Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Stokes posted:

Right click.

Huh. I swear I tried that, but guess not.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I restarted to get the "increased xp on quest completion and kills" and those are NOT worth it. It's a 5% increase which is less than beginner monsters so I went back to my first Jax.

The legendary weapons kinda suck compared to the upgradeable weapons because they have an absurd stat investment requirement and they don't do any more damage. Seems like the best finds are upgradeable weapons with an element attached (the energy sword at the bottom of mausoleum right at the start of the poison is the only one I've found). I also can't imagine using level 3 weapons because those have stat requirements in the 70s and it starts costing 5 points to increase an attribute by 1 after attribute level 60.

Here's an infinite money exploit if you're a cleric: Make a bunch of small mental reserves and upgrade them up to powerful because they're bugged to be a 1:1 cost to upgrade. Once you unlock Origin and its trader he sells 30 each of the components and his stock restocks instantly after you leave the menu. They sell for 50 elexit each and you can make huge amounts of them for small cost.

I had to do that trick to make a bunch of elex drinks so I could learn suggestion to reach Legate in the Clerics.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Still looking for Four Houses number 5 and 6. It is getting really annoying not being able to find those.

Edit: vvv I tried that, but either I missed a step or it is gated behind joining a faction by necessity. Which is too bad, since I had fairly good armor and weaponry already.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Oct 22, 2017

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I wonder if there is a way to beat the game with no faction/maybe joining the Separatists.

I don't really like any of the factions right now. Maybe the Beserkers, but I prefer kinetic guns.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
i got the achievement for playing eighty hours before the opening cutscene ended.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Agnostalgia posted:

i got the achievement for playing eighty hours before the opening cutscene ended.

Haha yeah I got mine after like, 10-15 hours tops.

Also, found the 6th part of the Four Houses quest, only 5th left now, no idea where to go for that.

Bonby
Jan 13, 2008

Annoying Dog
How's the game so far. I never really enjoyed gothic combat but enjoyed the faction and how the game tackled its story. Feels like the combat is better handled in this one (tho i don't expect anything amazing either)

Steam has mostly positive reviews but GoodOldGames folks seem to be loving it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Right, got all the "houses" notes done. Now to figure out what the heck code I'm trying to figure out here.

Edit: Well, that's about what I expected. Too bad you didn't get to meet any kind of AI or something, as I figured that was what Calaan was. . Also so far I haven't been able to tell anyone about it yet. I sure hope I can in some way!

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 22, 2017

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
You must be really good at exploring or I'm really bad because I've only found one of the Four House stuff. I have found like 5 old world photographs which are just pictures the devs took of themselves which is kinda funny

Also I just found a legendary sword that has a 74 dex requirement but only does 3 more damage and has a socket over the energy sword found in the mausoleum. I don't know if legendary weapons sucking for their investment is some in joke or they just didn't balance it properly

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I told Ray to go to the camp before I discovered the camp myself (because I skipped it during the quasi-tutorial). :ohdear:

Now he's nowhere to be seen at the camp or on my map. :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:

I'm worried I banished him to the netherworld. Guess we'll see after Duras and I finish one of his quests!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BobbyBaudoin posted:

How's the game so far. I never really enjoyed gothic combat but enjoyed the faction and how the game tackled its story. Feels like the combat is better handled in this one (tho i don't expect anything amazing either)

Steam has mostly positive reviews but GoodOldGames folks seem to be loving it.

It has a surprising lot of quests and character interactions for a Piranha Bytes game. That is not to say their previous games were devoid of that sort of stuff, but they were certainly more shallow and linear.

The combat is quite good, it is simultaneously more forgiving than Gothic (you don't need to nail the timing to get combos), and more demanding (you can't kill poo poo without combos, which wasn't the case in Gothic). You also get permanent companions who aren't very good at dealing damage, but they are able to kite enemies while you hack at them, which makes combat less frustrating.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Lakbay posted:

Also I just found a legendary sword that has a 74 dex requirement but only does 3 more damage and has a socket over the energy sword found in the mausoleum. I don't know if legendary weapons sucking for their investment is some in joke or they just didn't balance it properly
If I know Pihrahna Byte right they probably set the stats for the legendaries first and then forgot to rebalance them when the rest of the weaponlist got implemented later on.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Okay so If I am reading my skills correctly, I need 40 Int 40 Cunning to get the Charisma skill, right?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
You get points of charisma for every skill point in the personality tree, the skill that says it gives you charisma gives you extra afaik, but it's not the only way to get your score up.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, just beat the game. I didn't realize the loading screens were actually a preview of the ending scenes once you do all the epilogue stuff . Also a bit sad the only person I seem to be able to tell about the secret of Calaan is the top Cleric, who just says "Yeah of course he's fake, I figured that out too. But people need to believe the lie dude or they might become, uuuh, Berserkers? Or Albs? Except poo poo, the Albs are Clerics who figured out we were full of poo poo and we exiled them. My bad!" (I added everything after the first sentence here).

End boss was a bit meh, but I'm still a bit uncertain as to how Wardek managed to set us up to die. How did he break the control of the Hybrid to do that? Or wasn't it control and more like, very rigid orders? .

Overall I liked the game a lot, which has been a thing I've missed in PB games for like, 3-4 titles. As mentioned it is janky as all hell at times and could probably stand a lot of re-tuning in some areas but I enjoyed it a bundle. Especially the bits where you can break the game in so many lovely ways, including figuring out that putting on sunglasses removes the need for two spells/items entirely, pulling monsters into encounters with camps means you don't have to worry about consequences for murdering the campers but can still complete the quests to murder them, etc.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

I managed to break the main quest by running into a story NPC earlier than I was supposed to and now he just stands there with an Offended tag under his name. Truly a PB joint.

edit: are there oblivion/amnesia spells like in Gothic? I haven't seen any but who knows.

Phoix fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 23, 2017

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So, uh, I think I messed up Dome City as a whole. I guess I was supposed to heavily favor one side or another? Because I got a pretty... Suboptimal resolution to the area, to say the least.

By the way, do Outlaws get anything equivalent to the spells the other two factions get? I went Berserkers and got to choose between 3 varieties of rad skull magic fists, and I know Clerics get some ridiculous poo poo like that black hole spell, but I don't know what, if anything, Outlaws get in exchange.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Oct 23, 2017

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, uh, I think I messed up Dome City as a whole. I guess I was supposed to heavily favor one side or another? Because I got a pretty... Suboptimal resolution to the area, to say the least.

By the way, do Outlaws get anything equivalent to the spells the other two factions get? I went Berserkers and got to choose between 3 varieties of rad skull magic fists, and I know Clerics get some ridiculous poo poo like that black hole spell, but I don't know what, if anything, Outlaws get in exchange.

You can check out their tree!

They get drugs. :geno: The best one looks to be "deal double goddamn damage for a while", so, you know, pretty good. Not interesting, but good.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GreyjoyBastard posted:

You can check out their tree!

They get drugs. :geno: The best one looks to be "deal double goddamn damage for a while", so, you know, pretty good. Not interesting, but good.

No, I mean, the spells that you get as Berserker/Cleric aren't on the tree itself, which is why I'm asking if Outlaws get something equivalent. Like there isn't a 'Sick-rear end fire skull magic' on the berserker skill tree, it's just something you get once you join their faction and learn magic. The spells on the tree itself are mostly buffs and the like.

Edit: I looked it up, and the answer is they get absolutely nothing comparable. Man, the Outlaws really kinda suck as a faction.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Oct 23, 2017

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Sylphosaurus posted:

If I know Pihrahna Byte right they probably set the stats for the legendaries first and then forgot to rebalance them when the rest of the weaponlist got implemented later on.

They vary, the unique plasma rifle I have still the most damaging weapon I've seen while the laser rifle I found just lying around in a friendly area was outclassed immediately.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Mehrunes posted:

You get 2000xp from a faction’s leader if they officially invite you to join them, as far as I can tell that’s the only thing you lose out on.

If i join the beeserkers now can i still join the laser-priests later?

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
A reddit poster has compiled some information about skills and what they actually do in terms of numbers, like hp or stamina, which the game outright refuses to tell you for inexplicable reasons. Don't know how accurate it is but it indicates which skills are worse than they sound (extra hp) or are bugged (haggler).
He also says that sunglasses, despite showing 0 armor in the game, actually give you 10 armor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comments/782zto/some_concrete_info_on_skills_and_other_things/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm incredulous about attributes not increasing stats on their own.

I'm still running around with a stupid little hatchet, and I find the enemies have been getting easier despite the only combat related change to the PC being my attribute numbers.

PepsimanVsJoe
Nov 16, 2007
As far as I can tell, the "bleeding" effect some weapons can have is really dang useful. Bleed damage applies to most anything*. Even if you're hitting a mountain troll and doing practically zero damage per hit, it can still bleed to death fairly quickly.

One weapon that can cause bleeding is the Gore Reaperblade.

It can be found here - http://game-maps.com/ELEX/Elex-Edan-South-Map.asp #20
Fair warning though, if you upgrade that weapon, it will lose its bleed effect.

Oh and another thing, the 4th attack in the Reaperblade's combo is bugged. It will always miss, no matter what.

*I want to say that bleeding even works on robots, but I'm not quite sure.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Mehrunes posted:

They vary, the unique plasma rifle I have still the most damaging weapon I've seen while the laser rifle I found just lying around in a friendly area was outclassed immediately.

It seems like they balanced the legendary guns/bows correctly but the legendary melee weapons are still garbage for their stat investment.

I found out upgrading an enchanted weapon removes the enchantment so you have to re-enchant it. The cleric weapons get psi and stasis enchantments but I've never seen those actually do anything to enemies. I think energy is a damage over time

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Oct 23, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is there any more to combat than "it's a bad idea, don't do it." ?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Lone Badger posted:

Is there any more to combat than "it's a bad idea, don't do it." ?

Don't try to attack things as soon as you have enough stamina for a single attack. Let your stamina fully replenish, and attack from a position where you can land as many hits in a combo as your stamina allows. Then use the last bit of stamina to land a Q special attack. The special attack does exponentially more damage based on the number of chained regular attacks - sometimes enough that an enemy who took no perceptible damage at all from single attacks loses 1/3 of HP in a single Q attack.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I would say not to use your last bit of stamina to use a Q attack because that will leave you wide open (it's happened to me plenty of times where I died after doing it). Use your Q attack once you have a full special bar and you have at least half your stamina back. The stamina meter should fill up before the special meter drains completely.

Of course I'm at the point where I can handle 2 skull level enemies with just dodging and light attack combos so I might have forgotten the intended way to fight

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, you can avoid using stamina on dodging, you can walk out of the path of some enemies' attacks, with others you can jetpack over them until you get some stamina back. Also yeah, heavy attacks seem pointless.

madfury
Dec 21, 2005
rõve loom
This game is broken on so many levels. Difficulty curve, no information how melee combat works (rhythm based), no numerical values and so forth. But god does it have character and good world and quest design. I just hope they patch the glitches (infinite money is hard to resist) and get on with the expansion. Elex 2 might be more of the same which is just fine with me.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I kinda regret going Cleric now because the Outlaws have way cooler melee weapons and I haven't even touched psy abilities because I've ignored intelligence/cunning to meet the absurd stat requirements for mid/endgame gear. At the same time the cleric faction armor looks rad as hell and mowing down peasants and fantasy monsters in my space marine armor is hilarious.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

sicDaniel posted:

A reddit poster has compiled some information about skills and what they actually do in terms of numbers, like hp or stamina, which the game outright refuses to tell you for inexplicable reasons. Don't know how accurate it is but it indicates which skills are worse than they sound (extra hp) or are bugged (haggler).
He also says that sunglasses, despite showing 0 armor in the game, actually give you 10 armor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comments/782zto/some_concrete_info_on_skills_and_other_things/

Sunglasses are the best item in class and this cements it. :colbert: I have all four sunglasses and switch between three of them on a regular basis.

This is classic PB but they deserve any flak they get if they don't fix it quickly, relying on community patches (just like skyrim) is unacceptable. For example I expected practitioner to be questionable as the stat requirement was far too high to be acquired early on. When I grabbed the amulet with the buff it turned out to be a 5% exp boost :gene: was my surprised face. The scientist amulet has the bookworm buff and it's non-functional.

steinrokkan posted:

I'm incredulous about attributes not increasing stats on their own.

I'm still running around with a stupid little hatchet, and I find the enemies have been getting easier despite the only combat related change to the PC being my attribute numbers.

I could feel that you received more health with each levelup, just by the varying levels of remaining health I was left with taking hits while jetpacking around monsters. I can't say the same about stamina or psi/mana but I took the extra stamina perk anyway when I finally began fighting enemies.

Weapons and gear are always important, it was always about building up stats to equip a weapon or unlock a specific spell in older games. On that note, attribute boosts from gear won't make you eligible for learning skills, they can only help you hit equip prerequisites.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm probably going to side with the Clerics. The Outlaws are Libertarians and the Berserkers don't believe in indoor plumbing.

Noirex
May 30, 2006

This game is amazing in the best way. I just killed a Cyclops with a flamethrower in an abandoned Fallout like factory with my Skyrim Berserker companion shooting arrows at it and we just ran past a car park full of ruined SUVs and STALKER-ish mutants.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Mycroft Holmes posted:

I'm probably going to side with the Clerics. The Outlaws are Libertarians and the Berserkers don't believe in indoor plumbing.
From what I can gather from the Clerics trailer they pretty much go for an Imperium of Man approach to anyone not belonging to their faction.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Sylphosaurus posted:

From what I can gather from the Clerics trailer they pretty much go for an Imperium of Man approach to anyone not belonging to their faction.

so everyone is a douche and there are no good options? Great.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Clerics run the refugee camp for the outcasts and outlaws of all the other factions, but there may be Sinister MotivesTM behind their charity (I'm not far enough to know what comes out of it)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
The clerics get jedi mind trick (it's Suggestion in dialog choices) and yes they get sinister once you start doing their faction specific quests and getting to know them

I kinda like that they made the 3 factions unlikeable in their own way. Better than the "do you want to go melee, ranged, or magic" factions in Risen 1 and 2 (haven't played the gothics far enough to know what their factions were like)

Lakbay fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 23, 2017

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments

Lakbay posted:

I kinda like that they made the 3 factions unlikeable in their own way. Better than the "do you want to go melee, ranged, or magic" factions in Risen 1 and 2 (haven't played the gothics far enough to know what their factions were like)

Gothic 1 was "Do you want to use magic, weapons, or smoke WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

steinrokkan posted:

The Clerics run the refugee camp for the outcasts and outlaws of all the other factions, but there may be Sinister MotivesTM behind their charity (I'm not far enough to know what comes out of it)

The architect behind the domed city shield seems to think that the clerics should be sheltering all factions including separatist albs and his support staff are too busy working around the clock to consider politics but they're an anomaly. They might be doing the Imperium of Mankind routine except they're too weak to stand up to the actual space marines of the setting. They have more in common with a depleted cadre of Brotherhood of Steel traditionalists in that they deserve to dwindle down to nothing.

Lakbay posted:

The clerics get jedi mind trick (it's Suggestion in dialog choices) and yes they get sinister once you start doing their faction specific quests and getting to know them

It may not be the finest example of writing but Origin works as an equivalent of an independent New Vegas. PB could have definitely played it up more in the story and have an much better result than the scheisse FO4 came up with. Bethesda has broken scarcely heard of barriers in written mediocrity.

Minor spoilers The dome clerics supposedly responsible for enforcing neutrality are throwing people out instead of resolving and meditating inter-factional conflict and the council of Magalan isn't sending them assistance, the berserkers are settlers that would be exiled or killed if they step foot in Goliet due to circumstances out of their control but they continue to be pissy even though they're hiding beneath a piece of technology. The outlaws in the city are willing to ruin the entire thing for everyone because of their treatment despite ostensibly having lived under Bloody Baxter who was far worse than the Duke. They tolerate being treated as second class citizens if it's done by another FYGM jerkwad but some schnook from another faction is crossing the line.

• Locked thread