Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
They need to fix the engineer issue on Mercenary park.

There is a small room that engineers glitch (TP?) into. I think the room is to the right of red's initial spawn.

Engineers sneak into the room and build junk. Sentries can shoot out through wall, but nothing can return fire.

Anyone else encounter this? I unchecked the map because it was frustrating me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

The Bee posted:

Between MvM, Mannpower, and that weird Asteroid mode, TF2 had one heck of an experimental phase, huh?

Add Arena mode to that list. The mode that valve won't acknowledge that it ever existed. If i recall correctly there isn't a matchmaking option for this mode.

I kind of liked arena mode when people weren't griefing (c&d afk spy). It made players think before feeding the meat grinder.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Did they ever add a way to obtain spells for items (colors, footprints, ghosts, pumpkins). If I recall correctly they can no longer be obtained.

If Halloween is always enabled, then is there a way to turn them off?

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One of the most underrated aspects of a good Engineer is Dispenser placement.

Good engineers should always prioritize dispenser and teleports. Keep teams alive and at the frontlines.

Level 3 dispensers are great for random fights when medics are lazy/unavailable. I like to build them near the frontlines to attract friendlies. Enemies have to break through a human wall to get TP or SG...

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

PMush Perfect posted:

Can folks give me some links to videos for mid-to-high-level tips for Heavy and/or Medic?

I don't have links, but here are some quick medic tips:

- Use crouch to surf explosions. This lets you fly "away" from the other things fired at you.

- Don't pocket, but make sure people understand your intentions. Try to make it obvious when you plan to follow them into nasty battles.

- Understand that some people are lost causes. Don't follow random idiots to their deaths.

- An early uber is better than dropping it. Don't wait for the "perfect" moments.

- Eat the SG pushback when ubering. The pushback screws up weapon aiming for the uber recipient. Bonus points for getting behind an engi nest so the sg kills them.

- Overheal lighter attack classes at the starf too. Scouts and pyros love the overheal.

- Learn to arc Crossbow and Syringe shots to destroy far away people and buildings.

- The amputater saw that AE heals on taunt is a gimmick, but can be fun if you're not serious. Teammates will glow with a ring while getting healed, but spies will not glow. It's a funny way to spycheck, but may result in a backstab.

- if you're not super serious the regular bonesaw can be deadly as a last resort. The second or third hit is a guaranteed critical hit. Use a mix of ranged attacks and melee attacks for best results.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Otacon posted:

Maybe expect a surge in hackers in the coming weeks/months - CSGO source code as of Operation Hydra and TF2 source code as of Jungle Inferno was leaked.

Maybe someone will use the code as reference to build TF3. We know Valve doesn't want to do it...

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
Updates are welcome, but they need to fix the bots. Teams are getting better at kicking them, but I see 1-3 every round.

There are some engineer sentry glitches they should fix too. Saw one on Nucleus where engineer locked down enemy base. They went to the middle then out onto those platforms. Built TP out of bounds.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003
The weapons are balanced with criticals, so taking them away makes weapon balance worse. (See all 'no critical' weapons)

The way criticals are implemented isn't always the best though. I like the guaranteed second hit critical on certain melee weapons like medic bonesaw. The heavy weapon "crit forever until you miss" is not cool.

Critical rockets/grenades suck to get hit by, but they're very visible once you know what they are. A reasonable change would let critical explosives glow, but only hit for critical damage after a certain range is traversed.

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

ChaseSP posted:

I'd say the Wrangler still affords the sentry way too much extra tank as an easy get out of jail free card for anything but a really solid push for your sentry.

Persistent soldier/demos can still destroy things, but it takes more than one volley.

Wrangler already took a huge nerf when they added damage spread for long range. The same update also increased the delay before a sentry returns to auto mode.

Wrangler is balanced because the shield isn't that powerful and the best uses require level 3 rockets. Rocket blasting a pile of demo stickies away from sentry will never get old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arae
Jul 27, 2003

Whitenoise Poster posted:

It's absolutely a different situation and won't be nearly as successful because TF2 is still around and free to play and STILL has a decent player base....

It doesn't matter that people still enjoy TF2 because bots and cheaters killed TF2. Casual servers are full of cheaters. Ranked matches have even more cheaters.

Valve also refuses to fix any out of bounds sentry glitches. It's impossible to play multiple maps because every match ends with invincible level 3 sentry outside spawn.

The only remaining servers are custom servers with dedicated admins to kick cheaters. Those servers also have the sweatiest tryhard players so they aren't fun.