Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
i love optimizing my solutions. i have to force myself to move on and come back later. here's my progression on the first non-tutorial level:

naive first try:

then i realized, you can pick up and place faster with two arms on the mercury. also cricically the arm that puts it in the sink is not the same arm that kicks off the cycle at the source:

then i realized, you can save instructions by not resetting at the end of a cycle. namely the 6 arm rotator can drop the gold then pick up the next gold without having to rotate shaving a cycle. Likewise, if the mercury arm going last is not the one going first, it can pipeline and reset while the other is moving. so i got it down to this:

after removing some cruft and compacting:

i don't think you can get much faster than that. then i tried to make something as cheap as possible and it ended up being super compact too:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
yeah you're right i couldn't figure out how to avoid the collision but of course you put the lead on the outside. nice.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
also don't go on reddit or you'll just spoil the optimal solution which takes a lot out of it.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
pipelining is the key to low cycle counts. make sure the first thing to go ends before the last thing to do something. for the source that you will need the highest count of, make sure you are picking something up from it on every odd cycle.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
haha don't feel bad man that was the final result of an iterative process. try to do it again starting with two arms on the light blue since you need twice as many of them, then fit in the teal one where it will link and finally an output arm. i guarantee you'll at least in the ballpark.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
nice time cost tradeoff

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I shaved another cycle off. Remember to make your dropper arms spokes so you don't have to reset them I guess

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
idk but he came and gave a talk at my office and he is exactly like you would imagine he is.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ Yeah sure. I've only posted them for the first few puzzles in chapter one anyway.

gonadic io posted:

meanwhile this one is f*cking awesome as h*ck but i have no idea why it works. i built it, but the fact that it worked surprised me

oh man you can extend the spokes on wheels this is a gamechanger

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
man the ones in chapter five are pretty tough...

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
jfc the lipstick one took me about 3 hours I think

It's definitely possible to speed it up since I only pull 3 salt every 4 cycles but drat my head already hurts.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

jfc the lipstick one took me about 3 hours I think

It's definitely possible to speed it up since I only pull 3 salt every 4 cycles but drat my head already hurts.

2 hours more refactoring. saves 2 cycles :smithicide:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
if you beat the game you get a prize :3:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
solve this, bithc

I think it's actually too big to put on the steam workshop. I get an upload error. I'll post back when I hear back from them and have a working link so you wusses can have a crack.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fayez Butts posted:

you're right, I see it now

"YPO OSS"

(sorry fuzzy mammal)

yeah i had to take liberties to keep it within the hexagram and also get 5 point height. i tried to make the o's like on the green amber switcher icon dos style.

y p
o o
s s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

:whatup:

• Locked thread