Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CirclMastr posted:

Wait there's no breaching doors with shotguns or placed charges? Now I'm sad. :(

All doors that can be opened are instantly opened or closed when activated.

You can shoot through doors and walls :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

chitoryu12 posted:

All doors that can be opened are instantly opened or closed when activated.

You can shoot through doors and walls :getin:

Subject to bugs, and the projectiles have to penetrate, of course. It is entirely possible to blow yourself away with a shotgun trying to do this - I've done it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
But you can totally clear rooms without entering them and it's great. Personally I don't care what I role I play eventually, but I'd prefer something with lots of dakka and explosions. But I'll be happy to fill whatever roll helps the team.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I'm content to watch this unfold, but please, make much dakka and commit a few war crimes for me guys. Also :laffo: @ unrepentant necrophiliac doctor, Fatal Attraction in the Scandinavian armed forces and the little Provo that couldn't

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I've always been interested in trying 7.62. I think Squint's LP is where I first heard of the game too, though from memory I didn't read much of it and it was instead Sperglord Actual's LP that really got me interested in it. (So thanks, Mr Actual. I enjoyed the LP.)

Man, the attention to detail with the guns, equipment and various elements of small squad tactics in 7.62 is fantastic. Magazines that are actual objects that you load with individual rounds? Different types of load-bearing equipment that hold different amounts? Two different durability stats for one weapon? It's like... Yes. This is what I want in computer games. Hell, I want this in games like Fallout 4.

It's a shame the game is so clunky to play (or at least appears that way). I don't know if I could do without a real-time-with-pause squad tactics system at least as good as that seen in Jagged Alliance: Back in Action. So far that's put me off trying the game myself - that and the writing. Jesus, the writing. :stare:

I'd love to see a more modern, polished take on what 7.62 is trying to do. It's one of the (many) things I find so frustrating about the new XCOM games. You could argue that games like 7.62 - and even the original X-Com games - were doing their best to accurately simulate a complex thing like small squad tactics and make it plausible (and fun) to control as a game. In contrast, it feels like the new XCOM games are simulating/abstracting other games; notably MMOs with their hotbars full of magic spells with cooldowns. It's cool that they're re-popularising what was described for so long as a dead genre, but it feels like they're studiously avoiding what I enjoy about these games.

Er... anyway, I'm keen to see how this LP plays out. Getting participant input after every five seconds of combat sounds like hard work.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Silent Storm is another game in this genre I'd love a modern version of

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Silent Storm: where lockpicking and bomb disarming are redundant skills because your main character has an MG.

Grenades were also amazing for vertical mouseholing!

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

drat right they were.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I had fun times soloing missions as a pretend ninja, especially after getting the katana and shuriken. MGs were so much fun though, dude even did the "Raaaaaarrgh" on full auto. Female Russian sniper was also fun, and pistol/knife scout for maximum executions.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Oct 23, 2017

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Aw hell, I'm late! But please sign me up as whatever comes up; I loved Squint's LP of this; I reread it just recently. And I loved your ration reviews.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I never managed to do successful stealth in that. No idea how that should go.

Loved sniping and MGs. Locked doors? Full auto. Sound contacts above/below you? Full auto. Melee range? Full loving auto.

The game had a hilarious Lithuanian sniper for hire for Germans. Tadas Škirpa, from my home town, sometimes spouting the best Lithuanian barks Google Trans can muster.

Re: bolt action rifles: how viable are they in the late game? My sniper character in 1.12 mod had to drop the Kar98k in favour of something heavier by the time blackshirts show up.

Have in mind that all the nitty gritty inventory management ideas in this game come from Jagged Alliance 2. This includes the whole "loading up mags manually" thing, though JA2 didn't have magazines as separate physical things.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Successful stealth meant three rounds from a Welrod in the back of a guys skull before disappearing again with no one the wiser, or once you had the katana, OHKs from stealth all round. Getting to that point could be a touch tricky though as early on you had low AP, no reduction to crouchwalk AP cost, etc.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ammunition

Along with choosing the right ammo for your gun, you need to choose the right ammo. Armored and unarmored targets will react differently to different bullets, and higher quality ammunition can give you the edge against someone with cheap military surplus.

* Bullet weight is exactly that. Heavier rounds generally deliver more shock.

* Muzzle velocity is how fast the bullet is traveling at the moment it exits the barrel of the gun. Higher muzzle velocity means less damage is lost at long distance thanks to the extra momentum.

* Damage HP/Shock is how much damage the bullet deals on average, along with how much shock damage it causes. Shock damage stuns the target, making them less effective.

* Penetration is how well the bullet can pass through hard materials. High penetration lets you keep up your damage as you punch through walls and heavy armor.

Before you can decide things like bullet weight, though, you need to look into what kind of bullet you’re firing.

* Full metal jacket, also called FMJ or ball, is the most common ammunition. The entire bullet except the base is covered in a harder metal like copper. Jacketed rounds are general purpose for unarmored and lightly armored targets, and a good choice if you’re
not too sure which you’re facing.

* Hollow point rounds, also called JHP, have an exposed lead tip with a hollow that allows the bullet to expand and fragment upon impact. This increases the damage done to unarmored targets at the cost of flattening uselessly on armor.

* Armor piercing, or AP rounds, have a hard core of steel to allow the bullet to penetrate armor. A gun with high velocity AP ammo will slice up Kevlar like butter, but the harder bullets retain their shape and pass through the meat without doing as much damage as
FMJ or hollow points.

* High velocity ammo has a light bullet and large powder charge to maximize the velocity of the bullet, which typically gives it less raw damage but greater range.

Shotguns have their own ammo types:

* Buckshot is a spray of round lead pellets. Each pellet only deals a little damage, but the combined force can put anyone in a world of hurt; the sheer momentum is enough to stun someone even if it doesn’t penetrate their armor. Buckshot is the most common shotgun ammo, and it has a very realistic spread of roughly 1 inch per yard.

* Flechettes fire tiny darts instead of pellets. Flechettes have higher muzzle velocity and penetration than buckshot, making them a good alternative at close and medium range (especially against body armor).

* Slugs are solid lead projectiles with a ton of kinetic force. It’s harder to hit the target than with shot or flechettes, but a shotgun loaded with slugs and given a red dot sight can achieve surprising accuracy. A slug load kicks like a mule, but it hits the enemy just the same.

* Sabots are dartlike slugs contained in a hard plastic sabot that falls away after exiting the barrel. They’re similar to slugs with a higher muzzle velocity and penetration.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

Hexenritter posted:

Silent Storm is another game in this genre I'd love a modern version of

:agreed:

I love Silent Storm - and especially Sentinels - despite their considerable rough edges. Hammer and Sickle can die in a fire though. Overall though the Silent Storm games have what I consider to be the best turn-based squad tactics implementation I've seen to date. (And Jagged Alliance BIA has the best real-time-with-pause implementation, in my opinion.)

JcDent posted:

Have in mind that all the nitty gritty inventory management ideas in this game come from Jagged Alliance 2. This includes the whole "loading up mags manually" thing, though JA2 didn't have magazines as separate physical things.

Yeah, 7.62 certainly wears its JA2 influences on its sleeve. I'm fine with that. Really, I want more games to copy JA2 - go for your life, game devs! Just do a good job, please.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Some info on weapons and ammo I missed:

It takes more than just cartridges to keep your gun fed, though. While revolvers and some rifles and shotguns are fed with loose rounds, most guns require magazines to function. For those who aren’t as familiar with firearms, the magazine is the actual spring-loaded mechanism that feeds ammo into the chamber. Most modern firearms except for these few types are fitted with detachable box magazines, allowing empty mags to be swapped for full ones.

Every gun has a specific type of magazine that it uses, and every gun is sold with a single empty magazine (and every looted gun has at least one magazine loaded into it already). Some
magazines are more common than others, and this can be a very important consideration for weapon choice: AKs and AR-15s are very popular assault rifles in part because their magazines are loving everywhere, and in the game you’ll have an easier time finding them than something for a SIG 552.

When viewing a magazine in the inventory, you can view exactly what ammo it’s loaded with. If you so desire you can load a magazine with any combination of rounds in whatever order you wish. I personally don’t find this feature very useful, but you might.

Certain magazines can be taped together if you have duct tape in your inventory. This allows you to quickly swap mags after depleting the first one and increase your available firepower.

Ammunition is typically purchased either in pre-loaded magazines (generally every magazine sold by merchants is already loaded when you buy it) or in containers of ammo, which range from cardboard boxes of 5 rounds to crates and cans holding several hundred. Magazines can be loaded directly from these containers, or you can remove the loose rounds; curiously, loose ammo takes up more space than the cardboard boxes they were contained in.

Ammo can also be stripped out of a magazine, allowing you to take compatible ammo out of incompatible magazines if you don’t want the gun and mags it came with, and loose ammo can be stored in empty or partially empty boxes and cans. If you’re using a gun that loads with loose rounds instead of swapping magazines, put the loose ammo in your pockets for a faster reload instead of boxes. As always, these actions are instantaneous outside of combat but take time while in combat.

Between fights, make sure your magazines are loaded and positioned properly in your load-bearing gear so you don’t have to stop fighting to refill them one round at a time from a box.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Are there tracer rounds in this game? Can you shoot someone in the face with one?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

One of the few "Hollywood" aspects of this game is that Every Bullet Is A Tracer (as in, they all leave visible streaks), so tracer rounds would have no use.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Gnoman posted:

One of the few "Hollywood" aspects of this game is that Every Bullet Is A Tracer (as in, they all leave visible streaks), so tracer rounds would have no use.

Hmm..

That is unfortunate.

What about WP or Incendiary?

Can you shoot someone in the face with fire?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Saint Celestine posted:

Hmm..

That is unfortunate.

What about WP or Incendiary?

Can you shoot someone in the face with fire?

I don’t believe so.

Also, bullets do have ricochet. Keep this in mind when shooting prone enemies in the street...

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

chitoryu12 posted:

Every gun has a specific type of magazine that it uses, and every gun is sold with a single empty magazine (and every looted gun has at least one magazine loaded into it already). Some
magazines are more common than others, and this can be a very important consideration for weapon choice: AKs and AR-15s are very popular assault rifles in part because their magazines are loving everywhere, and in the game you’ll have an easier time finding them than something for a SIG 552.

So does this mean STANAG does not exist in this game?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aces High posted:

So does this mean STANAG does not exist in this game?

It does. Almost every gun uses the same magazines it does in real life (a few either have unique magazines when they use existing ones or they use another gun’s magazines when they shouldn’t), so the rifles that use STANAG or standard AK magazines use them.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, now that ducktaped AK mags are in play, I'm sad that I don't have the forum discipline to play this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Explosives

The most fun part of this game is probably the reaction you get when you throw a grenade through a window.

Explosives have their own set of stats:

* Fragments is the number of fragments the explosive generates. Fragments are individually modeled like bullets or shotgun pellets, and they care not for what they hit. Just like in real life, a lucky person can go prone in the corner and avoid taking a single point of damage….and an unlucky person can get smacked in the forehead by a shard of metal from across the hall.

* Fragmentation radius is how far the fragments actually go. Whereas real grenades have been known to throw shrapnel up to 100 yards, fragments are automatically deleted and deal no damage at this radius.

* Blast radius is how far the actual explosion will do damage. Fragmentation grenades deal very little of their damage through blast, so this only matters for frags if you’re practically on top of them.

* Fuse arm is how many seconds it takes for a time fuse to detonate; it takes about 1 second to throw a grenade, so you have this much time minus one second to get rid of the grenade once you arm it. For contact-detonating explosives, this is how long the grenade needs to be armed to detonate on impact.

* Self-destruct delay is only for impact explosives. If the grenade fails to detonate on impact, this is how long it takes before exploding on its own.

When you throw a grenade or fire a grenade launcher, you can set the arc. A shallow arc will let you pitch the grenade like a baseball or fire a launcher directly at a target, while a high arc will let you get over cover or onto a balcony. The Throwing skill determines how much deviation your merc has from the intended path; a merc with a lovely throwing skill may try to throw a grenade through a window, only to watch it bounce right back toward his face.

With grenades or TNT, you can choose to arm them while they’re still in your pocket before deciding to throw them. Grenades can be armed and thrown directly from a pocket, so you may want to keep one or two in your pockets to whip out in an emergency. You can likewise arm them in your hand before you throw them, letting you cook them in case you want to give the enemy less time to run away before the timer runs down. Be careful doing this, as the fuse may not be as exact as you expect and you could end up turning yourself into chunky salsa.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also, I plan on beginning the game Saturday, October 28th. I have a post all ready to go, establishing our presence in Algeira.

I’ll wrap up the prep time with a guide to the country we’re about to turn upside-down.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Explosives that are modeled "accurately" always lead to fun times if you aren't taking your game too seriously.

I await the first of us players to gently caress up and end up killing ourselves because we forgot what kind of grenade we were throwing :downsgun:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Aces High posted:

Explosives that are modeled "accurately" always lead to fun times if you aren't taking your game too seriously.

I await the first of us players to gently caress up and end up killing ourselves because we forgot what kind of grenade we were throwing :downsgun:

Luckily, lethal grenades only come in two flavors: frag and concussion. Concussion grenades just generate a massive explosion that I think can even injure through walls.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

The difference between timed and impact can be a bit of a trap as well.

At least for other people. I've certainly never killed half my squad because I forgot my grenade was impact fused and tried to bounce it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Mercenary's Guide to Algeira

The modern nation of Algeira is a pretty recent one. Palinero and Algeira used to be a single nation, but a few decades ago Palinero declared independence. The newly independent Kingdom of Palinero has maintained a shaky relationship with the Republic of Algeira ever since, wracked by insurgencies, coups, border skirmishes, and the international drug trade. NATO and the Soviet Union both took advantage of the states (NATO for Algeira and the USSR for Palinero) and their natural resources. The country’s economy is mainly reliant on tourism, gold mining, and the drug trade.

Both countries have had rather similar recent histories: Fernando Tormens took control of Palinero while General Alvaro Sosa took control of Algeira, both in the most recent military coup for each state. Opposition to Sosa’s reign is scattered around the jungles, left to engage in hit-and-run tactics. Ironically, the biggest rebel leader is Fernando Tormens’ daughter Tanya. The countryside continues to be incredibly dangerous, with bandits regularly ambushing travelers along the roads.

The currency of Algeira is the eldo, which is pegged to the US dollar.

Some information on the major cities of Algeira:

• Artrigo is the seat of government, but curiously not the capital of Algeira. General Sosa was born in Artrigo and the city was an early supporter of his coup, and upon taking power he had the government moved from Sagrada to his hometown. The best hospital in the country is located here for all the wealthy politicians.

• Sagrada is the capital of Algeira, and remains an important city even with the bureaucracy moved out. It’s still home to Algeira’s main publishing house, the archdiocese, the central bank, and a broadcasting station.

• Puerto Viejo is a picturesque beach resort town and the main tourist attraction of Algeira. It’s got all the bars, restaurants, and shopping you could ever desire…if you have the money for it.

• Campecino is a "Potemkin Village" kept nice and pretty for the tourists and stocked with the general’s most loyal supporters. The undesirables were forcibly relocated.

• Santa Maria is a coastal town that was recently hit by a highly destructive hurricane, followed by great civil unrest. The city now lies in ruins after most of the authorities fled, creating an anarchist’s dream and putting gangs and cults in charge.

• Ciudad-de-Oro is a southern gold mining town and the backbone of the country’s economy. The city housed an indigenous guerrilla unit during the coup and was shelled with artillery by Colonel Juan Rebenga. The current city is what’s left after the rebuild.

• Olvega is a mountain town far to the north, the last place resisting General Sosa’s rule. The treacherous terrain makes conquering it difficult, so Sosa has simply blockaded the roads in and out to try and starve out the occupants.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I told the travel agent I wanted to go to Algeria. God drat, is my accent that thick?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

xthetenth posted:

I told the travel agent I wanted to go to Algeria. God drat, is my accent that thick?

Holy poo poo, it took me this long to realize this.

I thought it was in extremely bad taste, and that the history was really wrong.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I don't get it :(

Other than it clearly not being real world Algeria, anyway.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh my god I thought the setting was supposed to be real life Algeria the entire time and was extremely confused for a couple paragraphs at the start there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Grizzwold posted:

I don't get it :(

Other than it clearly not being real world Algeria, anyway.

Look real closely at the spelling.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Real world: Algeria

This game: Algeira

Basically the I jumps to the other side of the R

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also Algeira is a South American country, while Algeria is African.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I'm sure some enterprising Russian is going to make a merc game set in Fake Middle East some time soon.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

JcDent posted:

I'm sure some enterprising Russian is going to make a merc game set in Fake Middle East some time soon.

You mean mddile east?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Naw man, go with the established patern!
Braizl, Caliphate of
Agrentina, Islamic People's Republic Of
Cuiba

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

bunnyofdoom posted:

Real world: Algeria

This game: Algeira

Basically the I jumps to the other side of the R

I never noticed that, and just assumed the dev team didn't own a map.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The only wisdom I can impart, having never played the game mind you, is never stand straight up in the open during a firefight unless you absolutely have to. If bullets start flying and you find yourself in an open field, drop to your belly and then assess your options.

• Locked thread