Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Oh, right, I misunderstod what you mean.

Yea, that one is whack. Trolls and Collosi are stupid resilient. I'm shredding mechs and elexetors left and right with my laser rifle II, but the only thing that can touch those big ones seems to be burning debuff from the flamethrower. Even direct rocket to face doesn't phase them.

There are even worse ones. Patrons, I think? Tall skinny mutants. Those fuckers are untouchable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Because of the way the damage system works, you do no damage at all then you get an upgrade and suddenly you're shredding them. Every point counts, and make sure you take the Mutant Slayer talent.

The good thing about Patrons is that if you have Animal Trophies 3 then you get 6 lumps of elex from each one.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
also while it doesn't help with guns, in melee your strong attacks and finishers can hurt enemies even if your weak attacks are doing no damage. they also tend to stagger even larger enemies like trolls.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Animal trophies even at its first level breaks the game so hard I'm surprised someone didn't put it in the thread title.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

MiddleOne posted:

Animal trophies even at its first level breaks the game so hard I'm surprised someone didn't put it in the thread title.

Considering the fact that power is literally money and vice versa in ELEX, Animal Trophies are even more mandatory skills than even regular Gothic. Still the game's worst and most unbearable points are its combat. If you want to break the game, find a flamer and stunlock to your hearts content.

Meatwolfe
Oct 31, 2011
I can't find anyone that sells flamer ammunition anymore

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Meatwolfe posted:

I can't find anyone that sells flamer ammunition anymore

That was supposed to have been fixed by the patch.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there any non faction super armor that you can find anywhere? I'm locating a few legendary weapons that aren't on the internet yet, but I'm mad that they don't let you find some non faction binding old world armor to wear while you avoid committing to any dumb group and nearing level 30.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I don't think so. Now that I think of it, I don't believe there ever was any Piranha game that allowed you to obtain non-faction late game armor.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The game's armor system ends up being super-boring for a number of reasons:

1. Armor values are mostly meaningless
2. You're just going to use faction armor anyway as soon as you get it
3. Therefore armor is virtually nothing but a money sink
4. It's not like you're going to use any of the helmets after you find your first pair of sun-glasses

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
They didn't patch the sunglasses armor out? Is it even a bug?

An "Armor system" didn't exist in Gothic either. You would just always use the one best armor available. I think there's only one period in NOTR where you could reasonably choose between different things.

Oh and I just realized they removed resistances from armors (or didn't but the game doesn't tell?)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

This game's biggest crime is that I can't wear that sweet Alb armor. I'd even settle for the weathered separatist version.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

MiddleOne posted:

The game's armor system ends up being super-boring for a number of reasons:

1. Armor values are mostly meaningless
2. You're just going to use faction armor anyway as soon as you get it
3. Therefore armor is virtually nothing but a money sink
4. It's not like you're going to use any of the helmets after you find your first pair of sun-glasses

If Dark Souls has taught us anything it's that armor is for fashion over function.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Armor values are anything but meaningless, though?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Armor values are anything but meaningless, though?

Yes, you do get the choice between being wet tissue-paper and dry tissue-paper. Hugely important gameplay decision.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Regent armor looks pretty cool.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Jesus gently caress is the final battle lovely. Why yes I love to be stunlocked to death by constant rocket salvos while being chased by half a dozen mooks in a small arena. Great design, A++

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

MiddleOne posted:

Yes, you do get the choice between being wet tissue-paper and dry tissue-paper. Hugely important gameplay decision.

By the end of the game I was relatively tanky.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
i'm in this for the story and worldbuilding so i just use a trainer

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado
the best thing you can do in this game is get out of edan

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

spaceships posted:

the best thing you can do in this game is get out of edan

Edan rules, it's all downhill after it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
gently caress the haters this game is good

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

I've now played this game for around 25 hours and I'm about to quit it entirely, which I've never done with a PB game. Not even Gothic 3 despite the fact that it corrupted my savegames twice or more around launch time.

I love Gothic, 2 the most, even 3 to a degree. I already found the Risen series mostly boring and their games steadily decreasing in the quality that to me made Gothic as great as it is. ELEX now seems to have nothing left but interesting world building and a few gritty remarks here and there.

There is no character in the world I care for. They all are either entirely uninteresting or simply dicks (or both). I don't care much for the story either, doesn't drag me in nor is it particular interesting.

With the expansion of their game worlds, PB lost the control over authoring these worlds and make them as intense and immersive as they did in the first Gothic games. They already struggled there with G3, but since that one was never really a finished product and is just playable due to the CP I'm not so sure if they would've managed to make it. It still felt more directed as Elex. Risen went back to be rather tight and small in comparison, and now they think they got their tech in place without unwanted savegame destruction and can create a huge world, but apparently they can't.
Elex is in so many ways amateurish in it's execution that it kind of brings back memories of "AA" games. Their deliberate choice (at least I've read that in an interview somewhere) to keep the team small seems from my perspective as a wrong choice.

Beyond the writing and setting choices, there are many things that simple manpower could've solved, such as proper facial rigging and dialogue animation. It's wooden and unimaginative. Now PB never stood out in that area, BUT - and I find that quite interesting - especially G1 and 2 where most animations did not came out of an (badly controlled) automated system but were build by hand it gave the games a special character. I just started G2 the other day and even compared to what would've been possible that time they aren't technically *good* (under the presumtion to achieve "realistic animation") but they had their very own handwriting which - once used to - added to the overall atmosphere of the game world.

Since Risen it just looks generic and therefore boring. That handwriting is lost. That is also true for the story as such, which seems to suffer under the amount of characters and places. It's a size issue too.

So the mix of bad authoring in terms of technicalities plus bland and unimaginative characters/story makes the mess complete. I used to like the gritty/sarkastic-but-child-friendly writing style. It was refreshing, especially in G1/2 which are imo the best example of a *German* game. 95% of the time German translation and/or VO is just the worst.
For the Gothic series though they chose perfect VOs. The unnamed hero in G2 is capable of being mostly a cynical but still has the ability to offer some kind of believable serious tone. Never happend again after they switched. Risen was particular annoying.
That might be less interesting here since most of you probably play it in english. And from what I gathered in Elex that could even be the better choice, which is even more annyoing. I might try to switch to english if I decide to continue.

Now all that aside the game itself is horrible lacking. Combat is a chore and very unrewarding. XP for monsters is totally off (I know there is a skill to raise that, I have no faith that it actually is good though) and the feeling is horribly wooden without much pleasure. The world is great and invitens pleasently for exploration, but the game dynamics constantly undermine that. I've been to so many locations now where I beat "half the cave" and then ran into some obstacle. Either I couldnt crack the code/lockpick the chest or couldn't defeat that last enemy. Thats another part of what I mentioned above in terms of bad authoring. The game has no guidance in terms of enemy placing. It doesn't know what it wants to be. It offers basically an open world, with the PB typical barriers, but untypically no guidance there. You run into unkillable enemies every 2 meters and either exploit the hell out of the game or go away. That is mostly unsatisfying. Especially since I chose ranged combat, so dependency on ammunition (why wouldn't I though, its a scifi game, lazers!)

And of course all the "small" issues. The awful interface (why. the. gently caress. do I have 100 1-row categories but as soon as I want to sell all the poo poo I only have 3? Seriously. Why? Thats a major point of all PB games, unlimited inventory. They never screwed up as much as they did in Elex. Even the 1-row inventory of G1 was more intuitive) not to speak of its ugly, bland design. The general movement, the really horrible double-tap implementation for rolling (should I try playing it with a controller?) The often horrible post processing volumes that turn a pretty nice landscape into a milky scene of generic "this is what post-apocalyptic looks like in my stereotypical driven mind"-poo poo.
Why is there just a stupid radar instead of an actual minimap? What is with all the abrupt camera and movement? Do they not know bézier curves? :psyduck:
There are so many questions. PB consists of many veteran devs but it doesnt show.

The world itself is tremendously great, as I said, it really invites for exploration. There, PB did not disappoint in making it interesting. Some quests are really nice, like the one with Rat from the Outlaw camp. But mostly it seems like a disconnected mess.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

To me, it's worse than Risen in every way. More awkward, worse story, worse combat, awful interface.

It feels like they went straight from Gothic 3 to Elex. Zero lessons learned from Risen 1, which I thought was awesome.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Risen 1 was extremely good imo, and felt like a true successor to Gothic 2, the design of the island and all of it's caves and poo poo had a Khorinis vibe and was a treat to explore

Gothic 3 had the awesome decision to cast Crispin Freeman as the Nameless Hero and he nails the lovable, kinda sarcastic dick vibe so well

I'm enjoying this game a lot but it's clear there could have been more polish and I keep forgetting about my jet pack. Also I feel like the compass isn't the most precise thing but apparently there is a skill that upgrades it usefulness?

Edit: and Elex really really is missing out on not having Kai Rosenkranz doing the soundtrack, the music for the Gothic games is loving fantastic and Risen 1's acoustic guitar sound is :discourse:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
The jetpack is the best part of the game if for no other reason than it basically makes the strafe glitch to negate falling damage from Gothic 1 into a legitimate game mechanic.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To me it feels like Risen 1 with much more polish. The world has the usual PB feel and is as enjoyable to explore as any PB game. The combat is imho far superior to Risen, since I always thought the melee in that one was virtually impossible to use (it's the only game I can think of that takes input while the current animation is playing, and chains new animations to play after it, locking you into a long and ineffectual attack sequence if you press the attack button more than once). As for the story and characters... I guess that's individual preference. The Gothic games never were particularly deep, I think Elex is a step up, but I agree the Nameless Hero was better, just because of how earnest and chipper he was in comparison.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I tried Risen after playing through Elex and about 30 minutes in I quit because of what an unpolished mess it is.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

never play risen 2

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Was starting with risen 3 the wrong call? :v:

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

To my understanding Risen 2 & 3 are pretty not good. Just play 1.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

MiddleOne posted:

Was starting with risen 3 the wrong call? :v:

no wonder you didn't like it

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
After 15 hours trying to recapture the magic of Gothic 1&2, I'm giving up on this.

haldolium posted:

With the expansion of their game worlds, PB lost the control over authoring these worlds and make them as intense and immersive as they did in the first Gothic games. They already struggled there with G3, but since that one was never really a finished product and is just playable due to the CP I'm not so sure if they would've managed to make it. It still felt more directed as Elex. Risen went back to be rather tight and small in comparison, and now they think they got their tech in place without unwanted savegame destruction and can create a huge world, but apparently they can't.

And this is the crux of it for me. I like the approach of having static levels and the risk-reward of straying from the path, but I absolutely DO need an actual path. The Gothics, or New Vegas for example, had a pretty clear linear main quest(s) progression to follow, and they always managed to convey the information about where you should go, where you could maybe go, and where you couldn't. Here it's just trial and error of running in one direction until I smash my head into a wall, turning around and doing it again in another direction, on a map that is far too large for this kind of "exploration".

Edit: Final score: Excruciating.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Nov 21, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
whoever im playing as has the emotional capacity of a doorknob. I feel like strider and the other ex-Monolith soldiers after having their brain scrambled (little s.t.a.l.k.e.r reference for ya)

This game totally reminds me of KOTOR I and II for a variety of reasons, including the clunky movement and combat. That and the main menu drives home the idea that this game was made as a PS3 launch title in 2006 but wasnt released until now. But its still interesting, time will tell.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

This game has a metric ton of problems but what makes it stand out is that it's actually interesting, in spite of all its faults.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there any way to make sure I can consistently equip new weapons? Is it possible? It seems like all of the weapons even at the first vendor in the Bersker town have crazy high stat requirements?

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I haven't played in a long time so I don't know if "Cold Increased" has an actual effect now, but I did use every bit of Natural Elex to craft the medium sized elex potions which give 5 stat points. It helped a lot. Saving up for the skill point potions didn't seem worth it since the skills also have high stat requirements.

Also you don't have to worry about equipping new weapons for a long long time once you find the energy sword +1 in a basement during one of the Berserker town quests.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Which quest is that?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

omg chael crash posted:

Which quest is that?

If you visit the mana shrine in Goliet, the guy there gives you a quest to track down someone whole stole a bunch of Elex; in the basement of the building this guy is in is an Energy Regent Sword I (43 Str/Dex), which has 47 atk and does non-physical damage so armor is fully negated. Be aware though, the basement is full of poison gas so you'll need to be quick or pop some chems.

plainswalker75 fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jan 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
The previous poster who complained about repeatedly running into mobs that outclass you was pretty accurate. 5 hours in and i'm still getting murdered by everything and anything besides the newbie village mutant rats.

I'm doing quests for leveling, but straight up mob-hunting for fun is kinda impossible right now. I'm still goofing off with a cultivator bow and axe with spikes. I'm not really sure how to make myself less fragile.

• Locked thread