Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

reading his tweets he 100% hates jews and I can guarantee he has made these tweets in english for the express purpose of making people angry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I guess tweeting about his hate for jews and how they made up the holocaust in japanese didn't get him enough reactions

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
the most telling part to me is "the jews convinced everyone that white people are bad"

suddenly I know exactly where this is coming from

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Symbolic Butt posted:

the most telling part to me is "the jews convinced everyone that white people are bad"

suddenly I know exactly where this is coming from

I mean, it’s slightly different when you’re Japanese. Not better, but not so obviously tied into your own crippling sense of inadequacy.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Thank god its not the author.

However jesus loving christ the anime director is an ultra far right dick. I don't even need to ask what he thinks about Imperial Japan do I

edit

OH GO gently caress YOURSELF

https://twitter.com/yaginuma_san/status/960604700369301504

boredsatellite fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Feb 6, 2018

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

holy poo poo

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

he's a loving stereotypical 2channer goddamn

complaining about jews, koreans and how the west is imposing their values on them

loving piece of garbage goddamn

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Cultural exchange is funny like that.

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Hopefully this kinda blows up big in the West and in Korea.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

I hope he gets kicked from his guild

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Wonder why there’s so many new posts in the threa

:stare:

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

boredsatellite posted:

I hope nothing blows up anywhere :stare:

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007
So what sort of repercussions does outing yourself as a holocaust denier on social media usually entail in the east? Like, if someone in the west did that and wasn't working in the White House or for Breitbart they'd lose their jobs.

Also, gently caress.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Ignoring the twitter stuff because that's just :yikes: in general

I did enjoy the show, both for its drat accurate depiction of MMOs and their communities, and the fact that it was a romance show that actually got somewhere with its romance. The fact that that spawned literally from author hiatus and the anime producers putting something together to ensure the anime had a wind up point does make me despair a little at manga authors, but I'll take my wins where I can get them.

Also I've never felt more attacked then I did when Morimori was AFK during a raid and got called out by her guildmates for wiping the party.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

boredsatellite posted:

It won't. Google "Chiune Sugihara" and you'll have a quick understanding of how Japan feels about Jews and the Holocaust.

Japanese history textbooks still aren't required to discuss the Rape of Nanking, the Bataan Death March, Unit 731, and plenty of wartime atrocities. At least American history textbooks have started to make mention of Japanese internment and we're having greater discussions on how black veterans were treated before and during the Civil Rights era. Japan simply doesn't see itself as having done explicit wrongdoing against humanity and the Jewish population in Japan has never really been more than 1,000 or so people in the country on annual average.

This guy's an anti-semitic crackpot. Being raised Jewish, it doesn't surprise me at all that someone in a culture where Judaism was never really present - either as a tolerated class at best (e.g. pre-partition Poland) or as a subhuman pox at worst - has no real kickback on things like this. It's the idea of "maybe this is an alternative viewpoint worth considering" is false equivalency to us but it has no basis on human horror to them, so it stands as an idea.

I can't speak to the experience of Koreans in Japan with the same background knowledge but the modern era has seen a resurgence of anti-semitism. Even if you discard the "criticizing Israel for any reason = anti-semitism" viewpoint, look at that law Poland just passed and signed into law. It's now illegal to allege that Polish citizens assisted in the Holocaust. Look at the US today.

That's the dark side of cultural exchange - we are simply dealing with a culture that has no concept of the Holocaust. How many Ainu and burakumin are represented in Japanese popular culture?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

MJP posted:

burakumin
Wow, there's a word I haven't heard in a while. I've seen Ainu pop up in a few different comics though.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Feb 6, 2018

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The most acclaimed seinen running currently is mostly about Ainu history and culture.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Id read a historical series about the small jewish population of japan...

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Sharkopath posted:

Id read a historical series about the small jewish population of japan...

Post-WWII it's basically Western business people once Tokyo started becoming a place to do business in the late 50s/early 60s. The Wikipedia entry has a nice thumbnail of the history of Jews in Japan: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Jews_in_Japan The history of Jews in the eyes of the Japanese government was historically neutral, with some noteworthy resistance to Nazi demands, but the cultural and social/societal views range from "well, they can do whatever they want but maybe they can connect us to the worldwide Jewish financial conspiracy" to "man, Netoju no Susume did great, what a good project that was to run. I should note that between my tweets that'd be at home with the John Birch Society"

I'm going to leave this here and hopefully not turn this thread into Schindler's List, but Chiune Sugihara is probably the one most noteworthy exception to Japanese views on the Jewish people in the modern era: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara

Sharkopath posted:

The most acclaimed seinen running currently is mostly about Ainu history and culture.

I am very happy to be proven wrong about my previous statement, and I hope it does well enough to spur discussion and right some real historical wrongs.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Wasn't the plot to Gasaraki "It was all a Jewish conspiracy"? I remember reading something about that a decade or so ago, but Gasaraki is old enough that I saw promos for it on ADV VHS tapes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Paracelsus posted:

Wasn't the plot to Gasaraki "It was all a Jewish conspiracy"? I remember reading something about that a decade or so ago, but Gasaraki is old enough that I saw promos for it on ADV VHS tapes.

You may be thinking of Angel Cop. Written by Sho Aikawa, no less.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006

hahaha why the gently caress

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
you know thinking that you can exploit a group of people's ability to control the global economy is only a step removed from thinking it is reasonable to purge that group of people from the body politic

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
haaaang on a second i thought the jews were the ones who have tricked the white race to only get horny for anime and therefore stop breeding

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Turns out lots of Japanese internet and anime people are right wing douchebags, who knew?

Japan has a bit of a problem with that kinda poo poo, really.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Every country has a problem with that really. Norway had Breivik and America had all those Nazi marches.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Isekai was a mistake

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fangz posted:

Isekai was a mistake
:getout:

One’s a genre of fiction that’s overrated and the other is a fuckwit spouting hateful nonsense.

Also, nether have anything to do with each other.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
isekai causes nazism

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I mean, there is at least one isekai series about becoming a Nazi basically, right?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Roland Jones posted:

I mean, there is at least one isekai series about becoming a Nazi basically, right?

Depends, does Youjo Senki count? A key plot point is the main character submitting an essay regarding a legal loophole characterising civilians in a combat area after receiving prior notice to evacuate as enemy combatants, allowing them to be attacked without consequence.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Depends, does Youjo Senki count? A key plot point is the main character submitting an essay regarding a legal loophole characterising civilians in a combat area after receiving prior notice to evacuate as enemy combatants, allowing them to be attacked without consequence.

That's the one about the main character reincarnating as anime girl Hitler, right?

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

It's anime World War 1, so less anime Hitler, more anime Wilhelm II.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the author of it is an avowed communist so almost literally the opposite of the mmo junkie director

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Pretty sure a goon did this

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

AnoHito posted:

It's anime World War 1, so less anime Hitler, more anime Wilhelm II.

Well it's anime both. Actually really entertaining and well put together.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
dunno about that youjo senki spent most of its runtime lionizing a sociopath, does it ever go beyond that

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

dunno about that youjo senki spent most of its runtime lionizing a sociopath, does it ever go beyond that

It doesn’t quite lionize her (/him) but from what I’ve read of the manga it’s more clear there that Tanya is a dirtbag.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Endorph posted:

also the author of it is an avowed communist so almost literally the opposite of the mmo junkie director

Yeah lol his novel before Tanya was pretty much a lionization of Titoism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I love Tito when are they making the Tito anime

• Locked thread