirate than buy from G2A. I don't know the details about how credit card thefts intersect with steam's merchant account.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

Worth mentioning that yesterday was also the anniversary for Team Fortress.

Bots celebrated TF2's birthday by naming themselves "Ditocoaf" and votekicking me. Twice in a row. I saw several others fall prey to this tactic or narrowly escape it that same night. It was a hellscape. It makes votekicking a much bigger hassle, as you usually have to deny the first vote, then hash things out in chat to make sure the real bot is getting kicked.

It's like there's a whole ecosystem where the bots named "irc.hack.bot" proliferate until everyone has a hair trigger on votekicks, then name-copying bots proliferate by taking advantage of that until everyone's wary of votekicks again.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Aug 24, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

What I don't get is what do the assholes making those bots get out of this

I've been trying to figure this out too. Presumably someone's paying them, which is why the bots straight-up advertise what they are and who made them. But how is there enough of a clientele for "watching a tf2 account repeatedly get a few headshots then get votekicked" to support this apparently thriving industry? It's not like there are extrinsic rewards for blindly playing the game, farming drops can be done on an idle server.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Taciturn Tactician posted:

So I hear there's some update which apparently ruins lerp 0, a thing I didn't know about until it was removed and couldn't use with my terrible connection anyway, but does that actually impact the game much?

e: also is there still a discord?

The minimum interpolation was supposed to be 0.015, enforced by capping the cl_updaterate at a maximum of 66 and the cl_interp_ratio at a minimum of 1. (so 1/66th of a second ~ 0.0152). Some servers (not valve servers) removed caps on stuff like that. I take it that isn't allowed anymore.

All this does is let some players to gain a sliver more "accuracy to where the server says objects are" at the expense of things sometimes jittering around a bit as updates come in. Minimal interpolation is preferred by pyros for reflects, spies for trickstabs, and some projectile class players. Normal interpolation is good in all other cases, especially for hitscan weapons, since the server respects your client's smoothed version of history when it comes to hit detection.

Either way, I think the difference between 0 interpolation and 15 milliseconds of interpolation is negligable. People who mess with these settings are still essentially getting what benefit they can, which is already marginal.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 29, 2020

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

Also the "if you're in range of your own stickies it'll only det enough of them to kill you and the rest will shatter" thing is wild.

I'm guessing somewhere early in TF2's development, someone decided that suicide tactics needed to be discouraged for some reason.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Soldier isn't best at any combat range, but he's in the top four of every combat range. Then, he's something like third at mobility, and second-tankiest. He's not a "jack of all trades", he's top-tier at all trades.

But yeah, this:

harrygomm posted:

instead of making the game less fun when playing soldier why not bring the weaker classes up in power so that they too are fun

It looks like this discussion started by someone saying "talking about class nerfs is dumb because they're all worse than soldier". I haven't actually seen anyone say "nerf soldier".

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

harrygomm posted:

guy right above me said

Ah never mind, I guess I missed that. Still my idea was to point out where this started, saying "don't nerf anyone because they're all in the shadow of The Good Class." I was agreeing with you, buff everyone else until they're as good as soldier.