Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The matchmaker theory doesn't make much sense to me, I think Koiwai is just a piece of poo poo. Who probably doesn't even play MMOs. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.

Paracelsus posted:

People of all nations live in fear of the Desire Sensor.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Fangz posted:

The matchmaker theory doesn't make much sense to me, I think Koiwai is just a piece of poo poo. Who probably doesn't even play MMOs. :argh:

It makes sense if he intends to bring Sakurai along when they head out drinking (as the PV seems to indicate). I mean, yeah, he called it a date between him and Moriko, but dude’s a prankster. He loves winding people up.

Kylra
Dec 1, 2006

Not a cute boy, just a boring girl.
The happening begins, next episode. Glad we're not just being strung along until the last episode or two.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It makes sense for it to happen by the halfway point. It's been about Moriko sinking into the depths so far. There has to be the "recovery" phase.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Fangz posted:

When I was first trying to describe Koiwai's character I didn't like using the term matchmaker. He's the dudebro friend that can clearly see what's happening relationship-wise and wants to help in his own way (while also having his cake too via teasing Sakurai).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I actually feel invested in what's going to happen to Moriko. :ohdear:

I read somewhere that the manga never finished and the author is half dead? I hope the anime manages a good ending.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

gmq posted:

I actually feel invested in what's going to happen to Moriko. :ohdear:

I read somewhere that the manga never finished and the author is half dead? I hope the anime manages a good ending.

The author stopped releasing new chapters in 2015 for health reasons, and there have been no news since then. Even after the anime announcement, there only was a message by the site staff (and not herself) saying that she still hasn't recovered to the point where she can continue working.

The anime does go at a crazy speed: There are currently 87 chapters, the next episode has the same title as chapter 37, so we're almost halfway though the source material. They're going too fast to end it at the one good stopping point I could think of, so they're probably going for an anime-original ending.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

I guess I don't really see Koiwai, from what we've seen, as in any way sensitive, or really giving enough of a drat about anyone other than himself. I think people overestimate the degree to which he and Sakurai are friends. He and Sakurai have certainly known each other for less than the time Moriko has been a NEET, and outside of work probably haven't spent nearly as much time together given how Sakurai plays MMOs.

It is probably too dark for this show but it might be an interesting angle to take that IRL, as an adult, you don't always get to pick who your friends are. You have to try and get along with your work colleague, even if he's a jerk, and it's up to you to figure out what you can endure.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 28, 2017

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I hope koiwai ends up with Moriko.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Koiwai is pretty obviously the campy elf, so he’s known to get a vicarious thrill out of other people’s romances. About the worst we can likely expect from him is being a bit insensitive while he’s manically shoving Sakurai and Moriko together.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Looks like only 5-6 chapters of this were translated. sad.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Koiwai is pretty obviously the campy elf, so he’s known to get a vicarious thrill out of other people’s romances.

Himeralda is Pokotarou's wife.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Paracelsus posted:

The wrath of RNGesus is mighty indeed

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Paracelsus posted:

Me seeing that: :negative:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

When I was first trying to describe Koiwai's character I didn't like using the term matchmaker. He's the dudebro friend that can clearly see what's happening relationship-wise and wants to help in his own way (while also having his cake too via teasing Sakurai).

Having his cake in teasing Sakurai by also teasing the cake called Moriko.
This series is all about cakes. :discourse:

Now I want to play some pc mmo again even though I know I don't have time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Tamba posted:

Himeralda is Pokotarou's wife.

Yeah, I think Kowai might be the only standout character we've met who doesn't have an MMO character.

I mean convenience store clerk is obviously the guild leader.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah, I think Kowai might be the only standout character we've met who doesn't have an MMO character.

I mean convenience store clerk is obviously the guild leader.

I figured convenience store guy was the cat girl, but I haven't watched the new episode yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Having his cake in teasing Sakurai by also teasing the cake called Moriko.
This series is all about cakes. :discourse:
I see the Hate-Senpai's disease has spread. :mad:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

chumbler posted:

I figured convenience store guy was the cat girl, but I haven't watched the new episode yet.

We find out who that character is in the new episode, yeah.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Onean posted:

We find out who that character is in the new episode, yeah.

Which I find odd, unless they are going to interact with the cast outside of the game later. We don't need to know the real world person behind every character for this premise to work.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Which I find odd, unless they are going to interact with the cast outside of the game later. We don't need to know the real world person behind every character for this premise to work.

They’re extremely likely to end up as part of the secondary romance.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I think she's in the same area and gets to know Moriko outside of the game as well. Finding not just a romantic relationship but a close friendship feels like something that would fit in this story.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

They’re extremely likely to end up as part of the secondary romance.

That actually makes a lot of sense if my hunch about the guild leader's identity is right.

(It's a pretty amusing coincidence these people all live so close to eachother.)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

Mokinokaro posted:

That actually makes a lot of sense if my hunch about the guild leader's identity is right.

(It's a pretty amusing coincidence these people all live so close to eachother.)

they all live in Tokyo, like half of Japan

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Well, yeah. Remember how he said the first-place gacha reward was a bit cutesy for his tastes?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

they all live in Tokyo, like half of Japan

Of course. And the game's probably Japan only so it's really not that coincidental.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

And all of Tokyo uses that convenience store..............

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Fangz posted:

And all of Tokyo uses that convenience store..............

It's a very convenient store.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Cowson is a good store that also has beer, christmas chicken and e-money. What more does one need?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

As someone who has sunk thousands into the devil that is gachapon I feel personally attacked by this relatable content

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It's me, the converse proof that the Desire Sensor exists.

I don't care about my character's looks, but get all the lucky expensive cosmetic drops anyways.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I'm afraid the converse isn't a proof. It could just be that there's a Nirvana Sensor that detects when players have rid themselves of all lootboxly desires.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Now I want to play some pc mmo again even though I know I don't have time.

:same: :negative:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This show has significantly accelerated my return to FFXIV. Smacking fools with adorable, tiny fragments of hideous murder-gods all day, every day.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yes this show isn't healthy, it prompted me to spend more on crate keys in TF2 than ever before.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

nielsm posted:

Yes this show isn't healthy, it prompted me to spend more on crate keys in TF2 than ever before.

This show is specifically about being unhealthy.

Also, don't play games with loot boxes that you can pay for. It's a terrible mechanic.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

I remember a game I played where one of the first things that happened was finding a trove of almost a thousand loot boxes. Everyone was ignoring it and the game had cross-account item swapping capabilities so it was obviously just dumped. Ended up with a ton of healing items, boosts and some fashion skins. Very nice for a starting account.

Wark Say posted:

I see the Hate-Senpai's disease has spread. :mad:

Wow, rude! I didn't say anything about how something about the Koiwai and Moriko situation is Not That Right. <:mad:> So there!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I remember a game I played where one of the first things that happened was finding a trove of almost a thousand loot boxes. Everyone was ignoring it and the game had cross-account item swapping capabilities so it was obviously just dumped. Ended up with a ton of healing items, boosts and some fashion skins. Very nice for a starting account.

Wow, rude! I didn't say anything about how something about the Koiwai and Moriko situation is Not That Right. <:mad:> So there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZSD5nT6Ao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Fun show! I haven't played an MMO in 14 years, so some of it is lost on me (are there really so many micro transactions?) but I like the characters and aspire to be an elite NEET myself someday

• Locked thread