Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

buglord posted:

The previous poster who complained about repeatedly running into mobs that outclass you was pretty accurate. 5 hours in and i'm still getting murdered by everything and anything besides the newbie village mutant rats.

I'm doing quests for leveling, but straight up mob-hunting for fun is kinda impossible right now. I'm still goofing off with a cultivator bow and axe with spikes. I'm not really sure how to make myself less fragile.
In my experience, recruit a companion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
For the first couple of hours, just run. The few animals you can reasonably kill without needing 10 tries are still incredibly annoying to fight and give so little experience that it doesn't make any difference.
Getting Duran as a companion is very good, he takes a lot of heat off of you. You still have to run around the map a lot to finish his recruitment quest, and this means running from unkillable mobs most of the time, but that's Elex.

Next, grab the Energy Regent Sword (see last page) and find yourself a shield. Those two weapons allow you to kill any NPC in a duel using the knockdown combo, so there are a lot of quests you can do, especially in the Desert camp.
It's also good to know that, unlike Gothic 2, you don't lose any quests if you join a faction as soon as you can. So you can acquire better armor. Grab the Animal Trophy skill asap so you'll have enough money.
I did all this and I think it took me 15 hours until I could kill most of the monsters you find in the open.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

sicDaniel posted:

It's also good to know that, unlike Gothic 2, you don't lose any quests if you join a faction as soon as you can.
Well poo poo I have been wasting my loving time then and next time I boot up the game I should join my chosen faction (the guys with laser guns) ASAP.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
So you can join tree-hugger medieval LARPers and not piss off outlaws and clerics? I've been drawing mental comparisons to Fallout NV so i'm trying to avoid being considered kill-on-sight by any large group when im this weak.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Yes the only quests that are cancelled are the actual recruitment quest, nothing else changes, such as the Outlaws questline which leads to the terrible boss fight.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uOPjPDOSZQ
this happened today

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Extremely disgusted with you opting for a helmet instead of shades.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

buglord posted:

So you can join tree-hugger medieval LARPers and not piss off outlaws and clerics? I've been drawing mental comparisons to Fallout NV so i'm trying to avoid being considered kill-on-sight by any large group when im this weak.

It's more like picking your character class. You'll get the armor and access to skills for your chosen faction but you can still go hang with the others and do quests for them.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord

MiddleOne posted:

Extremely disgusted with you opting for a helmet instead of shades.

my dude if I could find a shotgun or even shades for that matter id be set. I feel like I missed something vital in the first portion of the game.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

buglord posted:

my dude if I could find a shotgun or even shades for that matter id be set. I feel like I missed something vital in the first portion of the game.
Have you tried pickpocketing the guy who teaches you to pickpocket in the berserker town?

There's also a different pair that highlights different stuff on top of a wind turbine thing near the Domed City.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Zereth posted:

Have you tried pickpocketing the guy who teaches you to pickpocket in the berserker town?

There's also a different pair that highlights different stuff on top of a wind turbine thing near the Domed City.

That climb was such a pain in the rear end with the janky jetpack controls

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

plainswalker75 posted:

That climb was such a pain in the rear end with the janky jetpack controls
The fact that your current level of jetpack charge stays even through a quickload doesn't help. So if you gently caress up, which you will thanks to the janky controls, when you quickload to back on the step you started form you need to wait for your jetpack to recharge from the thing you just reloaded to before doing.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
13 hours in and combat still is heavily stacked against me. I'm making some progress, but its pretty glacial and everything seems to kill me right off the bat. I upgraded my weapon so it could actually be useful, but then the skill requirements for it shot up and now im empty handed. Maybe Ill set this down and try Risen.

e: expanding on this, I know there's guides out there and specific actions to take so I can be less fragile, but its silly having to research the (very few) guides out there instead of playing the game organically.

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 28, 2018

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

I'd say Risen is 10x better than this game. All of the good and (mostly) none of the bad.

The open world Witcher 3 thing just doesn't work for PB games.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf
Go into the gameplay settings and turn your damage up and enemy damage down; you'll still die a lot, but it'll feel more like "normal" difficulty in any other game. Then when you're a bit more leveled you can increase the difficulty until it's fun but challenging again.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

the black husserl posted:

I'd say Risen is 10x better than this game. All of the good and (mostly) none of the bad.

I'd say it has the same world design philosophy as Gothic / Risen, but with jetpacks. The defining feature of old PB games was that the maps were very structured and constrained, making exploration more difficult, but also allowing a more satisfying placement of rewards. The same goes for Elex, imho, the only question is whether the jetpack allows you to circumvent the PB model to such an extent as to defeat it.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

the black husserl posted:

so if I enjoyed elex, which other PB games should I play? Are all of them worth playing, which would you recommend first?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Sweeper posted:

so if I enjoyed elex, which other PB games should I play? Are all of them worth playing, which would you recommend first?

If you like Elex then play Risen 1, imo.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sweeper posted:

Gothic 2 is their best, but it's going to be antiquated on many fronts, also it's probably even more punishing on early levels than Elex. As for Risen 1, well, I always thought the combat system was terrible even for PB. In contrast I think Risen 3 is the best in that franchise, despite the criticism it gets. It looks reasonably pretty enough, has the smoothest combat experience, and the most solid gameplay in general. But it's a much more action adventure sort of game compared to Gothic or even Elex, imo.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Played elex and the risen trilogy recently, echoing risen 1 next. risen 2 and 3 are bad imo and 3 especially with how they did patty, 2 is better than 3

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Buglord
just WHAT WILL HAPPEN if we start to rely on technology?!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bought this game on a whim last week to scratch my RPG itch.

It is somehow both good and addicting while simultaneously being terrible in some ways.

I have managed to get myself locked out of joining the berserkers by not completing the quests correctly apparently.

For example, I retrieved the three parts from the giant machine, but let the idiot guard return them instead of directly giving them to Jora. I then go to Jora and tell him, he says good job and rewards me, but Ragnar says that Jora reports I failed to get his parts. Fucker.

The people in town get all pissy if I look at my map or inventory because of the evil tech, but have no problem with a damned death drone hovering along behing me making comments, or even an Alb trotting along with me while openly carrying a plasma rifle.

Strange and quirky game, but overall I am still enjoying it. I really wish I could fix things with and join the berserkers though, because I am way too invested in a sword and bow at this point, and switching would be painful just from a money standpoint as my weapons have been upgraded multiple times.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Game is now 50% off at gog.com. Anyone still playing and willing to comment on if patches have made things better?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Game is now 50% off at gog.com. Anyone still playing and willing to comment on if patches have made things better?

Game was great for what it is at launch so I don't know what you'd need those patches for.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Elex is cool as hell dude

DSLAM
Apr 4, 2008

Just got done with ELEX. exploration of hard to reach areas actually giving rewards was a nice touch 8/10

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I enjoyed the game, even though I didn't finish (fairly typical for me). Easily got my money's worth out of it, so I would recommend if you like this sort of game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Was searching for recommendations for Risen 3 and found this thread. So figure I might as well ask here. I loved Gothic 1/2 and thought risen 1 was "ok" but I enjoyed Elex, and might actually just play it again but go for a "max cold" run. Is Risen3 worth it? Better or worse then Elex?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Worse imo, the first risen is the best and third is the worst. Elex is better than all of them

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Blue Train posted:

Worse imo, the first risen is the best and third is the worst. Elex is better than all of them

I can't get Risen 2 or 3 to run on my PC. 2 won't start up because it's incompatible with the current version of Physx, and I tried downgrading which didn't work. And 3 crashes if you have your DPI set to something non standard, which I can't use my computer without. I know 2 and 3 aren't great games but I still wish I could play them.

Elex sounds okay if you're used to Piranha Bytes gameplay but I wish they'd lower the price some.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Blue Train posted:

I definitely think 3 is better than 2 but they're both quite, quite bad

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I actually replayed Risen 3 recently. It's good, imo. The combat is pretty much the same as Elex without stamina. The story is perfunctory at best, but still not as bad as the storytelling abortion that was R2. As far as I'm concerned, all PB games stand or fall on exploration, and R3 is quite good for that, so on the balance it's definitely worth picking on the cheap at least.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I enjoyed Risen 1 for feeling like Gothic 2.5, but Risen 2 was such a broken terrible mess I never got around to trying the third game

Elex is good though

• Locked thread