Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Does he...? I could swear he didn't but I guess I'm going to have to double-check. I've been avoiding combat for the most part (since you get like no experience anyway) but having a weapon still feels nice even if it might be more cosmetic than anything. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So if I'm not really liking the whole combo system thing, can i just go straight ranged and still be okay?

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So if I'm not really liking the whole combo system thing, can i just go straight ranged and still be okay?

I don't know what the power curve is like with ranged vs. melee since I went straight ranged, but once I got some levels and better bows / gunz ranged started being just fine for me. Some of the guns have alt-mode shots that do crowd control stuff, and you want to get good at dodging while aiming for things that beeline straight for your face. I have not, however, finished the game, so I'm not sure if there's a stark drop-off.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I have gone melee, and now I've found a special shotgun that I have no skills in, and it seems to be more powerful than my super expensive fully upgraded sword.

So I guess yes.

Though I also like the melee system, so I'm not going to switch. The ranged system is a rehashing of the musket interface from Risen 2-3, which was pretty bad, and only tolerable because it was easy to cheese combat sections of those games with it.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where can you find charisma trainers?

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

Where can you find charisma trainers?

There's one in the first town, the lady running the store on the second tier, opposite the tavern iirc.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Pretty sure Sinda, the Goliet trader lady, is one. Check your minimap, it tells you what people are once you talked to them once. Maybe you've met one and didn't notice.

IBentMyWookie
Apr 8, 2003
The only problem with the game so far is the fact that weapon requirements are too drat high. Being level 12 and only being able to equip a hatchet sucks.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Dear god armour is expensive. I'm beginning to think the 'Clerics' are just a MLM organisation for 1000%-mark-up official robes.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

IBentMyWookie posted:

The only problem with the game so far is the fact that weapon requirements are too drat high. Being level 12 and only being able to equip a hatchet sucks.

It's super weird because there ARE relatively low requirement weapons out there but they're super hard to find, and at some point around the early 30's in stats you start suddenly being able to equip loving everything, and get a new weapon every level if you invest your points right. They probably should've evened out the distribution a bit more...

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Random thoughts:

Plot-wise, the sequel hook seems kind of interesting. Possibly more interesting than the setup of this game.

Also I have no idea what happened in the Domed City at the end because as I approached the "final door", I got a quest to go see something in the Domed City. And then when I entered the room, the quest auto-failed immediately. Going over there in the post-credits showed that something really bad had happened but not why or how. Weird quest triggers.

Finally, if you didn't find it, every converter has a secret loot stash with elex potions and other good stuff if you're willing to use your jetpack a little at the very top.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Man everyone in the Domed (:lol:) City are doing their best at convincing me that they're all deserving of an early death.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
90% of NPCs and the protagonist in Piranha Bytes games are assholes, that's just their jam. Now shut up and eat that moldy bread.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Man everyone in the Domed (:lol:) City are doing their best at convincing me that they're all deserving of an early death.

I am sure the separatists are just looking for a place to stay. :suicide:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
First impressions seem to be that this is a Piranha Bytes game, with everything that entails. But that it's one of the better ones. Is that pretty accurate?

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
I'd say that's accurate, with the difference that from my experience Elex seems to be way less buggy than your typical PB game on launch. Apart from that, this review does a good job of highlighting both the positives and negatives imo, give it a read: http://ragequit.gr/reviews/item/elex-pc-review-english

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Positives:
Legitimately an engrossing open-world RPG which is so rare these days
Negatives:
The combat, oh god the combat

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Cam somebody please post how the Caja quest is supposed to end? I think it is bugged in my game, I'm virtually done with the story and the flag to progress it has still not fired.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

MiddleOne posted:

Negatives:
The combat, oh god the combat
I haven't tried it yet, I'm only level 8.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Cam somebody please post how the Caja quest is supposed to end? I think it is bugged in my game, I'm virtually done with the story and the flag to progress it has still not fired.

It stopped for me after the second time she takes me to a world heart. Maybe the quest is tied to her approval or something.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Meatwolfe posted:

It stopped for me after the second time she takes me to a world heart. Maybe the quest is tied to her approval or something.

Well, I got her to idolized, and then even finished her relationship quest... So I don't think that's it.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Well, I got her to idolized, and then even finished her relationship quest... So I don't think that's it.

I couldn't find anything online, maybe it's bugged?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meatwolfe posted:

She only took me to a World Heart once, and now claims to be finished (after visiting the Crater).

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

She only took me to a World Heart once, and now claims to be finished (after visiting the Crater).

Yeah, that's right. The first place she takes you to is nowhere special, forgot about that. I'm guessing the crater is the big circle on the right hand side of the map?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meatwolfe posted:

I'm guessing the crater is the big circle on the right hand side of the map?

There's a teleporter called "the Crater" in Iguanadon. She goes to Xacor first though.

Are there any energy weapons with a higher base damage than the Redeemer? It's hard to see what something will be once fully upgraded.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Really starting to get bummed out with the game around lvl 22. There's almost no quests left and the ones I do have I'm still somehow underleveled for. I've had to drag the combat difficulty down from difficult to easy just to be able to actually complete the quests I do have and even then a lot of them are borderline impossible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Have you been to all the cities? I was around lvl 40 when I entered the final chapter, and most of that was from questing.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All of them, I even double-checked online to be sure.

EDIT: The only quest-hub I haven't been to is Berserker Island.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
After 7 hours, decided to quit on this one.

Well, it's a turd.
It's old-school, but we wouldn't have old school if new one wasn't substantially better.
Nobody designs games like this anymore, for a good reason. If I want mental torture by lovely and lazy game design, I'll play Dwarf Fortress or whatever, at least it's rewarding and fun.

I have no idea how it got rather high review scores, all it needs is Valusoft as publisher

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I'm now lvl 23, I've dialed the difficulty all the way down to easy, I have no quests left and yet the last stage of Nasty's requirement quest is all but impossible. :wtc:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, that was a tough one. Are you in a faction? Are you still in chapter 1?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

MiddleOne posted:

I'm now lvl 23, I've dialed the difficulty all the way down to easy, I have no quests left and yet the last stage of Nasty's requirement quest is all but impossible. :wtc:

Are you using grenades? Grenades are the solution to any sort of difficulty in this game, imho. They're just incredibly powerful. I always buy a full stack of them whenever I walk by a merchant, and they've never let me down.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Oh my god and then the games figuratively drowns you in tens of thousands of XP as part of the converter assault quest. What in the actual gently caress, did no one playtest this game? :psyduck:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

I ran out of ammo in that once and had to start cycling through other weapons.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Oh my god and then the games figuratively drowns you in tens of thousands of XP as part of the converter assault quest. What in the actual gently caress, did no one playtest this game? :psyduck:

Why's that bad? It's a major story quest. The main issue I would have is that they let you do the insane boss fight with Nasty before proceeding along the main quest line.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The quest that gates you to the Converter assault quest has an enemy which requires a higher level to beat than anything in the actual Converter assault quest (gently caress it, almost everything outside of Xacor). The converter assault gates a shitload of act 3 quests and I literally ran out of content in trying to become strong enough to actually beat Nasty's recruitment quest. Why was I stuck grinding out monsters for levels 23-25 when the first thing happening after you beat the drat thing is that the game immediately rockets you into lvl 28? It's really dumb. :psyduck:

Like this is an issue that could be resolved in 2 seconds by slightly de-powering the Colossus. But for some reason the developers didn't.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Oh, you have to go through the Ulbricht Assault to get the Converter quests? I thought that was obtained independently from Separatists. In that case... yeah, that's suboptimal.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Oh, you have to go through the Ulbricht Assault to get the Converter quests? I thought that was obtained independently from Separatists. In that case... yeah, that's suboptimal.

You don't, there's like one locked converter you can only enter after the assault but you can go do the rest as soon as you speak to the separatists.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

MiddleOne posted:

The quest that gates you to the Converter assault quest has an enemy which requires a higher level to beat than anything in the actual Converter assault quest (gently caress it, almost everything outside of Xacor).

You can just talk to the separatist leader like right at the start of the game to get the shutdown codes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Finished the game, kinda surprised to see post-game victory tour. I can't even remember the last time I saw that in a game.

grate deceiver posted:

You can just talk to the separatist leader like right at the start of the game to get the shutdown codes.

The Ignadon converter does not work like the other converters in the game.

• Locked thread