Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

hosed up by seeing myself quoted in the OP because I somehow constantly manage to forget how much of my life I sunk into making TF2 maps.

Someday, Valve... Someday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I started it up again the other morning because I've been feeling disillusioned with Overwatch and Splatoon 2 and I hated everything I saw in the in-game chat but drat if all the good bullshit of this game didn't come flooding back to me. I'm back in and I hate it.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Did the Neon Annihilator ever break when it scored a crit? I don't think it did.

A lot of the nerfs are baffling but there's quality of life stuff like "the bottles break again and the Sandvich gets the bite taken out of it again" that I'm happy for. I'm looking forward to tons of glitches that go unfixed for 6 months though!

EDIT: The last truly new weapons they added were three years ago :stare:

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 20, 2017

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Pyro Reserve Shooter no longer minicrits airblasted enemies, but minicrits enemies knocked around by the Thermal Thruster, which is equipped to the same slot as the Reserve Shooter... Uhhhhh. I guess they're going for team shenanigans but it reads like one of the dumbest things on this list. That doesn't really balance this.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Wait where does it say it works against explosive jumpers. it just says "flying via jetpack"

Reserve Shooter already did this by default (it's also equippable by Soldier). It minicrits all airborne enemies; now it doesn't minicrit airblasted foes though.

I think I just misunderstood the language, it says "Attacks on targets flying via the Thermal Thruster" which made me envision "attacks on enemies who were knocked flying by the Thermal Thruster." Minicrits on enemy Pyros who are flying with the Thruster makes a lot more sense. My bad, that's fine, I just completely forgot how this all works

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The things I like in this: Pocket Pistol change, Righteous Bison returns, Cow Mangler finally not a liability to my team if a Medic doesn't remember its bizarre and obscure quirk

Changes that baffle me: I had to look up the Razorback and Eviction Notice to see if they were changed in the intervening years worthy of nerfing them, and I just forgot or didn't notice. The Razorback wasn't, and while I never played 6v6 I cannot possibly imagine the Razorback was a problem item in any scenario ever. The Eviction Notice was, and it seems maybe a little harsh for what it is but maybe I'd get it a little more if I had played. I get why people are happy about the Claymore That I Can't Spell Right getting reverted but I kinda hate it inherently when weapons outright require another weapon to be functional? I wish they had allowed that to have some more utility without making it just a shittier Eyelander.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

My friends tear into me for the amount of hours I've clocked in TF2 and I always attempt to justify it with "500 of those hours were on idle servers!" as if that makes anything better.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

QwertySanchez posted:

It does also have the advantage that you get the extended melee range (which with TF2's janky melee is a big advantage) without it reducing your health or making you not have any ammo etc.. 15% damage vulnerability isn't too bad. If you don't wanna go full flying rear end in a top hat with the pan you can use the claymor and give it a new angle.

Also I feel like the demo should have a melee that does more damage the lower health you have like soldier and sniper.

Hey you know what, that's not a particularly call for how to use that thing. Well I'll be.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Banana Bay is actually really fun. Captures everything enjoyable about Hightower but the point is also achievable. It even apes the ending of Cactus Valley... ball's in your court Valve :colbert:

I can't believe I'm having fun with TF2. I hate that I'm having fun with TF2.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nielsm posted:

Is anyone else getting visual glitches like this on some of the new maps?

I tried doing a Verify Game Files in Steam but it doesn't seem like it repaired anything.

No, but I've heard other people in chat complain about "polygons appearing" and I was very confused till now

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Gas Passer is a really cool item idea on paper but sucks in practice. It takes far too long to charge to be useful.

I really dig the new maps. Banana Bay is an instant classic, Mossrock is cool but it has some busted particle effects and the train is very janky (you can't stand on it properly, compared to the Banana Bay one which works as it should)

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Banana Bay is all the fun of Hightower except it actually loving ends eventually

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

I like how the Loose Cannon contract has a bonus for sticky grenade kills. Way to rub it in, eh, Valve?

Edit: Also the Double Donk bonus objective doesn't work.

It only works on Ubercharged enemies. Dead serious

Also I've heard several people say the Thermal Thruster's "500 afterburn in one life" only tallies when using the Backburner, which is consistent with my own experiences but I can't factually confirm

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

re: crits I kinda feel like the #1 reason they still exist is because Valve would have to rebalance a lot of weapons where that is the only downside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Butt Detective posted:

It's something to do with eating a Dalokohs Bar and then pulling out the GRU, which ups your health or something? You can keep doing it to get as much health as you want, though it can take a while. Most of the Heavies doing it don't seem to realise they can just be backstabbed and have all those minutes spent building up health wasted.

Heavy seems pretty busted by the update. The Holiday Punch gloves make him into some sort of final boss encounter.