Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Losing Berry is part of it but Sutton has gotta go, he has lost his drat mind this year with all the 3 man rushes, turning Justin Houston into a coverage backer, and all the man coverage. The Chiefs look kinda like the Vermeil teams of the early 2000s now where the D can’t get any stops and the offense has to shoot it out, and don’t think this offense is quite at that level although it’s certainly more fun than last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Losing Berry is part of it but Sutton has gotta go, he has lost his drat mind this year with all the 3 man rushes, turning Justin Houston into a coverage backer, and all the man coverage. The Chiefs look kinda like the Vermeil teams of the early 2000s now where the D can’t get any stops and the offense has to shoot it out, and don’t think this offense is quite at that level although it’s certainly more fun than last year

Sorry about your Lost Season

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Qwijib0 posted:

:ssh: I wanted a missed XP and OT.

That XP was sooo close to being missed. Also lol commentators talking up the return of Seabass. Kicking has been a hot topic this year for a lot of teams

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
https://streamable.com/q1yd2

Nice.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Your OC really needs to get his poo poo together (or be fired in favor of bringing Musgrave back). That play worked out somehow but there were so many times last night you guys had two receivers running basically the same route.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Sorry about your Lost Season

seems like a pretty reason take on the chiefs :shrug:

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Dang I totally forgot that Musgrave was with the Broncos now

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Eli Wiggum posted:

Dang I totally forgot that Musgrave was with the Broncos now

The Broncos went full on division incest during the offseason

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I agree about our OC. Musgrave pissed me off a few times last season but the last 4 weeks the offense seemed to regress so much. A large part of that blame has to be put on our oline allowing Carr to get knocked around so much before last night's game and Cooper for dropping a lot of passes.

Thinking back on it though I really hope someone explains if it was a broken play or a terrible play call that led to Carr trying the 3rd and 10 QB draw that led to Lynch getting ejected.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Uterine Lineup posted:

I agree about our OC. Musgrave pissed me off a few times last season but the last 4 weeks the offense seemed to regress so much. A large part of that blame has to be put on our oline allowing Carr to get knocked around so much before last night's game and Cooper for dropping a lot of passes.

Thinking back on it though I really hope someone explains if it was a broken play or a terrible play call that led to Carr trying the 3rd and 10 QB draw that led to Lynch getting ejected.
Post-game Carr said he audibled to the draw, but I feel like he’s just protecting Downing. Fire Todd.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It blows my mind Bill "Christian Ponders OC" Musgrave turned out to be a good OC.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
https://twitter.com/ClayWendler/status/921240345957998593/photo/1

It probably wouldn't have changed anything but Jesus loving Christ. That's the Chiefs rushing 6 on the game deciding play and sending Justin Houston out in coverage.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Defensive coverage schemes are really a conundrum. You can go 90% man like the Chiefs and end up with horrible mismatches like Houston on AB in a playoff game, yet for most of the season, against the vast majority of teams it works just fine. You can have the 90% off-man zone like the Steelers where it works well against almost every team, yet gets you destroyed in the playoffs by Brady.

The only teams that really seem to have it down for modern football are the Seahawks and Broncos who run a true mix of man, press and zone coverages AND are good at all of them, and seamlessly shift in and out of all 3. The Falcons, Jags, Bills, Cards, Skins and Panthers shift between coverages with lesser degrees of success too, and I bet it's coming for the Rams too (bc Wade).

The Steelers have been such poo poo at pass defense for so long that I got really interested in coverages last season fwiw

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

It's a reddit link, but someone did a pretty decent coverage of the Vikings 3rd down defense so far. It gets into coverages and Zimmer's Double A Gap look.

Vikings 3rd Down Defense

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Grittybeard posted:

Your OC really needs to get his poo poo together (or be fired in favor of bringing Musgrave back). That play worked out somehow but there were so many times last night you guys had two receivers running basically the same route.

That happened 3-4 times and was driving me nuts. Below was another complaint of mine but is partially on Carr's unwillingness to turn his back to the field. Also utilized more screens, which the Raiders have been adverse to. Downing may have turned a corner last night.

https://twitter.com/FallonSmithNBCS/status/921360843828105217

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
I can't remember if I saw it on twitter from a beat writer or read it elsewhere but someone was saying they thought that Downing was saving plays specifically for this game.

Not sure if I buy that or this but Romo kept saying the Raiders were stealing plays from the Steelers. If that's the case then Downing should just keep doing that.

I'd feel more comfortable about the Raiders playoff chances if they weren't 1-2 in the division and 3-4 overall but thankfully the rest of the AFC hasn't been stellar so a wild card spot is still very much on the table. I'm more worried about the Bills game then I was at the start of the season.

nbzl
Apr 5, 2002

Don't worry about the horse being blind, just load the wagon.
It also seemed like they allowed Carr much more freedom pre-snap and used more Richard/Washington instead of trying to establish Lynch. Hopefully this is the strategy they use moving forward.

edit: Carr seemed really off on a lot of throws but I attribute that to the back injury

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

nbzl posted:

It also seemed like they allowed Carr much more freedom pre-snap and used more Richard/Washington instead of trying to establish Lynch. Hopefully this is the strategy they use moving forward.

edit: Carr seemed really off on a lot of throws but I attribute that to the back injury

to be fair, Raiders dropped seven catch-able balls last night. Also, as good as Carr has been, the Raiders have very rarely run play-action or RB screens. Last night saw a fair amount of both. Hopefully, that continues.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Tony Romo has been a commentator for seven weeks now and he is already the best one I've heard in over 30 years of watching this god drat sport. qtiyd

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Remember when ppl used to think Mike “I call that burping the baby” Mayock was a good, insightful commenter

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Romo just sounds so excited the whole time.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Fenrir posted:

Tony Romo has been a commentator for seven weeks now and he is already the best one I've heard in over 30 years of watching this god drat sport. qtiyd

Second best. He's a lot like a young Jay Gruden.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Remember when ppl used to think Mike “I call that burping the baby” Mayock was a good, insightful commenter

He was annoying but he actually tried which was a novel thing, although I know you hated him all along.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Fenrir posted:

He's the best surprise of this season so far

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Fenrir posted:

I still like Madden more, probably due to nostalgic reasons, but he was fantastic before he got a little too incoherent in his later years.

Also he drew tons of penises

nah
Mar 16, 2009

No one will top Madden

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Fenrir posted:

hes good and i like that he seems to get jim nantz excited as well

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

I'm sure Nantz is very happy to call games with anyone not named Phil Simms

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

The_Hat posted:

I'm sure Nantz is very happy to call games with anyone not named Phil Simms

He's so bad on Sirius radio too. He's pulled the trifecta.

Bad commentator on TV, videogames (Madden), and radio.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Pat Summerall and Keith Jackson are the best

well, were

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

keith jackson was incredible.

The best part of Madden was he came up just as the telestrator was becoming a thing and he just loved loving around with it.

like he was able to break down plays immediately

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I might have gone too far there, because yeah Madden before he got too nutty was incredible. Especially with how fast he could break down plays. Still, really enjoying Romo. I love when he calls a play ahead of time and it happens just how he said it.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Also, when crazy or dumb poo poo happens Romo often just busts out laughing and doesn't even try to stay composed, which I like.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

He calls the Eagles preseason games and is really good at it because he knows everyone on the roster and can talk about bubble players intelligently.

I like him.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Bears
Defense: very good
Offense: very bad

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
What Mitch has done to boost Eddie Jackson's confidence is amazing.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

sean10mm posted:

Also, when crazy or dumb poo poo happens Romo often just busts out laughing and doesn't even try to stay composed, which I like.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

This panthers team will still poo poo themselves into striking distance of the playoffs

However the entire offensive coaching staff needs to be replaced

If that meant firing Rivera as well I’d be for it if Jerry were dead. But god knows the panthers would just hire another defensive coordinator.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
The Vikings have a deep team, a lot deeper than I thought going into the season. Still, they need Teddy or Sam to come back and be Not Bad if they want to do anything more than win the NFC North.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

FizFashizzle posted:

This panthers team will still poo poo themselves into striking distance of the playoffs

However the entire offensive coaching staff needs to be replaced

If that meant firing Rivera as well I’d be for it if Jerry were dead. But god knows the panthers would just hire another defensive coordinator.

I mean, someone has to win the South.

Jameis was really good today, especially against a really good Bills D. The defense continued to be poo poo.

• Locked thread