Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I haven't been to the Cleric towns yet, but I really like the Berserker town and I really dislike the Outlaw town. I also don't like the Outlaw armor designs, especially the way their hands clip into their armor when they fold their arms. Don't see myself playing as one, sadly, in the Gothic games I always liked each faction.

Here's some advice for new players. Get a shield and a one-handed weapon and you can defeat pretty much any human enemy, at least in 1v1. With a shield, your strong attack knocks them down. When they start attacking, block or dodge, until their stamina bar is empty. Then knock them down. Your stamina regens, theirs doesn't. When they stand up, hit them 2-3 times, finish with another knockdown. Repeat forever.

Doesn't work on monsters because their stamina works differently and they can hit back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Ohhh yeah I finally leveled up enough (and crafted a dozen of elex potions) to wear that Energy Sword I found in a ruin. 53 str, 43 dex, I think. It melts through enemies.

If you want that sword: The priest at the Mana shrine in Goliet gives you a quest to find an Elex thief. You'll find him (and his mutant brother) in a building nearby, there you can go down the stairs into a poisonous basement. You'll take some damage but the sword is right there at the bottom of the stairs.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Turn off autolock in the difficulty settings asap everybody, especially if you play kb+m.

What is the general opinion on elex potions? The small ones with +100 exp are worthless of course but should I drink all the medium ones for attribute points, so I can use better gear, or craft them into skill point potions? Don't know how much I gimp myself in lategame if I waste potential skillpoints.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
A reddit poster has compiled some information about skills and what they actually do in terms of numbers, like hp or stamina, which the game outright refuses to tell you for inexplicable reasons. Don't know how accurate it is but it indicates which skills are worse than they sound (extra hp) or are bugged (haggler).
He also says that sunglasses, despite showing 0 armor in the game, actually give you 10 armor.

https://www.reddit.com/r/elex/comments/782zto/some_concrete_info_on_skills_and_other_things/

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
If the 'Elex potions cause cold' works retroactively my guy will be an icecube.

I have to admit I don't even know the gameplay consequences of that system, apart from that one set of skills. Is there any?

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Pretty sure Sinda, the Goliet trader lady, is one. Check your minimap, it tells you what people are once you talked to them once. Maybe you've met one and didn't notice.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
They didn't patch the sunglasses armor out? Is it even a bug?

An "Armor system" didn't exist in Gothic either. You would just always use the one best armor available. I think there's only one period in NOTR where you could reasonably choose between different things.

Oh and I just realized they removed resistances from armors (or didn't but the game doesn't tell?)

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
I haven't played in a long time so I don't know if "Cold Increased" has an actual effect now, but I did use every bit of Natural Elex to craft the medium sized elex potions which give 5 stat points. It helped a lot. Saving up for the skill point potions didn't seem worth it since the skills also have high stat requirements.

Also you don't have to worry about equipping new weapons for a long long time once you find the energy sword +1 in a basement during one of the Berserker town quests.

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
For the first couple of hours, just run. The few animals you can reasonably kill without needing 10 tries are still incredibly annoying to fight and give so little experience that it doesn't make any difference.
Getting Duran as a companion is very good, he takes a lot of heat off of you. You still have to run around the map a lot to finish his recruitment quest, and this means running from unkillable mobs most of the time, but that's Elex.

Next, grab the Energy Regent Sword (see last page) and find yourself a shield. Those two weapons allow you to kill any NPC in a duel using the knockdown combo, so there are a lot of quests you can do, especially in the Desert camp.
It's also good to know that, unlike Gothic 2, you don't lose any quests if you join a faction as soon as you can. So you can acquire better armor. Grab the Animal Trophy skill asap so you'll have enough money.
I did all this and I think it took me 15 hours until I could kill most of the monsters you find in the open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sicDaniel
May 10, 2009
Yes the only quests that are cancelled are the actual recruitment quest, nothing else changes, such as the Outlaws questline which leads to the terrible boss fight.

• Locked thread